Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old March 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

12 hour ride in 30 degree weather

Hi folks! Just got my first bike... a 2007 Ninja 250

It's a blast, and I just couldn't wait till "summer" (haha). Here in Pittsburgh it's been miserably cold, and well... That still won't stop me.

I've been riding every day since I got it for at least about an hour, and when I picked it up in Moon township, the dealer was even like "dude, do you have a truck?" NOPE. Rode it home. First bike ever, riding at 8pm in 21 degree weather haha.

Well anyhow, I'll be posting pics of it soon once I get it nice and shiny, but I rode like a maniac today. I woke up at 6, and rode from 7am (about 26 degrees degrees), till about 7:15 tonight, only stopping twice for roughly 20-30 minutes to eat/etc.

I was really geared/bundled up, and while I don't have legit winter riding gear yet, my makeshift stuff turned out really warm (as well as the heat from my bike helping). The main cold part of my was my knees honestly, which got a little on the numb side by the time I got inside lol.

Just wanted to share my crazy first week with my new bike (that I LOVE) with you guys :P
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm honestly glad you love it, but I still think you crazy

It just gets better when it's warm outside and you can open up the vents on your gear and feel the breeze and its sunny and beautiful.

now for questions.

Have all your gear?
Taken the MSF course?

Have fun. Congrats. You've caught the bug that all the rest of us already have.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Sixringz
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I'm from Pittsburgh, and I didn't wanna stand outside let alone ride haha. I like to ride when it's cold, just can't get the job done with frozen fingers haha. More power to you tho!
Sixringz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

Awesome Did you pick up the one in Philly?

Did you ride the Trnpk most of the way or backroads home?

Something to be said about doing long rides in the winter, you can always remember the experience and nothing (or almost nothing) can be harder than what you've already experienced.

I ride with non-moto specific gear in the wintertime, staying warm is priority so you can actually control your vehicle to be safe.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

To answer everyone:

Chris - Yeah, I have all of my gear, but had to wear a non-street jacket because mine is a mesh one for the summer. My leather jacket is thin, but I had about 3 layers under it too. I also passed the MSF course with aplomb (not saying I'm special or anything). I got asked by almost every person what kind of bikes I have and if I race etc because I wasn't afraid to lean the bike or take turns without really bogging down. I'm not saying I'm experienced or a pro by far, but their compliments really boosted my confidence
I also was asked by the teachers if I wanted to take the teaching course and help with the classes

Andy - yeah, it's pretty darn cold haha. I have super awful circulation in my hands, and my fingers are ALWAYS the first thing to go numb, so I try to cover that first (two pairs of gloves). Thank goodness I have fairly thin, but warm, gloves to layer, cause I know they would have been popsicles.

A - No, I didn't get the Philly bike, but I was so tempted. I kept pulling up your area's Clist and stuff because I have family in the NJ/Philly area and figured I'd make it a weekend, but it was just too cold for me to want to risk the ride and fatigue. I ended up finding my bike at a dealership about 10 miles away, and while it wasn't the lowest price ever, I got some pretty nice deals on it. I'll probably write a post about my finds and see what you guys think (if it was a good buy). I also agree that there is NO better story about a first bike being ridden in freezing temperatures on a highway haha. You know.. unless you jump it haha.

I had to take a few baby steps though. I rode it from the dealership to a Burger King about 1/4th of a mile away. Shook out my initial nervousness, then rode around the parking lot doing tight turns and playing with the gears (it was attached to a shopping plaza, so there was lots of room). My girlfriend came with me so I could at least have her making sure nothing was up on me. It was really dark by this time too lol. Then I rode it back down the hill to the bridge leading to the highway, and I just waved "let's go" and gave a thumbs up lol. I stopped us at a gas station off a ramp about half way, cause I knew she was low, and then we just finished the ride out.

Best part were the people's faces alongside me hehe... but better yet...

I'm 2 blocks from home, and a cop pulls next to me at the red light.

"Man... you're f***ing nuts... You couldn't catch me dead riding on my cruiser in this weather"

I flip up my visor and say "Thanks, it's my first bike, and first time riding this bike!"

he just laughed and gave a thumbs up haha.

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #6
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Congrats on the new bike! Sounds like you are having a ton of fun with it.

Makes me jealous hearing how you toughed it out in the cold. I need way warmer gloves to travel any length of time in below 40s degree temps.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #7
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Let the addiction begin

Congratulations on your new drug.......er, bike.

Old March 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #8
"A"
vampire

Cool

I remember the days that I didn't care for temp. outside.. soon you'll be doing the same:

Old March 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Those pics are awesome A! That's some radical winter driving! Have you ever ridden the pregen in snow?

Old March 27th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #10
"A"
vampire

You mean when I first got it 2 months ago:

When I had to dig out from this, no snowblower even, all cardio baby:

Old March 27th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

you're the man

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #12
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Heck yea! Well done!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You must really love that ninja dude. It was 35 out today so I figured heck if Mekkakat can do it, so can I. wrong. I was back home in 40 minutes and gulping down hot chocolate and sitting on the heating vent. Either I'm a wuss or you're just extra-warm-blooded

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #14
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You must really love that ninja dude. It was 35 out today so I figured heck if Mekkakat can do it, so can I. wrong. I was back home in 40 minutes and gulping down hot chocolate and sitting on the heating vent. Either I'm a wuss or you're just extra-warm-blooded
I think it's just my excitement of finally owning a bike :P

My neighbor doesn't have his own car, just a bike, and when his girlfriend takes her car and he has no way there, he'd ride his bike.

So last night, he's coming out of his apartment and goes "dude.. I'm glad I found you. What are you doing?"

- "nothing?"

"We're going for a ride."

We rode about 12 miles to his work around 7:30 at night (about 27 degrees), got his paycheck, rode about half way back before he made us turn into a parking lot and he looks at me pulling my gloves and helmet off-

"Alright... I need a break... and I'm buying you something warm to eat... I'm worried that there's something wrong with you and why you aren't cold".

If anything, I'm worried I'l fry come *actual* summer haha.

Old March 29th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #15
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Yeah the MSF course was a lot of fun, they asked me to teach as well but i declined. TO MUCH work! I plan on taking the advanced course the summer for kicks.

I don't ride in this weather. My tires are not made for cold weather, they are the equivalent to a summer ultra performance tire for a car.

Old March 29th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #16
maraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green Ninja 250r

Great stuff! Last fall I rode -1, -2 degree's celcius (28-30 farenheit) to work 3-4 times a week in the morning. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm waiting on a new battery + tires that I ordered, I'd be out there right now even in the 25-30 farenheit temps

enjoy the summer!
maraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #17
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I love to hear about people riding in the winter. Riding should be done all year. Glad you are having fun with your new ride!
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
What're you doing?
nothing.
we're going for a ride.

hahaha thats awesome

Old March 30th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #19
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Mekkakat,

I'm also finding myself riding around in the frosty Michigan weather. I got my bike in December, so she hasn't really been out and about. Now that the roads are clear, I commute about 40 minutes and back everyday in the 30 degree weather. My favorite part about riding in this weather is the looks you get. And my favorite question, "Did you ride your bike in today?". No, I drive my car with a helmet on. Just imagine how glorious it's going to be in a couple of months. Keep on keeping on brother!
pugs24 is offline   Reply With Quote