ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Pensacola Road Trip

Me and a friend just came back from a road trip to Pensacola and back. Its about 600 miles from Palm Beach to Pensacola depending on how you go. We cheated and took the bikes up in the back of a truck and then rode them back so we only did it one way.

We took I-10 to US 27 and came down on that instead of the interstate. Its a high speed 4 lane road that is 65 most of the way. We passed through lots of small towns along the way. For the most part, it was a lot less boring than the interstate.

The biggest problem we had was the seats which felt like we were sitting on nails after riding for a while. It was strange that we'd stop at McDonald's every 30 miles or so to use their free wifi and the hard plastic seats they had were actually more comfortable than the padded bike seats.

Anyhow, we didn't have any problems other than that. There was a confusing incident with the cops. We got lost in Pensacola trying to find a shortcut to I-10. We pulled over to try to figure it out and another biker on a cruiser putted by. We decided to follow him because he looked like he knew where he was going. So to catch up to him, we probably did about 60 in a 25 zone. He was probably only doing about 20. He slowed to a crawl to cross the tracks which were in bad shape. So we both did the same. Just as I crossed, I heard these screeching tires and a pickup truck passing me, crossing the double yellow, then passing my friend, then siren and blue lights, then pulling over the cruiser. As I passed the cop truck, I saw it had a bumper sticker "Watch for Motorcycles". In Pensacola, its common to see that bumper sticker as there are a lot of bikers there.

Not that I'm complaining (the cop left us alone), but it did seem unfair to the cruiser in that he was the only one of the three bikers that wasn't speeding. What's also unfair is that I saw several cars before the biker that were also speeding right in front of the cop who had been hiding in the bushes.

Before we left, we also came across another biker who had been stopped, apparently strip searched (wearing nothing but his underwear) with about 5 cop cars around him. Not sure what it was all about, but it seems strange that we saw the local cops in action twice and both times it was involving a biker.

I think all in all it was a cool road trip. I think before I go out again, I'll be looking for a way to fix the seat for touring.

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I've thought about riding to my brother's place in Florida, but don't want to buy luggage just for the trip. The thought of driving down the coast won't escape my brain though.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #3
n4mwd

I used a gym bag for my suitcase. I threw it on the passenger's seat and used two bungees across it in a X pattern. Plus I had my trunk, tank bag and backpack.

In hindsight, I could have gone without the backpack. It wasn't too bad, but it would have been better without having to have it on my back the whole way. I had the trunk filled with sodas and emergency supplies like fix-a-flat and oil). I think just a bottle of water would have been adequate.

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM   #4
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I decided to pull the trigger. My buddy and I are leaving on 6/17 and rolling to Pensacola.

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Great trip, D.

How long it took?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM   #6
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Great trip, D.

How long it took?
We took two days at about 300 miles each. Any more than that and it wouldn't be enjoyable. I'm back in Pensacola right now but without the bike. I expect to leave by truck in a few days.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #7
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
We took two days at about 300 miles each. Any more than that and it wouldn't be enjoyable. I'm back in Pensacola right now but without the bike. I expect to leave by truck in a few days.
We are going to attempt all 550 miles in a day. I've made that trip so many times in a car, I'd have a hard time justifying spending money on a room over night. We're prepared for that contingency if the need arises though.

Old June 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #8
n4mwd

If you haven't already, I recommend a smaller, day trip first. The Ninja seat is fine for around town, but it really sucks on long rides.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #9
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Talking

Quote:
If you haven't already, I recommend a smaller, day trip first. The Ninja seat is fine for around town, but it really sucks on long rides.
I've had as much as 5 hours of saddle time in one day before with no saddle soreness. I think I'll be okay. Probably has something to do with years of cycling. If anything, my knees will be sore instead.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #10
ManOfGod
ManOfGod

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250r Scuffed and scratched blue...soon to be black, I think...

Quote:
I used a gym bag for my suitcase. I threw it on the passenger's seat and used two bungees across it in a X pattern. Plus I had my trunk, tank bag and backpack.

In hindsight, I could have gone without the backpack. It wasn't too bad, but it would have been better without having to have it on my back the whole way. I had the trunk filled with sodas and emergency supplies like fix-a-flat and oil). I think just a bottle of water would have been adequate.
Where did you get the mount for your tail trunk?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him might have eternal life."-John 3:16
ManOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 03:13 PM   #11
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfGod View Post
Where did you get the mount for your tail trunk?
I built it. I drew up the plans here:
http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/File:Ni...ackPlansv1.pdf

Old June 17th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #12
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Corbin seat

n4mwd buy a Corbin seat you'll love it! I did Ohio to Daytona, FLA; Ohio to Watkins Glen New York and Ohio to Indy Moto GP all on my 250 Ninja using the Corbin seat.

If you sell your bike you can ALWAYS sell the Corbin seat separately and get most of your money back.