Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Extreme heat

I tried searching for a related topic, but "heat" is too common a word.

Jiggles posted this on their trip across the desert:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I learned something today, two things actually. Nevada is hell, where else can you be boiling in the sun AND see snow but have no access to it? That's right, Hell. And number two, after riding today in 95 degree heat for a few hours in all black leather gear I have this to say about people who say its too hot to wear gear. You are all a bunch of pansies..
And with the extreme heat wave about to swallow the western US, I thought I would share the tweet I received today.

Long-Distance Riding in Hot Weather

stay cool, drink lots of water, and ride safe everyone.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup. It's almost certain that at least part of Leg 2 or Leg 3 of the IBR will take me through the Southwest in this heat next week. Should be fun! (and warm).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup. It's almost certain that at least part of Leg 2 or Leg 3 of the IBR will take me through the Southwest in this heat next week. Should be fun! (and warm).
Make sure to get like 40% gatorade/60% water for ur liquid supply

NEED DEM ELECTROLYTES

To stay on topic though, ive noticed when my bike sits under the sun for quite some time, it often doesnt want to start. In order to get it to start, i gotta use full choke and roll/hold the throttle until it gets goin, kinda annoying. Not sure why its happening.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I was talking to some racers who were commenting they always got a headache after drinking a mix of gatorade and water all day. One started drinking the coconut water and he said his headaches stopped.

I was thinking my Trackdays ended with a headache because I wasn't drinking enough (despite chugging both gatorade and water down all day) now I wonder if there is something to his theory.

Old June 28th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Guessing at the IBR reputation, you'll hit Death Valley. Be careful through there.

Old June 28th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Nice read, thanks for sharing. I'm almost thinking about getting a hydration pack for myself when I ride because the heat here is nuts during the summer and I typically wear my full gear (leather & mesh combo). I'm also looking into an undersuit and or cooling vest that will take some of that away, or getting textile gear, but I kind of want all my protection too, so not sure which way I'll go with all of that quite yet. Anyways, it's suppose to be 114 this weekend... ugh. I will be in the pool, forget about riding.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
we go to chuckwalla alot which regularly runs in the hundreds. dump the water on your head while you drink it. keeping yourself cool means you dont need to sweat as much. you need electrolytes in order to properly maintain your levels

from the wikipedia:
Quote:
Electrolyte solutions are normally formed when a salt is placed into a solvent such as water and the individual components dissociate due to the thermodynamic interactions between solvent and solute molecules, in a process called solvation. For example, when table salt, NaCl, is placed in water, the salt (a solid) dissolves into its component ions, according to the dissociation reaction

---

Rehydration
In oral rehydration therapy, electrolyte drinks containing sodium and potassium salts replenish the body's water and electrolyte levels after dehydration caused by exercise, excessive alcohol consumption, diaphoresis, diarrhea, vomiting, intoxication or starvation. Athletes exercising in extreme conditions (for three or more hours continuously e.g. marathon or triathlon) who do not consume electrolytes risk dehydration (or hyponatremia).[1]

---

A simple electrolyte drink can be home-made by using the correct proportions of water, sugar, salt, salt substitute for potassium, and baking soda.[2]
spamming fluids like you have to do with that kind of heat means you get low on other important **** like magnesium and potassium and **** which makes you get muscle cramps. so take lots of vitamins and eat bananas too

state change vests are your friend.

Old June 28th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
we go to chuckwalla alot which regularly runs in the hundreds. dump the water on your head while you drink it. keeping yourself cool means you dont need to sweat as much. you need electrolytes in order to properly maintain your levels

from the wikipedia:

spamming fluids like you have to do with that kind of heat means you get low on other important **** like magnesium and potassium and **** which makes you get muscle cramps. so take lots of vitamins and eat bananas too

state change vests are your friend.
I thought state change vests took quite a while to recharge.

I'd do a wet vest, coupled with a bottle of water and a contraption for pumping the water onto the vest on the go.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i've only used the state vests on roads but at the track i just empty a water bottle into the neck of my leathers and down the back side... you are already drenched in sweat so it just cools you down

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Link to original page on YouTube.

So long as you're eating a well balanced diet, water is all you need to stay hydrated.

EDIT:

When it's hot here, we use these a lot, i'd be tempted to keep a whole bunch in the freezer, jam one in your jacket's cigarette pocket, one in each trouser pocket, one in your back protector pocket and one on the back of your neck to cool your hypothalamus.

Bonus cool story, in Australia they keep water in tightly woven canvas bags, they allow water to permiate the bag, but not to the point of dripping, this means the water evaporates from the outside leading to a very small loss in water, but the energy taken to evaporate the water cools the whole bag down considerably so you always have cool water "like we do when we perspire". My point being, maybe you can wrap yourself in heavy material and have a constant water drip from a ater pack somewhere to keep you cool.

Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

In my paintball referee days working 10-14 hours in 100+ degree weather, the golden ratio told to me was 1 cup of gatorade to 7 cups water. I do remember drinking a high proportion of gatorade at one event and coming as close to getting heat stroke as you can. I had to drench my head with water and sit out several games in order to keep from passing out. I've watched/helped the medics remove more than one ref from work due to heat exhaustion or passing out. I'm no chemist though, that was just my experience.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #12
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I was talking to some racers who were commenting they always got a headache after drinking a mix of gatorade and water all day. One started drinking the coconut water and he said his headaches stopped.

I was thinking my Trackdays ended with a headache because I wasn't drinking enough (despite chugging both gatorade and water down all day) now I wonder if there is something to his theory.
Pedialyte FTW!!!

I think part of the headache is the sugar and sport drinks dont have enough of the electrolytes we lose when doing hot trackdays.

Pedialye is only 100 calories per serving, has a lot less sugar than sportdrinks and a lot more electrolytes than sports drinks.

It can get costly buying a lot, so a good backup is using Mio Fit (just came out).
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #13
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Quote:
Thanks for posting that!

I've mentioned to people about not wearing a mesh suit in extremely hot weather, and how "wind chill" doesn't work above about 93 mph, and actually heats a person, but I usually get the wall-eyed "NO, that isn't right" response. Most of the older more serious riders who aren't into "as little gear as possible" crowd seem to understand it though.

At a certain point you just have to shrug. You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think.
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
@alex.s - Noob question, what's a state change vest? Is it similar to cooling vests, any difference?

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
@alex.s - Noob question, what's a state change vest? Is it similar to cooling vests, any difference?
Think vests filled with the blue ice material (or similar) that you put in soda coolers.

Old June 28th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Think vests filled with the blue ice material (or similar) that you put in soda coolers.
Ah, thanks. Where do you get stuff like that, or what is a reputable brand/company?

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #17
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidrider View Post
Thanks for posting that!

I've mentioned to people about not wearing a mesh suit in extremely hot weather, and how "wind chill" doesn't work above about 93 mph, and actually heats a person, but I usually get the wall-eyed "NO, that isn't right" response. Most of the older more serious riders who aren't into "as little gear as possible" crowd seem to understand it though.

At a certain point you just have to shrug. You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think.
Yeah, but the mesh jacket and a wet vest keeps working at significantly higher temperatures.

When I'm riding in the heat, since I don't have any sort of cooling vest, is just wear the mesh jacket, and keep tucked down, and when I get sweaty enough I pop up to cool down, soon as I dry out I tuck back down.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #18
Lychee
sail away

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Ah, thanks. Where do you get stuff like that, or what is a reputable brand/company?
I think it is usually advertised as a "phase change" vest instead of "state change." Try on google.

Old June 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Today in Idaho it was 100 degree weather and I stand by my statement. What I've been doing is just stopping every hour and chugging a water. I'll tuck in on the freeway which makes me sweat then I do the captain Morgan for optimal air flow, it almost gets too cold so I just cycle doing that. Brian has a fancy pants cooling vest along with white/lighter textile gear. I don't regret my black leather gear.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #20
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:

As someone who was in the military for many years, I've seen my share of heat related conditions. Proper hydration was always stressed, but a lot of times people did not know how to properly hydrate. There is a balance that needs to take place before, during and after an extreme heat activity.

Some say that the balance of electrolytes in coconut water is nearly the same as that in the human blood. In fact it is so close, that coconut water is the only natural non-blood substance that can be safely injected into the human bloodstream in a dire emergency situation. Although not the ideal IV fluid it does have high levels of potassium in which the body needs, especially during times when heat exhaustion, heat cramps and heat stroke can occur.

One of the symptoms of low potassium is headaches. Along with adequate amounts of water, gatorade, and coconut water (taken orally), try eating citrus fruits and bananas, they have good amounts of potassium as well. They can also help stave off those headaches due to heat exhaustion and low potassium. Ever wonder why after little league baseball, football or soccer games they give the kids water, gatorade and oranges?

Another thing you can do is keep your neck as cool as possible. Because the neck has a large amount of blood running through it, keeping it cool also helps cool the head and brain and reduce the potential for swelling.

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; June 29th, 2013 at 05:05 AM.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #21
voidrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Another thing you can do is keep your neck as cool as possible. Because the neck has a large amount of blood running through it, keeping it cool also helps cool the head and brain and reduce the potential for swelling.
Ifs its "hot" but not miserably hot, I have found nice relief using a Cooldanna. Its like a strap you drape over your shoulders and around the back of your neck. You soak it for about 10 minutes and "crystals" sewn inside swell up and turn into a water holding gel. The gel is similar to the stuff you can put in the pots for potted plants to help keep the soil moist. The gel holds moisture longer than just the fabric would, but keeps the fabric moist to allow for evaporative cooling.

It doesn't "cool you off" like a wet shirt or a cooling vest, but it sure helps, and they are only about $10.

I am hoping that someday "coolsuits" will be as available as stuff like the Gerbings heated gear.

Oh, and looking around, the Veskimo system does exist...hahaha!

Last futzed with by voidrider; June 28th, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling / added comment
voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #22
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Anyone tried or heard about Columbia Omnifreeze Zero? I couldn't find many reviews.
http://www.columbia.com/on/demandwar...ni-Freeze_Zero

I already have some Under Armor/Nike DriFit but if this actually lowers the skin temp, I'll give it a shot. 110 in the forecast
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #23
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Gatorade has a fair amount of Sugar and Sodium. Id tour gonna do it go with the G2 and mix 50/50 with water. Many of my friends did this and it worked foe them but I have always used Cytomax for the past 16 years. I had an Mx race get up to 112 degrees and had 5 hours between motos and I never got dehydrated or headaches.

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #24
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

Gatorade has a fair amount of Sugar and Sodium. If your gonna do it go with the G2 and mix 50/50 with water. Many of my friends did this and it worked foe them but I have always used Cytomax for the past 16 years. I had an Mx race get up to 112 degrees and had 5 hours between motos and I never got dehydrated or headaches.

Old May 16th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #25
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Since the heat is beginning to roll in early this year, bumping for those who will be facing the mid/high 90's at a minimum.

Old May 16th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #26
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Coconut water is a must. Gatorade is ok, but some of the chemicals in it are kinda bad for you.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #27
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Saw this, thought I would add to this thread:

10 Hot Weather Riding Myths - BUSTED

Myth #1: When it's really hot it's too uncomfortable to ride

Initially this myth holds some truth. If you're not up to speed on ways to cool your body down, you may be thinking that there is reality to this. Especially if you're one of those people whose on-board thermostat (the thyroid) just does not do well in the hot sun. But as you read on you may learn a tip or two that will actually make hot summer riding fun for you.

Myth #2: Mesh gear will keep you cooler

To a degree, or should we say a few degrees, mesh gear will provide some relief from the heat. Up into the 80s for most people. But keep in mind that your thyroid is attempting to regulate your body temperature at 98.6 degrees. Riding into a wall of 90 degree plus air won't provide any cool options with which your thyroid can work with. At about 90 degrees or higher you'll need some skin surface moisture and some air. Lots of air and no skin surface moisture is a recipe for dehydration and sun stroke. But as you ride with mesh gear on your body, the air is quickly wicking away any moisture coming to the surface of the skin which will leave you dry and hot. Read on.

Myth #3: When it's really hot strip down to shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt

You see it all the time, but this is a faster route to dehydration and sun stroke than number two, not to mention sun damage to your skin which you may have to deal with later in life at the skin cancer center. Keep as much of your skin covered when you ride to reduce sun damage and road rash and help stay cool. Some may ask - "How can that be?" Keep reading.

Myth #4: Full textile and leather gear is too hot on hot days

Well-built textile and leather gear with good venting provides the right amount of airflow to pass over your perspiring skin and offers some natural evaporative cooling. Moisture is released through the surface of your skin and transfers excess heat away via the airflow. That's the way mother nature built the human body. With full coverage gear, you won't wick all that moisture away like you would in shorts, a t-shirt or mesh gear. But there's another way to increase your evaporative cooling ability which we will discuss in #6.

Myth #5: Textile over-pants were made to be worn over - PANTS

Most riders that wear textile over-pants do so with a pair of pants underneath. The stuffy pair of blue jeans or otherwise can make wearing over-pants a little uncomfortable and provide too much insulation at a time when you don't want it. To remedy this, simply wear nothing but a pair of wicking skins and over-the-calf socks and notice how much more mobility you have and how much better you feel when the heat comes on.

SR! Recommends: Andiamo! Skins & Silver 3 Season Sokz

Myth #6: A wet neck tie does wonders to cool me down

The hottest part of your body is your core. From there, main arteries head for your arms, legs and brain. Wearing a cool tie or otherwise only partially cools down the arteries going to your brain. If your core is overheated, then the blood moving to all your extremities is overheated. You need relief at the core, not the neck. An evaporative cooling vest with a nominal amount of airflow will assist your thyroid and body with keeping your blood at a far more acceptable temperature than a wet neck tie. Your whole body will love you for it.

SR! Recommends: Techniche Evaporative Cooling Vests

Myth #7: You can never drink enough water

While it's true you need to keep water intake steady throughout the day, it is indeed possible to drink too much. If every time you pee, your urine is clear like water, you may have peed out all your electrolytes and you're now on the verge of the same symptoms as sun stroke bundled with organ damage. Keep the water flowing throughout the day in reasonable amounts, but refrain from drinking a few liters of water every hour.

SR! Recommends: BPA Free Camelback Better Bottles

Myth #8: A baseball cap is all I need on my head when I take off my helmet

Imagine you're riding through Death Valley. It's 116 degrees and you get a flat tire. You have the tools on board to fix it but it's going to take 20-30 minutes to do so. With just a baseball cap you still have your ears and neck exposed to the sun. They look a little fogey-like but it's best to carry a full brimmed hat that was designed to be worn in hot sun.

SR! Recommends: Outdoor Research Halcyon Sombrero

Myth #9: Gatorade and energy drinks provide the proper hydration and electrolytes my body needs to ride in the hot sun. The sport drink commercials said so.

Gatorade and energy drinks are loaded with sugar and caffeine, which is essentially an oxymoronic recipe that backfires when it comes to hydration since these two ingredients promote dehydration. If you're looking to increase your intake of electrolytes, use an electrolyte additive and mix it with your water, juice, diet soda or any other beverage you like.

SR! Recommends: Elete Electrolyte add-in

Myth #10: I can't use sunscreen when I ride because it burns my eyes

There are various types of sunscreen on the market today. Many utilize all sorts of chemicals to block the sun's UV rays and keep the product affixed to your skin. And amidst all this chemistry lie certain ingredients that burn the eyes if they get in there via sweating or just using your finger to try and clear your eye of dirt. Look for sunscreens that have few ingredients yet yield a high SPF rating and then test a few out.

SR! Recommends: Sierra Summits SPF 40 Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide

Source: Sound Rider!

Old June 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #28
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #29
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

"Originally Posted by Jiggles
And number two, after riding today in 95 degree heat for a few hours in all black leather gear I have this to say about people who say its too hot to wear gear. You are all a bunch of pansies.."

Try riding in traffic in central Florida.. Stop and go and 2-3 minute red light times. Too hot for full gear, trust me. Riding non stop on the freeway is a different story. Apples and oranges.
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #30
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Great topic and lots of good info + really entertaining
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #31
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Caught this thread the first day I posted here, gave it a good read over and wound up reading a whole lot more on the topic. On one hand it seems to fly in the face of "common sense" but when you get down to brass tacks on the matter, science always wins out over "common sense". Always.

Well, decided to finally give it a try and swapped out the "cool" mesh for my trusty leather jacket for a jaunt back and forth across town when the thermometer was tickling at 110 here in Phoenix. I decided to base my results on a trio of totally legitimate, scientifically accurate criteria : how much I sweat, how hot I felt, and how much I felt beat down after the ride.

My wife thought I was nuts for trying and I was still somehow surprised after all I had read, but when I was done, my super-scientific results confirmed the theory. I didn't just feel more comfortable, I felt significantly more comfortable during the ride. I didn't feel quite as sweaty/nasty, and I actually only felt like I'd been riding through an oven set to "bake" rather than "broil". It was downright cozy by comparison.

Mesh jacket has gone back into storage until the heat heads home to Hades later this year. I'm sure I get stares riding around town with a full leather jacket on, but it's those poor fools in tank tops and cutoff shorts dealing with the full-body inferno blast that I'm shaking my head over.
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #32
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I don't know how you guys in Phoenix (Apparently the face of the sun) actually ride when it's 110 out at all, leather or mesh or anything.

You sir are a dedicated rider and I tip my hat to you.

I just got an evaporative cooling vest for my textile jacket that definitely helps. I haven't past the 100° mark yet here but I'm pretty sure it will take the edge off for the hour long commute.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #33
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Talking Flaw'da

Downtown ANYWHERE in Flaw'da in summer is horrible. It's 100 degrees air temp. The pavement is 140 degrees, and the humidity is 80%.

I wear evaporative gear, but that only helps when you are moving. Sitting at one of those interminable traffic lights, you steam cook. The cooling fan kicks in and the seat roasts your backside.

If I have to go downtown in the summer, I take my scooter. No engine heat to bother with.

On pleasure rides, I avoid metro areas like the plague, start early, plan a lunch stop where the ac works well, and home before the afternoon t/storms set in.

Old June 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #34
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

I love the dry heat of Az, but I think I'd die in FL. I lived in the Midwest for (way too long), and the summers there were much more like FL.

Last time I was riding through PHX (going from Tucson to Prescott and back), the thermometer on the bike was reading an air temp of 111F. As long as I was moving, it wasn't bad at all. I had a big windscreen on that bike, so the mesh (with an undershirt soaked in water) did just fine. I soaked my shirt when I left Prescott. It was dry about midway through PHX, so I pulled over at the next rest stop, and wet myself down again. Was good all the way to Tucson.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #35
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Great posts! Thanks for the detailed contributions on overheating relief.
2 summers ago I rode my streamliner from the SF Bay area to Ohio for the Vetter Challenge with my buddy and fellow competitor Alan Smith. It was a hotter than normal summer and we encountered temperatures as high as 115* F. ( in Nevada 0f course) and virtually everyday was in the 100's. To help combat the heat we always tried to get an early start in the morning before it got heated up. Since we could both go over 400 miles per tankfill we made sure to stop every 100-150 miles to rest and rehydrate. We wore full gear , I did remove the liners from my textile gear and wore cycling shorts under my textile pants. After enough riding you do become more acclimated to the heat. If you're riding through a lot of wilderness be sure to bring some water with you.
That which does not destroy just makes us stronger

Old June 17th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #36
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

All kinds of goodies for hot weather.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #37
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by shereth View Post
thermometer was tickling at 110 here in Phoenix. I decided to base my results on a trio of totally legitimate, scientifically accurate criteria : how much I sweat, how hot I felt, and how much I felt beat down after the ride.I actually only felt like I'd been riding through an oven set to "bake" rather than "broil". It was downright cozy by comparison.
I'm sure I get stares riding around town with a full leather jacket on, but it's those poor fools in tank tops and cutoff shorts dealing with the full-body inferno blast that I'm shaking my head over.

???
You feel better wearing full leather because the temp is higher than body temp?

I wear my mesh while ridding in 90s and it is way better than leather…. so I probably am better off because I am getting blasted by slightly cooler air rather than hotter air?

Explain the Scientific part of your methods lol
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #38
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
???
You feel better wearing full leather because the temp is higher than body temp?

I wear my mesh while ridding in 90s and it is way better than leather…. so I probably am better off because I am getting blasted by slightly cooler air rather than hotter air?

Explain the Scientific part of your methods lol
Short version : Pretty much what you said. Anything over mid-90s or so and you're being blasted by air that's hotter than you are. You want enough breathability for evaporative cooling to work, but not so much you're getting heat blasted.

Long version : Read the link in the OP for a full-blown scientific explanation. Has all kinds of fancy diagrams and formulae on how many watts you are absorbing and so on. Not exactly casual reading but if you're looking for scientific, give it a read
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 08:37 AM   #39
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Due to the drought and extreme record breaking temps we're getting out west, time to bump this again.

Stay safe everyone!

Old April 21st, 2015, 08:51 AM   #40
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Why not start with white leathers instead of black? Or high-vis yellow?

Also, water alone is absolutely not sufficient for hydration - you are losing a lot of minerals with sweat. I worked at a metallurgical plant in my misspent youth, the guys who work by the melting metal drink carbonated water with a dash of sea salt, that's the only thing that kept them alive.