ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 26th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #1
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninjette ex 250

Can anybody tell me exactly what I am working with here

This is what I know
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250 ex
I will upload a pic I am curious about if I have a stock exhaust or aftermarket?

I want to replace / repair it, it sounds like **** & I do not like that. Not sure if its a leak or just needs a new one.

I also need to do a valve adjustment.

Whenever I look for stuff online, I do find an overwhelming amount of info, however I am not even sure if it applies to my bike, b/c I rarely see just the 250 ex. I will upload a pic of it. e02f5d6488cc436b95c2be3ad4aa0810.jpg not sure how to upload it. I can take a closer one if needed.

I did do my own oil and filter, and I am seriously determined to learn how to work on and take apart and put together this bike, and any future bikes I get. I did get my own tool box and everything. However some guidance at the starting line here would be so much appreciated.

Thank you to everybody this group is the best........ love it

Old September 27th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #2
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Looks like an aftermarket exhaust. Hard to tell, can you take a closer picture?
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 04:38 AM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
a motorcycle.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Welcome, and I love the color scheme of your Ninjette.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks aftermarket, maybe a muzzy?

If your looking for a great WIKI on the Ninjette look over at our brothers and sisters website NINJA 250 RIDERS CLUB, it's one of the best for information on the Ninjette, but some of it is dated, but all is great reading.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 27th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #5
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Nice bike

If you want to make it easier to post pictures , try using a picture hosting site ex: Photobucket
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
Nice bike

If you want to make it easier to post pictures , try using a picture hosting site ex: Photobucket
ugh, even with an AdBlocker they still pop up ads and the site is sloooooowww. They want you to pay to remove the ads, just an FYI.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I've had a good experience with Photobucket, although you're not the first person I've heard who finds it slow, B. I don't find Photobucket to be slow at all, and I see very few prompts to get the paid version.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I don't use Flash, so some of the mouse-over and click features of PB don't work. To get BBS code I have to do it the "hard" way, like right click and hit "copy", or double click to highlight.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Yea. I just do the [ img ] link here [/ img]
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

How do I load pictures on to this site?

/moved to pre-gen tech area

Does not look like stock exhaust to me; not sure what brand of aftermarket.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #10
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklenation View Post
This is what I know
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250 ex
I will upload a pic I am curious about if I have a stock exhaust or aftermarket?

I want to replace / repair it, it sounds like **** & I do not like that. Not sure if its a leak or just needs a new one.

I also need to do a valve adjustment.

Whenever I look for stuff online, I do find an overwhelming amount of info, however I am not even sure if it applies to my bike, b/c I rarely see just the 250 ex. I will upload a pic of it. not sure how to upload it. I can take a closer one if needed.

I did do my own oil and filter, and I am seriously determined to learn how to work on and take apart and put together this bike, and any future bikes I get. I did get my own tool box and everything. However some guidance at the starting line here would be so much appreciated.
Hello Carol and welcome.

To get back on topic...

Just remember when you look for technical posts about your bike that any Ninja 250 between 1986-2007 (Pregen) will be pretty close to what your bike will be like. So, you may want to search for "pregen" or even "2007 Ninja 250" to get bikes that may be similar to yours.

Concerning how to start to learn to fix your own bike, start small, like you did with the oil change. Great start! Then start to take the plastic pieces off of your bike, see what is underneath and learn to replace it. Don't be afraid to make some mistakes. There are lots of great people around here to help you figure out what you did wrong.

I suggest that you start to take pieces off and clean or lube them if required and then put them back on. Make your bike fit your personality. Make it yours and understand how it works. Personally, I like to take anything off that I feel is not necessary, like too much plastic, passenger pegs, original air box, etc.

A bike that old will have a lot of cracked, dried out or missing hoses. Learn where they go and replace them as time requires. Learn how the carbs work and how to get to them so you can fix, clean, adjust or modify them.

Enjoy it! Take your time and be brave! Learn to fix issues without running to an expensive bike shop for everything. Use this old bike as a jigsaw puzzle all your own.

Enjoy! See you around a lot I hope.

Peace
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #11
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

One last comment.

In my humble opinion, decide what is most important, to get it running right away and riding it or is it more important to understand how the bike works and to learn to fix it little by little yourself.

Do you just want to ride it as it is or do you want to make it fit your personality and to be your toy to take apart and to put it back together the right way?

You will find both kinds of people here, so take what you are told with that in mind.

Personally, I would rather make my cheap little bike an extension of what I like, feel and desire. Of course I like to ride too, but I bought my 10 year old Ninja 250 so that I wouldn't be afraid to make a lot of mistakes without a high sticker price.

First decide what you want out of this bike and follow your heart.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #12
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Dude, ^^^this. Candy for my retnas.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #13
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
Looks like an aftermarket exhaust. Hard to tell, can you take a closer picture?
Yes I will. Sorry I did not notice this was moved, so whenever I looked at it I noticed no views. anyway Yes I will.

Thank you

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #14
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Welcome, and I love the color scheme of your Ninjette.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks aftermarket, maybe a muzzy?

If your looking for a great WIKI on the Ninjette look over at our brothers and sisters website NINJA 250 RIDERS CLUB, it's one of the best for information on the Ninjette, but some of it is dated, but all is great reading.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
I certainly will do that.

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:28 PM   #15
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
One last comment.

In my humble opinion, decide what is most important, to get it running right away and riding it or is it more important to understand how the bike works and to learn to fix it little by little yourself.

Do you just want to ride it as it is or do you want to make it fit your personality and to be your toy to take apart and to put it back together the right way?

You will find both kinds of people here, so take what you are told with that in mind.

Personally, I would rather make my cheap little bike an extension of what I like, feel and desire. Of course I like to ride too, but I bought my 10 year old Ninja 250 so that I wouldn't be afraid to make a lot of mistakes without a high sticker price.

First decide what you want out of this bike and follow your heart.
wow that is brilliant. Hmmm, as usual I am undecided. (what a shock) I personally think I want to go bigger, just a little bit. So before I decide to put a bunch of money or time or energy in this one I have to weigh the options.

Additionally, I do not think it would hurt for me to keep her about 6 months, unless the lack of power just absolutely makes me crazy.

( undecided ) It is cost effective way to learn, and not go broke while doing so. hhhhhhmmmmm

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #16
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hello Carol and welcome.

To get back on topic...

Just remember when you look for technical posts about your bike that any Ninja 250 between 1986-2007 (Pregen) will be pretty close to what your bike will be like. So, you may want to search for "pregen" or even "2007 Ninja 250" to get bikes that may be similar to yours.

Concerning how to start to learn to fix your own bike, start small, like you did with the oil change. Great start! Then start to take the plastic pieces off of your bike, see what is underneath and learn to replace it. Don't be afraid to make some mistakes. There are lots of great people around here to help you figure out what you did wrong.

I suggest that you start to take pieces off and clean or lube them if required and then put them back on. Make your bike fit your personality. Make it yours and understand how it works. Personally, I like to take anything off that I feel is not necessary, like too much plastic, passenger pegs, original air box, etc.

A bike that old will have a lot of cracked, dried out or missing hoses. Learn where they go and replace them as time requires. Learn how the carbs work and how to get to them so you can fix, clean, adjust or modify them.

Enjoy it! Take your time and be brave! Learn to fix issues without running to an expensive bike shop for everything. Use this old bike as a jigsaw puzzle all your own.

Enjoy! See you around a lot I hope.

Peace

Awww I love this idea here. Yep I think I might have decided. Not sure yet

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Additionally, I do not think it would hurt for me to keep her about 6 months, unless the lack of power just absolutely makes me crazy.
If it's running right, it has plenty of power. I have a couple faster motorcycles, one a lot faster, but the 250 is as much or more fun to ride than they are, and the twistier the road, the more fun it is.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #18
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
If it's running right, it has plenty of power. I have a couple faster motorcycles, one a lot faster, but the 250 is as much or more fun to ride than they are, and the twistier the road, the more fun it is.
I agree. If you learn to repair, mod and tune your little 250, I promise you that it has plenty of power, especially for a smaller person or a woman rider.

Learning to ride your 250 and also learning to repair and maintain it will help you with a larger bike when you are ready. Don't get in a hurry to move up in CCs just because other people brag about the power. That power can kill you quickly if you aren't ready for it.

Lastly, it isn't about the destination, it's about the ride. Enjoy what you have now. Then once you are ready you can trade this great bike in for another bigger used bike.

Enjoy the ride. Remember, anything you learn to do well is never a waste of time.

Old September 28th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #19
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes I will. Sorry I did not notice this was moved, so whenever I looked at it I noticed no views. anyway Yes I will.

Thank you
Technical tip:

If the exhaust is an after market, then check to see if your bike has the original plastic air box or does it have an after market "pod" type air filter.

When the air box and/or the exhaust has been changed, to get the bike to run right, the carb jets need to be changed for the bike to ride right. Your carb main jets may not have been changed when the exhaust was added.

First thing to do is to see what kind of air filter your bike has. (To do that remove the seat.)

Don't worry about the carb jets yet. Just see what mods the bike has first.

Old September 28th, 2016, 06:24 PM   #20
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Technical tip:

If the exhaust is an after market, then check to see if your bike has the original plastic air box or does it have an after market "pod" type air filter.

When the air box and/or the exhaust has been changed, to get the bike to run right, the carb jets need to be changed for the bike to ride right. Your carb main jets may not have been changed when the exhaust was added.

First thing to do is to see what kind of air filter your bike has. (To do that remove the seat.)

Don't worry about the carb jets yet. Just see what mods the bike has first.
Omg so much good advice here. I will do that tonight when my son and I return from Kung fu. ( him not me)

Funny about my bikes color scheme; I wish I could take credit for it but I bought it that way. I love pink and quite honestly that is why I bought it. ( I know I have heard it all, but truth be told, that is why)

The girl I bought it from was very dedicated to her painting. She did it with a brush! Yes a brush. Additionally, there is not a part on the bike that was not painted with a brush. Go ahead name the part, I bet it was painted. All the way down to the little window holes where I look for fluids. Yes for real.

After learning a bit more about these bikes and seeing how inexpensive graphic kits are and stuff I have to wonder why in the world would anybody spend what had to be 100 + hours and at least 9 coats of paint when some stickers would have done the same.

Anyway her decision, so be it. The window holes are now visible to see fluids in and as I proceed through the bike I will be dealing with the paint. But it is pink and that makes it beautiful to me.

Old September 28th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #21
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I wouldn't have thought to paint a bike with a brush but I guess that's one way to make sure it's exactly how you want it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #22
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I wouldn't have thought to paint a bike with a brush but I guess that's one way to make sure it's exactly how you want it.
Let's admit it, a motorcycle in most cases is not a utility vehicle like a car. For many people, a bike is about expressing themselves. They are telling the world who they are and what they believe.

With that said, why not just make your bike your "canvas on wheels"? The previous owner just took that literally! *smile* And I'm all for it. You just have to make sure that the bike runs well also.

That can sometimes be harder than putting a sticker or some paint on the bike.

But yes, express yourself! With stickers, a paint brush or a box end wrench. Be brave and create your masterpiece. Just do it well...

Old September 30th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #23
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '89 Ninja 250 (#3650)

Quote:
But yes, express yourself! With stickers, a paint brush or a box end wrench. Be brave and create your masterpiece. Just do it well...
Now you've got me stressing about the plans for my bike
Tango89er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #24
CaliGrrl

[QUOTE=Wanderer;1137216 With that said, why not just make your bike your "canvas on wheels"? [/QUOTE]

Sure, why not? Just something I wouldn't have thought about doing.

Old September 30th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #25
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango89er View Post
Now you've got me stressing about the plans for my bike
Don't stress. There is no right result just like there is no right piece of art.

Try to be patient, there is no deadline. I spent my whole life trying to make everything happen on some schedule or deadline. Now that I'm an old man and in the later years of my life, I no longer get in a hurry.

The key is enjoying each day as it comes to you. The past is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet. All you have is right now, today. So, do what you can and let the rest take care of itself.

Sometimes just find some time to just sit and look at your bike like a blank canvas. Then see what comes you and start "painting", metaphorically speaking. *smile* I prefer to "paint" with a screwdriver and a wrench.

Peace

Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:17 AM   #26
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Right, I agree I just hope and pray that every timer she did maintenance of any kind she just repainted the bolts and stuff to make it look untouched

Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:29 AM   #27
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

So my 2nd task has been completed. That was taking the seat, side fairing ( not necessary but I wanted to see what was there anyway) off, unscrewing the bar thing over the the air filter box with the 2 holes in it.

Removed the air cleaner filter
Washed with DAWN
Rinsed and rinsed and rinsed.
Let dry for like 2 min and decided to blow dry it. ( I felt that was ok since my blowdryer does not give split ends or damage hair.

Now the adding of oil. Welll..... I somehow interpreted that part as to SOAK it. and I did. HA huge oil dripping everywhere.
NO GOOD. NOT SAFE FOR ME, OR ANY OTHER BIKE OR PERSON WHO VENTURES BEHIND ME.

Took the day off work, went to my buddies and after the chuckles and guessing the weight of the air filter with the oil) we cleaned and wiped and made it right.

So another thing I need to do is next order a complete bolt set for the farings.

No two bolts are the same anywhere on this bike.

And as creativity has shown up before, this did not disappoint some parts were hot glue gunned.

Which I can attend to that had somebody informed me. Anywhooo thats coming next.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM   #28
CaliGrrl

Matching bolts, what a concept. You will only need two screwdrivers to get your fairings off with the right bolts. What fun is that?

Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:10 AM   #29
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Are you saying the hippies had it right?!?

Quote:
Don't stress. There is no right result just like there is no right piece of art.

Try to be patient, there is no deadline. I spent my whole life trying to make everything happen on some schedule or deadline. Now that I'm an old man and in the later years of my life, I no longer get in a hurry.

The key is enjoying each day as it comes to you. The past is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet. All you have is right now, today. So, do what you can and let the rest take care of itself.

Sometimes just find some time to just sit and look at your bike like a blank canvas. Then see what comes you and start "painting", metaphorically speaking. *smile* I prefer to "paint" with a screwdriver and a wrench.

Peace
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:49 AM   #30
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Matching bolts, what a concept. You will only need two screwdrivers to get your fairings off with the right bolts. What fun is that?
Two screwdrivers? I ordered a set of replacement bolts and only need an Allen Key

Old October 3rd, 2016, 05:04 PM   #31
CaliGrrl

Huh. Cool.

I need a Phillips and an Allen wrench. Does that mean some of mine were replaced?

Old October 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM   #32
Tango89er
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Huh. Cool.

I need a Phillips and an Allen wrench. Does that mean some of mine were replaced?
You'd have to check the manual to know for sure. Mine aren't OEM

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:15 PM   #33
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Huh. Cool.

Yes. They should all be allens.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:53 PM   #34
CaliGrrl

Good to know! Thanks.

Old October 4th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #35
Chocula
ninjette.org member

Name: Chocula

Motorcycle(s): Lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Yes. They should all be allens.
The Pregen's use a mix of philips and allens. Sadly, most faired bikes seem to have a mix of screw sizes and types. My Triumph uses philips, allens, and hex sockets.

Picture of one of the OEM fairing screws for the lower cowling from 1988 to 2007:http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...2009-1654.html
Chocula is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #36
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocula View Post
The Pregen's use a mix of philips and allens. Sadly, most faired bikes seem to have a mix of screw sizes and types. My Triumph uses philips, allens, and hex sockets.

Picture of one of the OEM fairing screws for the lower cowling from 1988 to 2007:http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...2009-1654.html
Then the ones on my wifes old Pre Gen were replaced lol. They were all Allens, even the lowers.

Old October 6th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #37
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Looks like it might be a stock new gen (2008-2012) exhaust. Really hard to tell from that photo but look at the picture I included and if the end looks like the picture it is a new gen stock can. The "Pre-Gen's" like your bike came with dual exhaust and they may have changed to this to have a single exhaust solution for cheap. I could be totally wrong since it is really hard to see detail in the picture you supplied but I think I can see the mounting point for the heat shield under the foot peg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250 exhaust.jpg (5.9 KB, 26 views)
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote