ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old January 27th, 2020, 09:32 PM   #1
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Lori

Motorcycle(s): 2018 NINJA 650 ABS KRT

Lightbulb Bring on the left-hand curves!!!

After nearly 12 years of riding, I FINALLY figured out left-hand curves today!!!
I've had a tendency to hug the centerline on left-hand curves. Which is a bad thing for a lot of reasons. Well, today it hit me: the bike tends to go where you look, right? (Yes, I teach this stuff.) I made a real effort on the lefts to focus on the outside of the curve; if the curve had chevrons, that was the perfect place to look. Then, I'll be darned, I managed to ride the outside!!! Wow, I have a new skill to practice! Bring on the lefts!!!!!
BAZININJA is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old February 4th, 2020, 02:34 PM   #2
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAZININJA View Post
After nearly 12 years of riding, I FINALLY figured out left-hand curves today!!!
I've had a tendency to hug the centerline on left-hand curves. Which is a bad thing for a lot of reasons. Well, today it hit me: the bike tends to go where you look, right? (Yes, I teach this stuff.) I made a real effort on the lefts to focus on the outside of the curve; if the curve had chevrons, that was the perfect place to look. Then, I'll be darned, I managed to ride the outside!!! Wow, I have a new skill to practice! Bring on the lefts!!!!!
YAY!!! Great to hear, hahah sometimes it's the most simple things that make the biggest difference. It would seem that before, when you were having trouble, you would have been following the centreline with your eyes and now that you've made progress you are looking to the outside, where you actually want the bike e to go! I always say to my students that they need to sort of collect reference points, like connect the dots for where they want to be on the road or track and then allow their eyes to track those reference points. Step 1, step 2 and step 3. The better you get with your eyes tracking these points visually with a smooth flow of information, the better your line is and the better your control outputs are!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote