Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old August 9th, 2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - MO Tested: Sidi Adventure 2 Boot Review

Sidi Adventure 2

Editor Score: 91%Aesthetics 9.0/10Protection 9.0/10 Value 8.5/10Comfort/Fit 9.75/10 Quality/Design 9.5/10 Weight 9.0/10 Options/Selection 8.75/10Innovation 8.75/10Weather Suitability 9.75/10Desirable/Cool Factor 9.0/10Overall Score91/100For a long time, I didn’t get the adventure boot thing. They’re not off-road boots, nor are they purely street/touring boots. Adventure boots are a combination of the two, though they tend to resemble their off-road counterparts. After putting more than 1,500 miles in the Sidi Adventure 2 adventure boots, I get it. They’re not trying to be motocross boots, and they can be more versatile in certain situations than street-biased footwear.

As with any piece of gear or motorcycle, it can be hard to find one tool for every job. Adventure boots are crafted to offer the same versatility found in adventure motorcycles, on and off-road capability, and comfortable touring while still being practical enough for daily use.

Comfort/Fit

The Sidi Adventure 2 boot is exceedingly comfortable straight out of the box. In the past, Italian brands, including Sidi, had been known to fit narrow. That is not the case with any of the three Sidi boots I have recently tested. I have a regular width foot and the Adventure 2 fits perfectly with enough wiggle room for my foot to move slightly or for a thicker sock.

Walking in these boots is also a comfortable task. After using these boots during a 1000-mile ride – which included walking through towns to grab food, hopping back on the bike, stopping for photos and walking on trails – I have absolutely no complaints in the comfort department. The lugged sole provides ample grip on or off of the bike and the insole is comfortable from the beginning. The only gripe I could have is that they are warm in the summer due to the Gore-Tex liner not allowing any airflow, but that’s a function of waterproofing.

On the outside, the hinge point on the inner and outer ankle help to allow your foot to move only in the way it should while providing resistance to over extension. The soft full-grain microfiber that the boot is made up of also breaks in nicely without showing much aging or wear. Along the inner side of both boots, you will find leather paneling to help better grip the bike while standing.

The large gusseted opening allows for easy on/off of the boot.

The large gusseted opening coupled with the stretch fabric at the back of the calf make getting in and out of these boots easy, and the two straps with cam lock style buckles keep the boot snugged up around your foot and ankle.

Protection

The outside of the Adventure 2 is mostly comprised of microfiber and hard plastic TPU components. Microfiber has similar characteristics to genuine leather, though it’s not affected by aging in the same ways. It is lighter than leather, and, most importantly, it offers higher abrasion resistance, tensile strength, and tear resistance compared to leather. Microfiber is also breathable, which allows the Gore-Tex membrane to work the way it should.

The plastic TPU parts found at the heel to midfoot and on the shin provide protection in the areas most likely to be impacted during a crash. The ankle flex system provides support behind the ankle while being connected to the hinge. Raised plastic bits are also found near the lower buckle to help protect the closure in the event of a lowside.

Weatherproof

Gore-Tex is the waterproofing of choice on the Sidi Adventure 2 and we are glad to have it. The Gore-Tex liner can be seen as the silver material inside the boot, which comes up just three inches shy of the top of the boot giving you 11 inches from the ground of waterproof, breathable protection from the elements.

I have no doubt that if using a thicker winter boot sock, these boots could keep you comfortable well into fall and winter temperatures.

I’m happy using the Spidi Adventure 2 for just about any kind of riding. That being said, if I know the plan is to spend most of a ride off-road, I will opt for a stiffer boot like the Crossfire 3.

From the moment I slipped the Sidi Adventure 2 boots on, the whole adventure boot thing started making sense. Now that I have spent thousands of miles wearing them, it makes even more sense. Are they the boot I would grab if most of my adventure riding was going to be done off-road? Nope. I would opt for a stiffer off-road boot like the Crossfire 3. Are they the boot I would choose for just about anything else? Absolutely.

Sidi Adventure 2 $495.00
Learn more here.

The post MO Tested: Sidi Adventure 2 Boot Review appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...