ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1
sparmek
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jeff

Motorcycle(s): '93 ninja 250ex

power loss - mid to high rpms/bike newb

Hi all I'm having problems with my 250ex and cant find the symptoms anywhere else, hoping someone here can help. Now I'm a complete newbie to motorcycles so please speak idiot to me.

First off I just bought the bike in mid Aug from a private seller,its a 93 ninja 250ex completely stock 13xxx mi or so, and it ran great for a month or so. Two weird things happened the first month but i had just chocked it up to it being an old cranky bike. First after the bike was warm it's idle would range between 1500rpms to 5000rpms (I know now that's not good, but like I said I'm a newb). Second riding to work on the freeway (70-75mph) in the rain and cold, also the first time i had taken it in the rain, the rpms started going down just like if i had run out of fuel I got to the side of the road and it died, i knew it wasn't empty so i tried turning it over a couple times and after about 10-15 sec it started back up and was fine, no problem the rest of the day.

Now the real issue I'm having happened 2 days after the freeway dying episode, i started it up and started driving towards home and noticed it had no power at the mid to high rpm range and had slightly less in the lower range. Now this was such a loss that i couldn't go over 35 mph if i pulled back on the throttle quickly it seemed to "bog down" and start to die if i did it gradually it surged and vary slowly got to 40 mph and that was it. after a bout 20 miles of this all the sudden i had almost all the power back, but i could feel it not accelerate as fast as it did before. The next morning i tried again and it was back to the no mid to high range power and that's where I'm at now. the weird thing is that in neutral i can pull back on the throttle and it revs just fine all the way to red line with no hesitation. I first though it was carbs and took it to a local shop and had them clean them out. when i got it back it did the same thing and supposedly they went through the carbs twice. I'm stuck I've tried simple stuff at home like emptying the gas out and putting in a different brand and octane, oil change, staring at the bike for hours, nothing helps. Any help would be appreciated, and again talk to me like I'm an idiot please it maybe something extremely simple, thank you again.
sparmek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
is your choke on?

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Do you have a history of its' maintenance? When was a valve adjustment last done on it?

Did all the vacuum hoses get properly re-attached when you had them cleaned? That about the choke cable? the intake boots? check for leaks. Were the carbs synced after being cleaned?

check that the diaphragms in your carbs didn't get torn.

check the operation of the petcock to ensure that it isn't starving the engine of fuel

helpful link here

another helpful link

service schedule here

hope this give you some help on this. it's at least something to start on...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Carbs's venturis tend to ice up in cold wet environments at certain throttle positions, which can cause very strange symptoms.
Is it like that first thing in the morning, or only after you ride it a while?

Old December 1st, 2011, 06:59 PM   #5
sparmek
ninjette.org newbie

no the chokes not on ( of course after its warmed up) i don't know what kind of service has been done the seller didn't have any thing for me, though it seems to be well maintained. i would guess the carbs were synched but ill double check it. one of the air box- carb rubber boots is missing and that was there before i took it to the shop. the intake boots are good though(i think). petcock is messed up but its not starving for fuel. it has a messed up gasket that lets fuel through no matter what setting you have it on(on,off,res). as far as the ice goes i don.t think that's it its cold out here but i would think the bike would run fine when its 50f out also the symptoms are worse during warm up after that its the same as i described. thank you for the ideas! please if any one has anything else to add, do it.

Old December 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparmek View Post
one of the air box- carb rubber boots is missing and that was there before i took it to the shop. t
Well that would explain the power loss if that means what I think it means. Would you mind taking a picture of it for us? if there's a carb boot missing, thats going to let in tons of air and make the mix really lean and lose power, but I just want to make sure we're talking about the same part.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

A missing boot from the airbox to the carb will not only cause the problems you've listed, but will also destroy the engine by getting dirt into the cylinders. Not immediately, of course, but much faster than you want. Air intake with no filters is a very bad idea.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM   #8
sparmek
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the fast response guys! now that your saying something about that rubber boot I'm smacking my head on the desk going "duh why didn't i think of that?" anyways ordered the part at the dealer and it should be here in a week, then I'll post pics and results. Thanks again!!

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #9
sparmek
ninjette.org newbie

Awsome that Carb boot was the problem! Got the new one in there and it drives like a champ. Thanks again for all the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old December 16th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote