ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #1
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Dad broke the screw on my kickstand killswitch

I don't know if that black cloud that's been following me around for a week now will ever go away. Tonight i had a night off. SUV still at the shop since Friday so i decided to put my RT lowering links tonight. When i finished with no problem after doing this myself i put the bike down and didn't like how the bike was almost standing a little too straight so decided to install the RT stand. There was no DIY on this so i figured it can't be too difficult.

Dad came to help this time. After trying unsuccefully to take the bolt off of the stock kickstand we then came to the conclusion we had to take the safety killswitch off first. Well knowing that everything is super tightned on this bike i gave it my best shot of taking the screw off but it slipped a little and stripped it a little. My dad being the genius he is tried with the wrong screwdriver and made it worst. He then proceded to use a special bit to take out stripped screws with his drill and drilled a nice perfect hole in the screw.

He desperately took his vise grip and finally took the screw off. Put the new kickstand in but had forgotten to put the plastic washer back in. I asked him to put a new screw but he didn't have any patience to go look in his many jars so he put the old screw back in when it finally broke while trying to put back in.

Now my problem is how do i remove the broken piece that is in the hole. Now i can't drive my motorcycle unless i can bypass the safety killswitch from the kickstand cause as soon as i put in gear it dies. Help!!!!
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2
kkim

look in the service manual page 16-47. it has a drawing of the kickstand switch. try bypassing the switch by jumping the g/w wire and the bk/y wire at the connector and see if the bike will start.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You need to use a very small punch to drive out the old screw until enough sticks out to grabit with pliers.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #4
BlueRaven

I would of looked in my manual but unfortunately it's in my suv which as you know i haven't seen since last week.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
kkim

didn't you get another manual?

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
BlueRaven

What really pisses me off now i really don't have a ride.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #7
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

You can use an extractor if the punch doesnt work out for you. Easy and cheap to obtain at any hardware store. Just to give you an idea of what it looks like and how to use it look here http://homerepair.about.com/od/inter..._extractor.htm
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #8
BlueRaven

my parents computer is in the shop so i couldn't look it up in this forum either.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #9
BlueRaven

Thanks for the link dirty boy i will go to hardware store and pick it up if i can find a drive there.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #10
kkim

well then look at my first post and just try jumping te wires I listed. There are only two, so try bypassing the switch by tying them together somehow.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #11
BlueRaven

Thanks kim. I think i'll wait to see if i can the screw out cause with my luck i'll do something wrong and mistankely set the bike on fire if i mess with wires even if it sounds really simple.

Old May 13th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #12
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

I did the same thing to my buddy's bike when I was putting the original kickstand on. You CAN still ride the bike, just make sure the switch is rotated up. That switch will have a small raised area where it fits into the little "swingarm". You can grip it with some pliers and rotate it counter-clockwise. Now, this does trick the bike into thinking the kickstand is always up, so be careful. If you try to start the bike while it's in gear w/o pulling in the clutch, it will lurch. I will take a pic in a bit of that raised area so u know what I'm talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #13
BlueRaven

I took a quick look last night and couldn`t see anything but that pic would really help if you have it mo1981. Don`t have a day off to have time to work on the bike but hopefully when i do get some time off i will have time to try to take the screw out and buy another to replace it so i won`t have to bypass it.

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

I'm sorry, man. I am going to be out of town till next week. The part that rotates is the hub that the screw is broken off in. You should be able to rotate that part a 1/4 of a turn or so. If you don't have it fixed by the time I get back, I promise I will post a pic of what I'm talking about. I apologize for the delay, I've been pretty busy getting ready for vacation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:54 PM   #15
kkim

shouldn't you be on a plane?

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #16
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Flight leaves @ 11a cst.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #17
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

LilOne - when you go shopping, according to the parts list that is a 6x25 flanged bolt -

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #18
BlueRaven

Thanx don i was kinda of wondering what type of screw it was. Looked in bikebandits website and it didn't indicate what size but i figured it was a 6. Lungs not good today so i'm home resting and took the night off from work to help speed recovery. I'll probably wait till next weekend to work on the bike as it's pretty cold and rainy here lately. Wouldn't want to end up in the hospital.

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #19
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Take care and don't mess with any thing respiratory. One of my Team In Training riders got walking pneumonia four weeks ago and of course didn't tell any one and has tried to tough it out.

Here's the link to "parts" Part Number 92002A

Get a good rest and plenty of fluids

Old May 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #20
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Reverse drill bits work extremely well also. They're more than extractors but work better

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #21
BlueRaven

I got a set of grabit bits at canadian tire. One end of the bit is an extractor and the other is for stripped screw so dual purpose. Now just need time to do it. Bike is at parents garage and my cage will only be ready at the end of the week. Hopefully this weekend i will have it working.

Old May 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #22
BlueRaven

I went to the hardware store today with the head part of the broken screw and told them i needed a 6x25. The clerk came back and told me my screw was smaller than a #6 and was a #4. I told him i'd check with the kawi dealer then.

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #23
kkim

you need a metric screw... those are standard grade measurements the clerk was quoting you.

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #24
BlueRaven

I told him it was metric and he proceeded to the back of the counter where all his metric screws were so he said. All the other screws were in the aisle.

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #25
kkim

did the broken part you took with you have any of the threaded part still on it or was it just the head? I like to screw a nut onto any broken bolt just to confirm the size and threading are correct.

Old May 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM   #26
BlueRaven

Yes there was little thread left on it and that is a good suggestion kelly. Would of never thought of that. You are wise.

Old May 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #27
BlueRaven

Well gave up and went to the kawi dealer which was an hour away and he gave me 2 screws to try. Dad made more damage to the broken screw so i finally hung up my hat and gave up. I remembered that my boss's bf is really good at working with bikes so i went for a visit and helped me out. He took the whole switch apart and took the part that had the broken screw in it and put it in the vice drilled a hole in the whole screw took the grabit bit and yanked it out after a good half hour of working on it. Now i'm back on the road. Went for an hour ride and man it feels good to be back. Finally. The end.

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #28
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Yea I am glad to hear that your ordeal is finaly over!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #29
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Just took my kick stand off. Did not even mess with a driver. Tr pulled it off with vice grips. I want to replace that bolt with an Allen head one. I know it is a 6x10mm does anyone know if the are the threads considered standard??? fine or course. or JIS? Good REAL hardware stores are limited around here.

Looking for place to order online that doesn't charge a million dollars for shipping.
now looking for stainless. Good site with some hardware info. it you are interested
http://www.boltdepot.com/

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #30
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
Just took my kick stand off. Did not even mess with a driver. Tr pulled it off with vice grips. I want to replace that bolt with an Allen head one. I know it is a 6x10mm does anyone know if the are the threads considered standard??? fine or course. or JIS? Good REAL hardware stores are limited around here.

Looking for place to order online that doesn't charge a million dollars for shipping.
now looking for stainless. Good site with some hardware info. it you are interested
http://www.boltdepot.com/
I usually double check threads on bolts by running the bolt into nuts I have on hand and see what fits and what bin they came out of. Short of that, take the bolt to the autoparts store and try their metric selection to see what fits.

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #31
zartan

yep the old stand by way... thanks!

Hard to find good store without going into seattle. Lowes is a joke. Just wondered if Blue R. ever got the actual thread pitch. most likely will need to go to Seattle. bah! big city ...

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM   #32
zartan

Got the Kickstand shortened finally ( inch) and to replace the dreaded phillips that is giving people trouble on the stand kill switch, I went to Fastonal hardware and they matched up an M4 bolt with a
Stainless socket head ( Allen) for me.. They actually had stainless Woot ! sweet. I have 3 extras btw....
and some black steel ones too.