Notices

Old May 1st, 2017, 02:57 PM   #1
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Wondering if riding is for you?

This post is for any ladies (or gents for that matter) out there who are curious about motorcycling but afraid to try it. Loved ones and society will tell you not to do it. "It's dangerous", they say. And though, yes they can be right, danger can crash into you no matter where you are or what you're doing. Driving to work in your car, walking down a flight of stairs with your arms full, or hell, even wasting away on a sofa eating tater chips all day...life is full of danger. The question is, what will actually make you feel alive?

So if you've been thinking of going out on a limb, doing something society says women should not do, go against the grain. Make your own path. You'll be better and happier for it!

Riding skills are crucial to giving yourself the best chance of survival. USE THIS FORUM! Use the riding skills section often, ask questions you worry are "dumb" (they're not), pick the brains of experts here, read riding bibles such as "Twist of the Wrist" and "Proficient Motorcycling". Practice emergency maneuvers in empty parking lots. Take the MSF class. Wear lots o' gear. Learn slowly and thoroughly. Be defensive and ride like you're invisible (because on a bike, you are). Forever be a learner, or as I refer to myself, a "permanoob". If you're curious, try it! If it's not your thing, it's not your thing, but if you never try, you'll never know. I sure as hell didn't think it would be anything I'd actually be good at the first time I sat on a Ninja 250 in an empty high school parking lot at age 30, attempting to figure out how a manual tranny works. Check out the journey that happened as a result...

Ally99's story:

Eight years ago today, I earned my motorcycle riding permit. In a twist of irony, eight years later, today marks the first day since then that I have not owned a bike.

As a clueless beginner wanting to face a fear, even a manual transmission befuddled me as I began the journey that would change my life in so many ways. Slowly I researched, practiced, talked to experts, and over the years I progressed as a rider far more than I would have ever fathomed. From simple commutes to the elementary school where I taught to mind-clearing rides through our beautiful countryside to learning the art of racing and dragging knee on a twisty track, I have shaken hands with hundreds of new friends and experienced the world as most people could never comprehend. I've been driven by adrenaline never felt before, learned what zen actually feels like, pushed my skills to (and sometimes past) their limit, crashed and burned and learned determination to get back up and ride again, never to end on a lose. Motorcycle jaunts and camping trips in the some of the same mountains I would eventually end up walking across, relaxing rural Saturday morning rides and my favorite destination, Watson Mill Bridge State Park, brought peace and healing to my life over the past 8 years.

Two and a half years and 3000 miles after my most egregious crash on November 8, 2014 when I high-sided at Jennings Motorsports Park and broke my back and my thumb, riding has continued to bring unadulterated liberation and joy to my life, but it's never been quite the same. Today, I said goodbye to "Little Ninj". Life comes in seasons, and for now, it's time to end on a win, hang up the helmet, and ride life's new adventures wherever they take me.

Through it all, I have never regretted facing my fear. Going outside one's comfort zone brings peace and confidence unlike anything else. Thank you to those who have been part of my 2-wheeled journey. <3

I never would have become the rider I did without Ninjette.org. Thank ALL of you, especially those who have mentored me from the very beginning...Hernan, Snake, Chris, Alex...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cookies.jpg (39.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Daddy 2011.jpg (81.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Track day 2012.jpg (65.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Little Tally GSXR.jpg (110.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg RIP bird2.jpg (102.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Wish.jpg (153.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg STT .jpg (78.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Group ride 2014.jpg (134.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ooops 2014.jpg (80.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Ooops 2.jpg (92.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Friends 2014.jpg (98.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Snow.jpg (93.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Race3.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Friends.jpg (65.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fundraiser ride.jpg (112.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Road Atlanta.jpg (72.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CMP.jpg (36.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Dragon 2010.jpg (87.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Goodbye bike2.jpg (125.6 KB, 18 views)

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Last futzed with by ally99; May 1st, 2017 at 05:25 PM.
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

Old May 1st, 2017, 03:29 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
So sad to see you go! You've been a great member of the community. I wish you well in whatever adventure life puts in your path....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Great story and yes, sad to see you go. All the best in your new adventures! As long as you are testing the limits and really living each day

Enjoy!!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Ally life and adventures are an inspiration to all those afraid to try something new. That goes for anything from riding motorcycles, parachuting, flying an airplane or even to life changes such as a new job or moving to another state/country. As you stated, the key is to do your homework and minimize the unknowns and the dangers.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:27 PM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So sad to see you go! You've been a great member of the community. I wish you well in whatever adventure life puts in your path....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Great story and yes, sad to see you go. All the best in your new adventures! As long as you are testing the limits and really living each day

Enjoy!!!

Thanks y'all. But I'm not necessarily going anywhere. Ninjette.org has been a home of mine for too long.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 08:42 AM   #6
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Great post and beautiful pics.

I don't know you, but I find it hard to imagine that anyone could truly give up riding. I think you'll be drawn back in. Once a biker, always...

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:48 PM   #7
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I believe you will get back on two wheels in your life. You came a long way in a short time and you loved it.

However, keep us posted on your adventures.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 04:10 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Great post and beautiful pics.

I don't know you, but I find it hard to imagine that anyone could truly give up riding. I think you'll be drawn back in. Once a biker, always...
Forget about riding, it's overrated, I just like wearing the cool clothes. If you walk into a bar, store, church, whore house, and you are wearing ratty old leathers, they know you mean business.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:08 PM   #9
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

Ally,

The combination of track riding at the limit, the backroad twisties, the long, solitary cross country trips.. the whole motorcycling experience... It takes you to that indescribable place. I ride to find my way back to that very "place", and that state of mind. Without riding, I don't know if I could find my way back there.

What replaces motorcycling for you? Was the mental block after crashing just too much to overcome?

I look at your photos, and can't help but feel sad to see somebody hanging it up after seemingly getting to that place.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:50 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Ally,

The combination of track riding at the limit, the backroad twisties, the long, solitary cross country trips.. the whole motorcycling experience... It takes you to that indescribable place. I ride to find my way back to that very "place", and that state of mind. Without riding, I don't know if I could find my way back there.

What replaces motorcycling for you? Was the mental block after crashing just too much to overcome?

I look at your photos, and can't help but feel sad to see somebody hanging it up after seemingly getting to that place.

Hi Patrick. Thanks for the reply.

After my crash, I did continue to ride another 2.5 years and still loved it, but I never could quite enjoy it the same way I did before. There was a bit of fear in me that I'd do something stupid again because what I made was a newbie mistake that I guess I never could 100% forgive myself for...after breaking my back and thumb, I realized breaking hurts!! I never had the trust in myself I'd once had to let loose and trust my skills or my bike.

Six months after my crash, I hiked the Appalachian Trail from GA to Maine. Since then, I've had a series of badass jobs that make work feel like play. I worked on the A.T. for a while, and now I've got a full-time job doing something I love that provides travel and adventures and a part-time gig managing a beer brewery...a dream of mine! All of that leaves very little time for joy rides, and I hated to see little Ninja depreciating in my garage, being ridden once every couple of months, if that.

Before my crash, I used to say if I died or got hurt on my bike, it would have been worth it to me and I would have chosen to ride anyway. For about the past year since returning from my thru-hike, I've never quite felt the same way, and to me, that's what tipped the scales in favor of selling her.

I have quite a few passions and I tend to find adventure in many ways other than motorcycling. Hell, every day is an adventure! Might I ride again one day? It's possible. But life comes in seasons...only time will tell.

Old December 6th, 2022, 05:22 PM   #11
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 EX250

I put off riding since 2001.. family nagging me about riding blah blah... you know the deal.. I've always had the love for the 250.. matter of fact it's even stronger now where my mom lives a person has a nice blue pre-gen 250.

It pretty much got my ass in gear I need to take the MSF course and I'm going to need to get the endorsement on my DL.. Funny so I only starting riding a scooter maybe 5 months ago.. I had a hard time with slow tight turns but now it's no issues..

Funny I have my CDL permit (I go for classes starting Monday) while it was pretty hard (Not as nerve racking riding with a DOT officer) I'm still wondering how I would do with the timing of shifts ( can I drive a stick) maybe I'm just overthinking.

As of right now looks like I can't enroll until next year but I'm going to end up getting a bike to work on when I have free time and in hopes having it ready and riding around the storage yard to get a little feel for it
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2022, 06:21 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Good luck, Mike!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2022, 07:08 AM   #13
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Good luck, Mike!
Thanks! it will be a fun adventure
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2022, 02:40 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
When I took the riding class, they assumed we all knew nothing about riding or using a clutch and taught everything to get going.

I put off riding for a lot of years but this is the best thing I've done for myself, in years.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote