ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:32 PM   #1
cruisincruzan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): BMW R1200RT

Bike purchase advice

Hi to all. My daughter just passed her MSF course and I promised her a bike and have decided that the 250R fits the bill. I will be checking out a used 2010 in a week. I have decided I want a stock bike. What particular things are important to look for in this bike when I ride it and when I look it over. Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I will play the role of "maintenance provider".
cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

FYI, 2008-2010 250's are essentially the same with very minor differences so you can save some money with a slightly older bike. Basically there were little color changes, they went from Dunlop tires to IRC from 08 to 09-10, and 2010 have black matte exhausts vs a chrome exhaust.
The 250 is a great beginner bike and I can't imagine too much happening in less than a year. Ask the owner how they broke in the bike and when they had their first oil change (recommended to be done before 600 miles to get rid of the metal shavings). As with any other bike, check for signs of it being dropped (scratches on the lower fairings, bar ends or levers). 250's aren't really stunted on, but you can check if the forks are leaking, uneven tread, etc.
There are also simple mods that actually make it more beginner friendly such as shimming the needles, removing the snorkel, etc. The bike does have a gas vent issue where it sometimes sounds like it's meowing, but it doesn't affect performance and I've actually never heard it on mine.
I do recommend that you bring your daughter to go sit on one. Comfort with her first bike is probably most important.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM   #3
cruisincruzan
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the info, my post does sound like I have decided this is the bike for her but she has checked a new one out at a dealer, fits on it very well and is very excited about getting one. I will search this site for some of the items you mentioned.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Seeing its her 1st bike and the stock tires are not the best, I'd recommend the 1st mod to be new tires. The IRC's are hard as brick, slide in corners and I find them unsound for a new rider. I changed mine out right after I purchased it from the dealer with the Pirelli's Sport Demon's and find that its far grippier, great in damp weather, and makes one feel planted on the road. The IRC's do not. If the used bikes you are looking at still have stock tires, turn them out and grab better tires for her own safety. Any other mods can wait until later while she gets used to the bike. Then time will tell and you'll have a better idea of what she'll need or ask for to add to the comfort and safety. Depending on her weight, you might just want to adjust her "pre-load" to put just a little more weight on the front end, that takes out the squirrellyness of the handling. It depends on where the setting is when you buy the bike. Both these things make a difference for new riders. It is the 1st thing I do with any bike I get.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

That's great that she likes it, it's an awesome bike. If you have lots of time to read, this FAQ answers almost everything.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Rid...ut_a_Ninja_250

Have her join this site and introduce herself in the New Members forum. People are really friendly here.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #6
cruisincruzan
ninjette.org member

Good idea about the the tires. I mount and balance my own tires so that would be easy enough to do. The only mod I will do right away is install some no-cut frame sliders and an autocom so that we can talk when we ride together. I will definitely have her join and say hello. She is 115 lbs. so the suspension shouldn't be working too hard. I'll also take a look at the FAQs.

I'm a member of a few BMW and Ducati web sites and have always found them to be the best source of info for the bikes, it seems the same thing exists here. Thanks again

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

I'd recommend keeping the shock preload at 1 for a 115 lb rider... I'm 120, and find that the suspension is hard as hell as-is -- every bump will be felt.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote