ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:30 AM   #41
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
Why not start with white leathers instead of black? Or high-vis yellow?

Also, water alone is absolutely not sufficient for hydration - you are losing a lot of minerals with sweat. I worked at a metallurgical plant in my misspent youth, the guys who work by the melting metal drink carbonated water with a dash of sea salt, that's the only thing that kept them alive.
Very good point. Water alone does not help. You need to restore your electrolytes. Gatorade would give me headaches and cramps because of the high sugar content.

I would buy Pedialyte but at $5 it would get really expensive where I would ride in 115 degree heat for 3 days at times. During those 3 days in the summer every month I would spend close to $100.

The good news is I found a recipe for homemade Pedialyte that I have been using consistently for a couple years now. It works and Ive never cramped up or suffered dehydration symptoms. So without further ado, I will share it all with you.

32 oz water (good water helps...like reverse osmosis water)
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt substitute

Combine contents and mix them. Consume within 4 days of making it. I found that if you use mason jars it makes it easy to measure and because it is glass, you don't get the taste of plastic since it will leech.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:35 AM   #42
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Dilute the gatorade, easy.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:36 AM   #43
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
Dilute the gatorade, easy.
I tried that at first...same problem. Plus for the price of a gallon of gatorade you can buy all the supplies needed for my recipe and be good for quite a long time.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:38 AM   #44
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Try Dead Sea salt - they sell it in fru-fru stores like Whole Foods.
Posted via Mobile Device
liberpolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM   #45
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Deluded picked brine

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #46
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ah, spring, temps start warming up, the "Riding in hot weather?" threads begin blooming, and the advice of mesh comes out of hiding.

Bumping this for those of us who riding in 90° plus most of the year.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #47
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
"Myth #7: You can never drink enough water

While it's true you need to keep water intake steady throughout the day, it is indeed possible to drink too much. If every time you pee, your urine is clear like water, you may have peed out all your electrolytes and you're now on the verge of the same symptoms as sun stroke bundled with organ damage. Keep the water flowing throughout the day in reasonable amounts, but refrain from drinking a few liters of water every hour."

Thanks for posting this....Hyponatremia, water on the brain, can kill you. You get it by drinking too much water. Your body has to have the right balance of water and electrolytes to be properly hydrated. I have my party days of rolling all night years ago to thank for that knowledge

Whatever works for you, Gatorade, PowerAde, homemade recipe, whatever, just don't drink only water all day if you are going to be sweating like crazy.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #48
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

When the temps crack 100°F I use a CoolVest under my mesh. It's quilted with a polymer between the layers, holds a couple of gallons of water and give me up to an hour of cooling per "refill". Refills can be accomplished by dunking them in a sink full of water at a truck stop, or a partial recharge can be done by pouring water down the neck of my t-shirt under the vest.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest

I got mine for $20 on sale one fall, best thing I ever bought for hot weather riding.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote