ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:18 PM   #1
arcman
Love to ride

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX10-R

Unsheathed wires?

'09 Ninja non EFI.

Took the left hand side fairing off today to clean the build up of Motul Factory cahin lube which lovingly makes it's way onto the fairings and noticed a unsheathed wire sitting on bare metal.

In the photo below, just to the right of the idle screw there is a black connector attaching to green and black wires, to the right of the black connector this cable routes down towards the vent hoses:

what's got me worried is that where this cable currently routes down, it's sitting on bare metal (looking top down from the left hand side of the bike almost where the seat is):

close up:

I tried pulling the sheathing up but there's no slack.

Anyone know if this is the correct route for this cable or where it should go if this isn't?

Many thanks,
A.
arcman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #2
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

You can wrap some plastic hoses & electric taped around it to protect it. I think that's the signal wires.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #3
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Nope, that's the connector to the side stand switch. I think the angle of your view is misleading you. Does your side stand switch work?

The blue arrow in the following picture points to the connector (disconnected on my bike) that you are looking at:

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #4
arcman
Love to ride

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX10-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Nope, that's the connector to the side stand switch. I think the angle of your view is misleading you. Does your side stand switch work?
Yep, the side stand switch works fine, according to the service manual that's what that cable is for...if you trace from where your disconnected block in blue is towards the back of the bike, where does it route through? I can't see in the service manual exactly where it should route...think it must have been routed incorrectly during a service as I don't think Kwaka would have unsheathed wires sitting on a metal bar.

Ty,
A.
arcman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

sorry about the mis-id of the wire/plug..but doesn't matter..just re-route it, and may beb ziptie it somewhere so it won't rub...wrap some electrical tape/plastic or rubber hose around would be good too.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #6
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcman View Post
Yep, the side stand switch works fine, according to the service manual that's what that cable is for...if you trace from where your disconnected block in blue is towards the back of the bike, where does it route through? I can't see in the service manual exactly where it should route...think it must have been routed incorrectly during a service as I don't think Kwaka would have unsheathed wires sitting on a metal bar.

Ty,
A.
It's routed correctly, just like mine and it's pulled tight and tie-wrapped. Have you looked really close to see if any wiring is exposed? It doesn't look like it in your pics. I will look at them again. If the side stand works, then it maybe the ground wire shorting to ground and that would not be a problem!

Update: In this pic, it looks like the insulated wire is behind the metal frame. Pull it away and look at the wire. If it is cut, then wrap it with electrical tape and forget about it.

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote