ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:26 PM   #1
kkim

Rearsets- Who needs them?

I'm thinking of ordering some rearsets for my bike, but I'm on the fence about if I really need something like this for a street bike. I don't particularly care for the peg position of the stock pegs on the 250R, but it is livable and I have had no clearance problems with them as of yet.

I know rearsets are useful for track applications when speeds and lean angles get more severe, but is this something that one would benefit from for the streets/canyons?

Can anyone who has switched to rearsets comment on the changes it has brought to comfort, ergonomics and weight distribution?

Thanks for any input.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Cling
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 06 Honda 1000RR, 08 Ninja 250

If you dont run your bike at the track and run extreme lean angles you do not need them, they are a waste of money that could otherwise be used on something actually important, like good tires.

The positioning is negligible, and the extra grip the same... you could get them for 'looks' but who wants to pay 350$+ for something where 99% of the population won't even notice a difference between the stockers.

If you ride the track, and run fast times to the point where your risking peg dragging and getting further off the bike isnt helping, then the 350$ is worth it, because its going to cost more then 350$ to fix your bike after you crash it because you jarred a peg into the concrete at 90 mph. Ask me how I know!
Cling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

yup... what he said

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

If it gets your foot out from that dumb ass saftey switch, Iam all for them
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
If it gets your foot out from that dumb ass saftey switch, Iam all for them
which switch.. the side stand switch?

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
which switch.. the side stand switch?
Yeah, its a freaking tumor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.JPG (38.7 KB, 49 views)

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #7
kkim

I would think that would be relatively easy to remove, even on a bike with stock pegs.

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Easy to remove, but it's a good switch to have for the new rider(wife)

We reshaped the lever, shimed it, and added that button head bolt for it. That and the wife's sidi b2's, it's not so bad....... I dont get why they put it in that location

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Cling
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 06 Honda 1000RR, 08 Ninja 250

Yeah, that switch placement is very stupid, its always been incorporated behind the kick stand mounting point on all my other bikes.
Cling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

I found out why your asking brother! The Satos are really nice, I have some on the R1. Allthough, I still drag the gear shifter around the track

Woodcraft / Sato think for exhaust & rearsets, it would be SATO

From the pic, that freaking switch comes into play. On the woodcraft site, they removed that switch.

Kelly, 350 for the sato's from dan seems pretty nice. I would e-mail/pm Cory over at motomummy.com, see if he can do better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearsetsNinja250L.jpg (78.6 KB, 25 views)

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
I found out why your asking brother! The Satos are really nice, I have some on the R1. Allthough, I still drag the gear shifter around the track

Woodcraft / Sato think for exhaust & rearsets, it would be SATO

From the pic, that freaking switch comes into play. On the woodcraft site, they removed that switch.

Kelly, 350 for the sato's from dan seems pretty nice. I would e-mail/pm Cory over at motomummy.com, see if he can do better
thanks... I'll try them if I decide to go for it. The price for quality adjustable rearsets seemed good, so I was thinking about it... though that Ohlins shock is calling me, too.

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
thanks... I'll try them if I decide to go for it. The price for quality adjustable rearsets seemed good, so I was thinking about it... though that Ohlins shock is calling me, too.
Ohlins is pretty nice, thats why I laughed at your other comment - "The R1 didnt need any up grades" I just bought Ohlins R&T forks & shock for the R1.
Dan Kyle is suppose to be the man for Ohlins stuff.

I just wonder why people are doing the rear shock before the front forks. Guess cause it easiest The front forks need the work

Wife keeps telling me.... "QUIT messing with Marvin" LOL

Here's a pic of my sato grind marks. Dam it makes my bike look dirty.. Got them up 1" and back 1/2". Iam 6' 2", any more and it would just suck riding the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sato.JPG (51.4 KB, 30 views)

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #13
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

I am confused about the safety switch on the side stand. How does it get in the way? And whats the "safety" part of it?
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Doesnt let your foot get into the gear shift lever completely.

Switch keeps you from taking off with the kick stand down

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #15
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Quote:
Doesnt let your foot get into the gear shift lever completely.

Switch keeps you from taking off with the kick stand down

Well, I haven't experienced that problem when getting my foot into the gear shift lever.

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I have an uncle, a relatively experienced rider, who broke himself up pretty bad after taking off with the kickstand down (on a bike without a sidestand cut-out). Worked great until the first left-hand turn where it levered his rear tire off the ground and down he went. On a track bike, sure, any weight savings may be worth it. For a street bike, I'm hesitant to yank off anything that can possible save me from my own stupidity. Of the 1000 times you take off, how many times do you forget to put the stand back up? Maybe 1 or 2 out of 1000, but those 1 or 2 could turn out to be terribly painful if that switch wasn't functional...

Can you still keep the switch functional with the rearsets? Or at least get a replacement switch?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderman7 View Post
Well, I haven't experienced that problem when getting my foot into the gear shift lever.

Well, you dont up-shift very much....... Or you have small feet.

That thing just wont get outta "our" way

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Ohlins is pretty nice, thats why I laughed at your other comment - "The R1 didnt need any up grades" I just bought Ohlins R&T forks & shock for the R1.
Dan Kyle is suppose to be the man for Ohlins stuff.

I just wonder why people are doing the rear shock before the front forks. Guess cause it easiest The front forks need the work
The forks are okay for me.. might need a bit more stiffening in the stroke, but the rear end is just plain rough over bumpy surfaces. If I back off the preload, the bike gets soft and wallowy and it's still rough going over bumps.

I'd like a firm, yet smooth suspension.

Old December 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #19
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Quote:
Well, you dont up-shift very much....... Or you have small feet.

That thing just wont get outta "our" way
Hmmm... maybe its the SIDI boots that I wear. I wear US 10.5/UK 44 and thats like average. My boots are like pretty small and sleek, kinda like PUMA shoes.

Old December 24th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #20
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I have an uncle, a relatively experienced rider, who broke himself up pretty bad after taking off with the kickstand down. Worked great until the first left-hand turn where it levered his rear tire off the ground and down he went.
That sucks

A Marine the other day, lost his life here taking his friends bike home form a restaurant. Police said it was due to the kick stand being down.... Very sad.

Keep the kick stand safety switch in place!

Quote:
Hmmm.. maybe its the SIDI boots that I wear.
It's the sidi's

Old December 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #21
TomB1956
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Green)

Quote:
Hmmm... maybe its the SIDI boots that I wear. I wear US 10.5/UK 44 and thats like average. My boots are like pretty small and sleek, kinda like PUMA shoes.
I wear the same size SIDI boots and I don't have the problem either...matter of fact I wasn't aware of the switch placement until reading this thread.
TomB1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #22
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I ordered a set, seemed like a great deal to pass up. I do plan to track my bike in the summer.

Old December 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #23
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by toku View Post
I ordered a set, seemed like a great deal to pass up. I do plan to track my bike in the summer.
Please let me know how the rearsets feel for street use and what changes they make to your riding position once you have them installed and adjusted.

Old December 27th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #24
toku
ninjette.org member

Name: Yuri

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Unhappy

Quote:
Please let me know how the rearsets feel for street use and what changes they make to your riding position once you have them installed and adjusted.
All I'll be able to tell you is how they feel sitting on the bike.... winter is upon us

Old December 31st, 2008, 12:26 AM   #25
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I feel like the bike would be more comfortable with rearsets. I find that the farther back I put my feet on the pegs, the more it lowers my knees, and the more comfortable the riding position is. I just cant see spending that much money on comfort, unless it really makes it that much better.

Kelly, are you more interested in these for comfort or the changes they make in how the bike rides?
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2008, 12:47 AM   #26
kkim

I think for both. The riding position of a stock bike is very friendly for a beginner. It's very upright with high bars and the pegs directly beneath the knees. I can see why Kawasaki did that for an entry level bike. I don't really care for the "sit up and beg" position it puts you in, but I can't fault that it's comfortable and have never missed a corner because of it... in other words, it works. I've also never scraped the pegs, but I'm careful on how far to lean the bike over because of the pegs. In essence, I ride the bike within it's limits.

My desire for rearsets was to possibly gain some lean angle without worrying about scraping the pegs. That and it would stretch out my legs a bit, too.

I was looking for feedback on how the rearsets would work with the relatively upright bars and if it would make the bike feel awkward more than help. It seems, though, the conventional wisdom is that if you don't take your bike to the track, they are a waste of money. I guess I was looking for more the pluses it provides than the negatives. So far, I've only seen negatives posted, so I'm still on the fence about this one. Those Sato rearsets a that pricing sure do look tempting, though.