ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #41
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
I'm still in. I think this would be great late spring, but I have never ridden on the trails before so I really have no clue! Camping sounds like fun still.
Yeah offroad is a blast... pretty much completely different than street except for mechanics of bike (brakes, throttle, ect...) 50mph on a street bike on the highway feels like nothing.....50mph on a dirtbike with trees whizzing past you 2 feet away.....feels like light speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why? I'm not trying to convince you to do anything but It sounds like your are afraid. At least of group riding. Did following/keeping up with the group help cause the incident?

Regardless, hope you get better and get your confidence back up!
^actually been racking my brain a bit trying to figure out the best way to manage the group on the way up to keep everyone comfortable and safe but also let some of the more experienced riders have some fun. Most of the roads are pretty straight forward (not many intersections) and am not to concerned about losing people as anyone who gets far ahead can just stop and wait for people to catch up if they get confused about route. And maybe get some of the experienced riders to take turns bringing up the rear just incase someone at the end of the pack does happen to go down there would be someone there and have some form of a relay to the rest of group. I don't know, haven't really been on any group rides. But

But some of these roads are quite twisty in combination with increasing and decreasing elevation, so like everything, you want the reward of riding the fun roads you deal with the risk, just don't feel pressured by other riders and ride at your own pace. We are all out to have fun and i'm sure faster riders don't mind waiting an extra 30 seconds for people that don't like to scream every where

but much of group dynamics would depend on how many end up going.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #42
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Actually, the accident had nothing to do with my decision. I had made this decision prior to the accident. I was already telling my husband I'm sick of group rides. I had already intended the ride I was doing where my accident occurred was the last for me. Didn't expect to have such a dramatic ending. But it ended up being that way. lol

Riding in groups was a learning experience...meeting different types of riders and seeing how they do...from super new/slow to super crazy and aggressive...I learned who I like to ride with and who I don't like to ride with. I learned what part of a group ride I fall into...usually in the middle but not the very end.

I just, I don't know, trying to get people to ride and meet and a time and a place and who's leading and who's going, who's canceling, etc... it's just so much of a hassle for me. It takes the fun out of it.

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #43
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post
Actually, the accident had nothing to do with my decision. I had made this decision prior to the accident. I was already telling my husband I'm sick of group rides. I had already intended the ride I was doing where my accident occurred was the last for me. Didn't expect to have such a dramatic ending. But it ended up being that way. lol

Riding in groups was a learning experience...meeting different types of riders and seeing how they do...from super new/slow to super crazy and aggressive...I learned who I like to ride with and who I don't like to ride with. I learned what part of a group ride I fall into...usually in the middle but not the very end.

I just, I don't know, trying to get people to ride and meet and a time and a place and who's leading and who's going, who's canceling, etc... it's just so much of a hassle for me. It takes the fun out of it.
I understand where you are coming from, it is hard to get everyone on the same page when everyone has a different expectation and or preferences. I think working around this is going to be the hardest part of doing this ride. Hopefully everyone comes into it with a relaxed mellow attitude and they are just glad to be outside enjoying the weather and their bike even if that means taking a break and waiting a few minutes for someone.

Time will tell

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #44
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
that's why we got FAPPY!!

and by cock you mean a lot of roosters..!?
I'll be there, with my cock in hand.

Quote:
Though I'm not afraid to ride again, I don't think I'll be participating in anymore group rides. At least not next year.
Aww. Get back on da pony Jo! Especially if you have a new 300 next year... we all will want to see it.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #45
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

You think Greg would NOT let her ride again? Pfff.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #46
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

I think it will be great. Perfectly chill.

All we need to agree on is a meeting time, meeting place, and trip plan.
No hassle, no stress! Let's do it!

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #47
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
You think Greg would NOT let her ride again? Pfff.
LOL Greg would prefer I not ride again but he said it is totally and completely up to me.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #48
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
LOL Greg would prefer I not ride again but he said it is totally and completely up to me.
Whatt..... really?

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #49
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
Whatt..... really?
Really. He's really freaked out about what happened. He was pretty emotional about it all. He thought he lost me that day. He's not taking this lightly.

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #50
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Understandably so.

Old November 29th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #51
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Really. He's really freaked out about what happened. He was pretty emotional about it all. He thought he lost me that day. He's not taking this lightly.
Yup, totally understandable. I had been urging my wife to learn how to ride, and she had slowly started coming over to the dark side. After watching your vid and reading about your accident, I told her that I didn't want her to learn for me. If she decides she wants to share this hobby, then that is her decision. But the risk is real, and I don't want her taking it on because I begged. I guess I think about the risk to me on a regular basis, but thinking about you two made me consider what it would be like to think about the risk to her. Taking that on has to be HER decision.

This also made me empathize with how it must have been *for her* when I wrecked my Triumph. In some ways, it is much easier to be the injured, than to be the spouse of the injured!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #52
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Yeah, my wife rides a little offroad bike and she loves it. But when she goes down on that i get pretty worked up. Ditching my bike while still in motion to get to her is not uncommon. I know it is not really my decision but i would never encourage her to ride regularly on the street. I have no problem letting her take my ninja around the block (little to no traffic) or in the parking lot but that about as far as my comfort level goes.

Why are the rules different for me....can't say, but i can say that the decision for me to get a street bike was long and thought out, and have always been against streetbikes due to terrible cagers and am a firm believer in (everyone wrecks sooner or later) but here i am non the less and will not give it up since i've got a taste

Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:03 AM   #53
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
if it fits my schedule (which it's quite likely it will if it's next summer) then i'm in
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:18 PM   #54
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
if it fits my schedule (which it's quite likely it will if it's next summer) then i'm in
Good deal.

Once it gets closer to go time I will contact everyone that showed interest and see if we can't pin down a date and go from there.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #55
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

I still haven't made it to a group ride, and I might also be in NYC depending on the time of year, but I could be down.
BlueHairSar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:23 AM   #56
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
I still haven't made it to a group ride, and I might also be in NYC depending on the time of year, but I could be down.
No worries, ncSteve sounds like he will most likely be coming from NY, (not sure where in NY you would be) and maybe meeting up with some Eastern PA people on the way, could be like a group ride to the group ride.

Old December 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #57
Z-Trob
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 99 250, 06 Speed Triple, 2009 husky 510SMR

sounds like a fun time. I've been wanting to do a nice long ride for years now, and i see there's a few guys who could meet up first in the eastern PA area.

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #58
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

I just read this thread title and almost had hairs rise on my back
I'm in buffalo NY and I recently drove to MD in my car.
1 thing il say , it's not all 4 lane highway at 65mph.
It starts off for me on the 90 then off at springville. Take that 2 lane road to PA. From PA to MD 75% of the roads are 55mph 2 lane all up, down , steep turns , woods and mountains crazy ass roads! It's insane. I had a blast carving my way in my supercharged/cammed car but couldnt imagine 8 hrs one way on my ninja!
I ended up in la plata? Spelling ? Had to meet up with a member from my car forum for some parts too big to ship.
I'm super excited to hear how this goes down and if Im allowed to join, I'll definitely try to
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #59
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
I just read this thread title and almost had hairs rise on my back
I'm in buffalo NY and I recently drove to MD in my car.
1 thing il say , it's not all 4 lane highway at 65mph.
It starts off for me on the 90 then off at springville. Take that 2 lane road to PA. From PA to MD 75% of the roads are 55mph 2 lane all up, down , steep turns , woods and mountains crazy ass roads! It's insane. I had a blast carving my way in my supercharged/cammed car but couldnt imagine 8 hrs one way on my ninja!
I ended up in la plata? Spelling ? Had to meet up with a member from my car forum for some parts too big to ship.
I'm super excited to hear how this goes down and if Im allowed to join, I'll definitely try to

8hrs! yeah that is a bit much for my a$$ in the saddle. Trip from where i live in MD to destination in PA is only 3hrs. Not really comparable.

But yeah, some of the roads are insaine, combine elevation change with wicked curves. Should be a great time. I to enjoy driving on these roads in my car as well super fun.

Old December 12th, 2012, 08:00 AM   #60
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

8 hours isnt bad if you are riding fun roads and moving all over the bike. Throw in a few stops and you don't even notice you've been riding for 8 hours. Agreed, some of the roads through PA are crazy, a lot of the ones I ride are insanely curvy..gotta take them easy since some of the road conditions aren't the best, even in summer.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #61
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
8 hours isnt bad if you are riding fun roads and moving all over the bike. Throw in a few stops and you don't even notice you've been riding for 8 hours. Agreed, some of the roads through PA are crazy, a lot of the ones I ride are insanely curvy..gotta take them easy since some of the road conditions aren't the best, even in summer.
Some of the road conditions aren't the best? LOL Come on, let's be proud of our roads. They suck. I've actually heard from a few truckers that we have the worst roads on the east coast. I mean you can actually tell when you leave PA because all of the sudden the roads are actually smooth!

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #62
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
Some of the road conditions aren't the best? LOL Come on, let's be proud of our roads. They suck. I've actually heard from a few truckers that we have the worst roads on the east coast. I mean you can actually tell when you leave PA because all of the sudden the roads are actually smooth!
hahaa ok, yeah, they blow. all these amazing roads but the surfaces are just utter garbage. and then what makes my blood boil is that when I get to the ultra smooth roads, the few that exist, for some stupid reason the speed limit is 25mph!!

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #63
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
hahaa ok, yeah, they blow. all these amazing roads but the surfaces are just utter garbage. and then what makes my blood boil is that when I get to the ultra smooth roads, the few that exist, for some stupid reason the speed limit is 25mph!!
So true,

A lot of the roads i have in mind are actually decent, i am definitely going to scope some of them out after winter to see how hard they got hit by the plows ect...

But not only does PA have poor roads, their road construction is also bar none the worst. They take forever!!

Old December 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #64
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
So true,

A lot of the roads i have in mind are actually decent, i am definitely going to scope some of them out after winter to see how hard they got hit by the plows ect...

But not only does PA have poor roads, their road construction is also bar none the worst. They take forever!!
one back road i use to commute to work (i avoid I-83 on the bike during rush hour..its suicidal) has more bumpy/gouged patches than actual road. and it's always under construction so it's so slowww. i don't see why they can't just pave the entire thing once and for all. oh right, because the stupid goverment type people don't know how to manage money so all our taxes, tolls, etc, just go to waste.

i'm not sure if this is true or not..but I heard some Pennsylvania sports arena was partially funded using toll money??

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #65
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
one back road i use to commute to work (i avoid I-83 on the bike during rush hour..its suicidal) has more bumpy/gouged patches than actual road. and it's always under construction so it's so slowww. i don't see why they can't just pave the entire thing once and for all. oh right, because the stupid goverment type people don't know how to manage money so all our taxes, tolls, etc, just go to waste.

i'm not sure if this is true or not..but I heard some Pennsylvania sports arena was partially funded using toll money??

would not put it past them

I was amazed when i moved to Maryland how decent they are about paving highways. They actually go in with a game plan and execute. Do tons of work at night when it won't bother people. You wake up one day go to drive to work and what do you know.....new pavement, huh? sweet.

Old December 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #66
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
would not put it past them

I was amazed when i moved to Maryland how decent they are about paving highways. They actually go in with a game plan and execute. Do tons of work at night when it won't bother people. You wake up one day go to drive to work and what do you know.....new pavement, huh? sweet.
i want to move down south, the northeast sucks and is overpriced. lol

Old December 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #67
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

The problem with PA road construction is that it takes them so long, that by the time they finish it's time to start over at the beginning. It's like the people that paint the Golden Gate Bridge. It takes them all year, so they paint it pretty much 365 days a year!

Old December 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #68
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
OMG. I think that's the only speed limit they know. 25. It's ridiculous!! I just got pulled over the other night because the road went from 40 to 25 for no reason and a few hundred yards after the 25mph sign there sat a cop. 44 in 25... $160 dollars. I was so pissed. That's my first time I've ever gotten a ticket in my life too. Little high. Especially when a friend at work told me the other month he got pulled over for speeding, out of inspection, expired licence and expired registration.. 106 dollars.... WTF!!!!

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #69
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Is the top of Blue Knob a possible stop? Second highest peak in PA. I ski there every other year or so and the parking is all at the top of the mountain for the ski lodge and pub.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #70
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
OMG. I think that's the only speed limit they know. 25. It's ridiculous!! I just got pulled over the other night because the road went from 40 to 25 for no reason and a few hundred yards after the 25mph sign there sat a cop. 44 in 25... $160 dollars. I was so pissed. That's my first time I've ever gotten a ticket in my life too. Little high. Especially when a friend at work told me the other month he got pulled over for speeding, out of inspection, expired licence and expired registration.. 106 dollars.... WTF!!!!
damnnnn!! i know, there's always a cop sitting outside my apartment complex area trying to ticket people speeding through. the road's normal flow of traffic goes at 35-40, yet that's illegal. And if you get caught behind one of the sticklers actually doing 25mph, it takes a year to get anywhere, and you have to downshift to like 2nd gear to get up the big hill. ARGH!! glad i'm moving, new place has normal 35-45mph speed limits, i don't mind that.

as for blue knob, my friends and i love that place for snowboarding! totally want to try to make it out there for winter.

Old December 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #71
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Is the top of Blue Knob a possible stop? Second highest peak in PA. I ski there every other year or so and the parking is all at the top of the mountain for the ski lodge and pub.
We will go right past it but not to the peak, unless we wanted to go up and then come back down the same road which would be fine with me as that road is pretty fun. But the important thing for me is to take the one road out of the area as it is super curvy and follows the valley up and out. And actually i was thinking we would take this road on the way back to MD because there are some other roads the other direction that i think would be more fun to hit in that direction where as this blue knob road will be fun either direction if that makes any sense.

If you look at my google route i drew out early on you will see in PA it jumps on road 869 which goes right through blue knob.

As far as the resort for skiing snowboarding. I actually used to work there as snowboard instructor back in my college years. Know that place like the back of my hand. Great mountain when they have snow, it is very untamed trails are poorly groomed if at all and just kind of snake through the woods with lots of obstacles to play around on and or carve up. LOVE IT. But actual mountain size is tiny, vertical drop is good for PA, a few long runs but you will find it hard not to hit and or cross the same trail multiple times, there are generally only 2 real lifts running if that gives you an idea.

Hope that gives some info.

Old December 13th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #72
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

i went once after it dumped tons of snow, and my friend and I went through the woods only to find ourselves running out of speed and sinking into 4 feet of snow. Had SUCH a hard time getting out to the next run, took us like 25 minutes to go 200 feet!

Old April 25th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #73
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Getting excited for this!!

It is getting closer and closer to go time, and I think it would be good to get a few of the people that are truly interested in doing this to start batting dates back and forth. Once we get a date or 2, or 3 that should work I can look into reserving the Cabin for that particular weekend which should not be a problem except for a few dates here and there that are already booked.

Thinking 5-8 people would be Ideal. Plan is still a go with just 2 other people. making 3 total as the minimum.

Last i was up there driving around the roads were not to terrible with the rock dust they put down for winter. They had a mild winter this year and a lot of the grit is cleaned or washed off the roads already so that is good. I am pretty swamped in May so i am thinking early June would be great, and any weekend after that would be fine clean through Oct if we had to wait that long... i do not.

So lets see who is still paying attention and interested Should be a great time.

Quick overview of the game plan. Any MD people, unless you are directly north of Frederick we all meet in Frederick Saturday morning, Ride up to Thurmont where we pick up anyone else from MD + maybe some South Central/South East PA riders. From there we head towards Breezewood PA, potentially meet up with a few PA/NY riders that did not venture down to Thurmont. From there we continue to the Destination in Ebensburg PA via some nice enjoyable roads. With any luck we get to destination by 1 or 2pm. From Frederick it should be about 2.5hr-3hr ride give or take with stops and speed. We could get settled in, take a break, Then head out for an evening cruise of some of the roads around the area. Head back, hang out around fire, cook out ect... Call it a night. Wake up next day, depending on group mood, do another ride around area, for 2hrs or so head back to cabin. Get packed up take a break, eat then head back to MD or where ever you came from. If people want to get moving and heading home in the morning as opposed to doing another cruise so be it but majority may rule.
And unfortunately when we go for a ride, everyone must participate, sorry for not trusting mostly internet strangers alone at my families place so come prepared to ride, leave your b****ing at home.

Things you should bring... you, your bike, your gear. Everything else we need is there or close by that is pretty simple

Lets make this happen.

Old April 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #74
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
weekends June 8th or 15th
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #75
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Those both should be good for me. Lets hear from some others.

Old April 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #76
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
weekends june 8th/15th work for me, and I'll probably be good for a lot of other weekends as well especially planning this far in advance
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #77
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
awesome

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #78
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Hey guys. I'd still be interested in this as of now. I can't do the 15th of June, but the 8th would work. Keep me posted.

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #79
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

I'm not entirely sure of what days I have off right now. I need to update my calendar, badly. This summer is shaping up to be a pretty busy one for me, but I'll post back within the next 2 weeks with available times.

The plans look fine to me, and I totally get what you're saying with the parents place thing. Also "leave the bitching at home" should be the motto for every ride
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #80
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Anyone coming from another state other than VA. Please get a lay of the land and an idea of where you are going to join up. I will only be responsible for the route i planned out which is mostly outlined on the first page in one of the early posts. I will make some slight modifications to the route but these changes will be after we have picked everyone up.

Options are as follows, once we get a firm list of riders you could potentially try and meet up with other riders along the way that are on the same route if it is feasible to meet up with them on the way to the MD group. This being said with a quick glance at the map it looks like for anyone coming from PA meeting the MD group in Thurmont, MD, or Breezewood PA is the best option. If you meet us in Thurmont there are some good roads on the way up to Breezewood. If you meet us in Breezewood that is great tons of good riding yet to be had. Whatever is easiest for you, again you choose this route if you want to take the turnpike the whole way to Breezewood, its your prerogative.

People coming from Central/South Phili have a tougher decision to make. Head east on the pike towards Breezewood/Thurmont, or shoot down 95 to meet up with Me near Columbia, MD or along 70 west of Baltimore.

Keep in mind I would like to leave Thurmont at 11am, 12pm at the latest putting us at our destination at ~3pm giving us time for a break then an evening ride there. From Thurmont to Breezewood it would take us ~ 1.5hrs so you would not have to be in Breezewood until 12:30, or 1:30pm depending on the Thurmont departure time which will be solidified once we get definitive list of riders.

In short, if it is going to take you 3hrs to get to Thurmont, you will have to get on the road at ~8am, got it?