ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 30th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wow. HUGE insurance savings. Am I reading this right?

I got Progressive back in 2008 when I got the bike. I don't have health insurance and I have no backup transportation, so I made sure to "over insure" myself. I don't want to have the bike stolen from a motel while I'm half way on my first or my next coast-to-coast trip. I could hit a wall and I'm covered, assuming I survive.

Anyway, I could only afford monthly payments, which was about $50 a month for the last three years. It went from slightly under $50 to almost exacty $50 to about $51 over that same period despite mounting experience, no infractions, no claims, etc. Anyway, it's time to renew again and I got a letter in the mail basically saying that my safe driving for the last few years qualifies me for a measley price drop of a dollar or two a month, which doesn't even put me back where I started.

I was angry so I called up the insurance office that sold me the Progressive policy and asked to renegotiate it. Instead, they offered a completely different policy with Foremost (a division of Farmers), insisting that they were "usually much cheaper." When I got this in my email, they insisted that it was apples-to-apples except that I got IMPROVED terms (lower deductible, higher coverage, etc). A quick glance shows that they are right, but the price is just too much cheaper to be believed. Seriously? Foremost's $225 a year with more coverage vs. Progressive's $484 a year with less coverage? Am I missing something?! There has got to be a catch.

Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they fare when it comes time to make a claim? Is their price normal and I was just getting ripped by Progressive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1p.jpg (77.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2p.jpg (45.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1f.jpg (79.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2f.jpg (33.7 KB, 12 views)
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #2
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

No you didn't miss anything. I had Progressive for everything including my bikes and one day I stooped at Nationwide to get a quote. It was 40% of what I was paying with exactly same coverage. They were about the same on my cages so I still have progressive for those but bikes are on Nationwide now for three years and no increases.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #3
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I've been with progressive for 6 years now for all my bikes. Doesnt matter what bike it is, my 250, my Concours, a 1500 crusier, or my Rhino sxs, every single 1 is about $30/mo. Thats 500 deductible and 100/300/50. I'm pretty happy with them.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #4
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
I've been with progressive for 6 years now for all my bikes. Doesnt matter what bike it is, my 250, my Concours, a 1500 crusier, or my Rhino sxs, every single 1 is about $30/mo. Thats 500 deductible and 100/300/50. I'm pretty happy with them.
I got a quote similar to that a few months ago, then I filled out another one last night and it was $1225/yr
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I just sent my info in; waiting for my quote to show up in my inbox.

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #6
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

I've been insured thru Nationwide (same agent) for every policy I've ever held. Right now on my auto, I pay 132/month. I have a loan on it, so full coverage. I don't know what the breakdown of the policy is, that stuff makes my head spin. When my agent starts talking details in Insurancese, my eyes just glaze over. I have one speeding ticket, and one accident, where it was no-fault. I had no idea what to expect when getting quotes for a bike, but i called them and gave em the VIN, and they said $11/mo minimal, for full it would have been $19. I almost choked on my coffee. I was expecting to pay waaaaay more.
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #7
taikahn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tai

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja, 71 Honda Cafe

Im paying $120 a year for full coverage at American Family insurance. I'm married, a home owner and I live in Colorado.
taikahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #8
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Hmm. This thread made me check them out. But I guess it's a bit more expensive for California and me.
I got the absolute minimum policy I'm required in CA which is WWWWAYY less coverege than you have right there and I got quoted $891 per year. I might still go for it though. I have a feeling it's cheaper than what i'd get from other places.

It probably makes a world difference in their quote that I JUST got my licence doesn't it?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #9
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

From what I found, I'd pay the slightly higher premiums to have a good named Ins comp behind me. I found the cheaper mo payment places do NOT pay out if a claim and if they do pay it, they will most likely drop you for it.

I have Nationwide for both my van and car, but due to a screw up w/ computer system (read that as, the Nationwide employee typo'd my app and got it rejected), I just dropped them and went w/ Allstate last night in fact.
My payments stayed about same on both, but I got better coverage and only a $100 deduct on both policies and now I have uninsured coverage on my bike.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #10
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

My Nationwide is $112 for 100/300 liability only for both bikes (not each). Also have the uninsured for $50,000

Got 2005 Ninja 250 and 2005 Vulcan 500. I ride both, weekdays the ninja, weekend the vulcan. Ride about 11000 miles.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #11
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I would only use 1 of 2 companys
State Farm or Country Companys.

Both will settle your homeowners claim without a fight of any kind. Thats important to me.

Years ago when I ran a small construction company, there was a tornado and a hail storm that blew thru my area. When I was called for a estimate to repair the damage my first question was.....Who is your insurance company?
If you didnt say one of the 2 above. I would politely tell the homeowner I was too busy. This was not a lie as I was so buried. I hired a second crew.
Both State Farm and Country Companys would take my "word" on unseen damage and cut a check that day. No hassle, no fuss. It was quite refreshing. All of the other so called BIG insurance companys thought I had the time to debate the adjustor over the damage and price. Not fair to me, and for sure not fair to the HOMEOWNER / policyholder.

For the people who's house was destroyed they had a check in hand within 4 hours of the phone call to the agent. Nice way to keep your policyholders.
I havent made an auto claim in years but my home is my biggest investment and IF i need to make a claim Im not interested in debating and adjustor who has no IDEA what he/she is talking about.
I had an allstate adjustor TELL me how to do my job, how much to charge, and waste 3 hours of my workday. I asked what his experience in the field was. He replied "allstate sent us to a class." Needless to say this is when I started asking homeowners "Whos your insurance co?"

I have had State Farm for years now.
I paid $141 for the whole year on the 250
Full coverage $250 deductable.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #12
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

When I was first getting my bike I looked at all the major companies, all wanting $1000+ for a year... for a Ninja 250.

Looked at Progressive, and I was able to get full coverage of everything for $300 a year. I'm sticking with Progressive and moving my car insurance over to them (for more than half the savings for more coverage)
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #13
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

You guys have it easy down in the US. I pay 1900 a month for my 250 ... When i was looking at upgrading to a 2008 honda cbr 6RR they wanted 15,000 for basic coverage ...Like seriously how do u even justify that much when in canada we only can ride for like 5 months TOPPSS...just some food for thought when you guys think u r getting bent over

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #14
b31den
ninjette.org newbie

Name: b31den

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
You guys have it easy down in the US. I pay 1900 a month for my 250 ... When i was looking at upgrading to a 2008 honda cbr 6RR they wanted 15,000 for basic coverage ...Like seriously how do u even justify that much when in canada we only can ride for like 5 months TOPPSS...just some food for thought when you guys think u r getting bent over
Thats crazy. I pay $11/month for my 07 zzr250. Im male, 25, from Alberta. You need to shop around. Youre a sucker if youre actually paying that much.
b31den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #15
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by b31den View Post
Thats crazy. I pay $11/month for my 07 zzr250. Im male, 25, from Alberta. You need to shop around. Youre a sucker if youre actually paying that much.
Im 22 on the 09 250, I actually called my broker after reading all this and she told me its because of the area i live in and there are a lot of claims....That is the CHEAPEST quote i got on the 250 others wanted anywhere from ~2500-4000. Im told it has a lot to do with me being under the 25 year old marker so i guess i just gotta suck it up for right now if i want to ride

Old July 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #16
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Progressive is a big rip off. They wanted me to pay 1500 a year (full coverage) for my bike. That's like paying for my bike every two years. My record is clean and this is CO, its not like I am going to be riding all year.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #17
Albach
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 06 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
I would only use 1 of 2 companys
State Farm or Country Companys.

Both will settle your homeowners claim without a fight of any kind. Thats important to me.

Years ago when I ran a small construction company, there was a tornado and a hail storm that blew thru my area. When I was called for a estimate to repair the damage my first question was.....Who is your insurance company?
If you didnt say one of the 2 above. I would politely tell the homeowner I was too busy. This was not a lie as I was so buried. I hired a second crew.
Both State Farm and Country Companys would take my "word" on unseen damage and cut a check that day. No hassle, no fuss. It was quite refreshing. All of the other so called BIG insurance companys thought I had the time to debate the adjustor over the damage and price. Not fair to me, and for sure not fair to the HOMEOWNER / policyholder.

For the people who's house was destroyed they had a check in hand within 4 hours of the phone call to the agent. Nice way to keep your policyholders.
I havent made an auto claim in years but my home is my biggest investment and IF i need to make a claim Im not interested in debating and adjustor who has no IDEA what he/she is talking about.
I had an allstate adjustor TELL me how to do my job, how much to charge, and waste 3 hours of my workday. I asked what his experience in the field was. He replied "allstate sent us to a class." Needless to say this is when I started asking homeowners "Whos your insurance co?"

I have had State Farm for years now.
I paid $141 for the whole year on the 250
Full coverage $250 deductable.

Be careful with the generalizations here. Hurricane Ivan tore our roof off and because of a 8 inch storm surge, they would not touch anything below 5 feet. Ended up with an SBA loan. Is was my parents house.

On topic. I switch to farmers 8 or 9 months ago, been very happy.

Moto quote is 348$/year with medical. Not sure on break downs. That was before MSF or endorsement. Waiting for updated quote with those 2 discounts.
22 year old male.
Albach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #18
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albach View Post
Be careful with the generalizations here. Hurricane Ivan tore our roof off and because of a 8 inch storm surge, they would not touch anything below 5 feet. Ended up with an SBA loan. Is was my parents house.

On topic. I switch to farmers 8 or 9 months ago, been very happy.

Moto quote is 348$/year with medical. Not sure on break downs. That was before MSF or endorsement. Waiting for updated quote with those 2 discounts.
22 year old male.
Im guessing they didnt have a flood insurance policy. BUMMER. But it is a separate policy from your homeowners.
Not a concern here in my area unless you live ON the river.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #19
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I have riders insurance. They only do motorcycles but they are only in a few states on the east coast. They are drastically cheaper than any other insurance quote I got.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #20
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Quote:
Hang on. Did I read right? You pay $22800 CAD a year to insure a motorcycle worth ~$5000CAD. REALLY?
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:35 AM   #21
b31den
ninjette.org newbie

Name: b31den

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250

Quote:
Im 22 on the 09 250, I actually called my broker after reading all this and she told me its because of the area i live in and there are a lot of claims....That is the CHEAPEST quote i got on the 250 others wanted anywhere from ~2500-4000. Im told it has a lot to do with me being under the 25 year old marker so i guess i just gotta suck it up for right now if i want to ride
I switched from TD to Desjardins when I was 23 for car insurance. Same coverage, dropped from $1400 to $550. So far my rate hasnt really changed since turning 25, so I wouldnt be surprised if for motorcycles under 25 theyre really good too. However, Ive also never gotten any traffic tickets or had an accident. *knock on wood*

Try giving Desjardins Direct a call for a quote.

Good luck, maybe your broker likes getting the bigger cut of high premiums too much.
b31den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:19 AM   #22
sarapacman99
Climb to Glory!

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R White (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Progressive is a big rip off. They wanted me to pay 1500 a year (full coverage) for my bike. That's like paying for my bike every two years. My record is clean and this is CO, its not like I am going to be riding all year.
I paid $1,567 for a year coz i'm 23 and progressive hates vets. I'm going to try other companies after my policy runs out.

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:25 AM   #23
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Just so you all know each company bases it's prices for each area on it's history with the area. If you live in an area, and drive a class of vehicle that they have had to pay more claims on, your prices will be higher. This is standard practice. I found this out from the insurance companies (it was Progressive that told me this actually). So you could be with the same company for years, move to a new location and have a drastic change in price just because of the location having many more claims to THAT company. It sucks, but it is what it is. All you can do is shop around for the best price for you location and situation.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote