ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Name: Beast

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

removing silencer?

I have a 2008 Ninja which is the newer body.
I opened up the exhaust only to find that my silencer is attached to the exhaust completely.

has anyone drilled it out before?
Is it just better to get a new exhaust system?

if you have drilled it out, would it make a big difference?

thanks!

I dont want my bike to sound like a moped anymore!
bbbrandy19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #2
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Buy a slip on. It does effect some performance on the bike but not anything you'll really notice. The bad part is once you put a new on one you will get deceleration pop (kinda like a car that with glasspack on it) unless you at least shim the carbs and remove the kleen air system.

Some will disagree with doing it on here because they dislike loud bikes. Some people will also tell you to wear ear plugs on a bike because road noise is to loud on a stock bike. I don't agree with either of those statements LOL. I loved actually being able to hear my bike over other bikes and cars.

My old bike / exhaust:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #3
kkim

buy a slip on, if you are just doing it for sound (which I don't recommend, btw), but if you are looking for a performance gain, buy a full/complete exhaust system.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #4
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Buy a slip on. It does effect some performance on the bike but not anything you'll really notice. The bad part is once you put a new on one you will get deceleration pop (kinda like a car that with glasspack on it) unless you at least shim the carbs and remove the kleen air system.

Some will disagree with doing it on here because they dislike loud bikes. Some people will also tell you to wear ear plugs on a bike because the noise is to loud. I don't agree with either LOL.

oh wow. I guess this tells you how much i know about bikes.
So this kind of slips over the stock exhaust?
how much does one run $$?

your bike sounds pretty nice! not as loud as i would like mine to sound, but i have to remember it is only a 250.

how does it effect the performance?

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #5
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
buy a slip on, if you are just doing it for sound (which I don't recommend, btw), but if you are looking for a performance gain, buy a full/complete exhaust system.

why wouldnt you recommend it?

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #6
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrandy19 View Post
oh wow. I guess this tells you how much i know about bikes.
So this kind of slips over the stock exhaust?
how much does one run $$?

your bike sounds pretty nice! not as loud as i would like mine to sound, but i have to remember it is only a 250.

how does it effect the performance?
Trust me that video does no justice towards how loud that exhaust was. It sounded like a stock car and I'm sure my neighbors could hear me start my bike everyday.

I think I got the HMF pipe off ebay for right around $200. The new exhaust you just take your factory pipe off the header pipe and install this one. It's called a slip on because it slips right over the factory pipe (header pipe) and attaches just like your factory one did.

In my video I show you where it clamps on to the factory pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HMF-P...Q5fAccessories

You could always come to that ebays store. It's local for me and like 5 minutes from my house! lol I would buy it elsewhere if you could though. I hate those guys and would never buy anything off them!

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
why wouldnt you recommend it?
most new riders will add slipons for an increased exhaust level, which does almost zero for performance. Increased exhaust noise levels from sport bikes is something that is killing the sport and making lawmakers take steps to tighten laws regarding aftermarket exhausts. The ones that ride their bikes with modified/aftermarket exhausts are the very ones killing the sport they enjoy.

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #8
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Trust me that video does no justice towards how loud that exhaust was. It sounded like a stock car and I'm sure my neighbors could hear me start my bike everyday.

I think I got the HMF pipe off ebay for right around $200. The new exhaust you just take your factory pipe off the header pipe and install this one. It's called a slip on because it slips right over the factory pipe (header pipe) and attaches just like your factory one did.

In my video I show you where it clamps on to the factory pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HMF-P...Q5fAccessories

You could always come to that ebays store. It's local for me and like 5 minutes from my house! lol I would buy it elsewhere if you could though. I hate those guys and would never buy anything off them!

yea it looks like it would be pretty easy to put on.
200 is a little much for me right now though. Do you have a pretty high end one? or are there cheaper ones that are pretty legit as well?

yea ill have to look around and see what i can find.

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #9
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
most new riders will add slipons for an increased exhaust level, which does almost zero for performance. Increased exhaust noise levels from sport bikes is something that is killing the sport and making lawmakers take steps to tighten laws regarding aftermarket exhausts. The ones that ride their bikes with modified/aftermarket exhausts are the very ones killing the sport they enjoy.
I wouldn't say sport bikes have as big of following as the cruiser group when it comes to loud pipes. Honostly the day my bike surpasses a harely growling down the road is the day I will tell you my bike is WAY to loud.

but to each their own

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #10
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:

ohhhhh i understand where you are coming from.
My main reason for wanting my bike louder is because i want people to hear that i am around them or coming. I hear all these Harleys ROAR through the streets and you know they are coming.
I want to make sure people know im there.

know what i mean?

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #11
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
yea it looks like it would be pretty easy to put on.
200 is a little much for me right now though. Do you have a pretty high end one? or are there cheaper ones that are pretty legit as well?

yea ill have to look around and see what i can find.
No that's actually one of the lowest priced ones that actually sounds good. I would look on youtube and find the exhaust sounds on diff pipes that you like and shop. I got mine for $200 because they had the "make an offer" button on ebay and the guy accepted it!

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #12
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
No that's actually one of the lowest priced ones that actually sounds good. I would look on youtube and find the exhaust sounds on diff pipes that you like and shop. I got mine for $200 because they had the "make an offer" button on ebay and the guy accepted it!
oh wow. okay. ill definetely have to look around and see whats out there.
Thank you for your help. this is a big help for me!

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #13
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If your can is already open and you don't want to pay for a system, this addresses how to turn your muffler into a system closer to what a slipon pipe is. It's kinda useless because it doesn't save any weight unless you cut it into a shortie style

http://www.2fiddy.com/2008/07/shortie-exhaust-homemade/

that's basically what a 2bros system is from what I can tell by looking down my pipes

Last futzed with by choneofakind; March 24th, 2011 at 01:39 PM. Reason: damn wrong url copy-pasted
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #14
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Read through this thread and do yourself a favor and add a great sound AND power to your bike while saving money. If after researching, you decide this particular full exhaust isn't for you, then research another one. I, like Kelly, would not recommend a slip-on. You don't really do anything but make the bike louder and pay close to what a full system costs.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #15
kkim

some food for thought...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52566&

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #16
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
+1. If you want people to know you are there don't count on a loud pipe to do it. Ride Safe
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #17
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Lets keep the thread on topic. She's not looking for reasons on why she shouldn't put a pipe on.

No hate I can just see this thread turning into another why or why not have loud pipes thread.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #18
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Life is short...remove the silencer and go have fun. But be forewarned, if this is a street bike LEO's and others may not appreciate the noise and as a result you may just get a ticket for it.

If trackbike, by all means remove that sucker! I didn't even know I had one in my exhaust until a friend pointed it out. Performance gain? I would say yes but not by much.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #19
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
probably right but at the same time, i have experienced a harley riding with me.
He revs it, people move over.

It isnt going to prevent me from any accidents but its another precaution to take in order to prevent a situation.

just sayin. thanks though!

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #20
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Lets keep the thread on topic. She's not looking for reasons on why she shouldn't put a pipe on.

No hate I can just see this thread turning into another why or why not have loud pipes thread.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #21
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Life is short...remove the silencer and go have fun. But be forewarned, if this is a street bike LEO's and others may not appreciate the noise and as a result you may just get a ticket for it.

If trackbike, by all means remove that sucker! I didn't even know I had one in my exhaust until a friend pointed it out. Performance gain? I would say yes but not by much.

honestly, people in cars don't give a rats ass about bikes so why should we care about them?

cars bump their systems, cars do what they want.
bikes can do the same.

I agree with yoU!! i want my silencer off!! now!! right MEOOOWW!!

but how do i get it off?!?

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #22
kkim

you can't... not with a stock muffler, without major work... ie. cutting and rewelding.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #23
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbrandy19
has anyone drilled it out before?...Is it just better to get a new exhaust system?...if you have drilled it out, would it make a big difference?...oh wow. I guess this tells you how much i know about bikes....why wouldnt you recommend it?...My main reason for wanting my bike louder is because i want people to hear that i am around them or coming. I hear all these Harleys ROAR through the streets and you know they are coming. I want to make sure people know im there. know what i mean?...
I think people are staying on topic. She obviously has limited knowledge, through her own admission no less, about motorcycles. She asked questions about exhausts and has been getting answers about exhausts. She also has a very poor and unfortunately very common misunderstanding about noise and how sound travels.

The other day I was riding behind my brother who has a V&H exhaust on his V Star 650. I am following him in my car. Window down, I can hear him fine. I can hear him so easily in fact that I feel his exhaust is really loud. Roll up the window and if I didn't see him I wouldn't know he was there. If a car has to be on top of you to hear you, then the loud pipe didn't do what she thinks it does. This pertains to exhausts and one of the reasons she wants one.

People talking about exhausts when the OP asked about exhausts is very much on topic. One of the greatest things about the members of this forum is that they are always looking out for other members. I like and appreciate that.

If we started talking about helmets then we would be off topic. But hey, I'm not a mod so what do I know?

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #24
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
you can't... not with a stock muffler, without major work... ie. cutting and rewelding.
i may just ask my mechanic to do it.
I have a couple friends who have done it but i dont know if it is worth the work.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:
i may just ask my mechanic to do it.
I have a couple friends who have done it but i dont know if it is worth the work.
it's not... not if you need to pay them for their time. better to just buy a slipon like previously suggested, but which I suggested not to, which led us to where we are now.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #26
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I think people are staying on topic. She obviously has limited knowledge, through her own admission no less, about motorcycles. She asked questions about exhausts and has been getting answers about exhausts. She also has a very poor and unfortunately very common misunderstanding about noise and how sound travels.

The other day I was riding behind my brother who has a V&H exhaust on his V Star 650. I am following him in my car. Window down, I can hear him fine. I can hear him so easily in fact that I feel his exhaust is really loud. Roll up the window and if I didn't see him I wouldn't know he was there. If a car has to be on top of you to hear you, then the loud pipe didn't do what she thinks it does. This pertains to exhausts and one of the reasons she wants one.

People talking about exhausts when the OP asked about exhausts is very much on topic. One of the greatest things about the members of this forum is that they are always looking out for other members. I like and appreciate that.

If we started talking about helmets then we would be off topic. But hey, I'm not a mod so what do I know?

very unfortunate huh! sad, I know
BUT if the sound doesn't warn that i am around and people dont hear me, then fine. Ill do my duty as a rider and ride the way i was taught and be defensive and at the same time i will have a pretty cool sounding bike

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
very unfortunate huh! sad, I know
BUT if the sound doesn't warn that i am around and people dont hear me, then fine. Ill do my duty as a rider and ride the way i was taught and be defensive and at the same time i will have a pretty cool sounding bike
yeah, because being cool is what it's all about, right?

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #28
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
it's not... not if you need to pay them for their time. better to just buy a slipon like previously suggested, but which I suggested not to, which led us to where we are now.

haha true. but I'm sure it be cheaper then a 300+ slip on.
but yes i see where you are coming from. I see where everyone is coming from.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #29
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

ohhh yeaaaaaa...

haha people are getting so heated.

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #30
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Ill do my duty as a rider and ride the way i was taught and be defensive and at the same time i will have a pretty cool sounding bike
Bingo!

Old March 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #31
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
honestly, people in cars don't give a rats ass about bikes so why should we care about them?
Because some of those cagers are motorcyclists like yourself. I cage to work and am aware of my surroundings and motorcyclists.

Quote:
cars bump their systems, cars do what they want.
bikes can do the same.

I agree with yoU!! i want my silencer off!! now!! right MEOOOWW!!
Because we're better than them. I'd like to think we're more considerate than them. =P

Quote:
but how do i get it off?!?
If yours is anything like mine you can unscrew the bolt holding the silencer. What kinda exhaust do you have? Pics of silencer?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #32
kkim

Quote:

haha people are getting so heated.
if you want heated, try posting your question on any other 250 ninja forum and see what happens.

Old March 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #33
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
if you want heated, try posting your question on any other 250 ninja forum and see what happens.
Yeesh. No kidding.

btw, just my 2 cents: I got a 15in AreaP QC full system, and I absolutely love it. When you pull that shiny hunk of pretty out of the box and compare the weight to the chunky thing you're taking off the bike, you'll be happy you spent every penny. I would definitely advise a full system if you're gonna do anything with your exhaust setup.
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #34
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Because some of those cagers are motorcyclists like yourself. I cage to work and am aware of my surroundings and motorcyclists.

Because we're better than them. I'd like to think we're more considerate than them. =P

If yours is anything like mine you can unscrew the bolt holding the silencer. What kinda exhaust do you have? Pics of silencer?

well thats cuz you ride. people who dont ride, drive like idiots around bikes. and dont care to watch for them. some even make our lives worst.
and no i cant unscrew it. its actually welded in so i would have to like carve it out.
thanks tho. its just a stock exhaust.

Old March 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #35
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvr View Post
Yeesh. No kidding.

btw, just my 2 cents: I got a 15in AreaP QC full system, and I absolutely love it. When you pull that shiny hunk of pretty out of the box and compare the weight to the chunky thing you're taking off the bike, you'll be happy you spent every penny. I would definitely advise a full system if you're gonna do anything with your exhaust setup.
thanks for the advice

Old March 24th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #36
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Nothing major about it

some pics of the insdie here;
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=stock+baffle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muff.JPG (191.1 KB, 0 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #37
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

All slip-ons are going to be around $150 and higher, you might be able to find one used for less. Most likely with a slip-on you will have to shim the needles in your carbs, remove the snorkel and plug the Kleen-air system (the last to get rid of the annoying pops). If you aren't mechanically inclined you will need help. BTW you will have to do the same thing if you pull out the insides of your stock exhaust to make it louder.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10090
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948

The other guys are suggesting a full system (AreaP). If you have people who know how to tune a bike then get a full system, but that will also require you to rejet the bike and costs significantly more money ($500+). This means, new needles, pulling the Kleen-air system, possibly removing the airbox and replacing with a pod air filter, installing a full exhaust system (headers and can) and then the fun task of tuning the bike. (I can't even begin to link all those DIY threads... it makes my head hurt).

If you don't know what you are doing or don't have someone to help, leave the bike stock. There are stories on the forums of guys having serious engine issues from improperly tuned bikes due to exhaust modifications.

I had my fiance help me with shimming the needles when I had a slip on... he wanted to destroy my bike afterwords because it was so frustrating from taking my bike half apart to stripped screws, etc. Luckily I had an amazing deal with AreaP since they borrowed my bike, in payment they put on a full system and tuned bike properly. If I didn't have either situation take place my bike would be bone stock exhaust wise.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #38
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Nothing major about it

some pics of the insdie here;
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=stock+baffle
mine looks like that but, u take the cap off, and on the inside is the silencer, right?
mine is like welded in.

what year was that bike in the picture?

Old March 24th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #39
bbbrandy19
Ninja Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
All slip-ons are going to be around $150 and higher, you might be able to find one used for less. Most likely with a slip-on you will have to shim the needles in your carbs, remove the snorkel and plug the Kleen-air system (the last to get rid of the annoying pops). If you aren't mechanically inclined you will need help. BTW you will have to do the same thing if you pull out the insides of your stock exhaust to make it louder.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49003
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11963
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10090
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948

The other guys are suggesting a full system (AreaP). If you have people who know how to tune a bike then get a full system, but that will also require you to rejet the bike and costs significantly more money ($500+). This means, new needles, pulling the Kleen-air system, possibly removing the airbox and replacing with a pod air filter, installing a full exhaust system (headers and can) and then the fun task of tuning the bike. (I can't even begin to link all those DIY threads... it makes my head hurt).

If you don't know what you are doing or don't have someone to help, leave the bike stock. There are stories on the forums of guys having serious engine issues from improperly tuned bikes due to exhaust modifications.

I had my fiance help me with shimming the needles when I had a slip on... he wanted to destroy my bike afterwords because it was so frustrating from taking my bike half apart to stripped screws, etc. Luckily I had an amazing deal with AreaP since they borrowed my bike, in payment they put on a full system and tuned bike properly. If I didn't have either situation take place my bike would be bone stock exhaust wise.
oh wow.. okay yea thank you! that was alot of information. I appreciate it!