Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Red face Confession Booth

This is a thread to keep yourself humble and honest. Lots of us describe events where someone else made an error on their motorcycle/cage and either caused us to crash or gave us a close call, but there are times when we make mistakes too. Fess up!

Guidelines:
* Don't write about anything you did that was illegal... self-incrimination is not good!
* Don't expect people to be nice to you in replies!
* Don't be too mean on those that confess... we all make mistakes.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Ok: so I'll go first...

I was on the way to work today. As I approached a set of traffic lights I thought I would lane split through the middle of the two lanes of traffic going in my direction and then pull in front of one of the cars waiting at the lights. I've done this tens of times before on this exact same junction. It's legal and relatively safe to do. This time though I wasn't concentrating hard enough. I made it all the way through the waiting traffic and just as I was pulling in front of the last car the lights went green... but I didn't see that. The car driver didn't notice me in time as I swerved in front of it to stop and the result was that it drove into me slightly. It's bumper only lightly pushed into my leg before the driver stopped. At this point my bike was at an angle and I couldn't bring it upright on account of having a car pressed against my leg! I turned around and looked at the [understandably] pissed off lady driving the car, made an apologising motion with my hands and then made a 'please back up' motion so that I could bring the bike upright and ride away.

What a jerk! I'll be concentrating much harder when lane splitting next time, and pay attention to the traffic lights.

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Well, this isn't much of a close call kinda thing, but I've always wanted to do a burnout since I got my CB. I just wasn't able to because of a slipping clutch and bad front brake :/

Old February 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post

What a jerk! I'll be concentrating much harder when lane splitting next time, and pay attention to the traffic lights.
omg you are such an asshole! Lol. Why don't u just stay in between the cars until it turns green?

I would post up a story but I am perfect in every way and have no faults. Such is life
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Why don't u just stay in between the cars until it turns green?
I guess I could do that... but some drivers might see that as a challenge and decide to race me. I usually pull away quicker than the cars, but I don't like the idea of having a car a few inches to my side keeping up with me. Has that happened to you before?

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I guess I could do that... but some drivers might see that as a challenge and decide to race me. I usually pull away quicker than the cars, but I don't like the idea of having a car a few inches to my side keeping up with me. Has that happened to you before?
It's pretty rare that someone tries to race me, but it's only happened when I've been in my own lane not lane sharing
AFM #676

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Last Wednesday in my physics class, I let out a silent fart and blamed it on the fat guy next to me. It stunk so bad I could taste it.

There. I feel better now that that's off my chest
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #8
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ lol

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #9
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Hit the nitrous button on accident while doing a clutchless upshift to 7th gear at 210mph with 2 passengers causing me to do a backflip luckily I landed it and everything was okay.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #10
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
You guys are terrible at the whole humility thing!

Old February 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
be more aggressive, akima.

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a few weeks ago i was going north on the 5 through 5mph traffic on my 250. off and on WOT in 2nd around 9k to redline weaving like an idiot. got scary when someone cut me off, had to jump on the other side of them half blind near the traction limit. front end went to mush but i gave it wot after it was pointed and blasted through anyway. it pissed me off that i didnt see it coming so i picked up the pace even more but missed my stupid exit because of my rage. got pretty mad at myself for that.

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #13
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
be more aggressive, akima.
I don't get it. How could more aggression have helped in that situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
a few weeks ago i was going north on the 5 through 5mph traffic on my 250. off and on WOT in 2nd around 9k to redline weaving like an idiot. got scary when someone cut me off, had to jump on the other side of them half blind near the traction limit. front end went to mush but i gave it wot after it was pointed and blasted through anyway. it pissed me off that i didnt see it coming so i picked up the pace even more but missed my stupid exit because of my rage. got pretty mad at myself for that.
I absolve you of your sins my child ... though... I was considering leaving you un-obsolved. You crazy, boi!! Some days I ride like a crazy person too. I don't know why.

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I don't get it. How could more aggression have helped in that situation?

I absolve you of your sins my child ... though... I was considering leaving you un-obsolved. You crazy, boi!! Some days I ride like a crazy person too. I don't know why.
Being civil is unnatural
AFM #676

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
You guys are terrible at the whole humility thing!
I actually did that though!! That was an honest confession
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #16
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I actually did that though!! That was an honest confession
lmao... it's not really in the intended spirit of this thread... but ok... thanks for sharing lol! You should apologise to that guy who you used as a scapegoat for your most terrible deed!

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #17
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

when I got my driving license(car) coming home turned into a 90degree turn(120 ft away from my home) and took 3/4 of the road and a cruiser was coming from the opposite direction we just locked eye while he cusses something (had windows up) idk what there really is ent many bikes in my area i now always take that turn to see that biker

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #18
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

So it's a hot summer day in 1975 and i just picked up my RD350. I had just had Tanner&Brandt ( builders of the RD350 that held worlds record 1/4 mi. at the time) port. polish and slap an expansion chamber on the bike for the ungodly fee of $400). There's no sound like a 2 stroke with a pipe.
At that moment, I had one of, if not the fastest RD350 in NYC. I wailed out into traffic, blasted down Queens Blvd and the wind was blowing in my face so hard i looked like The Joker ( had no full face gear in them days).
Then she died...I mean just died,,,,the pipes dropped from a machine gun stacatto to a dead mans moan and there i was amidst busses, trucks, and everybody else beeping horns and cussibng me for blocking traffic.
The effin' guys....$400 and the fweekin bike breaks down 5 minutes out of the shop. It's 90 degrees out, traffic all around and I have to push this sucker across 6 lanes and 3 miles back to the shop. I get there maybe an hour later and go screaming into Mike and Bills small office about what they did to my bike and how i had to push it back and i was gonna burn the shop dow--- when Bill gets up, walks to the bike, opens the cap. He says nothing to me, grabs a gas can , pours a few ounces in and starts the bike.
No one can imagine what an ass I felt like. I've done stupider things but this was the single most embarassing thing i've ever done.
That RD was fast....wanna see where the bone came thru my skin?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #19
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@eddiekay: I knew you'd have a good story! You've got a reputation with me now lol. Yeah: and that's embarrassing!

One embarrassment I know I'm not going to suffer is the broken engine kill switch activated mishap! I've seen and heard enough of people thinking there bike is broken because of that and calling out friends or brake down recovery. That's not happening to me!! I wont let it! I can't let it!

Old February 13th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
wanna see where the bone came thru my skin?
always!

Old February 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #21
eddiekay

Whoa Alex....now that's an idea for a thread....full color pix of scars, vids of limping, knocked out teeth, lumps that never go away.

Old February 13th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #22
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I want to see it!

Old February 13th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #23
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
My Story: I put lettuce on a hamburger on accident at Mcdonalds. So embarrassing...

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #24
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
My Story: I put lettuce on a hamburger on accident at Mcdonalds. So embarrassing...
I would say you did the fat bastard a favor
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #25
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I did the owner a favor and took it off

I want Mcdonalds now lol I have work tomorrow! I like working there. I can honestly say, that I will miss it when I leave them.

Old February 14th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #26
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Back in my newb days, I would run too hot into corners (probably 3 of 5 tries) and end up in the opposing lanes. This was at less than the posted speed limit too. Now when I take those same corners at or above the speed limit, I look back and wonder how I didn't end up splattered on the front of a cage.

Again, riding while new, I lane split to the front of a line of cars and move to the right to get in front of the first car while using the front brake to stop. Most of you know what happens when you have the wheel turned at very low speed and you use the front brake. Yep, over I went, but not all the way. I'm stuck holding the bike up with my left leg, while my right leg is hooked on the feeler nub on the peg. I eventually got upright again, having managed to keep the bike off the ground. Meanwhile, everyone in the cars behind me were laughing their a$$e$ off. So sad.

When I read a post by Akima, I see in my head a talking squirrel.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #27
eddiekay

This is a nice thred...when it comes to doing stupid things, I have a lot to say
Back in the day in NYC...it was common for sections of a street to be repaired by simply pouring concrete and putting a few cones around it overnite while it dried. I mean, anyone could see the cones and the concrete was obviously wet so there was no reasonable chance that anyone would attempt to cross it. Right?
On a rainy day, wanting to go to a store and seeing no place to park but seeing the coned-off area...I decided that ....well, the concrete only looked wet because it was raining. I saw no equipment on the street, no sign of workers so I further reasoned that they did the pour yesterday and...yeah...it only looked wet. It was really dry...but looked wet.
OK you know whats coming :
Drove straight into the pour. Stopped immediately with my wheels buried to the rims in half cured concrete. Luckily...the bike was small so I thought i'd just roll it out.
No.
Got off the bike and tried pulling it back but...it was like being stuck in concrete. A few passers by saw this comedy and after they stopped laughing came over, stood at the edge of the pour, grabbed my luggage rack and managed to pull the rear wheel back onto the pavement. It was good...the bike was almost out but...did you know wet concrete like shoes ?
As I turned and began to step out my shoes came off....yeah...concrete likes shoes.
So...out of the pour i come:
shoes off
covered to the calves in concrete
soaked
wheels covered in mud.
By this time a small crowd had gathered and they were hysterical with laughter
Thanked the 2 guys who helped and got on and rode home.
I never made it to the store and my shoes are still buried on Steinway Street.
40 something years later...it still makes me laugh.

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
@eddiekay: love the concrete story Favourite line: "Got off the bike and tried pulling it back but...it was like being stuck in concrete." he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Again, riding while new, I lane split to the front of a line of cars and move to the right to get in front of the first car while using the front brake to stop. Most of you know what happens when you have the wheel turned at very low speed and you use the front brake. Yep, over I went, but not all the way. I'm stuck holding the bike up with my left leg, while my right leg is hooked on the feeler nub on the peg. I eventually got upright again, having managed to keep the bike off the ground. Meanwhile, everyone in the cars behind me were laughing their a$$e$ off. So sad.

When I read a post by Akima, I see in my head a talking squirrel.
I like your confession... very embarrassing! I didn't envisage that take on this thread: mistakes which are bad for you but beneficial and enjoyable for other road users

... I am a talking squirrel. What? Don't stare!

Old February 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #29
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Damn eddie, I'm definitely jealous of your rd350. Have any old pics of it?

I'm seriously in love with that bike, and if it were legal to ride one on the streets, that would've been my next bike.

Old February 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #30
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Your concrete story is hilarious. I want to go get your shoes

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #31
Jinx250
Smoker

Quote:
I like your confession... very embarrassing! I didn't envisage that take on this thread: mistakes which are bad for you but beneficial and enjoyable for other road users
My view is htat we all make stupid mistakes, especially when we're newbs. Admitting that we f-ed up is an opportunity for others to use the experience as a learning tool and hopefully not make the same mistake. Unfortunately, most of the posts are not embracing your vision of this thread. Amusing responses, to be sure, but not helpful in the context/spirit of the thread IMO.

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #32
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
My view is htat we all make stupid mistakes, especially when we're newbs. Admitting that we f-ed up is an opportunity for others to use the experience as a learning tool and hopefully not make the same mistake. Unfortunately, most of the posts are not embracing your vision of this thread. Amusing responses, to be sure, but not helpful in the context/spirit of the thread IMO.
Do you mean like talking about putting lettuce on a burger by chance? lol
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #33
DSpinler
Your Lord Funny Bits

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I had a squirrel run out in the road in front of me once when I was first learning. Grabbed at the front brake, skidded, almost hit a mailbox. When I stopped there was no squirrel, but there was a nice little wet spot where he would have been standing.

On an unrelated note, @akima , do you have any relatives in the states?

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #34
Jinx250
Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay72 View Post
Do you mean like talking about putting lettuce on a burger by chance? lol
I would never call a specific person out publicly unless they posted something patently unsafe/dangerous. You know what they say - never point a finger, because there are several pointing back at you.

Old February 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #35
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpinler View Post
I had a squirrel run out in the road in front of me once when I was first learning. Grabbed at the front brake, skidded, almost hit a mailbox. When I stopped there was no squirrel, but there was a nice little wet spot where he would have been standing.

On an unrelated note, @akima , do you have any relatives in the states?
No state side relatives I'm afraid. Just so you know: squirrels totally have the right of way... on roads and off roads. We also have the right to urinate in the path of vulnerable, human road users like motorcyclists... these rights are inherent in our C.U.S.S. (Constitution of United Squirrely Squirrels).

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #36
DSpinler
Your Lord Funny Bits

Quote:
No state side relatives I'm afraid. Just so you know: squirrels totally have the right of way... on roads and off roads. We also have the right to urinate in the path of vulnerable, human road users like motorcyclists... these rights are inherent in our C.U.S.S. (Constitution of United Squirrely Squirrels).
As is the right, I assume, to create organizations with morally questionable acronyms?

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #37
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpinler View Post
As is the right, I assume, to create organizations with morally questionable acronyms?
Yep.

The full acronym is actually C.U.S.S.I.N.G (Constitution of United Squirrely Squirrels, the Impulsive Nut Gatherers)

Old February 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #38
DSpinler
Your Lord Funny Bits

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #39
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 CP Blue

About 2 weeks after I started riding, I was feeling like a total pro, and thought it was time for me to start returning all the waves I was getting from the other riders. I knew it was rude not to wave back before but honestly, I was just too busy trying to ride the bike! I wasn't exactly sure what to do with my hand though... should I make a 'v', point with one finger, or wave with my whole hand? I really wanted to make sure I got it right, so I didn't feel like a total dork.

I passed a rider waving in the other direction on a 2 lane road - and I decided to look really closely to see what he was doing exactly... Perfect storm. Here I am not looking where I'm going, only 1 hand on the bars, narrow section of road with guard rails and having absolutely no idea what I was doing. Sure enough, the car in front of me stops short to make a left, no signal or nothing. Not that I would have seen it because I was too busy trying to mimic this guys wave. When I do finally look up, I panic and lock-up the rear brake, then I panic that I just locked-up the rear brake so I release it, THEN the MSF training kicks-in and I panic again, thinking I'm gonna high-side. Luckily, I worked the front brake perfectly and was able to just stop in time. Could have been much worse though.
itsa250bro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #40
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
I would never call a specific person out publicly unless they posted something patently unsafe/dangerous. You know what they say - never point a finger, because there are several pointing back at you.
Oh no big deal no names were used.

And I was just teasing him...no harm no foul..in my honest opinion that is.
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote