ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Pearl White EFI

Does tire need replacing?

Came back home and noticed a wierd spot on the rear tire. Turns out theres a piece of glass stuck in it as seen in the pictures below. Looks like a very small shard of glass and the tire has not lost any pressure. The wear on the rear tire is still very low do you think the tire still needs replacing?

Pics:
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/16823...0Pics?h=dc7b93
Ranor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

looks like the glass just took a piece of your tire out. is there any more glass in there? if not, i'd say it should be fine. but you may want to wait until someone with more tire experience to chime in.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
looks like the glass just took a piece of your tire out. is there any more glass in there? if not, i'd say it should be fine. but you may want to wait until someone with more tire experience to chime in.
There is still a small piece stuck in the tire, not sure if I should try to remove it...

EDIT: If you look at the first picture that thing in the middle of the hole is the piece of glass, it didn't really show very clearly in the pictures for some reason.

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

in that case, it probably be safer to just replace the tire. but, like i said, you may want a second opinion. esp if they have more experience with tires than i do.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Lew360
Bueller

Name: Lewis

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

If you pull the glass out and it still holds air it should be fine. If it won't hold air it has probably damaged the cords and needs to be replaced. You could plug it, but i wouldn't chance it,
Lew360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I would always recommend being safe than sorry with a motorcycle tire, but are those the stock tires? If so you should really consider upgrading to some pirellis anywho.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I would always recommend being safe than sorry with a motorcycle tire, but are those the stock tires? If so you should really consider upgrading to some pirellis anywho.
They are the stock tires, but considering the amount of thread left on them I would hate to discard them prematurely. I will probably first try to pry the small shard of glass out of the tire. Am I correct in thinking that if i take the piece of glass out and there is not a leak the tire is perfectly safe?

Old April 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Ranor
ninjette.org member

Small Update: Cant seem to get the shard of glass out of the tire it's too small and if i try to nab it with some needle nose pliers it goes in deeper not sure what to do next. I put some soapy water on it and still no bubbles are showing up. I'm thinking of just riding it to the shop and getting it replaced :/ thats like a 25 mile ride since it's not really leaking it should be fine for that long

Old April 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM   #9
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Looks like there's a good depth of thread there, you tested it & saw no bubbles so it should be ok. keep an eye on the pressure, if it holds I wouldn't rush out to buy new tyres just yet (upgrade if you had planned to).
Small chunks of glass tend to break/be ground off rather than dig in deeper
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:16 AM   #10
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranor View Post
They are the stock tires, but considering the amount of thread left on them I would hate to discard them prematurely. I will probably first try to pry the small shard of glass out of the tire. Am I correct in thinking that if i take the piece of glass out and there is not a leak the tire is perfectly safe?
It's probably safe by the looks and sounds of it. The only reason I would highly recommend replacing it is what IF it isn't? A blowout at speed is probably something low on your wants list. The stock tires really are awful to begin with so you'd benefit from a swap in the first place. Seems like all signs point to replace!.. but you probably don't HAVE to
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I got lucky a few weeks ago & pulled a nail out of my front tire and it's still at the same pressure it was then. But....if I hadn't removed it, it would continue to get pushed further in until it penetrated the inner liner, and then...there goes the air.

I know it feels like a waste, but get rid of that tire. After dodging that bullet, I pulled another nail out of my rear, and it started leaking. So...a practically new OEM tire went into the trash.

Yours COULD be fine, but what if it isn't? It could really go either way...be ground down as the tire wears, or get driven in further. I don't believe it'll lead to a blowout, but it could very easily lead to a dangerously low tire while riding. It's just not worth it.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote