ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Army Aviator
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

TIP: How to keep track of loose vacuum hoses and wires during a DIY.

To start, my Ninja 250R is my first motorcycle. When I first started working on my bike most of the wires and hoses were unfamiliar to me, so I got into the habit of tying a piece of bright line to the hoses and wiring harnesses I disconnected while working on the bike, and then I left the other end hanging out of the frame.

I did this because if you start a project and need to walk away from it for a while it can be easy to forget to reconnect a hose or wire you had to remove, at least I did and it pissed me off when I had to take the fairings back off to find a loose vacuum hose. What I do now basically works like a bright "Remove Before Flight" ribbon on an aircraft, and if you see one of these sticking out while your bolting the bike back together you know you've missed something. I got a 250 foot spool of the line at Lowes for a couple bucks and it's the stuff you see being used to layout construction sites, usually sold in bright pink or orange for visibility. I also used it while aligning the rear tire with The String Method because it's easier to see and work with than fishing line.

I thought I would share this after reading comments from other newer riders who worry about tearing into the bike and loosing track of their project, and also because of the occasional thread that starts "I'm in the middle of a DIY and I found loose hoses that I don't remember removing". (For those that don't know, some are vent lines and don't connect to anything.)

Here's a few pics from my iPhone. There were a lot more of these hanging off my bike a few days ago because I had all of the wire harnesses disconnected while I took the airbox out, but I didn't think about taking pics until today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Strings 1.jpg (288.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Strings 2.jpg (77.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Strings 3.jpg (47.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Strings 4.jpg (268.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Strings 5.jpg (71.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Strings 6.jpg (42.7 KB, 15 views)
Army Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
kkim

Great idea!

Now, put that tank that's lying on the concrete on a blanket or cloth so you don't end up chipping the paint... also, put something under the tank to raise one end so it doesn't rest on the fuel petcock.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Army Aviator
ninjette.org member

LOL, thanks I already did that. I carefully set it there for a second while my wife took my folding table, now it's resting in the shed on an old blanket.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
kkim

do you have one end propped up so it's not resting on the petcock? The service manual specifically tells you not to rest the tank on it. I don't want to find out what happens if I don't.

The string idea will really come in handy for someone taking apart things for the first time. it is quite daunting to see all the loose hoses and wires when you dissect the bike to get that damned airbox out!

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Great idea Nate. Everyday there is another good tip that comes up on this site. I love it.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Army Aviator
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
do you have one end propped up so it's not resting on the petcock? The service manual specifically tells you not to rest the tank on it. I don't want to find out what happens if I don't.

The string idea will really come in handy for someone taking apart things for the first time. it is quite daunting to see all the loose hoses and wires when you dissect the bike to get that damned airbox out!
Yeah I got it off the petcock with some packing foam holding up the tank around it. That airbox was a PITA and my bike would be back together right now but I'm still waiting for the filter pod and jetkit from Factory Pro. I ordered several things from all over the country days after placing my order with them and their box is the last to arrive, everything else got here last week. I'm going to SERE school next week to get survival training. It's basically 21 days of eating bugs, hiding from some guy named "chocolate thunder" who will eventually find me, and then learning to sleep in a tiny little box. I'd really like my parts to get here so I can go on one more ride this weekend.

Old February 25th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #7
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

hehehehe THIS is the other forum you posted that on I see

Yeah you get quite a different response between the two forums eh?
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #8
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Great idea, would really help people who are new to motorbikes.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 08:08 PM   #9
asg1
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ali

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

2008 Ninja 250 Carb Hose

So I have a 2008 ninja 250 and there is a T fitting connecting both of the carbs. My question is where does the hose that connects to that T fitting connect to?
Please anyone that knows.
Thank You
asg1 is offline   Reply With Quote