ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 5th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #1
N1nja_N00b
One Day Owner:

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): None yet :(

Your First Mods

What were the first couple modifications you did to your Ninja when you first got it? Which mods did you DIY? Any recommendations?

Look forward to seeing some your guys' work!

Old April 5th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

shimming the needles is a must, or so I hear.

Old April 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #3
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

chopped fender and shimmed needles within weeks of getting of the bike
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #4
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

DIY fender delete, 15t sprocket. Both easy to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
kkim

I recommend, before you go spending any money on mods, that you buy all of your safety gear and have paid the cost of the MSF course, first.

at that point, the best thing you can do, once you get your bike, is to concentrate on learning how to ride in a safe and controlled manner... easier than it sounds. Read all the crash threads and you'll see the majority of them are due to operator error.

after awhile, the bike's shortcomings will become apparent, which are the mods that you should attend to first. cosmetic stuff can always come later.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
N1nja_N00b
One Day Owner:

Motorcycle(s): None yet :(

kkim, you definitely speak wise words. Before I even go about getting one, I'm going to be taking the MSF course to make sure that it is right for me.

I was hoping to see what everyone else's first little adjustments and modifications were just to try to stave off my wild imagination.

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Sixringz
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Well the very first thing I did was slap a local shop's decal on my windscreen. I bought a fender eliminator. My future plans are an exhaust and and an aftermarket windscreen.
Sixringz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #8
J Walk
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Competition Werkes FE, OEM seat cowl, shimmed needles, snorkle removed, and double bubble windscreen.
J Walk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Relevant mongo mods thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22910

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My first mod I did the next day after I bought it was, replaced the stock horn with the FIAMM Freeway Blaster.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
shimming the needles is a must, or so I hear.
This

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I'd say:

1. Get protective, visible gear to keep you safer.
2. Take a riding class to improve your safety skills.
3. Replace stock tires for better stopping and handling to keep you safer.
4. Mirror extenders to allow better rear view to keep you safer.
5. Tail light modulator to make your brake light more noticible to keep you safer.

Notice a theme on what you should do first? After the safety stuff, think about:

6. Spool Sliders. You'll want to buy a lift to put your bike up for maintenance. Not just for oil changes, but for chain lube you'll need to do every 400 miles or so. To do that, you need rear spools.
7. Tank Projector. Nothing worse than scratching your tank paint with your belt. Easy to protect it with a ProGrip tank protector. You might also consider tank grip pads, which protect the sides of the tank and give your knees something to grip on for better handling.
8. Needle Shim. Depending on your elevation/heat/humidity/etc. Stock Ninjettes tend to (but not all do) run lean just off idle. If your bike is typical (mine wasn't), shimming the needles fixes that and makes the bike run better.
9. Grips. The stock grips are fine, but I found them to be too thin to effectively protect my hands from vibration on bad roads. Replaced them with ProGrip 719 gels, to good effect. If you are sensitive to vibration, you can also add heavyweight bar ends.
10. Fender eliminator kit. The stock plastic proboscis hanging off the back of the bike is just plain ugly. I love my EvoTech kit and how it looks.
11. Flush mount blinkers. I don't use these, because I think non-flush is easier for others to see and therefore safer. However, many do move to flush mount because of looks and because the stock signals can punch a hole in the fairings when (not if) your bike goes over.
12. Exhaust. Aftermarket exhaust can improve power by 5-7hp or so and make the bike sound better. Area P makes great exhausts and should be your first choice if you decide to do this. If you do, don't forget to rejet your carb, too.
13. Aftermarket horn. I'm not convinced that you should be on your horn to avoid an accident, preferring preparation instead, or that a louder horn provides a significant advantage, but it is worth thinking about. Many replace their stock whimpy horns with something that can really get a car's attention.
14. Alarm system. I use a Bully Pager U-Lock. Others get real alarm systems. Best to get something.
15. Regearing. Many find the stock gearing of 14/45 makes the ninjette ill equipped for freeways and too short in 1st gear. Some on this forum are almost religious in their zeal for new sprockets. Regearing will give you better top end speed at the cost of acceleration, and is worth consideration if you plan on megahighway operation. I've stuck with stock gearing and, especially after the additional power from rejetting and the new exhaust, find the stock gearing very well suited to riding the back roads I usually take.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #13
rockNroll

He asks about bike mods and gets info on gear and msf classes

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #14
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Very good info above

DIY rear fender chop - free.
Tank pad - $15
15 tooth front sprocket - $15
Progrips - $10
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
We're funny that way.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #16
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Hi. My name is Floyd and I'm a gear whore. (*and everyone says*) Hi, Floyd.

Also, just hate, HATE, to see new riders put $500 into a new exhaust before they've bought a good set of gear.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old April 6th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #17
rockNroll

I say git ya a pipe, jet kit, fender eliminator and paint yer windscreen... then ride it nekkid!

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #18
cinjette10
ninjette.org member

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition

Almost have had it for a year now and have not did one single mod.
cinjette10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #19
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinjette10 View Post
almost have had it for a year now and have not did one single mod.
get crackin!!!!
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #20
cinjette10
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
get crackin!!!!
I know I know, I started out with intentions of riding this for a year or so and moving on to a zx6r and didn't see the point of dropping money into mods just to sell it. Now I'm not sure if I want to get rid of it so I'll probably start a mod-fest on it pretty soon.

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #21
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinjette10 View Post
Almost have had it for a year now and have not did one single mod.
I commend you on your self restraint.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #22
cinjette10
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I commend you on your self restraint.
Yeah it's been hard not to buy something when it seems like there's always a new part showing up on the door step for my husband's bike.

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I agree with the above statements and suggestions. Another thing you may want to consider (especially if you are a taller rider) are clipons and rearsets... this moves you bars foward and down, and your pegs back and up. You will be suprised just how much room this actually gives you and makes for a more aggressive riding position.

I have my clipons sitting in the garage (going on this weekend) and haven't done the rearsets yet... but I've ridden a bike that had both done and loved the feel!

However, first and foremost... ride the bike in stock form until you find something you dont like... then change it!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

I'm still a newb too, have had my Ninja for a couple of weeks. Second day I had it I did the ol' Dremel fender eliminator (free). Yesterday, I stuck on some convex blind-spot stick-on mirrors ($3/pair). I have a ProGrip tank pad that should be arriving today ($6 off eBay, probably a knock-off ProGrip). I have Shogun frame sliders (free, early b-day gift from my parents ) sitting in my garage hopefully to be installed this weekend. I'm still waffling on shimming the needles while I'm installing the frame sliders. Just a bit nervous I'll screw something up but it's something I really want to do.

I still need to get some boots and overpants which will be in the next couple of weeks to round out my riding gear. After that, the only other "first mod" I want to get done is the no-cut tail light modulator.

Beyond that, any other mods will be a ways off - rear seat cowl, rear spools/stands, maybe HIDs. I don't really plan on doing too much with this bike since I honestly do see it as a learning bike before stepping up to a 600 in a few years. If I end up deciding to just keep the 250R and not move on to something bigger then I'd definitely look into an AreaP system. I plan on using most of my money on gear that I can use with any bike.

Quote:
gfloyd2002: 6. Spool Sliders. You'll want to buy a lift to put your bike up for maintenance. Not just for oil changes, but for chain lube you'll need to do every 400 miles or so. To do that, you need rear spools.
I'm only commenting on this since it was higher up on your list... I went to Home Depot and spent $5 on a pair of bolts to thread into the swing-arm and plan to just use those with an existing set of jackstands as a make-shift rear stand. Just wanted to throw that out there as cheaper alternative if you need to get only the rear wheel off the ground in immediate future (clean/lube chain, chain adjustment, etc.). I still plan on getting some T-Rex stands by winter time when the bike will be getting stored. Getting my riding gear is more important to me at this point so the stands will just have to wait.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #25
Sushilover
Forever Newbie

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250

With my lack of mechanical/electrical and just general skills... I had a friend help me put reflective rimtape on my Ninja... that's as far as i've gotten so far haha.

When i feel bold enough, I MAY try to put a tank pad on... with no help!
Sushilover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #26
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Chopped fender, painted windscreen right away!

Old April 7th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #27
c717905
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250, 2009 Black ZX-6r

In the order I actually did them:
1) OEM seat cowl- I hate the stock seat and the cowl just makes the bike look so much better. I had the cowl for a discount from the dealer before I ever agreed to buy the bike, it was that important to me.
2) Fender eliminator- that huge hunk of plastic just had to go.
3) Brake light modulator- so much safer to have the lights blinking than just solidly on.
4) Kanji decals for "Martial Arts" and "Karate"- important to me given my line of work, plus it makes the bike more mine
5) Silver reflective rimtape- makes me nice and noticeable at night, plus gives the bike a little more style
6) Upgraded both tires to Battlax BT-021s- went with 150/70-17 on the rear and 120/70-17 on the front. I feel mo secure on the bike with better tires and have noticed less slippage while riding. I would go with 150/60-17s next time however from what people have said on here. Those seem to work better.
7) Yoshimura slip-on exhaust- if given the opportunity to do it again, I would have done this first. The sound, the look, the nice cool carbon fiber (literally and figuratively) is a must.
8) Shimmed the carbs- This had the most noticeable improvement in performance on my bike, plus it was great fun to tear into the bike and do some real work.
9) Mirror extenders- these are a must for bigger guys. I can finally see behind me without having to do the chicken with my arms.
10) Yoshimura rear set brackets- really can't notice the difference honestly, but supposed to allow taller guys like me to be more comfortable and have a more aggressive stance.
11) Proton flush mount signals- I just hated the way the stock blinkers looked. They actually aren't as bright as I had thought, but they do look nice.
12) BikeLiteZ integrated brake light- I love the way this looks and it is soooo much brighter and soooo much safer, plus much cleaner looking.
13) Gas cap venting- I actually did this one a few hrs ago so I have yet to see/hear how well it works, but hopefully it will eliminate the whining for which our bikes are known.
14) MRA smoked double bubble windshield- I don't have this one in-hand yet, but it is on order and should be done by the end of the month.

Apparently I have done a few things. I'm debating on getting a Corwin seat, which is obviously supposed to be more comfortable. I am also thinking about an HID upgrade, but I am not exactly confident I can do the wiring.

Old April 8th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #28
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
I'm only commenting on this since it was higher up on your list... I went to Home Depot and spent $5 on a pair of bolts to thread into the swing-arm and plan to just use those with an existing set of jackstands as a make-shift rear stand. Just wanted to throw that out there as cheaper alternative if you need to get only the rear wheel off the ground in immediate future (clean/lube chain, chain adjustment, etc.)
Good option, but be sure not to keep those bolts threaded in when you ride. If your bike goes does with them on, it will catch and could cause the bike to tumble. Not good for the rider and really not good for the bike. Good swingarm sliders will safely slide if you go down, even providing some abrasion protection for the bike.

Old April 8th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #29
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Most definitely.. they don't stay on the bike. I've put them in once just to make sure I bought the right thread/pitch. They sit on my work bench otherwise.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #30
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

My first mod was extra brake lights in the side pods. Next up was a 15T front sprocket, oh so nice and mileage jumped to the low-mid 60's. Since then I've swapped most of the lighting over to LEDs, painted the bike Atomic Orange, and installed foam grips (no more numb, tingly hands!) I've got a Corbin I only use for long trips, and added a Mike's Euroshield. Oh, and an external fuel filter.

Currently I'm working on a new instrument cluster, I really want graduated and accurate oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #31
Newguy70
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Replace the brake lights, with a brake light that has a clear back housing on the unit, that way the blinkers are visible from all angles. Case in point, I swapped mine out for the .

http://www.rizoma.com/en/products-bi...5c6/zero11.jpg

The number one reason for this was safety, as in Bangkok you have vehicles going in all directions, including lane splitting, oncoming in same lane, etc. These blinkers when activated can be seen from all angles. The same cannot be said for the OEM.

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:22 AM   #32
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

Best two things I've done to mine is to install a taller wind screen which reduces buffeting a LOT. And heated grips really make driving in cool/cold weather MUCH nicer.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #33
kawasaki_ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Lauren

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r Special Edition

yoshimura fender eliminator-which comes with a reflector and a light for your liscense plate

then i spray painted the inside of the windscreen with a specific spary paint for plastic and outdoor use

i ordered a tint for my headlight to make it darker from lamin-x

put a ninja sticker on

my next mods will be to put on frame sliders and slip on (mgp growler from hotbodies)

i have pictures of all my mods in my album of my bike
kawasaki_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote