ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Lemon laws?

I'm selling my bike, I heard that my after market turn signals may not pass inspection. If I sell a bike and the new buyer cannot get the bike to pass inspection will they be entitled to a refund?

http://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/.../lemon-law.php

I read through the lemon law resource for Massachusetts and all it said was "If your newly purchased vehicle―new, leased or used―fails to pass inspection within the first 7 days after purchase, and repairs to the vehicle would exceed 10% of the purchase price, you can cancel your purchase or lease agreement and ask for a refund, under the Lemon-Aid portion of the Lemon Law."

If I sell the bike for $1,400 then new turn signals wouldn't cost $140...

I'm sure it would be okay, but any extra insight would be appreciated...

----------------------

Also, if a person wants to ride the bike, would it be proper for me to hold the money while they ride it (in case they dump it)? I see people do that a lot (the asking for money first). What would you do?

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

I can't help you on the lemon laws for your state, but I can tell you I would never let anyone test ride a bike without them handing me the cash first. What's to stop them from dumping it or riding off? I also insist they sign an agreement stating that I am holding XX amount of dollars, they agree that by signing this document they understand if they damage the bike during the test ride, that they have bought it for XX amount of dollars. I tend to not be very trustworthy of buyers that appear after I've put something on Craigslist, though.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you can buy legal turn signals for less than $30 on ebay.

just don't spend the money until 7 days has passed

Old June 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

same as above, no idea about the laws in your part of the world, but the bike wouldn't leave the driveway without at least a decent deposit & the rider's driver's licence staying on the table.

If you're getting a wad of cash count it out & check each note with a note checker pen, the old scam is to do a few real notes surrounding a wad of fakes.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

@Rogue Thanks sister. I will definitely ask for some sort of collateral or deposit of some sorts before I allow them on the bike.
@alex.s Yeah, Since you can buy them legally for only $30 it will be well bellow the 10% mark.

And I could never imagine someone trying to hire some suit to bring me to court over $1,400 lol.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
And I could never imagine someone trying to hire some suit to bring me to court over $1,400 lol.
which is why small claims court exists.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
same as above, no idea about the laws in your part of the world, but the bike wouldn't leave the driveway without at least a decent deposit & the rider's driver's licence staying on the table.

If you're getting a wad of cash count it out & check each note with a note checker pen, the old scam is to do a few real notes surrounding a wad of fakes.
Actually the newer fakes will read correct on the pens. The only way to truly check is to hold it up to the sun and look for a banner. I wouldn't do this in front of them though... kinda over the top. If it's fake I will tell the cops and they will get the guy.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
which is why small claims court exists.
If it were small claims then I could just pull that webpage that shows the 10% rule.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
If it were small claims then I could just pull that webpage that shows the 10% rule.
"but i'm not a mechanic and this mechanic i got to give me a quote listed it as three hours labor which puts the cost at $300 so now i'm asking for $300 of the original price back, plus an extra $300 for the time and hassle of being out a primary vehicle due to it not passing inspect blah blah blah blah"

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
"but i'm not a mechanic and this mechanic i got to give me a quote listed it as three hours labor which puts the cost at $300 so now i'm asking for $300 of the original price back, plus an extra $300 for the time and hassle of being out a primary vehicle due to it not passing inspect blah blah blah blah"
What about... "This vehicle is sold as-is without any other considerations"?

Not to mention I could give them another mechanics opinion and I believe a judge would see it straight.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Actually the newer fakes will read correct on the pens. The only way to truly check is to hold it up to the sun and look for a banner. I wouldn't do this in front of them though... kinda over the top. If it's fake I will tell the cops and they will get the guy.
you're assuming the guy giving you fake money also gave you accurate information. "yeah cops, he was about 5'6".... normal looking... green eyes, brown hair... took off with my bike... "-- "yeah... we'll get right on that" as they crumple up your ****** description that matches 20% of the world.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Forget the turn signals, what are you going to share about your bike's continuing drivability issues?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:29 PM   #13
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

and IANAL but I wouldn't be 100% sure the law would cover your bike after it's been dropped and having been tinkered with to get running right...

Quote:
Vehicles Not Covered by the Massachusetts Lemon Law

Motor homes

Vehicles built primarily for off-road use

Vehicles used primarily for business purposes

Vehicles with defects caused by owner negligence, accidents, vandalism, or unauthorized repair of the vehicle by a person other than the manufacturer or authorized agent

Vehicles leased before July 1, 1997.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

@iamjacob yes lemon laws wouldn't exactly cover my bike, since it has been dropped and repairs were made by myself. However, maybe not... I mean dropping a bike may not be considered an "accident" since the frame is still intact and all the mechanisms work properly. Also I never really did a "repair" all I did was maintenance work to be honest.. "cleaning carbs, spark plugs, hoses, etc."

@Alex The bike is running great now, the problem with the spuddering was finally fixed when I found out that I needed to clean a needle jet, which was covered in filth.

If you are referring to the idle problem, then he will surely discover that when he sees the bike. I don't believe it's anything more than a vacuum leak caused by a crappy hose clamp. I'm sure 90% of my problem is that most of the hoses are tied down by zip ties.

@alex.s I live in the suburbs over in the woods. No busses swing by here. The guy would have to arrive by a car or some sort of vehicle. He steals my bike, I have his car with a license plate. Also, I'm not sure if you know this but the federal reserve takes counterfeit money "very" serious. They would track him down and arrest him... sure I would take a loss. But I guess that's risk. We all take risks all the time, come on, us as motorcyclists know alllll about that

@ everyone: To be honest, I've been living on craigslist (metaphorically) and I can honestly say my ninja is the best bargain on there. At least for my generation.. every other ninja is listed for 1,800+ And the only one that's listed for $100 cheaper has 18,000 miles on it.

I'm asking 1,600 I will take 1,400. It actually is a really fair deal for the MA section of craigslist I just want to not get scammed myself to be honest. Turn signals are $30-50 and a 1 hour install with little known experience. That's the only thing I am worried about really.

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #15
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Makes me glad I live out in the "wild west", where we don't have mamby-pamby laws like that for used, for-sale-by-owner motorcycles.

The buyer looks the bike over thoroughly, discussing condition, rework, repairs, crashes, maintenance, and the like with the seller. Then there may be a test ride (never had a problem as a buyer, but then I'm old, trustworthy-looking, and usually show up on a bike).

When the buyer pays the seller and the seller signs over the title, the bike's a "UFO" (you friggin' own it). No finger-crossed do-overs, replays, or sissy stuff. Better file with the state within 15 days. And no molly-coddling, big-brother, safety-for-the-greater-good inspections.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Agreed with Dave on the laws. As over-regulated as some areas of California law are, this isn't one of them. As-is pretty much means as-is for used motorcycles, which makes selling things that aren't perfect a bit less risky. For cars, a seller does have to certify that it has successfully passed emissions within the prior 90 days, but as there isn't an emissions test for motorcycles (yet), that law doesn't apply. I have had some problematic bikes in the past (*cough* buell blast *cough*) which had what seemed to be unending mechanical issues. I got it fixed up enough that everything was working at one time, which meant it was immediately time to sell.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Makes me glad I live out in the "wild west", where we don't have mamby-pamby laws like that for used, for-sale-by-owner motorcycles.

The buyer looks the bike over thoroughly, discussing condition, rework, repairs, crashes, maintenance, and the like with the seller. Then there may be a test ride (never had a problem as a buyer, but then I'm old, trustworthy-looking, and usually show up on a bike).

When the buyer pays the seller and the seller signs over the title, the bike's a "UFO" (you friggin' own it). No finger-crossed do-overs, replays, or sissy stuff. Better file with the state within 15 days. And no molly-coddling, big-brother, safety-for-the-greater-good inspections.
hahaha you're funny I wished I lived out west... lots more places to ride around out there too.

Old June 16th, 2014, 04:19 PM   #18
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I got it fixed up enough that everything was working at one time, which meant it was immediately time to sell.
Hahaha, that's "exactly" where I am at with my bike. Everything works now, get rid of it.