ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Bike Advice

I am new to the forum and have been reading up on Ninjas a lot lately and am working a ton this summer to save up some money to purchase my first bike. I have riden a few dirt bikes in my time, but that is about it. I am 21, mature and not by any means a dare devil. Just looking for some enjoyment and have always wanted a Ninja since I was a little kid. There is a dealership around me that is selling a 2000 Ninja 250 with 2,300 miles for around $1200. I was thinking this would be great to get me started out and going. I am looking for something to just drive around town with little to none high way driving. Whatcha guys think? Should I go for it? The bike looks like it is in great condition and very well taken care of with the amount of miles. First thing I'm gonna do it remove all of those purple decals :P

Thanks guys.
NylundHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by NylundHD View Post
I am new to the forum and have been reading up on Ninjas a lot lately and am working a ton this summer to save up some money to purchase my first bike. I have riden a few dirt bikes in my time, but that is about it. I am 21, mature and not by any means a dare devil. Just looking for some enjoyment and have always wanted a Ninja since I was a little kid. There is a dealership around me that is selling a 2000 Ninja 250 with 2,300 miles for around $1200. I was thinking this would be great to get me started out and going. I am looking for something to just drive around town with little to none high way driving. Whatcha guys think? Should I go for it? The bike looks like it is in great condition and very well taken care of with the amount of miles. First thing I'm gonna do it remove all of those purple decals :P

Thanks guys.
Ask them why it has so few miles on it. A 13 year old bike with 2,300 miles has been sitting for most of its life, which is questionable.

Ask about what maintainence they've done on it, if it has new tires, a new battery, oil, etc.

I don't know how pricing is over there but if it's in fair shape it's a good price.

Just don't get duped into buying a lemon.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
Ask them why it has so few miles on it. A 13 year old bike with 2,300 miles has been sitting for most of its life, which is questionable.

Ask about what maintainence they've done on it, if it has new tires, a new battery, oil, etc.

I don't know how pricing is over there but if it's in fair shape it's a good price.

Just don't get duped into buying a lemon.
Ya definitely got some questions to ask them!

Whatcha think about this one?

http://augusta.craigslist.org/mcy/3763413847.html

I know it's a little beat up, but I'm a first time rider and looking to take the MSF course and for something to learn on so if I can get a pretty good deal on this then down the road replace the fairings and stuff like that I think it would be worth it to spend a little more and get the newer bike.

Old June 9th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I don't know about that last one you just posted. I'd be a little freaked out about it hitting a car a 10 mph. If it was dropped at a stoplight instead it wouldn't scare me as much. But hitting a car is a pretty heavy hit to me. I'd avoid it and keep looking. The older bike as Daks said has been sitting for a long time. It might need a lot more money into it to replace old stuff.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I don't know about that last one you just posted. I'd be a little freaked out about it hitting a car a 10 mph. If it was dropped at a stoplight instead it wouldn't scare me as much. But hitting a car is a pretty heavy hit to me. I'd avoid it and keep looking. The older bike as Daks said has been sitting for a long time. It might need a lot more money into it to replace old stuff.
Ok cool, ya I still have like a month until I make my purchase just trying to get some ideas as to what I want and what would be a good buy! Thanks man!

Old June 10th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:
Really depends on the hit. I ran up the side of a car at 10-15 and my bike was fine. But for a new rider not knowing what they're looking for with problems, I also suggest walking on any collision-expirienced bikes.

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #7
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
Really depends on the hit. I ran up the side of a car at 10-15 and my bike was fine. But for a new rider not knowing what they're looking for with problems, I also suggest walking on any collision-expirienced bikes.
Did you get hurt hitting the car at all?

You're completely right. And if someone was more experienced and was able to check it over throughly you could even get a better deal at the time which would be nice.

I know I wouldn't know whether or not it was ok, I just don't know enough about motorcycles to be comfortable. If the op has a relative or friend that knows his stuff he could low ball the guy.

Old June 10th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #8
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Quote:

You're completely right. And if someone was more experienced and was able to check it over throughly you could even get a better deal at the time which would be nice.

I know I wouldn't know whether or not it was ok, I just don't know enough about motorcycles to be comfortable. If the op has a relative or friend that knows his stuff he could low ball the guy.
The ad is pretty old anyways so I can probably low ball him regardless. But this one is 2 and a half hours away and I cant ride it back so I hope it will fit in my truck. haha. In the mean time I'll keep looking closer to home before I jump the gun. I might just stick with the 2000 Ninja 250 here in my town, but I really like the newer gen models, 08+ I believe.

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #9
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

I had an 08' that I really liked. It was red. Either gen would be awesome. Keep your eyes open and I'm sure you'll find a deal.

I've heard with craigslist you really need to call the same day. Someone on this forum got a Ducati Monster for like $500! Someone else got a nice pre gen for $1,200, the deals are out there.

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

A new bike place opened up here and they have a 2000 for $1,200 and the other week there was an '08 for $1,400 and I texted the guy the next morning and it was already gone haha

Old June 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Daks
Jersey Devil

Quote:

Nah, she made a right turn from a left lane and I ran up the side of the car until pinned between the curb and her front wheel. I barely touched the car. Bike didn't hit the ground technically. It was very sort of indirect of a hit.

I did crash at 40 into leaves. Lowside. Bike looked fine aside from plastic damage but I got him home and there was a fist sized dent in the tank under the fairing, the handlebar was completely bent, tire severly misaligned. Took my bf's second pair of eyes to help notice.
All in all...dropped bikes can be and often are perfectly fine. But crashed bikes? Get a second opinion if not a proper inspection, which is better

Old June 11th, 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
NylundHD
ninjette.org member

Going to call the new bike shop here tomorrow and see if they still have the 2000 250 still for sale for $1200 if not I just emailed this guy about this 500.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/mcy/3788449693.html