ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

Name: Cullen

Motorcycle(s): None yet

A Pre/New Gen Comparison

I'm sure somebody may have already beat me to the punch with showing this site, but I just wanted to make sure since I found it so helpful.

The author of the page goes over in detail each and every aspect of the two bikes that may or may not be selling points for a potential buyer. For anyone on the rocks about which Gen to get, like me, this page may help you come to a decision (even though I still don't know which one to get ).

http://www.theyeagergroup.com/Compar...ninja_250s.htm
cullenjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Iron Ninjas!! Battle of the 250s!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #3
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@cullenjames: I'll give that a read. Based on the words of the pre-2008 ninjette riders here though, I'd be very happy with that bike if I couldn't afford a newer one. I wanted a new/almost-new bike for my first bike to reduce the chance of getting a dodgy/faulty bike, so that kinda ruled out the pre-2008 ninjette for me. I didn't want to be forced into dealing with electrical/mechanical failures while simultaneously learning to ride: there's so much to learn even without those kind of problems!

Also the newer one looks prettier. I still likes the look of the older pre-2008 ninjette too though! <3 ninjettes!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

@akima Those New Gens are fricking sexy... but based on the article, they're a little bit more difficult to do maintenance on (I can't confirm that).

I'm stuck with the dilemma, but I'm leaning towards a pre-gen since they're a bit cheaper, are typically more forgiving for a beginner, and get a bit getter gas mileage. But then they don't look quite as cool.

Also, if you ever plan on taking a girl on a ride, apparently the muffler positioning on the new-gens makes it difficult for the passenger on foot placement.

Definitely a good article, though.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM   #5
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cullenjames View Post
Also, if you ever plan on taking a girl on a ride, apparently the muffler positioning on the new-gens makes it difficult for the passenger on foot placement.
LOL. So the muffler doesn't like women or something? If I have a guy passenger it wont try and get in the way of his feet?

Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Now now now akima, he's new and didn't know any better.

If you plan on doing two-up riding on a pre-gen I highly suggest getting at least a new-gen series rear shock and progressive fork springs installed. The pre-gen's suspension is a little too soft and the added weight of a passenger would easily bottom it out on small bumps and make it a bit more unsettled when riding.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM   #7
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

Look for a real pre-gen, the ZZR 250H. Not a half hearted F model. More farkles that they left off the F to cheapen it for the masses.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #8
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

Oops, is Akima a girl? If so my apologies, haha.

I was less talking about the suspension and anyone rider's/passenger's weight and more talking about foot placement in regards to the slightly higher angle on the New-gen. I might be wrong though. I know little to nothing and willingly admit to it.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM   #9
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

I got my pre-gen - a 2007, the last year - this past October and I love it - no complaints. If you end up getting a pre-gen, check it out well, of course, before you sign on the dotted line. I love the looks of it... I wouldn't say "classic" because it is too new to truely be classic, but it is definitely styling from a decade or so ago. The new-gens are beautifully styled... hopefully I will be getting one next year, but I still want to hang on to my pre-gen too. Happy hunting!
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
Look for a real pre-gen, the ZZR 250H. Not a half hearted F model. More farkles that they left off the F to cheapen it for the masses.
There's more parts that are made for the F variation. Handles just as well/better with a few small things like J shock and fork springs and tires.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Majority of riders are not going to keep a Ninja 250 as their only bike, most new riders learn on the Ninja 250 then move on...

If I were a beginner rider looking for my first bike, I wouldn't waste my money on a post-gen Ninja 250 since there are plenty of pre-gens available at much lower prices.

The convenience of having a centerstand and lighter weight are far more important than "sexy" looks. To me post-gen Ninja 250 just looks like any other sportbike at a glance. If I want a sportbike, I would get a real sportbike to ride.

If Ninja 250 is going to be your first ride, get one that you don't mind crashing.. chances are high that you will dump your first bike.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
@akima Those New Gens are fricking sexy... but based on the article, they're a little bit more difficult to do maintenance on (I can't confirm that).

I'm stuck with the dilemma, but I'm leaning towards a pre-gen since they're a bit cheaper, are typically more forgiving for a beginner, and get a bit getter gas mileage. But then they don't look quite as cool.

Definitely a good article, though.

How are the pre-gens any more forgiving for a beginner than the new-gens? And I'd assume it'd be just as tricky on a pre-gen for passenger footing considering they have 2 exhaust pipes to worry about and from the picture in that article, they look like they're mounted in a similar angle.

I personally can't stand the looks of the pre-gen. No, looks aren't everything but to some, they definitely matter. The fact that new-gen 250's look like any other sportbike at a glance is a MAJOR selling point for me as a beginner rider. Then again, maybe I should listen to "A" and get a 600 since I want a sport bike. Hope the reaper is ready for me..

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #13
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
Half-hearted? What does that mean?

You do realize he's in the US where we don't have the ZZR? It would be more work and hassle for him to get a ZZR for use on the US roads than to just get a true pre-gen (ZZR is a mid-gen ) and just make any upgrades he thinks it needs.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
How are the pre-gens any more forgiving for a beginner than the new-gens?
I think they handle a drop better? But idk. I would describe it maybe not as less forgiving but it is easier to forgive cause you can buy cheap parts. <-- Not worded well. But from my recent experience and one reason why I bought the pregen was because it is so cheap to find used parts when you do crash it. And there are so many DIY and other helpful articles. But don't get me wrong the newgen is getting more and more support. And as they get older used parts will be much cheaper when people keep crashing their Ninjettes. The new gens are now 4 years old. That isn't all that new.

It is also easier to forgive yourself when you crash a pregen vs a newen because, Pregens become better looking when their front portion of the bike shatters into pieces. Can't say the same for a newgen.

Despite my pregens not so purty front end looks, I don't mind because I am not looking at the front of it when I am riding it.

Oh and best of all. It is cheaper! It is my first bike so I figured I would either drop it and/or crash it so why not buy a cheap, cool, practical bike. But I am also a college student who doesn't make a lot of money, but if I had the cash I probably would've bought a newgen. Just for it's sexy looks.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #15
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
It is also easier to forgive yourself when you crash a pregen vs a newen because, Pregens become better looking when their front portion of the bike shatters into pieces.

Burst out laughing when I read that for some unknown reason! I think it's because the pre-2008 ninjette is a bit of an ugly duckling (BUT STILL LOVELY!), so the thought of it's fairings being smashed to pieces but it still retaining equal attractiveness is kinda funny! Poor things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
If I want a sportbike, I would get a real sportbike to ride.

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #16
sombo

My pre-gen and I are NOT amused. In case you forgot, that's what almost all sport bikes looked like back in the late 80's to early 90's. It's not ugly, just outdated tyvm.

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
My pre-gen and I are NOT amused. In case you forgot, that's what almost all sport bikes looked like back in the late 80's to early 90's. It's not ugly, just outdated tyvm.
AMEN!!! Quoted for Truth!!

Mik is quite beautiful in my eyes thank you! I keep her clean and scratch free and give her new parts when I think they're needed! hmpf!

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #18
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
lmao. Sorry Sombo's pre-gen! You're beautiful in your own... unique... kinda way

(I do actually like pre-gens btw!)

(On a completely unrelated note, I do actually quite like the ugly ducking. )

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #19
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE my pregen but it is just not that pretty compared to the newgen. My bike was almost scratch free and was always very pretty before I crashed. I got many complements on her, but I am just not a big fan of the 80's/early 90's sportbike look.

Old February 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #20
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I never thought I would own a pre gen, but by sure chance I found one like new for $1k. How could I pass that up? With the extra cash, I was able to get a Shoei, Oxtar boots, and all my other gear and bags right away.

The style has grown on me, and now I love the classic look of the pre gen. It's become very hard for me to part with this bike now, because it's so dang cheap to operate.

Much to my surprise, I get a lot of complements from young guys.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #21
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

newgen FTW!!!

eff the haters!!
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
newgen FTW!!!

eff the haters!!
*waves around all that money that he didn't spend on a newgen* $1600 for a bike with 6300 miles. Check please

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #23
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
*waves around all that money that he didn't spend on a newgen* $1600 for a bike with 6300 miles. Check please
$2500 for a bike with 3000 miles!!

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
$2500
$900 son!

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

3300 less miles and how many years newer?

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
puuu-leeeaase! 3000 miles??

that's nothing. and it was sitting in a garage. Age doesn't make a difference unless it was outside.

Old February 4th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #27
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Quote:
newgen FTW!!!
Well, we'll have to drag race when you get it going... we can trade bikes and try, too (if you're willing)... oh crap, I have 15/45 gearing! Definitely slower off the line vs. stock gearing... You'll smoke me. Well, it'd be fun to try.
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
oh crap, I have 15/45 gearing! Definitely slower off the line vs. stock gearing... You'll smoke me. Well, it'd be fun to try.
Lemme get this one sometime. I got 14/47 gearing, and he's got 25lbs on me, and his bike has 20 lbs on my bike I wanna take Justin DOOOWWWN!

*cracks neck as menacingly as possible*

Old February 5th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #29
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
Well, we'll have to drag race when you get it going... we can trade bikes and try, too (if you're willing)... oh crap, I have 15/45 gearing! Definitely slower off the line vs. stock gearing... You'll smoke me. Well, it'd be fun to try.
haha Im down Alan! We can help Cullen decide which one he wants

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #30
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

I think I'm leaning towards a pre-gen as of the moment. Better technology, no choke, can actually see how much you have left in the tank, way sexier. I think I'd prefer more power mid-range rather than top-end since I plan on eventually graduating to the twistys.

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #31
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
cullenjames you mean a new-gen?

btw, they still have a choke and carbs. And both newgen and pregen are plenty fun in the twisties. The newgen is just a little better package right out of the box. Both bikes need some modifications, but both are still fun.

You don't need to see how much you have left in the tank. That's what the reserve is for the temp gauge is important though, and the newgens don't have those

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #32
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
cullenjames you mean a new-gen?
Yes, I'm an idiot.

Thought they upgraded to fuel injection for the new-gens. O well, it's not difficult, just tedious on cold mornings...

I like that you don't have to purchase a new seat cowl on the new-gens. My bike will be my baby and I won't overheat her.

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Fuel injection is on the European models.

Old February 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I like that you don't have to purchase a new seat cowl on the new-gens. My bike will be my baby and I won't overheat her.
Huh? The seat cowl is an optional accessory on the new gen's , and is unavailable on the pregens. I don't know what it has to do with overheating.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #35
cullenjames
ninjette.org member

I want fuel injection.

Those were two separate thoughts. I'm going to baby my bike so I won't have to worry about it overheating.

Old February 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #36
Jono

Quote:
I want fuel injection.

Those were two separate thoughts. I'm going to baby my bike so I won't have to worry about it overheating.
CBR 250 is FI.

The still can get pretty hot if your stuck in bad traffic and it is 100 degrees out. But it still shouldn't over heat. It is nice to see the temp though. Specially when it is cold out and you want to know if the engine is warm enough to rev up high! I don't ask a lot from my ninja when she is still cold. Same for my car. Let em warm up!

Old February 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #37
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

My only thoughts WRT which gen is better for me:

I like the pregen because they're much less expensive to buy with very low miles, and more importantly, because the valve adjustments require only labor, no parts. Though the newgen's valve adjustment interval is longer (7,500mi vs 6000mi) the process requires purchasing shims on the newgen. It also requires removing cams and subsequent time spent making sure cam timing is correct upon reassembly. Plus, you have to purchase or otherwise obtain shims.

Replacement parts such as fairings and tank are becoming extremely high for the pregen compared to the newgen. It's not uncommon to see folks asking several hundred dollars for tanks and fairings with extensive damage. It's been almost six years since the last pregen rolled off the assembly line so this is to be expected.

Personally, I like the pregen's looks over the newgen. To me, the newgen "angry stinger in the air" body look is very unappealing.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I don't know what it has to do with overheating.
He's talking about the temp gauge on pre-gen's vs the newgens not having a temp gauge because I mentioned the pregens having a temp gauge.

cullenjames the temp gauge is nice to know when the bike is up to temp, rather than when it's overheating. Just because you baby it doesn't mean it won't over heat. They cool better when they're under load and being worked. Without the temp gauge, there's really no way of knowing when the bike is up to temp.

Old February 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #39
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
He's talking about the temp gauge on pre-gen's vs the newgens not having a temp gauge because I mentioned the pregens having a temp gauge.

cullenjames the temp gauge is nice to know when the bike is up to temp, rather than when it's overheating. Just because you baby it doesn't mean it won't over heat. They cool better when they're under load and being worked. Without the temp gauge, there's really no way of knowing when the bike is up to temp.
get a koso digital gauge with a temp gauge stuckon the side. Problem solved.

Old February 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #40
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

"Personally, I like the pregen's looks over the newgen. To me, the newgen "angry stinger in the air" body look is very unappealing."

That's why there are two body styles, that angry stinger is the main reason I think the newgen looks better!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote