ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

How much would you pay??

Hi. I'm looking at an 09 250 with 4000 miles on it. It has scuffed/ scratched up fairings, and the chain is slightly rusted. The seller is asking for $2650. Sound like a good deal? What would you offer?
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright0723 View Post
Hi. I'm looking at an 09 250 with 4000 miles on it. It has scuffed/ scratched up fairings, and the chain is slightly rusted. The seller is asking for $2650. Sound like a good deal? What would you offer?
Off the top of my head that's to much and with so little info its hard to say how much.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Mines an 09 with 4000 miles and I paid 2,700. No scratches or lay downs though. Try and talk him down because of that. tell him you have to replace the fairings for 150 each
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Seems a little high, but not ridiculous, if the rest is in good condition. I would offer 2k cash. I would not pay $2,650 if I needed a loan.

If you have patience 250 prices will drop throughout the summer. Their owners will have learned all they can and want to "upgrade".

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
shizblam
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 09 GSXR 1K

I paid 2k for an 09 w/ 2700 miles. It had been dropped but was repaired - no noticable damage. I got a slammin deal.
shizblam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:28 PM   #6
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
Mines an 09 with 4000 miles and I paid 2,700. No scratches or lay downs though. Try and talk him down because of that. tell him you have to replace the fairings for 150 each
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
Seems a little high, but not ridiculous, if the rest is in good condition. I would offer 2k cash. I would not pay $2,650 if I needed a loan.

If you have patience 250 prices will drop throughout the summer. Their owners will have learned all they can and want to "upgrade".
When do they usually start to drop, Tigerpaw? Around Mid-July - August or so? I'll offer him 2k and see what he says. He's a couple of hours away, so I don't want to make the journey if he's not reasonable (which his price doesn't seem to be from what you two are saying), especially if you think there will be some decently priced (maybe around here) soon.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizblam View Post
I paid 2k for an 09 w/ 2700 miles. It had been dropped but was repaired - no noticable damage. I got a slammin deal.
Nice. Was it already priced around there, or did you use the fact that it had been dropped to bring him down?

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Not an exact time that prices to drop. It's just that so many people view the ninjette as a beginner-only bike, and want to get something else immediately. Many buy one late spring, put on a couple hundred miles, and then sell. All bikes tend to be cheaper in late fall/winter because of non-use in cold weather states.

Craigslist usually has something decent priced in the Dayton/Cincy/Cbus/Indy area.

Do you have your motorcycle license, or are you doing MSF first?

Old June 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM   #9
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Not an exact time that prices to drop. It's just that so many people view the ninjette as a beginner-only bike, and want to get something else immediately. Many buy one late spring, put on a couple hundred miles, and then sell. All bikes tend to be cheaper in late fall/winter because of non-use in cold weather states.

Craigslist usually has something decent priced in the Dayton/Cincy/Cbus/Indy area.

Nope, not yet. I want to do MSF first if I can get into a class. Luckily my dad has a truck though, so if I find something before I get my endorsement, I'll have him pick it up!

Old June 3rd, 2013, 03:58 PM   #10
shizblam
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 09 GSXR 1K

Quote:
Nice. Was it already priced around there, or did you use the fact that it had been dropped to bring him down?
I got lucky. The bike wasn't even advertised. The lady who I bought it off of was ready to trade it in on a ninja 300. She responded to my sarcastic WTB ad on craigslist and told me she wanted 2k for hers. I met up with her a couple days later, took it for a test drive, and didn't try to talk her down on price at all. Her asking price was more than fair.

I'd offer ~$2000 for the bike (depending on the extent of the damage) If all of the fairings need replaced - it may not be worth even that. It's really hard to say what's a fair price for the bike without seeing it in person and assessing damage. Different regions have different markets.

If they won't budge on price... keep looking.
shizblam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #11
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Deal of a lifetime comes up once a week. New bikes are out. You still have time on your side.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #12
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizblam View Post
I got lucky. The bike wasn't even advertised. The lady who I bought it off of was ready to trade it in on a ninja 300. She responded to my sarcastic WTB ad on craigslist and told me she wanted 2k for hers. I met up with her a couple days later, took it for a test drive, and didn't try to talk her down on price at all. Her asking price was more than fair.

I'd offer ~$2000 for the bike (depending on the extent of the damage) If all of the fairings need replaced - it may not be worth even that. It's really hard to say what's a fair price for the bike without seeing it in person and assessing damage. Different regions have different markets.

If they won't budge on price... keep looking.
From what I can see, the fairing on the left side is slightly cracked. Just mostly scuffed. The right side is ok. I tried the 2000. He said he's wanting to stick at 2150. 150? Oh well... He's about 3 1/2 hours away anyways. Ill look for something closer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
Deal of a lifetime comes up once a week. New bikes are out. You still have time on your side.
True! It's just warming up good... I've got all summer!

Last futzed with by dwright0723; June 3rd, 2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Missed some stuff!

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:59 PM   #13
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Patience is key. Damn I should've waited to buy my bike. Ya'll are literally paying half of what I did. OP if you can find a clean one around mid 2's, I would spring for that.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
^^ this area seems to be great for sick deals. 2k is the going rate for ninjas. If he wont come down, keep shopping.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #15
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

I am gonna be selling my pregen and getting the newgen next year I hope.
I may jump on a newgen in the deep dark winter though and sell my pregen in the spring if the funds allow so.

Old June 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #16
NealWright
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
^^ this area seems to be great for sick deals. 2k is the going rate for ninjas. If he wont come down, keep shopping.
I'm going to disagree some. For one, I don't think $2000 is the going rate for a new gen. Without a doubt, you can wait and find a deal in the $2000 range. If it was, can you point me in the direction of a REAL bike, currently FOR SALE, that can TRULY be had for $2000?

If you open your search to other bikes, there are a quite a few reasonable bike advertised right now.

My advise, would be weight how much you want to wait yourself? By December, I believe you could find a new gen for $2000 (doubt much less) ... but, for a $200 difference, I'd probably opt to ride this summer too.

Thanks, Neal
NealWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I guess your right about the going rate overall. But you guys need to take advantage of the tools that are avail to shop harder.

Set up a google alert that has a url similar to the pic below and have it sent to your mobile. And don't miss out on that 2k deal because they do pop up fairly often.

Old June 4th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #18
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealWright View Post
I'm going to disagree some. For one, I don't think $2000 is the going rate for a new gen. Without a doubt, you can wait and find a deal in the $2000 range. If it was, can you point me in the direction of a REAL bike, currently FOR SALE, that can TRULY be had for $2000?

If you open your search to other bikes, there are a quite a few reasonable bike advertised right now.

My advise, would be weight how much you want to wait yourself? By December, I believe you could find a new gen for $2000 (doubt much less) ... but, for a $200 difference, I'd probably opt to ride this summer too.

Thanks, Neal
Yeah there have been quite a few pop up around 2k. Problem is if you don't jump on it quick enough, someone else will! All the one's that i've seen are gone when I contact the seller :-p

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #19
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I guess your right about the going rate overall. But you guys need to take advantage of the tools that are avail to shop harder.

Set up a google alert that has a url similar to the pic below and have it sent to your mobile. And don't miss out on that 2k deal because they do pop up fairly often.

Chris, mind giving me a quick tutorial on setting up google alerts? :-p

Old June 4th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I did one a while back here.
@Alex - seems that a odd pic has found it's way into the tut. Can you remove that pic please?

Old June 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #21
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Awesome! Thanks!

Old June 5th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #22
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

What about a '12 250 with 2k miles. No damage. Asking 3k...

Old June 6th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #23
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

I'm looking at 3 bikes. One is a 2009 that hit a deer with 12000 miles. According to seller and pic he sent, only damage is to the right side fairing, turn signal, and mirror. He's asking for $1600
The next one is a 2009 with 8000 miles, a few isolated scratches on the right side (doesn't look like its been dropped), aftermarket exhaust, and a new rear tire for $2500 obo.
The third is a 2012 with 2000 miles on it. Seller is asking $3000.

The first two are around 3- 3 1/2 hours away from me, and the last one is about 5 hours away. I really don't like the color of the last one, but the price seems awesome!

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, opinions?

Old June 6th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Wait for something closer. If you drive that far, you will feel obliged to buy something...even if it isn't what you want. A smart seller will realize he has the upper hand.

Look for serious damage on the 1st. Price out all the parts for repair.

Is their a jet kit with the exhaust on the 2nd? Bike may not run properly.

3rd sounds good, but don't get something you don't like.

Old June 6th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #25
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Got into a MSF class today as a walk- in . I tried yesterday, but there was 2 others wanting to walk in. They gave us tickets and pulled from a hat and didn't call my number. Today I was the only walk in and some guy didn't show up I'm glad because all of the classes were booked solid for the next little while.
Quote:
Wait for something closer. If you drive that far, you will feel obliged to buy something...even if it isn't what you want. A smart seller will realize he has the upper hand.

Look for serious damage on the 1st. Price out all the parts for repair.

Is their a jet kit with the exhaust on the 2nd? Bike may not run properly.

3rd sounds good, but don't get something you don't like.
Yeah, 3 hours is a bit of a haul.. 6 hours round trip is almost a work day.. Need to be patient, but I want oneeeeeee . I'm really surprised the CBUS craigslist hasn't had anything good pop up.

1st bike does have a clear title, but I'd definitely hate to go all the way there and find there is more damage than what he's telling.

Not sure about the jet kit on the 2nd. I'll have to ask.

I shouldn't say I don't like the color of the 3rd one, it's just my least favorite. None of them are BAD, but I definitely get what you are saying there. 2nd bike has the color I like the most.

Old June 7th, 2013, 03:18 AM   #26
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Got into a MSF class today as a walk- in
Great!

Old June 7th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #27
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I listed mine up for sale, now decided to just keep it after all the lowballers started emailing me and texting me. I put it up for $3600, which is on the high side but I was leaving all the accessories on it like the corbin seat, zero grav windscreen, scotts hugger and the extra rear seat with rack bolted to it and large tail bag, slip on, projekt D fender eliminator PLUS giving them all the stock parts also(which they could have sold whatever they didnt want) I think KBB is $2650 is KBB for a 09 so thats what they were offering.

The only reason I was selling I wanted a supermoto bike. so now I am just gonna keep it an pick up a cheap quad to play offroad on.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #28
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

I checked out a 08 250 with 13,000 miles on it today. All the plastics and stuff were good on it, but it looked like it may have been left outside.. Chain had no lube on it, and a few rust spots, the front tire had some cracks in between the grooves (dry rotting?), and the rear had good tread on the sides, but not in the middle. So it looks like i'd have to get new tires and maybe a new chain( or can you just relube the current one?)? Seller was asking $2500. Would 2k be a good offer? Or less because of it needing tires?

Old June 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #29
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
I checked out a 08 250 with 13,000 miles on it today. All the plastics and stuff were good on it, but it looked like it may have been left outside.. Chain had no lube on it, and a few rust spots, the front tire had some cracks in between the grooves (dry rotting?), and the rear had good tread on the sides, but not in the middle. So it looks like i'd have to get new tires and maybe a new chain( or can you just relube the current one?)? Seller was asking $2500. Would 2k be a good offer? Or less because of it needing tires?
With 13000 miles that drivetrain is at the end of its life anyways unless it was taken care of perfectly. I'd say replace both both sprockets and the chain all at once to start fresh a take good care of them. Those tires could be the originals since 13000 is all I got out of my rear so you'd want to replace those anyways.

Tires $300
Sprockets front and rear $60
Chain $100

I'd say 2000 would be bad but I'd expect them to ether say no or counter with 2300.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote