ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
hubcapbandit
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250 (Yellow!)

Locked out of my car today.

Running around this morning taking care of the rest of the paperwork for my new (to me) bike, I went to the UPS store to get the bill of sale notarized. I noticed that it didn't have the mileage written down on it, so I ducked back into the car to jot that down really quick, then went into the store. Coming back out, I was searching for my keys in my pockets. No dice. Looked inside the car, there they are on the passenger seat.

I waited about a half hour before I sent a text to my still-sleeping wife (due to my embarrassment), who then woke up a half hour later to reply. Mind you it was about 95 degrees out. She got hold of her mom who then picked me up an hour later and took me home so I could get my wife's keys, etc.

But yeah, annoying. Not to mention it was 95 degrees out today and I was in jeans and a sort of heavier t-shirt. bleh. I thought I had worked through this whole "locked my keys in the car" when I first started driving, haha. ah well.
hubcapbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2
kkim

how did you lock the door w/o having the keys in your hand?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
how did you lock the door w/o having the keys in your hand?
I'm gonna guess....with the "lock" button on the door...

Old July 16th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #4
kkim

...then he shouldn't do that.

I learned years ago to only use the key/fob to lock my car no matter what kind of lame, lazy ass ways car companies have thought up to "help" us out by giving us a "trick" way to lock our cars w/o using the key. They all have logic flaws and can lead to just this scenario.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
I'm gonna guess....with the "lock" button on the door...
What lock button on the door? There are lock buttons on the doors now? What the frigin hell?

Anyway, my '87 mazda rx-7 used to have this feature where if you locked the door THEN slammed the door shut, the door would automatically unlock....thereby preventing you from doing something idiotic like leaving your keys inside the car while you inattentively slammed the door shut while locked.

I'm surprised that this feature hasn't been carried over...despite all of the advances with keyless entry and all that jazz.....
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #6
hubcapbandit
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250 (Yellow!)

haha yeah, I had sat the keys on the passenger seat while I was writing in the mileage on the BoS. locked the door before I shut it, and WHUMP. locked out.

I have an '06 Honda Element, and it'll unlock the doors automatically provided the key is still in the ignition. I wasn't that lucky
hubcapbandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Our commodores, well from VT onwards have this feature that won't let you push the lock down on the drivers side unless the door is shut.
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #8
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

my old 911 driver side door could not be locked from the inside or out unless the door was shut. simple and effective

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #9
KTRacing38
2010 250 Cup Champion

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R and 2007 Honda CR150F

I locked the keys of a rental car in the trunk of the car not too long ago. Man did that suck! I'm used to keyless entry on my car and never thought twice about where the keys were when I closed the trunk. If only I had unlocked the doors first... silly.
KTRacing38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #10
shadowskater
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Lol, same thing happened to be just a couple days ago. I have never locked my keys in my truck but sure enough it caught me. Reason being that my passenger door's actuator is on its way out and its response to the locking signal will not pull the lock all the way down, so it usually takes around 2-3 locks to get it down, so always when exiting the vehicle I will hit the lock button multiple times, then close the door and hit the lock on the keyfob. This time I was doing something awkward right as I parked and forgot the keys on the way out. Luckily I was at a friends house and after traffic died down he took me back to my house to get the spare.
shadowskater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #11
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I keep two separate key sets, one for just the car, and one for everything else. Extra keys and stuff on the car set would wear out the ignition switch prematurely. I keep a spare door key on the main key set, which I end up using maybe once a year. I can also lock the car with it running, and for grins I occasionally toss the car set into the trunk and lock it when I'm transporting a passenger who doesn't know me that well. The look on their face, borderline WTF+panic, is always priceless.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #12
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

DIY - How to keep from being locked out of your car!

Get an extra key made, preferably an all metal one, i.e. no rubber or plastic head! Try the key in the door, in order to be sure that it works!

Now, using a file or grinder cut the ears (the "XXXX's" in the attached picture)
off. Go to the front of your car and look for a wiring loom hanging down. You want a loom that is convenient to reach, just in case you need to eventually use this key! Using electrical tape, place the key along side the wiring loom and wrap the key and the loom together, thus hiding the key. Wrap it a few times and then rub some dirt on the new tape, so that it looks like the original loom or pretty close.

I have done this with all my cars and it has saved my Wife numerous times!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key.JPG (6.7 KB, 8 views)
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

sucks, thats happened to me many a times. I actually locked myself out of my apartment all the time, the last time i locked myself out, I went to the back to jump in through the window, and my neighbor walks up to me...i should add that my neighbor is mentally disabled so our conversation was pretty fun...

neighbor: what are you doing?
me: oh i locked myself out and am trying to get in through the window to open the door.
neighbor: you know what i do to make sure i don't lock myself out
me: (very interested in some guidence here)...what?
neighbor: i make sure i have my keys with me when i walk out the door.
me: *puzzled look on my face* um...ya...thanks.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #14
bikeguy57
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1974 CB360 2008 Black 250 Ninja

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Get an extra key made, preferably an all metal one, i.e. no rubber or plastic head! Try the key in the door, in order to be sure that it works!

Now, using a file or grinder cut the ears (the "XXXX's" in the attached picture)
off. Go to the front of your car and look for a wiring loom hanging down. You want a loom that is convenient to reach, just in case you need to eventually use this key! Using electrical tape, place the key along side the wiring loom and wrap the key and the loom together, thus hiding the key. Wrap it a few times and then rub some dirt on the new tape, so that it looks like the original loom or pretty close.

I have done this with all my cars and it has saved my Wife numerous times!
This is the coolest idea I have seen in a long time!!! Thanks
bikeguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

or you can get one of those magnet key holders and put your key in and have it under your car somewhere inconspecious (sp?)

like this one...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=109349185

or you can use this...this has a code.

http://preparedness.com/geseacstloke.html
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
neighbor: i make sure i have my keys with me when i walk out the door.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote