ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 25th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #1
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Cold weather gear

Perhaps not the most popular subject, riding in the cold, but it has not gotten above 15 Celsius (60F) all spring here in Labrador. I sometimes look like the Michelin man when I go for a ride. Now I'm a cross country skier and get out in temperatures below -20 Celsius but I'm just as cold sometimes on the bike. So the question is what kind of cold weather. really cold weather, gear do folks use.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #2
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Thermals would be a good starting point, then just layer up. Use a neck warmer, and cotton/silk liner gloves inside your leather ones. A skull cap/beanie would also help keep the noggin warm.

Forgot to add heated grips.

Father: You can't do both son.

Last futzed with by miks; May 25th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

15 C is nice n warm!

Does your riding jacket have any vents?
If so make sure they are closed, or if its perforated leather it would probably be best to just invest in a textile jacket.
Even with a proper liner in the jacket perforated leather jackets can be real cold.
The textile jacket could also double as rain gear for you depending on which jacket it is.
Then textile pants will also keep your legs nicely warm if you wear jeans under them.
You can find nice winter riding gloves from a few companies.
A round up of some winter gloves here,
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cle-gloves.htm

Otherwise it's all about the layers, miks summed it up nicely.
And another thing you could always look into if you plan on riding in even colder weather, is heated gear.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Perhaps not the most popular subject, riding in the cold, but it has not gotten above 15 Celsius (60F) all spring here in Labrador. I sometimes look like the Michelin man when I go for a ride. Now I'm a cross country skier and get out in temperatures below -20 Celsius but I'm just as cold sometimes on the bike. So the question is what kind of cold weather. really cold weather, gear do folks use.
I like to use a car when it gets real cold. You know a 4 wheeled vehicle with windows and a heater.

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Mista Bob
Über n00b

What is this car you speak of? I am not familiar with this concept.

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

i've found that even when it's not raining, I use the waterproof liners in the cold - they do a great job of keeping the wind out and keeping me warm. I've ridden as low as 1*C, but that was my limit, and I won't do it again, as I didn't trust the tires at all, and am still not confident in them after that experience. I had my leather jacket, and extra vest liner, a hoodie and an under armor shirt, with jeans, under armor leggings, and my riding pants. Also wore a thick pair of socks with my boots, and two thin glove liners. The other important bit is the protection for your neck. I wear an ear wrap upside down so the front is under my chin, and have my do-rag thing to keep my hair tamer, along with the wind skirt on my helmet. I won't claim to be roasting dressed like that, but I was passably warm at least.
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Mista Bob
Über n00b

For the neck I use a balaclava that covers the head and neck area, works great.
Also helps to reduce fogging greatly when riding in cold temps.

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Electrically heated gear can be very effective as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

+1 for all the above posts. It's not all that bad under 10 degrees as long as you have the right gloves, a balaclava, and preferably a merino wool underlayer. Most of the time it's just the toes and fingers that get cold cause the balaclava should stop the draft from coming in the neck.

Best thing I can recommend are the Joe Rocket Nitrogen gloves - amazing and fully waterproof - thermolite insulation, gel palm, and a wiper blade thing on both thumbs. That with a helly hansen warm and a hoodie is good enough till 0 degrees.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Well, I'll ask........ Were the hell is Labrador ??? I tried google, it just came up with dogs...
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #11
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Talking

Ooook this michigan Rider hasnt ridden in 'Winter' temps yet... but like 2 weeks ago.....

i got up for work, geared up and let my Bike warm up for bout 10mins. It was 37 degrees outside @ 5:40am (high would later be like 71 LOL)

I rode for like 10.5 - 11 miles one way too work! At varies 55-60 MPH!

By the time i got there, my Hands were pretty Chilled (Warm temp Gloves), but not too bad.

Now my NECK at times (burst of wind) would get alil Chilly. (ill look into getting a Neophrene Ski mask, they have nice coverage of the Whole Head, Neck, etc... too wear under the helmet/jacket coller!

So the Rest of me was nice and Warm!

My Gear i wear is:

Scorpion EXO Hattrick Jacket (RED)
(textile jacket, waterproof, 2 inner liners)

It works Great for 4 seasons, but Are you gonna Ride in 6" of SNOW too work? lol
*Only CON is the neck/coller area allows some Cold air in sometimes, youll need something over your Neck area too Combat this in Cold weather riding!

Scorpion EXO Deuce Riding Pant (black)
(textile pant, waterproof, 1 inner liner)

Scorpion EXO 400 helmet
w/ *Everclear* Visor DOESNT FOG!!!

Alpinestars SP-X sport riding Gloves (RED)
*Carbon fiber Knuckles* Their NOT for Cold temps, LOL

ICON Accelerant Riding Boot (Black)
(Waterproof, anti-slip sole) They Work, Flat out! Their Also pretty comfy, if your walking around for like 2 Hrs, then you feet will start too hurt... but heh

Ive Ridden in a Mass Thunderstorm while on my way too my brothers in Mt. Clemens Mi. I rode in light rain, POURING Rain, Med Rain.... all during a contesnt 40-50min Period! Once i got to his place, and took off my Gear... i was Shocked that i was DRY! no **** ppl. Some areas of my skin was very very very slightly like a pin drop Damp, but i dunno if that was Due too me Riding in Hot weather b4 the T-storm came, but im Very HAPPY with Scorpions Gear so Far!!! Id rec. their stuff and Icons Boots too Anyone!

www.ScorpionUSA.com
check out their 2009 spring catalog!

Also you can visit my fav store too buy (local) their stuff from: www.sportbiketrackgear.com

Enjoy!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #12
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

For winter riding first I don’t ride if the over night temperature has been below 0˚ C as there is a risk of black ice.
The minimum temperature is +2˚C I then have a pair of long johns and a pair of PULP snowboarding trousers and Akito boots. For the top I have a Gore Tex jacket (Mammut Swiss made) with removable lining which was designed for skiing and climbing, a pair of Darts winter gloves. My BMW system 5 helmet does not need any extra help in keeping my head warm, you just have to buy the double glassed visor to prevent misting up and that’s it.

Steve

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #13
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Well, I'll ask........ Were the hell is Labrador ??? I tried google, it just came up with dogs...

Look up... look way up and on to the east coast of Canada, above the island of Newfoundland, you'll find Labrador. It's approximately the size of New Zealand with a population of 30,000. Along with the island it forms the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Great winters and surprisingly warm but short summers.

Thanks for the cold weather gear info. I've gotten a neck warmer and a skull cap from my skiing kit and a pair of leather snowmobile mitts along with lots of layers of insulation under my mesh jacket, then a windbreaker over that. Has anyone got that wind resistant underwear I've seen on some websites?
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #14
SteveL
old git

“Has anyone got that wind resistant underwear I've seen on some websites?”

May be a bit dangerous if you suffer from gas.

Steve

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
“Has anyone got that wind resistant underwear I've seen on some websites?”

May be a bit dangerous if you suffer from gas.

Steve
What octane gas you talking about?

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #16
SteveL
old git

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
What octane gas you talking about?
The sort generated by a Thai green curry has almost spontaneous ignition.

Steve

Old May 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #17
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Look up... look way up and on to the east coast of Canada, above the island of Newfoundland, you'll find Labrador. It's approximately the size of New Zealand with a population of 30,000. Along with the island it forms the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Great winters and surprisingly warm but short summers.

Thanks for the cold weather gear info. I've gotten a neck warmer and a skull cap from my skiing kit and a pair of leather snowmobile mitts along with lots of layers of insulation under my mesh jacket, then a windbreaker over that. Has anyone got that wind resistant underwear I've seen on some websites?

a Euro Company, KNOX Armor, makes a Line of 'Cold Killers' underlayer gear, not just for motorcyclist, but i havent bought or tried anything of theirs yet!

This place sells them www.sportbiketrackgear.com
their website also has a YOUTUBE video talking/showing nearly Every item they Sell online! Give em a look!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote