ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Farkles

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

Brand of this hugger?

Anyone know the brand of this hugger or perhaps one close to it?

I want a nice hugger with more coverage than stock like this one pictured
I am not interested in any that are double sided stick taped to the existing hugger
nor the fake beefy swingarm look

Thanks for any info
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imag1788.jpg (108.1 KB, 125 views)
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

This isn't it, but the Hotbodies one is very close. Sleek, no extra huge chain guard attached.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #4
mania
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley813 View Post
This isn't it, but the Hotbodies one is very close. Sleek, no extra huge chain guard attached.
Yes I had seen that one & it looks pretty good albeit no chain guard
Ermax looks pretty good too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-27 12.34.24.jpg (126.2 KB, 10 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Anyone know the brand of this hugger or perhaps one close to it?

I want a nice hugger with more coverage than stock like this one pictured
I am not interested in any that are double sided stick taped to the existing hugger
nor the fake beefy swingarm look

Thanks for any info
This is nice, bulk free and tasteful. Really nice.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #6
mania
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
This is nice, bulk free and tasteful. Really nice.
Yes agreed & that is what I liked about it.
Bulk free a nice coverage of tire & a nice idea over the chain.

I think I may have found it & will see when I get back.
On vacation for a couple weeks now.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:21 AM   #7
mania
ninjette.org member

Heheh got one !

Excellent quality
Would have it installed already but seller forgot the L bracket for the right side & is sending it tomorrow
Don't mind the white splash on my pic it is just a flash from camera
The fender is gloss black & the chain guard matte black
Looks like he also has kwacker green, matte black & white

Will post a pic when I have it on
Till then here is a couple of uninstalled & some on his bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-22 13.41.06.jpg (85.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-22 13.41.21.jpg (75.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (98.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (34.0 KB, 11 views)

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:24 AM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I just ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/141109873523, about $65 + $20 shipping. It's for a 250, but my understanding is that the 300 just has an extra hole in the swingarm, so a 250 hugger should work ok.

There are a couple more big pics on the eBay page too.

I like that it sits on the swingarm on all four corners, has a nicely defined line for the fender (for paint-matching to the body), and includes a chainguard. I don't like that the front mount uses the side of the swingarm rather than the front chainguard tab, and I wouldn't argue with the fender extending down a bit further in the front to protect the bottom of the shock better.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #9
mania
ninjette.org member

Installed today
Really like the looks & fit.
Adds to the bikes looks & shock protection without being too much/bulky IMHO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-28 11.38.24.jpg (69.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-28 11.37.48.jpg (81.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-28 11.38.31.jpg (82.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-04-28 11.38.38.jpg (81.1 KB, 3 views)

Old April 27th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #10
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I just ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/141109873523, about $65 + $20 shipping. It's for a 250, but my understanding is that the 300 just has an extra hole in the swingarm, so a 250 hugger should work ok.

There are a couple more big pics on the eBay page too.

I like that it sits on the swingarm on all four corners, has a nicely defined line for the fender (for paint-matching to the body), and includes a chainguard. I don't like that the front mount uses the side of the swingarm rather than the front chainguard tab, and I wouldn't argue with the fender extending down a bit further in the front to protect the bottom of the shock better.
We had a group-buy for that a couple years ago. It's for a Yamaha that is not in the USA market. One of our members from I think Bali picked them up and shipped them to a US member, who in-turn shipped them out to the rest of us. I'm glad you got yours on so easily. I had to do a ton of modification to mine, but everyone fit theirs a little differently. I wouldn't have done it again. But then again, I think we paid $50 just for shipping alone.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #11
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
We had a group-buy for that a couple years ago. It's for a Yamaha that is not in the USA market. One of our members from I think Bali picked them up and shipped them to a US member, who in-turn shipped them out to the rest of us. I'm glad you got yours on so easily. I had to do a ton of modification to mine, but everyone fit theirs a little differently. I wouldn't have done it again. But then again, I think we paid $50 just for shipping alone.
Hmmm. It was advertised as a 250 part and the pics show it fitting quite well. The description says that someone stated it could work on a 300 with minor mods, but the listing implies that it should Just Work™ on a 250. UPS tracking says it's waiting for me at home, so I can get an idea of how well it'll work tonight.

I'm picky about things, and this one seemed to meet most of my requirements for a decent price. I've got enough of a project with the other parts, so if it's not a direct bolt-on, I'd go so far as to consider returning it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you list a part as fitting a specific bike and show pics of it fitting nicely on that model, then that's what I'm expecting to receive.

Old April 28th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #12
headshrink

Quote:
Hmmm. It was advertised as a 250 part and the pics show it fitting quite well. The description says that someone stated it could work on a 300 with minor mods, but the listing implies that it should Just Work™ on a 250. UPS tracking says it's waiting for me at home, so I can get an idea of how well it'll work tonight.

I'm picky about things, and this one seemed to meet most of my requirements for a decent price. I've got enough of a project with the other parts, so if it's not a direct bolt-on, I'd go so far as to consider returning it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if you list a part as fitting a specific bike and show pics of it fitting nicely on that model, then that's what I'm expecting to receive.
I'm with you on that; the listing was a bit sketchy. I'm at work at the moment, but if you do a search for the old thread you'll see some pics of a couple different approaches. I either did a DIY, or included my pics in that thread.... don't remember.

Old April 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM   #13
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Yup, this is the Yamaha Byson hugger (http://bennythegreat.wordpress.com/2...-di-ninja-250/). Included in the box were several printed-out pages with pictures and templates of how to hack it up to make it fit. If I wanted to spend time chopping up some other bike's fender to make it mostly-fit, I'd get a CBR250 hugger for $20. I saw that thread before, but I didn't connect the Byson in it to this eBay hugger.

Do you guys think I'm being excessively jerkish for expecting this item to just fit and wanting a refund since it doesn't?

Old April 28th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #14
headshrink

Quote:
Yup, this is the Yamaha Byson hugger (http://bennythegreat.wordpress.com/2...-di-ninja-250/). Included in the box were several printed-out pages with pictures and templates of how to hack it up to make it fit. If I wanted to spend time chopping up some other bike's fender to make it mostly-fit, I'd get a CBR250 hugger for $20. I saw that thread before, but I didn't connect the Byson in it to this eBay hugger.

Do you guys think I'm being excessively jerkish for expecting this item to just fit and wanting a refund since it doesn't?
I don't think you're being jerkish at all. Although an argument could be made that their was sort of disclosure, it would be based on merely a technicality, because the tone of the article seemed to intentionally downplay the modifications required. It's cool that they included the templates, but it also proves your point. Do to it's low price, I'd personally keep it, but I wouldn't be happy about it. If you want to return it, go for it.

The link you included showed what's probably one of the easiest mods., but I have one question.... what does "tampak" mean? It kept saying that in the picture captions, and all I can think about is bloody cotton & rayon. I'm sincerely sorry for that, but also curious.

Old April 28th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #15
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
I don't think you're being jerkish at all. Although an argument could be made that their was sort of disclosure, it would be based on merely a technicality, because the tone of the article seemed to intentionally downplay the modifications required. It's cool that they included the templates, but it also proves your point. Do to it's low price, I'd personally keep it, but I wouldn't be happy about it. If you want to return it, go for it.
The auction says the seller doesn't accept returns, but it's covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. I'm going to send a message and see what they're willing to do.

Overall, I do like this. It's just got the right lines and general shape. However, it doesn't actually line up with ends of the swingarm without stretching it apart, and I don't know if I have the skills to cut it nicely enough to meet my expectations. I think the Skidmarx could look good on my 500, but I prefer the distinct lines rather than the curves blending everything together.

I think I have a cheaper, easier solution that's good enough for me, but I want to see how this works out before I buy anything else.

Quote:
The link you included showed what's probably one of the easiest mods., but I have one question.... what does "tampak" mean? It kept saying that in the picture captions, and all I can think about is bloody cotton & rayon. I'm sincerely sorry for that, but also curious.
According to Google Translate, it appears to be "look".
tampak kiri, swing arm jadi makin kekar.. --> look left, swing arm so more muscular ..
mud guard tampak atas --> mud guard looks over

Old April 29th, 2014, 06:33 PM   #16
mania
ninjette.org member

Quote:
A bit considering the sale specified what it fit & showed pictures which showed it did not fit as sold & needed modding.......

Not to mention his application on that sale ad specifically stated
"This part is not compatible with 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300."

He does mention "some guy said" but reiterates he has not verified it works.
I say suck it up & make it work or eat the loss IMHO

Old April 29th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #17
headshrink

I didn't see that detail, so know that when considering my feedback. I thought it was technically legit, with a spirit of deception, but that was just my initial impression without looking closer. At least it wasn't as bad as THIS woman!

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #18
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
eBay Byson hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
A bit considering the sale specified what it fit & showed pictures which showed it did not fit as sold & needed modding....... ;)

Not to mention his application on that sale ad specifically stated
"This part is not compatible with 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300."

He does mention "some guy said" but reiterates he has not verified it works.
I say suck it up & make it work or eat the loss IMHO
Sorry, this is a bit confusing since I posted in a thread in the 300 section. I bought this for a 250 swingarm, not a 300. Since it said it fit a 250, and could/should fit a 300 with slight modding, I assumed that it would be a direct fit on a 250. What I received is a factory-original Yamaha Byson hugger and several pages of instructions similar to https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91386 on how to make it fit the 250. It's not pre-modded to fit the 250 or anything, just the untouched Yamaha part and some instructions. To make it fit on a 300, you're completely on your own.

Simply adding a sentence "This item requires some trimming/modding to fit the listed bikes." to the description would've let me know that it wasn't what I was looking for (a direct-fit, professionally-finished piece), and I would've skipped it. I feel that he deliberately doesn't mention that it needs mods to fit the listed bikes, despite including detailed instructions on how to do those mods and mentioning in the ad that it could fit the 300 with some minor mods, to avoid scaring away potential buyers. I think it's being a bit deceptive (though not technically lying about anything), and then hoping the buyer will do like headshrink said and just keep it even though they're not completely happy about it.

I originally posted it in this thread because I like the overall look of this hugger, and the 250 and 300 swingarms are similar (the 300 has a couple extra mounting holes for the OEM chainguard/hugger and an extra brake hose guide), so it should also fit on a 300 without too much work. My eBay issue is getting a bit off-topic (I will be receiving a full refund once I ship it back), but I wanted anyone who considered it after seeing my link to be aware of exactly what it was.

Quote:
I didn't see that detail, so know that when considering my feedback. I thought it was technically legit, with a spirit of deception, but that was just my initial impression without looking closer. At least it wasn't as bad as THIS woman!
That reminds me of the people selling "PS3 NEW BOX!!!!" when they first came out and were impossible to find. The ad was careful to include only pics of the box and was worded so that it never actually said you'd be getting a PS3, but made it sound like it was for a brand new PS3 in the box, rather than just the box.

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #19
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Sorry, this is a bit confusing since I posted in a thread in the 300 section. I bought this for a 250 swingarm, not a 300. Since it said it fit a 250, and could/should fit a 300 with slight modding, I assumed that it would be a direct fit on a 250. What I received is a factory-original Yamaha Byson hugger and several pages of instructions similar to https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91386 on how to make it fit the 250. It's not pre-modded to fit the 250 or anything, just the untouched Yamaha part and some instructions. To make it fit on a 300, you're completely on your own.

Simply adding a sentence "This item requires some trimming/modding to fit the listed bikes." to the description would've let me know that it wasn't what I was looking for (a direct-fit, professionally-finished piece), and I would've skipped it. I feel that he deliberately doesn't mention that it needs mods to fit the listed bikes, despite including detailed instructions on how to do those mods and mentioning in the ad that it could fit the 300 with some minor mods, to avoid scaring away potential buyers. I think it's being a bit deceptive (though not technically lying about anything), and then hoping the buyer will do like headshrink said and just keep it even though they're not completely happy about it.

I originally posted it in this thread because I like the overall look of this hugger, and the 250 and 300 swingarms are similar (the 300 has a couple extra mounting holes for the OEM chainguard/hugger and an extra brake hose guide), so it should also fit on a 300 without too much work. My eBay issue is getting a bit off-topic (I will be receiving a full refund once I ship it back), but I wanted anyone who considered it after seeing my link to be aware of exactly what it was.

That reminds me of the people selling "PS3 NEW BOX!!!!" when they first came out and were impossible to find. The ad was careful to include only pics of the box and was worded so that it never actually said you'd be getting a PS3, but made it sound like it was for a brand new PS3 in the box, rather than just the box.
Yep send it back. No part of the listing is it saying you need to cut the part to make it fit on a 250. Its also only listed as a 250 part not a universal or a 250/this other bike part.

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #20
mania
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry, this is a bit confusing since I posted in a thread in the 300 section. I bought this for a 250 swingarm, not a 300.

xxxxxxxx
I originally posted it in this thread because I like the overall look of this hugger, and the 250 and 300 swingarms are similar
Ah ok that makes a little more sense now
Yes I did wonder why you posted in this thread
Hope it all works out for you

I wish more manufacturers would make huggers like the one I posted.
It is hand laid fiberglass in a epoxy resin. Light & strong & would actually fit many ninja 250/300 applications due to its configuration relying mainly on the common two screws
Anything more you add with a L bracket as I did for the one on the right side.

Strong & light without all the BS many huggers add like fake swingarm beef etc.Also absolutely no reason for the bulk on the right non chain side as many huggers like the one you bought have IMO.

Old May 12th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
I saw that on eBay myself and noticed that it looked like the Byson hugger but also noticed that the pic showed it going all the way to the end of the swingarm where the confirmed Byson hugger install pics did not. I assumed that someone made a copy/reproduction with modifications for the 250/300 when I saw the pic. When I read that it was made by a major bike manufacturer I knew it had to be Yamaha, so now I'm just confused.

Quote:

I recall people doing the same when the XBOX/Gamecube launched. Numerous sellers were selling boxes, photos, printed pages, all listed in the wrong category, or course.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #22
headshrink

I hear you.... good eye, BTW.

Now that I'm on my second bike, I'm re-evaluating a lot of how I did mods on the old Ninjette. It was a lot of fun, but in the end I know I spent far more money trying to save a buck, and by forcing cheap things to work. There are exceptions, but there's no better teacher than experience. This hugger has been alright for me... I made it work. If I had to do it again I'd actually order the CBR250r hugger. It doesn't look as good IMO, but IIRC it's way cheaper considering the shipping we paid to import the Byson. I mean, as long as we're gonna have to modify it....
I haven't even crossed this bridge yet on the CBR500r.

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #23
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
It's a bit off-topic, but just as an update on my situation, I did get a complete refund of the purchase price plus shipping after I returned the Byson hugger. The guy went off on me a bit, saying that only one other person has ever said anything about having to mod it to make it fit, and I should never get race plastics because those require all sorts of work to fit, and if I don't install the hugger I'll ruin my shock quickly, and this is a such a good idea they used it for the 300.

I ended up buying a 300 chainguard/hugger to put on my 250 swingarm. Despite some crazy eBay prices, it's only $30 new. There's some interference where the little slot-tab sticks up from the swingarm for the 250 chainguard to slide into. I ended up just removing the slot-tab, but you could probably trim the chainguard a bit to make it clear. There are two 6mm screws that go through the hugger to hold it on the swingarm. One is just in front of the slot-tab and the other is on the right arm. From the pics I've seen, it looks like the front one is just a tapped hole and the one on the arm uses a riv-nut.

The 300 part isn't a real hugger like most people want, but it does provide some extra protection for the shock. My 500 has an undertail fender as well (as opposed to pretty undertail plastic), so I don't need a full hugger for actual fender purposes (though I do need to check for interference between the two). This option is pretty close to ideal for me - extra protection for my shock, with minimal mods, at minimal cost.

Quote:
Now that I'm on my second bike, I'm re-evaluating a lot of how I did mods on the old Ninjette. It was a lot of fun, but in the end I know I spent far more money trying to save a buck, and by forcing cheap things to work. There are exceptions, but there's no better teacher than experience. This hugger has been alright for me... I made it work. If I had to do it again I'd actually order the CBR250r hugger. It doesn't look as good IMO, but IIRC it's way cheaper considering the shipping we paid to import the Byson. I mean, as long as we're gonna have to modify it....
Yup. A lot of people waste a bunch of time and money on "cheap" solutions. I'm at a point in my life where I have a little extra money to spend, so I don't mind paying a bit more to get the right thing that Just Works™ without having to mess around with it for hours or keep buying additional bits & pieces to make the cheap way actually work. Sometimes you don't mind working up a solution from nothing, other times you just want to slap the new thing on and be done with it.

I had seen the thread about the Byson hugger in passing, but didn't recognize it in the eBay auction. I wrongly assumed the eBay listing was a bolt-on piece for the 250, slightly cheaper than other options because it was just plain plastic rather than paint-matched or carbon fiber. As I was specifically looking for not having to hack it up myself, the Byson is pretty much the opposite of what I wanted, despite liking the looks of it. For the price difference, I too would probably choose the CBR piece if I wanted to go that route.