Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Bubba
ninjette.org member

Name: Bubba

Motorcycle(s): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Almost half of fatal motorcycle accidents involve alcohol.
And you can cut your chances of a fatal crash by keeping off roads from Friday 4pm to Sunday 6am by almost 50%.

Still, a little under 40% of motorcycle crashes are people losing control, no other vehicles involved.
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:31 PM   #42
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Haven't noticed an excess here. But the first sunny weekend if the year tends to pull a lot of group rides out and inexperienced riders stop riding as individuals and develop a herd mindset. You get the same thing with pedestrians where they cross the road without looking "because everyone else is crossing".

A big problem here on the flatlands is low bright sun behind you in the late evening when many of us are riding home from summer club meets. The oncoming genuinely cant see you and makes assumptions about what it can't see.
I tend to keep away from the centerline in those conditions

The thing is to deal with what people do not what they "should" do and allow for them as far as possible
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:23 PM   #43
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Haven't noticed an excess here. But the first sunny weekend if the year tends to pull a lot of group rides out and inexperienced riders stop riding as individuals and develop a herd mindset. You get the same thing with pedestrians where they cross the road without looking "because everyone else is crossing".

A big problem here on the flatlands is low bright sun behind you in the late evening when many of us are riding home from summer club meets. The oncoming genuinely cant see you and makes assumptions about what it can't see.
I tend to keep away from the centerline in those conditions

The thing is to deal with what people do not what they "should" do and allow for them as far as possible
Not only the inexperienced, local advanced riding group run a couple of weeks ago turned into the 1000cc armada properly lighting it up, group's press officer had to turn off the gopro as it was collecting evidence & everyone was playing outrun the camera

Wonder how the ride report will go
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM   #44
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Lost an off duty police officer on I-55 over the weekend... a lady almost missed her exit and jumped over 2 lanes of traffic to get to it... ZX-10R could not slow in time to miss.

Officer was not wearing a helmet, no helmet law in Illinois.

Worst times I have found

Spring, when all the snow and salt are gone, i'm the first guy on a bike in the spring, usually. People have gone all winter and have forgotten that motorcycle exist and actually have a right to a piece of the road.

the first 5 minutes of a rain storm... it's like the change from sunshine to rain makes cagers stupid.

Groups... Tard-ish behavior is amplified with more bikes... 4 Gixxers or more, tard levels at MAXIMUM!!!

I did give one person who had just drifted out of their lane twice in the last mile a hand jesture at the next light.

no, not that, I made the "phone" gesteure with my hand (thumb and pinkie finger out, other three fingers rolled up) and held that to the side of my helmet, then made a big deal about moving it away from my head and onto the phone cradle... (for those of you who aren't old, the ear/mouth piece used to have a cord on it, going to the base and you "hung up" by placing the ear/mouth piece horizontally on the cradle) and then made the motion of gripping a steering wheel and moved the grip back and forth...

hand signals for "hang up and DRIVE.............. moron"
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #45
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Lost an off duty police officer on I-55 over the weekend... a lady almost missed her exit and jumped over 2 lanes of traffic to get to it... ZX-10R could not slow in time to miss.

Officer was not wearing a helmet, no helmet law in Illinois.

Worst times I have found

Spring, when all the snow and salt are gone, i'm the first guy on a bike in the spring, usually. People have gone all winter and have forgotten that motorcycle exist and actually have a right to a piece of the road.

the first 5 minutes of a rain storm... it's like the change from sunshine to rain makes cagers stupid.

Groups... Tard-ish behavior is amplified with more bikes... 4 Gixxers or more, tard levels at MAXIMUM!!!

I did give one person who had just drifted out of their lane twice in the last mile a hand jesture at the next light.

no, not that, I made the "phone" gesteure with my hand (thumb and pinkie finger out, other three fingers rolled up) and held that to the side of my helmet, then made a big deal about moving it away from my head and onto the phone cradle... (for those of you who aren't old, the ear/mouth piece used to have a cord on it, going to the base and you "hung up" by placing the ear/mouth piece horizontally on the cradle) and then made the motion of gripping a steering wheel and moved the grip back and forth...

hand signals for "hang up and DRIVE.............. moron"
Shouldn't that have been up & down from the wrist instead, tell him what you really think

Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #46
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Shouldn't that have been up & down from the wrist instead, tell him what you really think
well ya'know, tried to keep it PG13 in case younger or more sensitive viewers were about.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:58 PM   #47
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
well ya'know, tried to keep it PG13 in case younger or more sensitive viewers were about.
By the time they're 13 they know all about it...

Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:04 PM   #48
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Almost half of fatal motorcycle accidents involve alcohol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
And you can cut your chances of a fatal crash by keeping off roads from Friday 4pm to Sunday 6am by almost 50%............
Very true !!!

This is a recent and very sad case of a safe motorcyclist killed on I-95 by a car entering the highway the wrong way; ..... this is how dangerous South Florida roads can be.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/07/22...sh-identified/

http://www.wsvn.com/story/26097404/m...-crash-on-i-95

"A motorcyclist died after a head-on collision caused by another vehicle traveling the wrong-way on Interstate 95.

According to the FHP, 20-year-old Varissa Vargas was traveling northbound in the southbound lanes of I-95. Carlos Pereira, 61, was heading southbound in his Dodge Ram and Mello was also traveling southbound on his motorcycle.

Pereira attempted to swerve to avoid a head-on collision with Vargas but ended up being sideswiped. Mello, who was traveling behind Pereira, was then unable to avoid a head-on collision with Vargas. Vargas struck Mello head-on, killing him when he went through the windshield and landed in the back seat of his pickup truck. Vargas was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital in serious condition."
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #49
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

MOTM - May '15
^ Holy crap!!!
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:13 PM   #50
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Yeah ^^^
If you want to avoid being a statistic, don't ride while under the influence, wear ATGATT, and get some rider training. You'll probably avoid 90% of the stats right there.
add "ride well within your limits when riding street" to that equation

Old July 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #51
Whiskey

One of the old guys from my group ran into a spot of bother while overtaking a tractor with a trailer stacked high with hay bales, which was obscuring a 40' artic truck...

Wide open road and he took a chance, ended up going head first into another oncoming 40' artic before clearing the pair, it took the fire & rescue team an hour to remove what was left of him, as the bike burst into flames on impact.

There are old riders & there are bold riders, but not many old & bold riders.

Old August 26th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #52
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
He would've walked away with only his pride hurt if he had a full face helmet. Instead, he sustained a possible broken nose and cuts to the face.

http://cliffviewpilot.com/cyclist-th...oute-17-crash/
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #53
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

And if he hadn't been following too close or riding too fast for conditions, he wouldn't have had an accident at all!
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2015, 06:32 PM   #54
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
First day that hit 60 degrees. Lots of riders out today. Unfortunately, critical injury.

http://cliffviewpilot.com/motorcycli...eaction-crash/

Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:01 AM   #55
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Sadly, motorcycle fatalites and serious injuries are a regular occurence here in the Sf Bay area as they are in most urban areas. Riding motorcycles is inherently risky and unfortunately if the rider does not take steps to mitigate thier risks they will likely become another statisitic. Intelligent motorcyclists manage their risks by riding skillfully and defensively and wearing adequate, high quality protective gear. They also recognize that every second of every ride they need to be viligant and prepared to act to keep themselves safe.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:27 AM   #56
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

It's a common occurrence to see a fatality thursday morning since bike night here in Houston is on Wednesday night. Most of these accidents were due to speed related and riders unable to control their bikes in that situation.