ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 16th, 2019, 11:21 AM   #1
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Body Parts

For those in need see this eBay listing.

*** 303028538883 ***

Bill

Old January 16th, 2019, 12:02 PM   #2
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome, thanks!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 95 ninja 250, 08 KLR 650

Yeah that's a killer find.
Nextbesthing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2019, 12:28 PM   #4
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbesthing View Post
Yeah that's a killer find.
Just to let you know I have no interest in this eBay posting. I have an on-going search on eBay for pre-gen parts and ran across this. I have a replacement upper fairing (I'm working on repairing a second fairing), a complete set of cooling system hoses, headlight, mirrors, gauges, turn signals, rear fender and some other stuff. I just know that the first thing to get trashed on the 250 is the upper fairing and they ain't easy to come by.

If the bid winner is lucky the gas tank isn't full of rust.

Bill

Old January 17th, 2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Just to let you know I have no interest in this eBay posting. I have an on-going search on eBay for pre-gen parts and ran across this. I have a replacement upper fairing (I'm working on repairing a second fairing), a complete set of cooling system hoses, headlight, mirrors, gauges, turn signals, rear fender and some other stuff. I just know that the first thing to get trashed on the 250 is the upper fairing and they ain't easy to come by.

If the bid winner is lucky the gas tank isn't full of rust.

Bill
I sent him a message about the tank. I'll let everyone know the response. I'm not 100% interested in it but I do have a problem where I buy unnecessary replacement parts.

Last futzed with by Nextbesthing; January 17th, 2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: I dunt spell gud.

Old January 17th, 2019, 02:03 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbesthing View Post
I sent him a message about the tank. I'll let everyone know the response. I'm not 100% interested in it but I do have a problem where I buy unnecessary replacement parts.
I too have the unnecessary parts syndrome. My 2007 EX250 is my 9th and last and most favorite motorcycle. Parts are getting scarce and I plan on being buried with it.

Bill

Old January 17th, 2019, 03:01 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Clean tanks seem to be toughest to find and they're often in bad shape. On both my pre-gens, tanks were rusty with one being extremely thick and foamy rust. Following some guides from vintage bicycle forums, I soaked them in oxalic acid (easy to find and use). Little did I know that oxalic acid eats both rust and good metal at same voracious rate. I ended up with holes in both tanks.

I bought two more tanks, both equally rusty. This time I researched topic a little more and used phosphoric acid on one of them (available as concrete-cleaner/rust-remover at hardware stores). Phosphoric acid preferentially eats only rust and stops at clean steel, leaving mild protective coating. I put tank on spit and rotated 90-degrees every couple hours. I went through 4 pint-bottles of it on this tank in 2-weeks and was left with nice clean metal! Coated it with POR-15 then followed up with diluted epoxy resin.

On 2nd tank, I tried electrolysis with washing soda. That worked pretty well and was faster than phosphoric acid. Also POR-15 coated and sealed with epoxy resin.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Clean tanks seem to be toughest to find and they're often in bad shape. On both my pre-gens, tanks were rusty with one being extremely thick and foamy rust. Following some guides from vintage bicycle forums, I soaked them in oxalic acid (easy to find and use). Little did I know that oxalic acid eats both rust and good metal at same voracious rate. I ended up with holes in both tanks.

I bought two more tanks, both equally rusty. This time I researched topic a little more and used phosphoric acid on one of them (available as concrete-cleaner/rust-remover at hardware stores). Phosphoric acid preferentially eats only rust and stops at clean steel, leaving mild protective coating. I put tank on spit and rotated 90-degrees every couple hours. I went through 4 pint-bottles of it on this tank in 2-weeks and was left with nice clean metal! Coated it with POR-15 then followed up with diluted epoxy resin.

On 2nd tank, I tried electrolysis with washing soda. That worked pretty well and was faster than phosphoric acid. Also POR-15 coated and sealed with epoxy resin.
I'll remember that phosphoric acid process. I've found something that works pretty well on rust it's called "Evapo-Rust". It's not cheap and you would probably want to pour in a whole gallon of it. The cool thing is that you can drain the Evapo-Rust (pour it through a piece of cheesecloth) and reuse it. I imagine you would have to rotate the gas tank 90 degrees every 12 hours or so, The metal needs to be submerged in the solution. While you're at the tank clean-up be sure to run a 0.060" - 0.080" piece of piano wire down the overflow tube that runs inside your gas tank. The tubing is raw steel and rusts. I cleaned out the tube on my bike and it was plugged with rust. I then sprayed G-96 gun treatment down the tube. I did that in 2017 and 2018. If that rusts out you'll only be able to fill your tank to the point where the rust hole is on the tube.

Cheers,

Bill

Old January 17th, 2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Clevelandmoto recently talked about a product called "milkstone remover" on their podcast that I am fairly interested in trying. I have a kawigreen tank with a hole in the bottom near the petcock. Trying to see if I can get rid of the rust before I get it welded up. It's too bad they made these tanks out of such thin metal.