ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #201
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

When i got my bike a few months ago i only got the bare minimum of 20/40/10 with the plan of upping it once i paid the plan off for the year, and just made my last payment the other day. I opened up the forum today to see what was going on and seen this thread and forgot i was going to increase my limits, so i went to progessive's site and increased it from 20/4/10 to 250/500/100 for $39 bux for the next 8 months of coverage for the policy. To be honest i should have made those amounts at the time of getting my policy cause my sister was in a car accident and her medical bills were over 100k and climbing with no end in sight for the near future.
I can control the things i do, but i cannot control the things others do.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #202
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

That's probably a move in the right direction, but keep in mind that those 250/500/100 numbers have very little to do with what you would receive for your own medical coverage if you were injured in an accident. Those numbers are liability limits for what your policy would pay out to someone else that is injured in an accident you are involved with. Make sure that you have appropriate limits for your own Uninsured/Underinsured coverage, if you are expecting that policy to cover your own medical costs when the other driver's does not. Of course - if you already have sufficient medical coverage on another policy, there's no benefit to upping your coverage and costs through vehicle insurance.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #203
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
One thing to keep in mind is if any motorcycle policies offer medical. Found out that while my auto has a decent medical coverage, my bike does not. SF doesn't even offer it. So..... Yeah, hopefully my employer medical covers it.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #204
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Thanks to this thread I just raised my coverage limits, added uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and added a small medical payments coverage. I had originally signed up for the cheapest possible insurance after shopping a few companies. I wound up switching companies to get a reasonable rate for the higher coverage. It was crazy what the difference was from one company to another at different coverage levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
One thing to keep in mind is if any motorcycle policies offer medical. Found out that while my auto has a decent medical coverage, my bike does not. SF doesn't even offer it. So..... Yeah, hopefully my employer medical covers it.
I haven't signed up for Medical Payments on any of my auto policies, but on the motorcycle policy it says it covers me even while I'm not operating the motorcycle, for example as a pedestrian. When I used to be on the bicycle forums people would mention having medical payments coverage on their car to cover them while they were operating bicycles. Might talk with the auto policy provider to find out what situations the med payments might cover other than in an insured auto. I'm guessing they'd exclude motorcycles, but it's a weird business and every company seems to do things a little different.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #205
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

bump...

Old February 25th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #206
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

Thanks to this thread I just maxed out my insurance policy and now feel 100% confident riding in shorts and flip-flops.

I still wear sweet wraparound sunglass though because i don't have vision coverage.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 26th, 2015, 01:42 AM   #207
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjunk View Post
Thanks to this thread I just maxed out my insurance policy and now feel 100% confident riding in shorts and flip-flops.

I still wear sweet wraparound sunglass though because i don't have vision coverage.
Make sure you max out accessory coverage so you can replace those shades just in case.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #208
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

It's about that time for my renewal and I was totally caught off guard when I saw it's $150 more this year esp since my record is squeaky clean. Called up progressive to see what's up and rep said rates are going up all through SoCal. Anybody else getting this?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #209
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Shop around!! Worst case scenario: the rates are comparable.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote