ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

Old April 9th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Repair/Recovery [GRAPHIC/NSFW]

Well then. This is not my proudest moment but here's to admitting fault and displaying a degree of humility.

It's almost been a week. Ambulance, numerous hospital visits, and all matter of other unpleasant circumstances have taken place between then and now.

This certainly has been a learning experience and a wake-up call. At the risk of sounding like a pansy, I'm content to still be among the living and this event has shifted my perspective on life.

There isn't really a reason for this thread, but after sitting around for days with my leg above my head -- I'm running out of ways to entertain myself.

I haven't seen the other side of the bike yet. It went down on the right and then left side before sliding so the damage might be worse. I'm trying not to think about it too much but in the next few days I'll uncover the machine and have a look at the rest of the damage. Important for me to heal myself before I can take care of anything else. 16 stitches in right shin and lots of other aches and pains.

You might not want to read this paragraph. Y'know what it's like to wear a sock that is pulled up to your knee? Y'know what it's like to pull that sock down off your leg? That's basically what happened to all the flesh on the front of my right leg below the knee. The EMT used the term "de-gloving" on the radio when he called in the accident on the way to the hospital. And yes, the tibia is a very bright white color when fully exposed to the atmosphere. By the time everything was sewn back together, it had oxidized and taken on more of a dull, maroon color. I wish that I did not know these things and now you are probably thinking the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170407_151234.jpg (103.9 KB, 69 views)

Old April 9th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'm very sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Someday, when you're mentally ready, maybe you can describe the crash so we'll have a little more information on what can go wrong, and maybe how to avoid it.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Very sorry to read about your accident, Corksil

Get better and get back to your normal life soon !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I said aloud, "Holy ****!" when reading this. I've never heard of a leg getting degloved. It's usually just a finger (sidenote: this is why I never wear rings). That's gnarly. I hope you have a speedy recovery. It's good to hear you've got the right attitude about this. Then again, I know very few people who could still have much of an ego after going through that.

Stay safe!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #5
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Ouch! I've heard the term degloving before. Heal up! I'm glad the emergency personnel were there to help you.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Holy crap!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident =( Wishing you a speedy recovery with as little pain as possible. I'm glad you shared your story. It's a good reminder for all of us to ride even more defensively.

Old April 10th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Well crap, that sucks.

Did you have riding boots on? That injury does sound painful. If you feel like discussing it - did it (the leg injury) happen exactly?

Heal up quick.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #8
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I'm very sorry to hear this. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Someday, when you're mentally ready, maybe you can describe the crash so we'll have a little more information on what can go wrong, and maybe how to avoid it.
Yeah, will do. Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I think the bottom line is simple. There is a difference between going too fast and going way too fast. I fell into the second category on the morning of the event. Important for me to slow things down, mentally, physically and in many aspects of my life.

The accident was a symptom of an underlying problem. I spoke with a doctor a few weeks prior to the crash and he advised me that I need to find ways to avoid stress and minimize the amount of projects that I have going on -- both personally and professionally. Lay off the redbull and the coffee and double up on the eating and sleeping and resting.

Yes when I feel more fully healed I will re-hash exactly what transpired on that morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very sorry to read about your accident, Corksil

Get better and get back to your normal life soon !!!
Thanks, Hernan. I have a surplus of energy because I've been sitting on my ass with my foot up in the air for an entire week now. That is not something I have ever had to do in my life. Typically it's full speed ahead, no matter what I have in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I said aloud, "Holy ****!" when reading this. I've never heard of a leg getting degloved. It's usually just a finger (sidenote: this is why I never wear rings). That's gnarly. I hope you have a speedy recovery. It's good to hear you've got the right attitude about this. Then again, I know very few people who could still have much of an ego after going through that.

Stay safe!
Yeah, a bit humbling. Metaphor being... "being struck by a 2x4 to the side of my psyche." It's an eye-opening experience. My perspective on many things has changed as a result of this.

The EMT mentioned something interesting about how when a fighter is knocked out, and instantly jumps back up -- the thing he keeps repeating over and over is "I'm okay.. I'm fine.. I'm alright.." Yet the truth is otherwise. He said that's how I must've appeared to the responding officer. "The lights are on, but no one is home."

Thanks for your PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #9
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Ouch! I've heard the term degloving before. Heal up! I'm glad the emergency personnel were there to help you.
Thanks. Yeah, graphic and not pleasant to think about. I've been scheming on how to track down the mailing address of some of the responding personnel for purpose of sending a few thank-you notes. On one hand, they were merely doing their job. On the other, that job was taking care of me and I feel it deserves acknowledgement of gratitude. I think that was grammatically incorrect but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Holy crap!!! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident =( Wishing you a speedy recovery with as little pain as possible. I'm glad you shared your story. It's a good reminder for all of us to ride even more defensively.
Yeah. It's easy to overlook the danger involved with daily riding. Serious stuff, guys.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Well crap, that sucks.

Did you have riding boots on? That injury does sound painful. If you feel like discussing it - did it (the leg injury) happen exactly?

Heal up quick.
Nope, not wearing riding boots. I was in my typical work attire which includes "boots" that have ankle support but they have no-where near the amount of protection that my riding boots have. If I were wearing boots, my leg would be fine right now. Hindsight is 20/20.

It took a fair few minutes to clean the dried blood off my right work boot yesterday. And of course, replacing the lace that the EMT cut off with scissors. Those guys turned my clothing into confetti. Within about a minute, the scissors were directed toward my only remaining garment. I had to forcefully stop the dude from trying to cut my underwear off. I was like "there is nothing wrong with anything in that area!" and he's like "yes, but we need to take a look and make sure!" and I'm like "dude, take your hands off my johnson. You need to trust me on this!" Most of the 10-15 ppl in the emergency room were trying not to laugh.

Hopefully I'm not sharing too much information. I figure that most of you guys have no freakin clue how much excess energy builds up when you have to sit stationary for an entire week. I could write an entire book about this lol.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

You reminded me of my only fairly bad crash, when I was looking in my mirror and didn't see the car stopped at the green light in front of me because an ambulance was crossing. Help arrived very quickly, because the guys in the ambulance saw me hit the Toyota. I was pretty banged up, and the paramedic asked if I could get my helmet off, volunteering to cut its chin strap. I assured him I could get it off, and did. Then he got to my leather jacket and similarly volunteered to cut it off me, and again, I worked through the pain and got it off with his help. At least he asked, and worked with me.

Old April 10th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #11
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Glad your still with us, I am praying for a speedy recovery.

Old April 10th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Get well soon

Old April 10th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #13
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I've been scheming on how to track down the mailing address of some of the responding personnel for purpose of sending a few thank-you notes. On one hand, they were merely doing their job. On the other, that job was taking care of me and I feel it deserves acknowledgement of gratitude. I think that was grammatically incorrect but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.
::snip::

Those guys turned my clothing into confetti. Within about a minute, the scissors were directed toward my only remaining garment. I had to forcefully stop the dude from trying to cut my underwear off. I was like "there is nothing wrong with anything in that area!" and he's like "yes, but we need to take a look and make sure!" and I'm like "dude, take your hands off my johnson. You need to trust me on this!" Most of the 10-15 ppl in the emergency room were trying not to laugh.
I'd want to say thank you, too.

Clothing- yep, I'm told they cut it all off and pretty much immediately. I'm sure E/R personnel see all kinds of things, and all kinds of reactions. I guess if you're expressing concerns like that, they know your brain's functioning!

Old April 11th, 2017, 05:28 AM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
I guess if you're expressing concerns like that, they know your brain's functioning!
x100!

Old April 11th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #15
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
You were already a good man but I hope you come out the other side as a better man.

Get well, body and mind!

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #16
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
It took a fair few minutes to clean the dried blood off my right work boot yesterday. And of course, replacing the lace that the EMT cut off with scissors. Those guys turned my clothing into confetti. Within about a minute, the scissors were directed toward my only remaining garment. I had to forcefully stop the dude from trying to cut my underwear off. I was like "there is nothing wrong with anything in that area!" and he's like "yes, but we need to take a look and make sure!" and I'm like "dude, take your hands off my johnson. You need to trust me on this!" Most of the 10-15 ppl in the emergency room were trying not to laugh.

Old April 13th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sorry man, best wishes and speedy recovery.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #18
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Old April 16th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #19
corksil

Quote:
You reminded me of my only fairly bad crash, when I was looking in my mirror and didn't see the car stopped at the green light in front of me because an ambulance was crossing. Help arrived very quickly, because the guys in the ambulance saw me hit the Toyota. I was pretty banged up, and the paramedic asked if I could get my helmet off, volunteering to cut its chin strap. I assured him I could get it off, and did. Then he got to my leather jacket and similarly volunteered to cut it off me, and again, I worked through the pain and got it off with his help. At least he asked, and worked with me.
These guys didn't ask. They just came at me with scissors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Glad your still with us, I am praying for a speedy recovery.
Yeah, I'm still here. On the couch. Motionless. 13 days later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Get well soon
I'm working on that. This really sucks. I'm beyond bored. Any my mind is gnawing on it'self.

Old April 16th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #20
corksil

Quote:
I'd want to say thank you, too.

Clothing- yep, I'm told they cut it all off and pretty much immediately. I'm sure E/R personnel see all kinds of things, and all kinds of reactions. I guess if you're expressing concerns like that, they know your brain's functioning!
I swear that one of the EMT guys had an affinity for penors and seemed intent on inspecting mine. I told him not to cut off my underwear but that only seemed to make him more motivated.

Old April 16th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #21
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
I'm sorry this happened to you. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.
Yeah the healing is slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Sorry man, best wishes and speedy recovery.
Thanks, bud. This could have been a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
You were already a good man but I hope you come out the other side as a better man.

Get well, body and mind!
Me as well. Thanks.

Old April 17th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
TC:

Sucks that this happened and I hope you heal well, both physically and mentally. It's a big shock and that can do a number on you in all sorts of ways.

When you feel up to it (and not before), would you be willing to give us your view on gear, knowing what you know now?

Once you're back up and assuming you're still interested in riding, will you do anything differently?

You said you were wearing "typical work attire" which could mean anything from Carhartts to riding jeans to plain denim to khakis. Also that had you been wearing your riding boots, your leg would be fine... but what about the rest of your kit?

Boots aside, would you change anything about the way you gear up for the ride?

The classic commuter's dilemma is whether to dress for the ride and put up with inconvenience at work (need to change) or dress for work and increase risk of injury. Some feel it's not worth riding to work because of this. Some just live with the risk. Some gear up and find ways to manage the inconvenience.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #23
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Hey, Fisto, I appreciate what you're trying to do but it almost seems like an "I-told-ya-so."

Old April 17th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #24
adouglas
Cat herder

Not intended at all. Just wondering how something unfortunate like this affects the thought process of a responsible rider, which I believe corksil to be.

We all make choices every time we ride. Each of us is free to make those choices as we see fit, which is as it should be. Far be it from me or anyone else to judge... but I am interested in what goes into those choices and I feel it's useful insight, especially for newer riders.

I'm keeping this free of "well, if it were me I would have...." type comments. There's a time and a place to express our personal preferences, and this isn't it.

Old April 17th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #25
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
My bad.

Old April 17th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #26
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Hey, Fisto, I appreciate what you're trying to do but it almost seems like an "I-told-ya-so."
I didn't get that feeling at all when I read Dougie's post. I too, am very interested in Corksil's opinion as I have the same battle and dilemma when I commute. The choice has been made much easier for me now since my commute is 75 miles round trip on interstates (1hr 15m each way). I wear full gear (tall motorcycle boots that cover my shin, pants with CE armor hip and knees, leather jacket with CE back and chest protectors, gauntlet gloves, ear plugs and helmet).

However, when I used to commute 25 miles round trip on 30 - 45mph speed limit country roads, I hated being in full gear for such a short 20 min each way commute. I didn't mind the boots as I can easily change at my desk. But I hated the pants and jacket on hot humid 90+ degree days. I felt it was just "too much work" to carry extra clothes to change into and out of for a 20 min ride to work.

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

That's an interesting topic... the "it's not worth it" decision point. We all have one, even the most hard-core ATGATT riders.

Seriously... if you were to literally move the bike two doors down to a friend's driveway, or ride it through the paddock to tech, would you gear up? Nah. So there is a point at which the balance tips. The only question is, where?

For me, the point of concession comes when I ride a mile or so to the diner for lunch. It's still jacket, gloves, helmet and boots... the only concession is pants.
@cadd, I'm curious. Aside from the need to gear up and then change back only 20 minutes later, what's your rationale? Do you feel there's less hazard because of the shorter commute?

What, qualitatively, makes the longer trip worth the extra protection?

Old April 18th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
That's an interesting topic... the "it's not worth it" decision point. We all have one, even the most hard-core ATGATT riders.

Seriously... if you were to literally move the bike two doors down to a friend's driveway, or ride it through the paddock to tech, would you gear up? Nah. So there is a point at which the balance tips. The only question is, where?

For me, the point of concession comes when I ride a mile or so to the diner for lunch. It's still jacket, gloves, helmet and boots... the only concession is pants.
@cadd, I'm curious. Aside from the need to gear up and then change back only 20 minutes later, what's your rationale? Do you feel there's less hazard because of the shorter commute?

What, qualitatively, makes the longer trip worth the extra protection?
I'm usually pretty hardcore ATGATT. However, when my commute was only 12 miles each way (20 mins), there were times when I rode with no jacket and no pants during hot humid summer days. I did have my Icon chest/back protector vest on (over my button down shirt) though. How did I justify it to myself (being an ATGATT guy)? And I know these are all lame reasons:
- 6am departure = lighter traffic
- Heading west (sun not in my eye) on quiet country roads, riding against the morning commute (away from NYC)
- Short/quick ride and I knew the roads really well. I knew where every pot hole was and knew which intersections to be extra vigiliant
- Other commuters going the same direction aren't as aggressive because of the lighter traffic. They didn't need to joust for position. They didn't need to tailgate to prevent others from cutting in.
- Speeds were low. Some parts were 25mph limits and the highest speed limit was 45mph. Quite often, we're following school buses.
- One lane of travel in each direction for most of the commute
- I'm in a calmer state mentally. Never worried about traffic. Never worried about being late. Never worried about aggressive drivers bullying for a spot. I felt more relaxed and felt that helps my decision making process
- A lot of police on the opposite side of the road looking for speeders and aggressive drivers heading east towards NYC on their morning commute.

Nowadays, I commute 1h 15m into NYC. 65mph speed limit on the interstate for 80% of the distance. The other 20% comprises of (pot hole filled) local roads where everyone is very aggressive. I wear my normal everyday gear (full length boots, CE protected pants, CE chest and back protector leather jacket, gauntlet leather gloves, ear plugs & helmet) for this commute because:
- Heading east into NYC. The sun is right in my eye (and everyone else's eyes).
- A lot of aggressive driving
- Lots of tailgating
- Lots of speed changes. One minute, we can all be going 75mph, then all brake lights are on and we have to decelerate quickly to 15mph. Then accelerate back up.
- The sheer volume of traffic is horrendous and the chances of someone driving distracted (phone, make up, breakfast, newspaper, half asleep) is greater
- Horrible roads filled with bumps, oil, debris as we get closer to the city.
- I'm more alert and aggressive myself. No longer in that calm state of mind and I fear that will affect my decision making process. Greater chance of rider error.

How did I compromise with gear on hot humid summer days on this long aggressive commute? I have a white proforated leather jacket for more air flow. I have light weight pants with mesh in non impact locations. I gave myself two options:
A - ride in full gear and sweat a little
B - drive to the bus station, get on a crowded bus, then transfer to a crowded light rail, then transfer to an even more crowded Subway.

I was happy to sweat a little =)

Old April 18th, 2017, 08:11 AM   #29
adouglas
Cat herder

Excellent, thanks. This is exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping to prompt.

Old April 18th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #30
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
...there were times when I rode with no jacket and no pants.
Although I know guys who have, I have to admit I've never ridden without pants on.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM   #31
corksil

Quote:
TC:

Sucks that this happened and I hope you heal well, both physically and mentally. It's a big shock and that can do a number on you in all sorts of ways.
Amen to that, brother. I've been avoiding this thread because it can be mentally difficult to keep re-visiting in my head. A medical professional asked me at one point "are you experiencing any flashbacks or memories of the crash?" -- and up until that point, I had not realized it. It's weird, so weird.
All of a sudden I'm sitting there feeling nice and mellow and I close my eyes and it's like a movie starts. The sensation of the steering snapping from lock to lock and the way it made the rear suspension chatter.. the impact, and then all of a sudden I'm going over the bars and everything is spinning and I see blue sky and then BAM and I feel the sickening crunch of my knee and hip dislocating and then a second later SCHFFFFFFFFF the sound of the bike sliding next to me. So ****in weird. It's been a whole month.

When you feel up to it (and not before), would you be willing to give us your view on gear, knowing what you know now?

My view on gear has changed. Buy gear that is comfortable and that you will wear. I have a full set of leathers and stuff for the track, but honestly I don't put that stuff on if I'm running down to the store or post office a few miles away. Reason being, it's not comfortable and too much work to get into/out of. My every day work boots saved me from more serious harm, along with my normal garb of jeans/work shirt etc. However I still wonder.. If I had my kevlar jeans or leathers on -- would that have actually prevented my shin-flesh from peeling down to my ankle? I don't think it would have. My normal work jeans were not torn, yet everything on the front of my leg was pulled down to the ankle like a sock was being removed.

If my jeans weren't torn, yet my leg suffered such great harm -- I'm not sure that a thicker fabric material between my shin and the obstruction would have prevented the harm. Obviously more padding would have prevented the trauma to my hip/knee/ankle.

Another consideration is other vehicles. If the oncoming car did not stop, I would have been splattered on the front bumper of a large vehicle moving in the opposite direction. I'm not sure that any form of gear would have prevented the serious harm that would have resulted, had that happened instead.

Once you're back up and assuming you're still interested in riding, will you do anything differently?

I'm not thinking that far in the future yet. Obviously I'm going to continue riding, as the activity is my primary source of pleasure and enjoyment in life.
I don't want to think too far ahead. For example... how the ufck am I gonna kickstart my bikes with manual starer? If I can barely walk, and it's been a month -- how much longer until I can deliver a healthy kick to get a bike fired up? Honestly I'm trying not to think that far ahead.

You said you were wearing "typical work attire" which could mean anything from Carhartts to riding jeans to plain denim to khakis. Also that had you been wearing your riding boots, your leg would be fine... but what about the rest of your kit?

Boots aside, would you change anything about the way you gear up for the ride?

The classic commuter's dilemma is whether to dress for the ride and put up with inconvenience at work (need to change) or dress for work and increase risk of injury. Some feel it's not worth riding to work because of this. Some just live with the risk. Some gear up and find ways to manage the inconvenience.
I think I already answered your question but if not -- rephrase and re-ask and I'll do my best. Typical work attire was relatively heavy denim jeans, "hiking" boots with ankle support, and a button-down collared polyester shirt. Was also wearing gloves and helmet (as always).

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:45 PM   #32
corksil

Quote:
the thought process of a responsible rider, which I believe corksil to be.
lol thanks bud. This crash was a wakeup call on many levels. I need to slow things down in various different aspects of my life. Riding the bike is a way to blow off steam. Obviously if I didn't have as much "steam" to "blow off" -- I wouldn't have been going so fast and wouldn't have crashed.

I'm speaking in metaphors but hopefully conveying my point adequately.

Easy to get stuck in mentally disadvantageous thought loops. Here's one, for sake of example. "thought process of a responsible rider. but I, the "responsible rider" crashed. maybe that means that he is not a responsible rider. maybe that means he was riding irresponsibly. maybe i'm losing my mind. maybe i already lost my mind. but if lost my mind, i might not have noticed when it happened. motorcycles don't crash themselves. why was i going so fast. there was no hurry. i crashed the bike, it didn't crash itself. a responsible rider would not have crashed the bike." AND THEN IT REPEATS.

I'm going to hum quietly to myself and try to think about something else now.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:59 PM   #33
corksil

Quote:
Interesting topic as well. Malcom gladwell had a book about "tipping points" which was interesting to read.

Everyone has a tipping point as to when more or less gear is deemed appropriate. Then again, the thinking of an individual fluctuates slightly from day to day and must be taken into account. "Enough" gear on one day may be different than what an individual perceives as "enough" gear on a different day.

I think the most important thing is gear that is easy to put on/off.

For example, putting on wrist guards. elbow pads. a padded shoulder and abdomen vest. a back protector. a jersey, and finally a chest protector. All of those things require their own effort to put on/off. If one were to simply have a jacket, or a single garment with all of that protection built into it -- it would be more convenient because there wouldn't be as many individual steps involved to "gear up."

Another thing is comfort. If I put on my leather jacket and zip it up to the collar, it affects my neck ability. With the jacket all zipped up tight, I cannot turn my head as far to either side. Obviously that is a good thing, and the jacket has been designed that way to protect the neck in a crash -- but if I can't head-check when changing lanes as easily -- the gear is ultimately perceived to be more of a hindrance than anything else.

Another big one for most is heat. Nobody likes to feel as if they are a tea bag steeping in their own juices when they come to a stop light or need to perform a task like checking a PO box or going into a store for an item or two.

Sometimes it's impractical to remove all the gear just to accomplish a simple task like the ones mentioned. And removing all the gear poses it's own problems. For example -- removing a several hundred dollar leather jacket for the sake of comfort before going in to a store. Where the ufck are you gonna put the jacket? If you leave it on the gas tank, someone could steal it. If you are gonna whip out a cable and chain it to the bike through the sleeves, it would take time and is an extra item to haul around and deal with. Sure, you could carry the jacket into the store but it weighs 17 freakin pounds. You might as well wear it, because you'll need both hands free to inspect items in the store and complete the checkout process and payment etc.

I don't really have any answers but this is a good discussion and I like hearing from others about their own coping mechanisms in the universal "gear" paradox that all riders face. Summer is here now, so it's more of an issue than ever.

We all know that we should wear more gear. That's a universal constant. Yet there are so many reasons (real and imaginary) not to.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:05 PM   #34
corksil

Quote:
I'm usually pretty hardcore ATGATT. However, when my commute was only 12 miles each way (20 mins), there were times when I rode with no jacket and no pants during hot humid summer days. I did have my Icon chest/back protector vest on (over my button down shirt) though. How did I justify it to myself (being an ATGATT guy)? And I know these are all lame reasons:
- 6am departure = lighter traffic
- Heading west (sun not in my eye) on quiet country roads, riding against the morning commute (away from NYC)
- Short/quick ride and I knew the roads really well. I knew where every pot hole was and knew which intersections to be extra vigiliant
- Other commuters going the same direction aren't as aggressive because of the lighter traffic. They didn't need to joust for position. They didn't need to tailgate to prevent others from cutting in.
- Speeds were low. Some parts were 25mph limits and the highest speed limit was 45mph. Quite often, we're following school buses.
- One lane of travel in each direction for most of the commute
- I'm in a calmer state mentally. Never worried about traffic. Never worried about being late. Never worried about aggressive drivers bullying for a spot. I felt more relaxed and felt that helps my decision making process
- A lot of police on the opposite side of the road looking for speeders and aggressive drivers heading east towards NYC on their morning commute.

Nowadays, I commute 1h 15m into NYC. 65mph speed limit on the interstate for 80% of the distance. The other 20% comprises of (pot hole filled) local roads where everyone is very aggressive. I wear my normal everyday gear (full length boots, CE protected pants, CE chest and back protector leather jacket, gauntlet leather gloves, ear plugs & helmet) for this commute because:
- Heading east into NYC. The sun is right in my eye (and everyone else's eyes).
- A lot of aggressive driving
- Lots of tailgating
- Lots of speed changes. One minute, we can all be going 75mph, then all brake lights are on and we have to decelerate quickly to 15mph. Then accelerate back up.
- The sheer volume of traffic is horrendous and the chances of someone driving distracted (phone, make up, breakfast, newspaper, half asleep) is greater
- Horrible roads filled with bumps, oil, debris as we get closer to the city.
- I'm more alert and aggressive myself. No longer in that calm state of mind and I fear that will affect my decision making process. Greater chance of rider error.

How did I compromise with gear on hot humid summer days on this long aggressive commute? I have a white proforated leather jacket for more air flow. I have light weight pants with mesh in non impact locations. I gave myself two options:
A - ride in full gear and sweat a little
B - drive to the bus station, get on a crowded bus, then transfer to a crowded light rail, then transfer to an even more crowded Subway.

I was happy to sweat a little =)
Good post and thanks for contributing. All of the things you mentioned in the first half were true at the time of my crash -- except... more so, in my case.

Light traffic, same road I used numerous times per day, relatively slow speeds.. yet I was going way too fast and I went down hard. I think stress was a major factor. Feeling overwhelmed and behind on projects results in a person trying to do everything more quickly. I was going fast because I felt behind schedule on some level. I'm self-employed, so the more I can accomplish -- the better I do, financially, emotionally, etc etc.

In your case ^^^ sweating is thoroughly preferable to crowded mass transit. Sh+t, anything is preferable to crowded mass transit.

Ride safe!

Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:06 PM   #35
corksil

Quote:
Although I know guys who have, I have to admit I've never ridden without pants on.
lol. I rode naked once. Wasn't fun. My junk kept sticking to the seat and the tank got REALLLLLY hot when I stopped moving for a second.

And the fear of bees. Godamned little winged demons. Friggin bees all over the place. Riding naked instills a distinct fear of bees.

Old May 2nd, 2017, 02:46 PM   #36
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Riding naked instills a distinct fear of bees.
Words of wisdom, I'm sure.

Coping mechanisms with gear? I may get a cart when going to the grocery store, even for just a few things, so I can set down helmet and jacket. Leaves my hands free.

I agree that gear you'll actually wear is important.

Old May 19th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #37
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Sorry to hear you crashed. Hope you heal up fast. Sitting still sux and when you have no other choice its even worse. Hope you are mobile again soon.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #38
corksil

Thanks dude. Yeah this still isn't over. Doctors think that my kneecap has become partially disconnected. I went in for remaining knee pain yesterday and they took a whole bunch more x-rays. Back again in a few days for a meeting with an orthopedic surgeon.

It's so strange to think that it's been 51 days and that I'm still so screwed up. In a lot of ways I feel stuck in a time warp. Feels like it happened yesterday.

This would be when I whistle cheerfully and tell myself in a happy tone of voice -- "well, it could have been worse!"

Old May 24th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #39
CaliGrrl

Healing takes time, sometimes. Hang in there.

Old May 24th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #40
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
We appreciate the update, corgo!