ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old December 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #1
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Yamaha FZ1, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Mud, Fuel, and Faith

Have you ever been in a situation where you didn't know if it was going to work out? I have many times, but this is the most recent. Check it out and tell me about your own experiences.

http://www.spiritstrike.com/blog/201...fuel-and-faith

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old December 19th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Kaosbandit , thanks for sharing this. I've had a few experiences where I was I was stuck and needed to figure a way out to get out of the mess I was in. While I wouldn't call myself a religious person, I definitely believe there is a spirtual world beyond our physical world that touches our lives if we open ourselves to it.

One recent experience happened when I was riding back home to the SF Bay area from a fuel economy competition in Ohio. I had ridden out with another fuel economy competitor but we rode home different ways after the competition ( I finished 2nd overall and had the best gasoline bike performance!) That summer ( 2012) in the Midwest and West the weather was very hot and humid. I was riding my streamliner which traps a lot of the engine heat which made it even worse. After days of exhausting travel I made it to Nevada and was riding on Hwy 50. I had stopped in the late afternoon for gas and checked with the residents to help me decide whether I would call it a day and stay the night there ( Fallon NV, I think ) or proceed on to one of the other small towns nearer the CA border. I was told there was lodging ahead about 2 more hours away. I decided to go for it. It was very hot and I was getting tired and thirsty fast. It seemed like I would never get to the next town. Finally I spotted a rest area and decided to pull over and take a break. There was no water or bathroom at the rest area, only some shade. As I approached the shade I saw some bike trailers and a young couple sitting at a bench. I said "Hi" and noticing that there were not any bicycles nearby, asked where their bikes were. They told me they were walking across the USA as a part of their religious mission to spread the Gospel. They were carrying all their supplies and gear in the trailers and camping out along the way. They even had their small dog with them. I was shocked and fascinated. They gave me some water as they assured me they had plenty. I visited with them for about an hour. Their love of God, for each other and their kindness to me touched me deeply. They told me they would pray for my safe journey home. I got their email address, thanked them and continued onto the next town which they told me was another 20 miles on the road. I came into that rest area homesick, tired and feeling sorry for myself. I left feeling happy, inspired, rejuvenated, uplifted and touched by that spirtual world. Refreshed, I made it home the next day. It was an experience I will always treasure.
Merry Xmas and Happy Holidys

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Nice story Greenaero. Thanks for reading and posting back. I have found over the years that hard times often bring you closer to God. Sounds like you had a great experience.

I've never heard of a fuel economy competition, but that's pretty cool. I shall have to Google that.

Old December 19th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks brother! I compete in the Vetter Challenge , lots of info on Craig Vetter's website ( www.craigvetter.com ) about the Challenge, streamlining , etc.

Old December 19th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #5
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks brother! I compete in the Vetter Challenge , lots of info on Craig Vetter's website ( www.craigvetter.com ) about the Challenge, streamlining , etc.

Old December 20th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Is this you in this article?

http://www.ridermagazine.com/latest-...r-fairing.htm/

Old December 20th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This one is Vic.

If you ever have a chance to meet up with the streamlining crew and chat for a bit, do it! It's a cool opportunity to see another side of motorcycling.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #8
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Nice! I love the tech and science of stuff like this. Homegrown garage engineering is really what keeps America innovative.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 20th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #9
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Wow, thanks for finding this article on the Vetter Challege! It's great to see it covered in a major motorcycle magazine like Rider.
I have since replaced the coroplast skinned nose with a Vetter fiberglass one. It is a huge improvement allowing even better fuel economy ( now 146 mpg from 136 mpg) , much more cornering clearance, better cooling airflow , much stronger and stiffer and looks much better.

Old December 20th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #10
kaosbandit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Wow, thanks for finding this article on the Vetter Challege! It's great to see it covered in a major motorcycle magazine like Rider.
I have since replaced the coroplast skinned nose with a Vetter fiberglass one. It is a huge improvement allowing even better fuel economy ( now 146 mpg from 136 mpg) , much more cornering clearance, better cooling airflow , much stronger and stiffer and looks much better.
I would like to hear how you are getting that kind of milage. It can't be all the fairing. What kind of technologies are you working with?

Old December 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #11
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

The streamlining provides the majority of the improvements. I also install taller gearing so I can reduce the cruising rpms ( stock is 14/45, I run 15/33, 5900 rpms @ 70 mph ). I run higher tire pressures to reduce rolling resistance ( ~42 psi ). I keep the moto well mintained and run 5-30w motor oil. Another big part is riding techniques: moderate acceleration to target speed then maintain with minimal throttle opening, look far ahead to anticipate and avoid stops, avoid braking as much as is possible, always using your momentum to the max.
My friend and fellow Challenger Alan Smith has modified a pre-gen Ninjette's valve timing to improve low and mid-rnge torque. It seems to work pretty well so I will probably try something similar.