Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1
htsang07
ninjette.org member

Name: Henry

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

outdoor winter storage

hey,

so i'm putting the bike away and this winter im not gonna be able to rent out an indoor garage. I'm just wondering if i've missed anything important to do for winter storage for the out doors.

I am currently trying to purchase the cycle shell and this is what i've done/plan on doing. I changed the oil, topped off the gas with stabilized gas, lubed anything that moves, washed/waxed, and i'm going to take out the battery and put it on stands.

Since i'm storing it outside for the winter, i'm not sure if I should buy some sort of "corrosion prevention spray to spray on metals and what not. I haven't really heard of anyone using a coating to prevent rust and i'm just wondering if anyone knows of anything good.

If someone has any ideas/advices for storing it outdoor, please do tell. I've really spent a while thinking this through and I don't want to get rid of my bike because i don't have anywhere to put it but at the same time I don't want it to get all rusty
htsang07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #2
scottg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Use lots of WD-40. Spray it on every metal surface. Anything that has WD-40 on it won't rust. I never stored my bike outside but I had a cruiser last year that I kept in my friend's barn with way more exposed metal than the ninjette. I used almost an entire big bottle of WD-40 and it worked great. Just make sure you wash all of it off when you get back on the bike next spring. When it gets hot, it burns and smells terrible.
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
htsang07
ninjette.org member

For WD-40, is it okay if I spray everything? I mean like, painted surfaces/plastic etc? I don't really know much of what reaction there will be with what kind of surfaces so I want to make sure it would be okay..

I'm only asking because i'm not knowledgeable in these kinds of things, for instance, i had an instance where i drained the carb into a plastic cup and the gas ate right through the cup.. lol... I just dont want to come back to the bike and the paint is like... gone lol

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4
scottg
ninjette.org member

There is really no reason to spray the plastic or rubber pieces, the WD-40 is only being used to prevent rust on the metal. If a little drips on the plastic, I'd wipe it off since it's will be covered for so long but it's generally pretty safe for paint. You can actually use it to help take off sticker residue. I used it when I took of the Ninja stickers on my fairings.

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
htsang07
ninjette.org member

i was actually asking because of some of the parts are painted metal, such as the engine and i was wondering if it would be okay to spray that down as well or should i just leave it as it is.

because, the only metal that isn't painted is the headers and exhaust right?

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

By outdoor, do you mean just out in the open in a parking lot? The big issues with outdoor storage revolve around moisture primarily, with physical damage from vandals/weather being an important second.

With moisture, you have to deal with falling water (rain, snow), airborne water (fog, humidity, condensation), as well as rising water (moisture from the ground). Parking on pavement eliminates most of the problems with rising water. A decent bike cover will take care of the falling water. The most damaging water will be humidity, in the form of condensation, and the two main parts of the bike that are most likely to be damaged by condensation are the tank and the cylinder walls inside the engine. As the temperatures cycle through warm and cold during the day, air inside the tank and cylinders expands and contracts, sucking in air that has humidity to some extent. When the air inside the tank and cylinders reaches the dewpoint water condenses and triggers rust.

What can you do about that? Fill the tank to the very top and add Stabil, then rock the bike side to side to slosh it up all over the inside of the tank. Run the engine with the fresh for a bit to get the cylinder walls coated then shut it off. Do this with a fully warmed up engine, that way you can do this without using the choke. Then, shut off the fuel at the petcock (if applicable) and drain the carbs.

Lube the chain and cables per normal (you do lube your cables, right?), not forgetting the throttle cables. Clean and wax all painted surfaces, as well as chrome bits.

All of these steps will prep your bike for probably a year of storage, though I'd recommend replacing the fuel in the tank (not the carbs or cylinders) every six months so that you can burn it in your car rather than having to take it to a hazardous waste disposal facility. I would not run year old gas in anything but a mower, and even that might be iffy.

If you're just storing it for a few months then you'll be fine. Also, a last note: If you can park it out of the wind that's a good thing because covers have been known to act as sails in storms and blow the bike over.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #7
scottg
ninjette.org member

Great tips^! It has been my experience that the WD-40 is fine on painted metals and won't remove anything.

Old September 18th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #8
htsang07
ninjette.org member

thanks for the tips! In addition, do you guys think a type of dessicant or like humidifier would be a good idea? I will be keeping the bike in a "cycle shell"

http://cycleshell.com/

I don't know if they make any kind of small dehumidifiers for outdoor purposes though..

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #9
scottg
ninjette.org member

I wouldn't bother with a dehumidifier, they use way too much electricity and I don't think this will be enough of a barrier to hold the dry air. I've seen those shells before but never knew anyone who used one. I'd love to know how it goes over the winter since I don't have a garage either and one of these would totally fit in my driveway. Keep us updated!

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #10
htsang07
ninjette.org member

I'll definitely let you know how the cycle shell is. I purchased it because it looks like a good idea. I also bought some of those evadry dessicant that absorbs moisture and you can plug it in an outlet to reuse, Im not sure how well it'll work but ill let you guys know.

Btw how did you go about getting wd 40 into those hard to reach areas in the middle of everything?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 19th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #11
scottg
ninjette.org member

The can usually comes with a long straw to put on the nozzle that will allow you to spray in hard to reach places.

Old September 19th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #12
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Stick in a box of baking soda under the cover to take care of the humidity...
Stuff you exhaust and airbox with rags or something. You don't want little critters taking up refuge in there.

edit: If you still have your snorkel then don't worry about the airbox

Old September 19th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
winter? whats that.

Old September 19th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #14
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

I was looking into this, with the wd-40 spraydown

http://www.lowes.com/pd_274588-25-LW...roduct_price|0
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #15
scottg
ninjette.org member

I really, really want one of those but I share parking with my neighbors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 20th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #16
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

@htsang07 ACF-50 (Anti Corrosion Formula 50) would be a better bet than WD-40. From what I've heard it's quite good.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle.htm
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote