ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #1
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Power Commander - Full Yoshimura - Dyno results

So I had just had an awesome time at Dynojet.
These guys really know their stuff. The whole experience was a real education for me. And they are such lovely people.

They did their R&D and I had my full Yoshi system fitted and custom mapped.
There should be mappings to download very soon off the website and if you have a FI 250....... get a power commander!!!!!!!!

Whilst they did their R&D I wasn't able to see all that they did as I had to respect their wishes for privacy which is totally understandable. They have the right to keep trade secrets secret after all. So I cannot comment on what the R&D was but I do know that they did test analysis with the snorkel in and the snorkel out and there was no difference aside from the extra sound of air rushing in, which is totally unheard with the yoshi exhaust fitted.

And as for the Yoshi exhaust. OMG!!! I've seen all the clips out there on exhausts for the 250r and none of them do a full Yoshi any justice at all - it no way sounds like a 250, the sound is so deep.
For anyone that says a loud exhaust doesn't help people know you are there....... they are wrong.
With my HIDs I've had a pretty good time of cars seeing me as I approach, but now..... when I'm filtering, I just give the accelerator a little twist and it's like I'm moses parting the red sea. They all just move to make room.

When they finished, they showed me the dyno results and I have to say that I was disappointed. I was hoping for more.
But the 300 mile ride home was a different story.
It's like a diferent bike. This being my first bike, I still do the odd dodgy gear change and it gets a bit jumpy. All that's gone, it's so much more forgiving and I can ping the clutch with little regard. Shifting through the gears is like cutting through butter with a hot knife. It's so damn silky smooth.
Beforehand I found that when manouvering in the 0-40mph range, I deffo had to be in the right gear or the bike would have little to no pull and on occassions be close to stalling, but the problem with being in the right gear was that the accelerator could be a little twitchy (I do have the quick turn throttle assembly)..... now I can lazily filter in 4th gear and bike still has plenty of pull but with a much smoother ride and I still have the option to downshift if I need more.
I found this out when I came to a stop after a long session of filtering and I had to downshift way more than expected. I'd lost track of what gear I was in and expected to be in 2nd due to the speed I'd been going and the performance of the bike at that speed. When I stopped, I still had 2 more gears to downshift to get back to first. I couldn't believe it.
Low end grunt has been significantly improved.
And from a stop, pulling away is sweetness personified. It's much smoother and constant all the way to redline (the sound of the yoshi at pull away is frickin awesome too) and I found I was upshifting sooner than I was used to.
On the motorway, I did try to max it out but traffic never gave me a clear enough run to stay in 6th at full throttle. But I can say that on the way there (stock) the bike maxed at 100, 11,000rpm and wouldnt go above that unless going downhill.
On the way back, the bike was able to venture past 11k rpm on its own merit and the speedo showed 108 with a bit more to go on the rev counter.

Obviously the speedo cannot be relied upon for accuracy but it's clear that there's more room at the top now (and that applies for all the gears).

It's like a different bike. It really is.
I'm well stoked and I cannot recommend this enough if you have a FI 250.

The pics below show a Power Commander 3USB but you will be able to use the PC 5 which is smaller, lighter and has more mappings stored onboard if you want to switch between them.
As I got my mapping and PC for free, I'm happy with the 3USB and it more than meets my needs.

Well I hope my comments help, here's the pics and dyno

The full Yoshi

The O2 eliminator that's needed to replace the sensor that mounts into the stock pipes

The Power Commander mounted under the passenger seat

The dyno results - snorkel removed for all, green = stock, red is the yoshi with the baffle, blue is the yoshi without the baffle

ps.. I will post final pics and complete DIYs, bikes a bit dirty right now and I have alot to do at home

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #2
snowlife
ninjette.org member

Name: snow

Motorcycle(s): BMW f800gs

May I be the first to say, Well done. I did similar to my 250 and the engine response is much better over the entire range + more fuel efficient.

I would love it if all 250r were FI. I wish to get one for my girl in Australia BUT the are carbie models in AUS. Hopefully they will make FI standard round the world for 2010 model.
snowlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlife View Post
May I be the first to say, Well done. I did similar to my 250 and the engine response is much better over the entire range + more fuel efficient.

I would love it if all 250r were FI. I wish to get one for my girl in Australia BUT the are carbie models in AUS. Hopefully they will make FI standard round the world for 2010 model.
I second your thought. Just like the automobile industry has gone strictly with FI I believe the motorcycle industry needs to go in that direction.
Why?
1. More power
2. Better fuel efficiency
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #4
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Ill keep my carb, Thank you. Easy to tune and makes more peak horsepower. If I lived in a state that had a 4000 foot elevation change, Id sing a different tune. Here in Illinois its flat as a pancake. Love that FI in a 600 cc bike, hate it in a 250. I need every pony I can get.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Kevin - according to the US & UK service manuals, the FI motor actually makes 1 more hp than the carb motor. Not like 1 hp will make a difference to folks, and the variability between particular machines can be more than that rated difference. But it's not an accurate statement that as a rule the carbed engine makes more hp than the FI engine for the 250R. Here's a link to the rated specs from the 2 service manuals, UK FI version has 33 PS, US carbed version has 31.8 PS. (1 PS = 0.98632 hp). Before seeing that, I thought the carbed motor had more peak power as well, as it has been posted quite often on 250 boards, and I had posted that up as well, even just earlier in the linked thread.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #6
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Well, I dont want to start a argument here but I will state this much. When I goto the drag strip, I dont see a bunch of 9 second cars running FI. All of the guys I know that run under 10 seconds have carbs. Most of them can afford FI if they wanted it. Do you know how both bikes were set up? Did the guy tuning the carb have alot of experience at it? My carb made over 32 HP with the quiet core exhaust. A look at his dyno sheet tells me that he didnt break 30 HP with the Full Yoshi and a shortie. Dont believe my numbers? Area P got 31 HP plus with there carb, So did Yoshi. Maybe the guy doing the fuel map wasnt the greatest? I cant explain why his FI bike didnt make more HP than my carb model. Might it be true that for peak numbers "you cant beat a carb down the track" as all my friends at the strip say.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's nothing to argue about, just read kawi's own specs of the stock bikes. As rolled off the showroom floor, the FI bike is rated at slightly higher than the carbed bike. Now when it comes to modified bikes, maybe some folks get better results with the carb, maybe some get better with FI. Perhaps it's easier to mod the carbs for more power on our bikes, perhaps changing the FI significantly is more expensive and more trouble than its worth?

Seems like any discussion about what's best for 9-second cars at the drag strip is in a completely different realm. Wouldn't that require 600+ hp? Maybe it is easier to build up such an engine with carbs rather than futzing with FI that can flow enough gas. Though if we're talking about other high-performance motors, every modern racing motorcycle on the planet uses sophisticated FI rather than carbs, including those in series where the rules are completely open and would easily allow either (MotoGP).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
maglin
ninjette.org member

Name: xaris

Motorcycle(s): what else?

Very nice!!!

I was thinking about PC since i have the FI ninja but it isn't cheap...

It could cost up to 550 Euro (about 830$)!!

Old November 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #9
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Xaris are you adding the tunning into that cost or is that just for the unit?

Old November 30th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #10
maglin
ninjette.org member

Name: xaris

Motorcycle(s): what else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Xaris are you adding the tunning into that cost or is that just for the unit?
Yes the price includes and the tunning cost.

Old November 30th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #11
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Name: Brahmantio

Motorcycle(s): N250R

you should try to enable the Accelerator Pump feature for the PC3, you may love it,help with the throttle response on a sudden throttle twist . Never tried it on the 250 cause theres no FI 250 here, but some guys with cbr600 and on my gsxr definitely feel the difference.
bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

^ So you liked the Acc Pump feature? I tried a few different settings on the R1, just didnt care for it. Maybe with the 250 it wouldnt feel so abrupt
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #13
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Name: Brahmantio

Motorcycle(s): N250R

eah somebody there should try it, see if its good for the FI 250's
bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #14
hackeron
ninjette.org member

Name: Roman

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r (2009)

What was the horse power on the stock FI ninja? - any difference in acceleration to 60?

Also, how much did all this cost and is there anywhere to do this around the Romford area? :P
hackeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #15
vaibhavtri001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Vaibhav

Motorcycle(s): Honda 954, Ninja 250R, HondaF4

hi Guys,

I have got, Ninja 250R Fi (2010), and wish to put in the totsubo exhaust systems on my machine. toshubos exhaust system is shown in the link below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHGwD9ENVA

Can you guys please advise on the mods that I need to do on my machine, so that I can achieve the optimum performance with out harming the engine.
Im a new bie here and need your advise and guidance on the same... please help

thanks,

Vaibhav
vaibhavtri001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #16
Ricmon
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricardo

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250r FI

Hi there,

I´m new here. Í'm Portuguese so excuse me for my bad english

Can you tell me how do you got the connections from the PC to the bike? I can find a PCIII for half the price but not shure if i can use it in my 250. Can you help? TY
Ricmon is offline   Reply With Quote