ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #1
illuzi0nz
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): None yet

newbie with another LED indicator issue

hi everyone, new to biking and new to the forum. im Anthony, nice to meet you all
i recently got myself some proton flushmount indicators and oxford rear led indicators. my friends then bought me the bike monkey integrated tail lights as a gift. however, i wasn't convinced that the integrated tail lights indicators by themselves were very attention grabbing so i decided that i would put all of them on lol; the proton flushmounts, oxford rear indicators and the integrated tail light. i have also bought the acumen flasher relay to replace the stock one.
i only just got around to attempting to hook them all up. however, i've gotten into a little problem. all the LED indicators work on the right side of the bike, however on the left side, the proton front indicator is struggling to flash while the rear indicators are still working fine. i've attached a video to demonstrate what i mean.
i initially thought that there were too many lights going such that there wasn't enough power for that proton indicator to work. but i disconnected the rear lights and the problem was still there.
could it be a faulty indicator? i came across the diode mod when i was searching for an answer, but that said that it's only required if all 4 lights were going off like hazards. would the diode mod fix my problem?
i appreciate your help and comments in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI5Aui3Ggxo

edit: i just tried to plug the left front indicator into the right side harness and its flashing abnormally as well. i think it may be faulty

Last futzed with by illuzi0nz; August 11th, 2011 at 05:36 AM.
illuzi0nz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #2
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

welcome

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #3
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

If you have leds in the front and back, you have to either install resistors or do the diode mod. Also, you don't mention it, but you'll need an led electronic flasher relay. I have a similar setup as you. Protons in the front, bikemonkey tail, and led bulbs in the rear stock housing. Never had any problems with blinking. I have the relay and did the diode mod.

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #4
illuzi0nz
ninjette.org newbie

i did mention that i have already replaced the stock relay flasher with the acumen LED flasher relay already lol. as for the resistors, the oxford rear led indicators came with resistors as well, which are already connected in the bike. everything is connected the way it is supposed to be. i just lack the diode mod in my set up, but i am not sure if that will fix my dodgy-blinking proton indicator .. i don't (yet) have the symptoms to require the diode mod. i just would like a bit more input before i actually do it.

Old August 12th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #5
illuzi0nz
ninjette.org newbie

no one else has any other ideas?

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
do you have a multimeter? if not you can pick one up from the store for $10. check what kind of power is going to the front left signal. it looks like either it's bad or its not getting enough power. what's different about it vs the right side? nothing?

what ohm are the resisters and how do you have them connected

Old April 9th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #7
Risky
ninjette.org member

Name: Glen

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2012

Same poblem

Hey mate, I just installed proton flushmounts on the front and have retained stock on the rear. I too have added a new electronic flasher relay and all but my front left lights work properly. The front left one is dismally underpowered and struggles to light up much at all. I too tried plugging the left side light into the right harness and it still flashed abnormally. I cannot see any other reason for it other than a faulty light. Did you have any success in fixing your problem?

Cheers!
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #8
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

May I ask you why and for what some of you are doing the diode-mode or connecting resistors? I don't understand this, because it's normally not needed.
Excuse me please when I say this, but this is like all the time, one is coming up with an idea and even it's crazy everybody's running behind.
The only thing you need is an electronic relay.

Could it be that you're using the daylight cable (is this the right word for it) together with the blinking cable at your ninjette?
At the protons you only connect two cables, one for the mass and the other one for the blinking mode.
I have the same setup with a led taillight and it's working great with only the electronis relay.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Excuse me please when I say this, but this is like all the time, one is coming up with an idea and even it's crazy everybody's running behind.
The only thing you need is an electronic relay.
False. With incandescent bulbs, when you apply the turn signal, the voltage going through the unlit bulbs is small enough that they don't light because the lit bulbs have enough resistance that there is not enough voltage to light the other side of the bike. When you replace these with LED's they light with significantly less voltage, so all 4 bulbs light, no matter what side is lit.

The diode mod just makes the halves of the bike directional so that only one side of the bike is lit at a time.

If you really think you can do 4 LED signals on a ninja 250 with stock wiring and just an electronic flasher, do it. I want video, because I know for a fact that 4 LED turn signals make 4-way flashers. The diode mod would never have been thought up unless it was needed in the first place.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post
Hey mate, I just installed proton flushmounts on the front and have retained stock on the rear. I too have added a new electronic flasher relay and all but my front left lights work properly. The front left one is dismally underpowered and struggles to light up much at all. I too tried plugging the left side light into the right harness and it still flashed abnormally. I cannot see any other reason for it other than a faulty light. Did you have any success in fixing your problem?

Cheers!
Hey Glen,

What kind of relay did you install? Even though it's an EF relay, it may not work. From my understanding, the protons aren't supposed to need a replacement relay. Try your stock relay and see what happens.

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

One important thing about the relay: it must be independent of load.
The protons even work with the oem relay. After I'd install my protons in the front I'd test and they've been working very well. Then I'd install the CustomLED integraded taillight and tested again with the oem relay. All four flusher have been working, the only thing was that the front and rear have been working alternately. When the front flushed the rear didn't and when the rear then came up the front didn't flush. The I'd install the electronic relay what is independent of load and everything worked fine and still does.
That's what Mike from Hightechspeed (Protons) told here in the forum and also whats told on the website of CustomLED.
The relay I'm using is like this: http://www.biker-discount.co.uk/kawa...fix-1483-p.asp
I hope this helps to clearify about this issue.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 12:35 AM   #12
illuzi0nz
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
False. With incandescent bulbs, when you apply the turn signal, the voltage going through the unlit bulbs is small enough that they don't light because the lit bulbs have enough resistance that there is not enough voltage to light the other side of the bike. When you replace these with LED's they light with significantly less voltage, so all 4 bulbs light, no matter what side is lit.

The diode mod just makes the halves of the bike directional so that only one side of the bike is lit at a time.

If you really think you can do 4 LED signals on a ninja 250 with stock wiring and just an electronic flasher, do it. I want video, because I know for a fact that 4 LED turn signals make 4-way flashers. The diode mod would never have been thought up unless it was needed in the first place.
i have my set up of 6 LED signals (2 front, integrated + 2 oxford rear indicators) with just stock wiring and electronic flasher, and it flashes normally. the only initial issue i had when i started this thread was from a faulty indicator.

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #13
Risky
ninjette.org member

Name: Glen

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Hey Glen,

What kind of relay did you install? Even though it's an EF relay, it may not work. From my understanding, the protons aren't supposed to need a replacement relay. Try your stock relay and see what happens.
Hey mate, I got an electro mechanical flasher relay. Just bought a fully electronic one today but really think it'll make no difference so am hesitant to even bother pulling my bike apart again.

You are right that the proton's work fine with the stock relay. The reason I got a flasher relay is because upon installing the proton's, the rear stock lights do not flash. They instead display a constant tone. The flasher relay fixed this right up sweet. Then all of a sudden my left front proton died to a dim shade of its former self, paling in comparison to it's virile brother on the right.

I sent an email to Mike at high tech and he's sending me out a new unit. So after all of my troubles, it seems the left side is indeed faulty. I bloody hope so as I'm all out of ideas!
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #14
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuzi0nz View Post
i have my set up of 6 LED signals (2 front, integrated + 2 oxford rear indicators) with just stock wiring and electronic flasher, and it flashes normally. the only initial issue i had when i started this thread was from a faulty indicator.
Well it's good you fixed your issues.

As for not having 4-way flashers, are there resistors built into your integrated tail like many have? Also, I know Proton flush mounts are designed to work properly, idk if that's what you have?

anyhow, with just plain-jane, normal LED bulbs or signals, adding diodes is necessary, just from a resistance and voltage stand-point.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote