ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:38 AM   #1
ccampbell
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Blue/Orange Ninja 250

Test rides when selling?

I'm starting to toy with the idea of selling my 2005. I'm just not riding much any more. I spend too much time riding bicycles.

How do you guys handle the test ride issue? I'm nervous about damage and theft from craigslist.

Thanks,

chris
ccampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:48 AM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Most put something like cash in hand if test riding or you could take their license.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 10:54 AM   #3
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Definitely cash in hand. No checks, no money orders, etc.; cash only. Someone who comes asking for a test ride without money to buy the bike probably isn't a serious buyer.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Cash in hand. Then take a picture of his/her license. I also have a little test ride contract that states that any damages incurred will be paid for by the test rider.

Then, I make a video of the bike with the potential buyer. A complete walk around showing what damages there are on the bike currently. I make sure to do a close up on the bar ends, the mirrors, the clutch & brake levers & the gear shifter to show there are no scratches and everything is aligned and straight.

By this time, the buyer is paranoid. And if they aren't really serious about the bike and their intentions were to go out on a joy ride, they normally decline the test ride at this point.

Yeah....I'm a hardass. But I sell my bikes at least $300 - $500 lower priced than most other people on CL because I just want to get rid of them quickly. So, I get a lot of people calling. I just want to entertain the serious ones only. I don't have time to deal with people showing up to look at the bike.

Another thing I do.....which is a douchebag move. The bike is already advertised at a lower priced than most other bikes on CL. As an example, other 2nd gen 250s go for around $3,000 in my area. I priced mine at $2,400. I will not negotiate over the phone or via email.

I got literally over 50 inquiries about the bike. I responded back to each and everyone of them saying that I am an extremely busy person and will only be available to show the bike on Sunday afternoon at 3pm. That gives everyone a 3-5 days of notice.

Guess what happened? I had over 7 buyers show up at 3pm for the bike. I say to them "well, whoever gives me $2,400 cash right now" takes it home. I ended up with $2,700. I didn't ask for it, but I'm not going to say no if they offer me more.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:35 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Cash in hand. Then take a picture of his/her license. I also have a little test ride contract that states that any damages incurred will be paid for by the test rider.

Then, I make a video of the bike with the potential buyer. A complete walk around showing what damages there are on the bike currently. I make sure to do a close up on the bar ends, the mirrors, the clutch & brake levers & the gear shifter to show there are no scratches and everything is aligned and straight.

By this time, the buyer is paranoid. And if they aren't really serious about the bike and their intentions were to go out on a joy ride, they normally decline the test ride at this point.

Yeah....I'm a hardass. But I sell my bikes at least $300 - $500 lower priced than most other people on CL because I just want to get rid of them quickly. So, I get a lot of people calling. I just want to entertain the serious ones only. I don't have time to deal with people showing up to look at the bike.

Another thing I do.....which is a douchebag move. The bike is already advertised at a lower priced than most other bikes on CL. As an example, other 2nd gen 250s go for around $3,000 in my area. I priced mine at $2,400. I will not negotiate over the phone or via email.

I got literally over 50 inquiries about the bike. I responded back to each and everyone of them saying that I am an extremely busy person and will only be available to show the bike on Sunday afternoon at 3pm. That gives everyone a 3-5 days of notice.

Guess what happened? I had over 7 buyers show up at 3pm for the bike. I say to them "well, whoever gives me $2,400 cash right now" takes it home. I ended up with $2,700. I didn't ask for it, but I'm not going to say no if they offer me more.
I typically start with a pipe dream sales price for 2 weeks or so, I will be somewhat flexible over the phone with that price, if i don't get much interest I will then drop it to a reasonable price and once that is up I don't negotiate over the phone, the person hasn't even seen or rode the bike yet, price is decent, what right do they have to ask for a lower sales price with out even looking at it? Typically means they are not that interested and or don't have that much money, window shoppers/tire kickers

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #6
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

I usually only ask for the price negotiation over the phone cause I want to see if there is any wiggle room, is the person going to be reasonable about the price or stern and not be willing to change it. I don't want to view an item if I know the seller is hardheaded, but I word it so it doesn't sound like I am only willing to pay up to so much."Are you negotiable on the price?" Simple easy way of putting it.

Spoiler for topic:

Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:11 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
there is a difference between asking if the price is firm and asking the seller to come down $1k over the phone without even looking.

The worst is the seller saying their is wiggle room then you drive way out there and then find out that their "flexible price" means if you offer me less ill kick you off my property

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM   #8
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
The worst is the seller saying their is wiggle room then you drive way out there and then find out that their "flexible price" means if you offer me less ill kick you off my property
That sounds like PA lol. All the dealing I have tried through craigslist has always been a pain. Get people that schedule for you to look at their item and then cancel on you, don't want the item gone good luck selling it to someone else.

Spoiler for topic:

Old April 24th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #9
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Having just bought my 250R in October, I went a little further with the seller than most would.. Not only did I check the bike out carefully, I had the seller show the bike to me by having him ride it to my house while I drove my truck.. This gave me insight into how it was ridden by the seller, and any potential issues I might need to look deeper into.. I was extremely lucky in that I paid a great price for my 250R, and that the seller took exceptional care of the bike..

NEVER let ANYONE test ride your bike without cash in hand.. If they don't have cash in hand, they aren't serious about buying the bike.. NEVER let ANYONE test ride without proof of ID.. If they don't have ID, no deal.. Take pictures, video, whatever you can think of to make sure YOU are covered if something goes wrong.. The pictures/video can also help if the buyer conveniently "forgets" to register the bike and something bad happens and you're name is still attached to it..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:58 AM   #10
ccampbell
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the good suggestions. I went into my first ever sale without really thinking about it and got really lucky. I posted a dual sport bike on CL and sold it within hours to a very nice older man. He paid full price in cash. It was smooth as silk. Now I'm paranoid for some reason.

Old April 24th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #11
ccampbell
ninjette.org member

I might try listing it here first just so I at least have an audience that is legitimately interested in this type of bike. Now, if I can just get my posts up to 25.

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #12
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccampbell View Post
I'm starting to toy with the idea of selling my 2005. I'm just not riding much any more. I spend too much time riding bicycles.

How do you guys handle the test ride issue? I'm nervous about damage and theft from craigslist.

Thanks,

chris
Cash in hand first and completing the paper work first minus signing over the title. That way if they dont agree, you can rip up the paper work and give back the cash. Otherwise, no dice on test ride. Heard and seen too many horror stories ranging from running off with the bike and not coming back to crashing the bike.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:46 AM   #13
ccampbell
ninjette.org member

Yeah. The first street bike I ever owned, I sold to a friend. He tried to sell it a year later and the first test rider never came back. He had a friend hiding in his car and they sped off together.

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #14
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

HAHAHA! +1 @cadd That's hilarious! Although I do admit that you seem like a hardass with your sales, but I honestly cannot blame you one bit! Next time I sell a bike on craigslist i'm going to have them fill out a contract for sure. Just something simple maybe a 1 paragraph thing.
I generally set the asking price for about $200 more than I want and i'll sit on it for a week or two and if I get no bites i'll drop it to $100 more than I want. I never have to drop it again, and i'm quite firm in negotiations, if someone drove over an hour to see me then I know they will not walk for a measly $100.

Old April 24th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
My 2¢ full cash price in hand, no exceptions!!!!!

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote