ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 4th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #1
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Go Pro HERO motorsports camera

My HERO motorsports camera has just been shipped any one else using one of these any tips

Steve

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
My HERO motorsports camera has just been shipped any one else using one of these any tips

Steve
The regular or the HD version?
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #3
SteveL
old git

The HD one.

Steve

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #4
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

steve please post a sample when you get it, i've been thinking about picking one of these up. i was almost sold after watching the surfing video on the homepage, but would like to see some real world motorcycle action.

Old August 4th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Okay. Just a couple of hints:

1. Do NOT use the suction cup to mount the camera to the bike. The only real viable place to use the suction cup on the bike is on the gas tank, and it will vibrate like crazy (and it will show up in your footage).

2. Use the waterproof door (it's the one that's installed on the housing by default).

3. I mounted my camera on my helmet using one of the curved adhesive bases.

4. You will need to purchase a SD/SDHC card to hold your videos (there's no built in storage). One of the reasons why I haven't taken much more footage is because I only have an 8GB SDHC class 3 card, and I'm waiting on a good deal for the 32GB SDHC cards. 8GB will get you about 40 minutes of recording time.

5. Movies are stored in the MP4 container. You'll find that Macs will have a slightly easier time with movie editing than the Windows machines.

For example of footage, check the link in my signature.

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #6
SteveL
old git

I ordered a 32Gig card and a handle bar mount so should be OK delivery is foreseen for Monday
I am using UBUNTU on a HP mini so I suppose it will work.
Steve

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post
Okay. Just a couple of hints:

1. Do NOT use the suction cup to mount the camera to the bike. The only real viable place to use the suction cup on the bike is on the gas tank, and it will vibrate like crazy (and it will show up in your footage).
Really???

Link to original page on YouTube.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #8
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

I've used the suction cup mount before on my tank without any issues. Didn't really notice a lot of vibration.

Other tip: Make sure the settings are correct before you start to record. Twice now mine has been on camera instead of video (very hard to see IMO) and instead of ending up with a cool video at the end of my ride, I ended up with one picture from the beginning of the ride.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Really???
Really.

I've got a big pile of footage that I took that was totally worthless because of the vibrations. The camera was literally rattling around and you can literally see the vibration on the video.

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
yes, really. if you look at your vid, you can see what is called the "jello" effect of the bike's vibration in your vid.

I have a HD GP and use the camera only mounted to my helmets for this very reason.

I use the open back for speeds under 50mph. Put a small band aid over the mic on the camera to attenuate the sound level/wind noise. I also almost seal the back of the open back with some clear duct tape to isolate the sound even further. Keeping it open just a bit helps prevent fogging in the case interior/lens when riding from temp/elevation extremes.

Also, be very careful what SD card you purchase. Certain ones will work and others won't. I bought an Adata 16G class 6 card that would not work. Ended up w/ a 16G Patriot class 6 card that works great!

I love the camera...

good info here...
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post

Other tip: Make sure the settings are correct before you start to record. Twice now mine has been on camera instead of video (very hard to see IMO) and instead of ending up with a cool video at the end of my ride, I ended up with one picture from the beginning of the ride.
I hate that too!
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
I have this problem, too, and this happens when you push the power button for too long on start up. I actually push the power button and hold it in till I count to 3. Any longer and the camera will power up and then switch to the next setting/mode, which is the camera mode.

Old August 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujyu View Post

2. Use the waterproof door (it's the one that's installed on the housing by default).
1. I have never had a problem with the suction cup on the tank, side fairing, even helmet with vibrations, and this is on a Ninjette and D675

2. If wind is not too bad I have found the vented back gives a better sound (IMO the waterproof one sounds like you are riding under water.)

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, really. if you look at your vid, you can see what is called the "jello" effect of the bike's vibration in your vid.[/url]
You paid $300 for a camera, it won't be perfect. No camera mounted to a bike at high speeds will be perfect. A little "jello effect" as you call it is normal, even for higher end cameras. I have yet to see an affordable camera that can dial it out 100%. If you want it dialed out, be prepared to spend some cash or create a very elaborate mounting device. Granted I could mount it to my helmet, but then you don't get a true view of your line.

I guess I'm just not all that picky. As long as you can see what is going on and see it clearly, it is fine to me. It doesn't have to look like something out of a movie; we are not professional cinematographers.

Old August 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #15
kkim

if it doesn't bother you, fine. It bothers me, so I've found a way around it.

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well part of the reason too is I'm more afraid of the camera hanging off the side of my helmet. I don't know why either. I'm kind of paranoid about it. I'll do it on my mountain bike because that is a pretty safe place for it, not to mention you cannot see a dang thing if it is attached to the bike on a rough trail. lol

You have a video up of your helmet mount? I am curious of how smooth it is on a ride. All I've seen are the cameras mounted inside the helmets, and those are super cheap cameras, so the quality isn't there.

Old August 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #17
kkim

yep, I was paranoid about that mount letting go, too. I was very careful about placement and cleaning the helmet of all grease and dirt before I stuck it on there.

What I ended up with was a location on the side of the helmet that I can barely see the camera when I have the helmet on. That way if it goes missing, I can see that it's gone. I currently use it for making vids of the dirt bike trails and it gets bounced around pretty good and I've not had a problem with the mount letting go. Let's just say it's been crash tested many times.

That 3M adhesive they use for that mount is pretty strong, I must say.

only vid I have of the camera on the helmet... it takes some experimenting with aiming so the helmet is completely (or almost completely) out of the frame. This was one of the first times using the camera mounted to the helmet.

Old August 5th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #18
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

I've got one and it works great! I use the suction mount on my 2008 race bike, right on the speedo and it sticks wonderfully. On the tail I just use one of the included sticky mounts. I've been in two minor crashes and they've held tight.

I've had that "jello" effect but that was only when mounted to the side of the fairing on my classic race bike. And I prefer to use the open backed case on the 250. I rarely see speeds near 100mph (and that's on the track) and the open case picks up the engine/exhaust sounds so much better.

ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #19
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

apex, could you take a picture of your camera mounted to your gas tank? i tried using the suction cup mount and mine was jiggling pretty bad even though i tightened down all the knobs. just wondering why your vid looks better than mine. thanks.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #20
SteveL
old git

I received my camera and had the switching on problem (holding the ON button too long) I used the handlebar mount that I had ordered separately. So far I only have 6 ½ minutes of video as the SD card has failed, the quality of the video is excellent with no vibration, as for the sound the stock exhaust on the GSX is very quiet so all I have is the mechanical noise from the motor and a click from the gear change. When I get the SD card changed I will try the open back to see if I can get some exhaust noise on the sound track.

Steve

Old August 18th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #21
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I really want to pick up a GoPro HERO as well. They are really a great tool for track work, I just keep going through the "well that s $300 worth of track time" argument.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #22
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I really want to pick up a GoPro HERO as well. They are really a great tool for track work, I just keep going through the "well that s $300 worth of track time" argument.
just think of it as a tool to improve your riding (it does)... plus it's great entertainment to watch the vids after you're done riding. I do it all the time with the dirt bike vids I have. It's a sobering reminder of what went wrong during a crash and how to avoid getting yourself into that position in the future.

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #23
SteveL
old git

So here is the link to the first use of the GoPro camera only 6 minutes due to a technical problem I was using the handlebar mount which will not work on a 250R except on the bar ends. The video was made with the closed housing no exhaust noise is heard only motor and transmission; I have since used the open back to the housing but with no improvement as the exhaust is so quiet you just don’t hear it.

Steve

Last futzed with by Alex; September 17th, 2010 at 04:57 AM. Reason: embedded the video
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #24
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

steve, that was pretty good from the part i watched. yeah your bike is really quiet, huh?

i have purchased the chest strap mount. i have only used it once so far. the view angle is perfect (as long as i stay basically upright of course). i had the open back case cover and the wind noise was really bad at higher speeds. i am going to try again with the closed back case cover for the next time i use it.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote