Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
almost got taken out by a honda rebel.

some guy looking like he just bought the thing driving it like its a car stumbles on some traffic on the high-way and quickly destroys the rebel by side/rear-ending one car while trying to change lanes (looking backwards- guy in front stopped), smashing into another car in the next lane and then spining/sliding into a 3rd in again the next lane, almost hitting me last. we were doing about 50ish with the traffic. now that i think back, i'm sure I almost got rear-ended from the guy behind me having to slam on his brakes to avoid the whole mess (which at this point took up all 3 lanes of traffic)

guy looked like he broke his arm pretty bad... maybe leg too. but looked like he was alright relatively speaking. the rebel was toast. he came within about a foot of getting run over by a soccer mom in a expedition.

felt bad for the guy. cause of accident: following too closely combined with too slow of a look. (why do car drivers take 10 seconds looking to the side??) plus the guy was just being wreckless... changing lanes all around when he easily could have safely lane-split.

unfortunately my cam wasn't running! so no crash vids.

thank my lucky stars, I escaped completely untouched. (minus the tragic emotional scaring... that poor bike!) but anyway i just wanted to post this not as one of those guys that posts on forums telling newbees that they need to respect the road, and stop deluding themselves that they're invincible or that they're rossi, no. I post to try and persuade my fellow squids to PLEASE. stop destroying perfectly good bikes.

on the plus he had some fancy exhaust that made that little rebel sound NICE before he destroyed it. should have asked him about it.

respect your bikes everyone. they can take you a lot of different places. some of those places, you don't want to go.

edit: sorry alex, i guess this is really a ride-report isn't it?

Old March 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Glad to hear your ok. I hope the other rider is alright, sounds like he's very lucky to be alive.

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #3
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I post to try and persuade my fellow squids to PLEASE. stop destroying perfectly good bikes.
Well said sir!
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

I just got the bike out of the shed this weekend, no battery tender or fuel stabilizer. It sat there since mid November, no problems starting it up this weekend. The point being that it has me thinking about the start of last season, all the crash reports we had on here. Hopefully the new riders have better luck this time around.

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

that's crazy..hope he's ok
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #6
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Everyone should be out taking it easy. Spring road conditions + people driving faster and more reckless due to sunny weather should make every rider more cautious.

Stay safe and keep the sunny side up!

Sounds like the new rider learned a valuable lesson the hard way. Hopefully more read this thread and don't make the same mistake.

Old March 17th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvninja View Post
Everyone should be out taking it easy. Spring road conditions + people driving faster and more reckless due to sunny weather should make every rider more cautious.
What are these "spring road conditions" you speak of? I haven't stopped riding yet except for that week we had some heavy humidity falling in January.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote