ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Sportisi BRT TIS review

Okay, tried to search a little bit but couldn't find the review thread so here is a new one. Sorry if it's a duplicate.

Anyways, I was one of the brave soul who signed up to test the new NON-PROGRAMMABLE BRT TIS from ztrack157. Sorry it took so long to give you guys feedback..but my job, I work like a mad man (out of town) for a week then a week off is where i can play with the bike a little if my freaking gf doesn't demand spending time with her. Anyways, here are my impression.

The unit look very well made. Doesn't have that rpm fluctuation like pos oem cdi. Since I just installed it yesterday, I have a full tank of 87 octane so I am on map #1 (conservative map).

I was able to make a few pulls today and seemed to be very responsive throttle wise compared to stock. I am currently running 112 main jet with 3rd clip on the needle (factorypro), yoshi slipon, bmc pod filters so it's alittle rich with stock CDI. However, with this unit, the advanced timing might burn a little more fuel so might helps a little bit? While cruising, i heard a few (very faint) backfire when letting off the gas (mine has the Kleenair system removed) so might even be a little lean now? This only happened when the bike is a little cold but after about 5 mins or so, I tried to replicate the backfire, I couldn't...who knows what's going on there.

Cruised up/down with full throttle in diff gear trying to listen for knock but absolutely cannot detect any...a good thing i supposed.

So anyhow, with this unit install, definately a plus as far as throttle response. The bike pulls a little better throughout rev range. Does it give any more hp? My dyno a$$ is quite INSENSITIVE to begin with..so even if it gives me 1 or 2 more hp, i prob can't tell. (mind you I have 2 bikes, and i switch back/forth riding)...a 07 600rr and 08 250r...so jumping from a 250 to a 600, I can tell hp increase... (30hp vs 110 hp)...other than that, another hp add to the 250 i probably can't tell jack.

The unit comes with a cool knob/switch where i mounted on the handle bar (OFF/ON). this switch is to change from one map to another. Off meaning on conservative map, and ON meaning map #2 which is tuned for 93 octane. Since I cruised the whole damn day and only get my full tank down to like 3/4...I didn't get a chance to fill her up with 93 octane to test...but I imagine there will be some difference with the advanced map & high octane gas. There is a manual that comes with the unit...all written in Indonesian so not much use...

okay, enough of the rampling....but all in all, I like the unit. it's well built, worked as advertised..no programming to fuss with..truely a plug & play. I esp like the idea of having 2 maps that can be switched back & forth as a flip of a switch....say if i hit a gas station with bad gas, i can flip to the conservative map and cruise home instead of blowing my bike up. The advanced timing does give better throttle response but may lean out the bike a little...although i can't confirm this until I put the bike on the dyno with some a/f ratio.

i wish my darn camera is working so I can snatch a few pics for you (battery dead, charger is at my work place out of town)...anyways, others who has this unit, please feel free to jump in with your feedback. Well, until next time (map#2)

many thanks to ztrack157 (matt) for supplying us this unit & answering our countless email inquiries

UPDATE: Map #2

So I swapped out Yoshi s/o for an Akra s/o. Love the akra for looks and sounds. It's def not as loud like the Yoshi. However, it is more restrictive than Yoshi so I feel like there is some loss of power (with map #1) with the Akra comparing to the Yoshi....but I can live with that since I don't like noise.

anyways, finally get a chance to fill the bike up with 93 octane and flipped a switch to map #2 (ON position).. Oh boy, it's On!!! The throttle is soooo responsive and the bike pull like mad with this map. I feel like I get all the lost power with Akra back and some more. So much fun to ride now. I was comtemplating to drill a hole in the slider to increase throttle responsiveness but now with this map, I don't think I need to anymore. definately recommend this unit..it's cheap and make a big difference (I am very insensitive to power gain but I can def. feel it on this one). I'm sold for this BRT and map #2...I'm not going back

Last futzed with by randomwalk101; November 11th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #2
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

never seen beofre dont think its duplicate
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #3
250fan
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '09 250r

I was also another tester for this unit. I just put it in on Monday....I will write a full review later....but from a stock CDI to this unit was a VERY noticeable difference!!!!! LOVING it so far! Map 2 runs great on 91
250fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Jean throw up the write up at KF please.

Old November 11th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Updated review on map #2 (post 1)

Old November 17th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Fits pretty nice in the stock position. One cable tie to hold it in place, and another around that one, to keep it from sliding forward..... Just like the stock rubber piece

Could tell a diff, soon as it was started..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brt cdi (2).JPG (217.9 KB, 104 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #7
Plasma
ninjette.org member

Name: Rigo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Fits pretty nice in the stock position. One cable tie to hold it in place, and another around that one, to keep it from sliding forward..... Just like the stock rubber piece

Could tell a diff, soon as it was started..
what are u alls bikes idling at?
Plasma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #8
randomwalk101
self wrencher

1300rpm

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
what are u alls bikes idling at?
Like 12-1300. Honestly, I have never had to touch the idle adjustment.

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

With most of the tis I notice the bike will idle slightly higher than it does with the stock cdi.

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #11
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

1500-1700 is its happy place with the programmable model

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

It is made for racing........ But, there is No kick stand safety switch function with this BRT.

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #13
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
It is made for racing........ But, there is No kick safety switch function with this BRT.
Are you saying the sidestand switch is disabled?
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Are you saying the sidestand switch is disabled?
Left a word out

Yup Put the old cdi back in for now..... Cant live without that feature on the street.

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #15
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

That's interesting. Remember when I converted to the '88-94 CDI, my sidestand switch also had problems. I like mine disabled. Just get in the habit of putting it up prior to starting and shutting off via key, before putting it down for parking.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #16
NorCal_250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 650R, 08 Ninja 250R, 00 Aprilia SR50 (dead)

Anyone here actually take their bike to a dyno? 112 mains seem CRAZY rich when using a S/O unit...also changing the timing doesn't change your fuel mixture...only when the spark fires...so if you are running lean or rich, that won't change when you adjust your timing...
An ignition advancer/retarder is great, but it really needs to be checked on a dyno, or you could be doing serious damage to the motor/or at the least doing nothing at all...
NorCal_250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

The only harm could be from detonation. The trick is to have as much advance possible without it(detonation). You can really feel a difference, but that difference cant come from a compromise. Atleast, not something like forgetting about the kick stand and driving away. Bad things can come from it...........

Old November 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #18
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_250R View Post
Anyone here actually take their bike to a dyno? 112 mains seem CRAZY rich when using a S/O unit...also changing the timing doesn't change your fuel mixture...only when the spark fires...so if you are running lean or rich, that won't change when you adjust your timing...
An ignition advancer/retarder is great, but it really needs to be checked on a dyno, or you could be doing serious damage to the motor/or at the least doing nothing at all...

It all depends on a number of variations Jordan... I run 112's, a pod, full system, and the tis. I am still to rich up top I need to go down to 110's or even 108's. Marc from FP is going to tune my bike on his dyno because he wants to play with the tis. Kerry I never noticed the tis and side stand thing probably because I have not been riding on a regular basis and when I do ride I never need to use the kill switch on the kickstand. Being a racing product BRT never thought it would be needed but it would be a nice feature to have. I think the new company is making that available in their units for when they come out next year.

Old November 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i don't understand whats stopping someone from wiring their kickstand switch up in series with their normal kill-switch? wouldn't this give you the exact same effect as the stock kickstand switch?

-- edit --

if the switch is open when the kickstand is up, a relay could easily be added to swap the switch state.

Last futzed with by alex.s; November 30th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #20
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Pretty much

Old December 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #21
250fan
ninjette.org member

Thumbs up Sportisi BRT TIS Review

Hello all! I bought the BRT TIS Non-Programmable CDI Box from Ztrack back in early September. I have 1200 miles on the unit and I feel that I have used it long enough to write a quality review.

I'll first start with my experience in dealing with Ztrack. Matt has been a class act and a great person to do business with. His responses were fast as was his shipping. I highly recommend any of his products and will be doing business with him again very soon!

I really didn't know what to expect when I ordered the TIS, but it has exceeded all my expectations. The unit is VERY well built and completely sealed against the elements. It's an attractive little unit as well with a nice casing and decals of all the components used in it; such as the Phillips semiconductor chip it uses.

The installation was straight forward and required removing the seat and the passenger seat locking mechanism bracket. The stock CDI is surrounded by and held in place by a rubber sleeve. I was able to squeeze the new BRT CDI in the rubber sleeve and put it in the stock location with no problem or issues.

The unit comes with an on/off switch that connects to the CDI to select two different maps. The only issue with the switch is that the wire was not long enough to reach the CDI from the handlebars. I therefore had to make a couple splices and give it another 9 inches of wire to reach the CDI.

After installing, I fired up the bike. The first thing I noticed was that the bike now idled 400-500 rpm higher due to the advanced timing. The other issue that I found was that the bike will not shut off with the kickstand down and the bike in gear. This is not a big deal but it is something to be aware of!!!

I use the bike for my daily driver and I know the way it feels inside and out. When I first took the bike for a test ride, the bike's throttle response improved dramatically. Off the line, the bike no longer bogged; it just pulled hard all the way to 14000!!! It also has more of a growl to it when its at full open throttle. The bike pulls hard all the way from idle to redline; where as before it would slowly lose power from 10k rpm on. This mod has made the bike feel more like an older ninja 500 and it is noticeably faster. It is easy to achieve 90 mph on the highway where as before it would take a little bit to get there. This mod is definitely worth it. If for nothing else, the fact that it has more top-end makes me more comfortable with highway riding.

There have been no issues during my use of the TIS. The weather here in Southern Cali has ranged from 110 to 30 degrees. Throughout this wide temperature range, there has been no detonation with stock jetting and 91 octane fuel.....both on map 1 and 2

Regarding Map 1 and 2....there is not that much of a difference from what I can tell....Map 2 pulls harder from 10k - 14000 RPM which is the big thing I have noticed. Also, my stock CDI had the infamous erroneous tach reading when it heated up. The BRT tis eliminates this completely and the TACH is allways consistent! Which is Very nice!

All in all I would highly recommend this mod!!!!

5 out of 5!!!!

Old December 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #22
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Sounds like a nice mod.
What did it run you price wise if you don't mind me asking?
Do you find yourself in MAP1 or MAP2 more?

I'm considering the clip ons from Sportisi. I like how they go on top. (or are at least seemingly shown that way)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM   #23
randomwalk101
self wrencher

did you get the programmable or non-programmable?

Old December 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #24
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
did you get the programmable or non-programmable?
He mentioned Non.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM   #25
250fan
ninjette.org member

Quote:
He mentioned Non.
Correct....non-programmable

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #26
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Yeah, sure wish the kickstand would kill the motor with this DTIS. You get a pic of it mounted? Would like to see how you fit into that rubber piece/ stock position

Old December 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM   #27
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Kerry as stated on my website. Race App only. It is designed for bikes without kill switches. While perfectly useable on the street you do need to adjust your habits/ rountine to accomodate for the lack of the kill switch.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM   #28
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

im about to get the BRT TIS programmable maybe this saturday, and having it installed by the Sportisi workshop where they have a dyno. ill post up a before and after dyno chart which ill get them to do on the same day.

i already have a dyno sheet with my current set up, and got 29.8 Hp. so im curious if i can get another 2~3 ooor maybe 4 Hp out with the BRT. ill play around with a larger main jet as well, since i think im running slightly lean at the moment cos my peak power is at 11500 rpm. i also think i read somewhere that having the advanced timing allows you to use a larger main jet for a richer mix.

the fact that the kick stand kill switch does not work with the BRT will be a little annoying, since ive gotten quite used to it, lol... but all of my other bikes that I've ridden in the past 10 years did not have it, and i got by fine... although i have taken off numerous times with the kickstand still down.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM   #29
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

cool slap santoz up side the head for me while you are there. he should have my zx 10 reassembled by then.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #30
wayanlam

lol, i thought you would be dealing with Brahm from the JKT base.

ive met santoso at the bali sprotisi shop when i went there to check out the workshop the first time. (or is santoz someone else in JKT)

you got a zx10 here?... overkill for these roads plx, he he he

Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #31
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I do. Santoz is bram's brother. I bought and sent him a zx 10 there he since he cannot buy one there.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM   #32
wayanlam

holy crud you sent a whole bike here?!! ha ha.... so i assume you send the bike part by part in the post?

i got a guy close to my house that builds up motocross bikes, and he was always getting a friend in the states to send cheap parts that he bought from e-bay, and declared them at dirt cheap prices, and just paid really low import taxes.

But since about a year now, they have been cracking down on the imports, and taxing a good 45% on new prices (even if its a cheap second hand item)... the poor guy had like 2 bikes stuck in the post, and was unable to pay the ridiculous taxes that they demanded cos he already gave a price to his clients based on paying very little taxes.

i had the same experience having the areaP exhaust sent in, ended up paying almost $250 just on the tax, lol

hmmm.... does santoso have some good connections for bypassing these tax hawkers?

actually if santoso is building up the bike here in bali, then he will be running straight into registration problems. there is this big bike group which used to pay off the cops to let their members drive their illegal (non registered) bikes around Bali, but again, since they have been cracking down on taxes, corruption and such, the government has been really clamping down on that as well, and anyone riding on an unregistered bike risks getting it confiscated!

sux for all the people with their nice big unregistered bikes, lol... lots of them being Harley's, which i don't miss seeing them at all!

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM   #33
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Kerry as stated on my website. Race App only. It is designed for bikes without kill switches. While perfectly useable on the street you do need to adjust your habits/ rountine to accomodate for the lack of the kill switch.
Yup, not saying anything bad about it. It's a real nice performance up-grade for the bike. Just one of those little things to wish for

Old December 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #34
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
holy crud you sent a whole bike here?!! ha ha.... so i assume you send the bike part by part in the post?

i got a guy close to my house that builds up motocross bikes, and he was always getting a friend in the states to send cheap parts that he bought from e-bay, and declared them at dirt cheap prices, and just paid really low import taxes.

But since about a year now, they have been cracking down on the imports, and taxing a good 45% on new prices (even if its a cheap second hand item)... the poor guy had like 2 bikes stuck in the post, and was unable to pay the ridiculous taxes that they demanded cos he already gave a price to his clients based on paying very little taxes.

i had the same experience having the areaP exhaust sent in, ended up paying almost $250 just on the tax, lol

hmmm.... does santoso have some good connections for bypassing these tax hawkers?

actually if santoso is building up the bike here in bali, then he will be running straight into registration problems. there is this big bike group which used to pay off the cops to let their members drive their illegal (non registered) bikes around Bali, but again, since they have been cracking down on taxes, corruption and such, the government has been really clamping down on that as well, and anyone riding on an unregistered bike risks getting it confiscated!

sux for all the people with their nice big unregistered bikes, lol... lots of them being Harley's, which i don't miss seeing them at all!
Santoz has connections Cops in Bali are still pretty lax and easy to bribe. The idiot who decided to run his unregistered bike into the cops car was the one who almost ruined it for everyone else.

Last futzed with by ztrack157; December 25th, 2009 at 10:03 AM.
ztrack157 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #35
bprayogo
ninjette.org member

Name: Brahmantio

Motorcycle(s): N250R

You should ask santoz to take care the shipping of your exhaust , I only paid $70 for tax hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post

bprayogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #36
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Yup santoz runs a shipping company in Bali. If you ever decide to import something from the US again it is easier and cheaper to send it to Santoz. Whether direct or having me get it and ship it for you to him (easier to avoid fees and saves on shipping as I ship more than one item to him at a time).

Old December 25th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #37
wayanlam

that's great to know! next time im sending anything substantial in value, ill give santoz a call, i have his number somewhere already. but as it is, i don't think i need any more mods from abroad, all that i need i can already get here in Bali which is great.

i just installed a Hella 110 Db horn this monrning, he he... finally i got a decent blaring horn! although i rarely use it, when i do, i like it to be heard ^^

next mod: still the BRT TIS, but i think ill do that when i come back from my snowboarding holiday in the end of Jan. i don't wanna install it, and then leave the bike sitting there for a month!

now im just waiting for the paint to dry on the little bracket i had welded for the right side horn... definitely the most boring part of this mod, rofl.

Old February 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #38
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
The only harm could be from detonation. The trick is to have as much advance possible without it(detonation). You can really feel a difference, but that difference cant come from a compromise. Atleast, not something like forgetting about the kick stand and driving away. Bad things can come from it...........
I am interested in this but am not technicial enough to understand what I am putting my bike in danger of if I install it? When you say "detonation" what exactly do you mean? What are the cons of installing this other than needing to use higher octane gas, kickstand kill switch and "detonation?" And what is this "knocking" thing that people mention?

Also, I'm in Cali, the gas stations I go to don't have 93, we have 91, will that be ok? I know a poster above said it ran fine, but how about in the long run?
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #39
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_250R View Post
I ran my bike on the dyno when it was stock with stock carbs and the BRT_TIS
I also have a very open Nojima Moto GP exhaust.
I put in 118 jets just to be on the safe side . Plus I did not have anything slightly smaller only 112 . That I intended to use and I ordered the in between size.before i got to the dyno.

When I went to the Dyno I had everything. But I figured I would start with 118 and stock timing from the 88-94 which was 42 deg . The bike ran very well But I could feel a flat spot from 7000-9000 rpm .

First pull on the Dyno showed a very rich condition and the dip between 7-9K. Power was 29 hp and 13 Ft pounds of torque.

I added one then two or three degrees from 7000 to 9000 Rpm . The more timing I through the more the Fuel reading came down. The final timing was 42 across the rpm range with as much as 45 deg around 8000 rpm.I did go down to 115 jets for the street and the Yoshi exhaust . But the plugs where white.

The Hp toped out at 32hp 12500 rpm and the torque jumped to 19 ft lb.
All on rocket 100 Fuel.
The dyno I used is in Fredrick MD
Ask for Greg they are great to work with.

http://www.hyperbikecenters.com/

Even with street gas I only took out two deg of timing .

Check out this for info on detonation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #40
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

The BRT non pro was tuned at BRT using 92 octane. Indonesia octane numbers are higher than ours so it was actuall more like a 90 or 91 octane. Running the TIS and having your bike jetted will not cause you issues.