ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:54 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

quick question: What kind of Fuses do you buy?

within a couple of weeks, 2 of my fuses blew out. One was the turn signal, and the other was my headlight fuse. Does this mean something is incorrectly wired? Or perhaps some of my exposed wires on my bikes now are short circuiting on my frame or something? (Yea, I have no idea what the heck is going on with my bike really in the electrical realm)

If a fuse blows, what is my bike trying to tell me? Is this normal? and was it just plain dumb luck that both of these fuses blew? Well, now I do not have any spares, and would like to get some just in case it happens again in the near future.

Thanks in advance

thoughts?
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #2
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Something is definately wrong with your wiring. I own many 250 Ninjas and have dating back to 1987. I've never blown a single fuse on any of my bikes.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:15 PM   #3
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Cool, Now I just need some advice on how to fix my problem from some electrical engineers that I have seen on this board.

Oh and btw. I cannot find my usb adapter for my camera, which is why I do not even have pictures of my new streetfighter up. so i'll try and get another one ASAP.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
kkim

buy the same amperage and type of fuses that came out of the bike. You should not increase the amperage to solve a problem, if that's what you are asking. Fuses are a designed safety device that have been calculated to blow when a certain amperage is exceeded for the particular circuit it protects.

You definitely sound like you have a wiring problem somewhere. I, too, have never blown a fuse on a bike yet.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #5
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You are going to have to bite the bullet and start tracing wires, maybe have to remove the fairings. Somewhere you probably have abraded the insulation off a wire by rubbing on something and it makes a contact with the frame and shorts out and blows a fuse. That is not normal or dumb luck and fuses do not get old and wear out. Your bike is trying to tell you something and you can't ignore it. You do not just replace a blown fuse, it will blow again. That's what Einstein called insanity, doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result. Not having turn signals or a headlight is dangerous and has to be fixed. And maybe next time, something else will go out, like blow the main fuse and the engine quits. Or heat up and start a fire.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #6
Zim
ninjette.org member

Name: Zim

Motorcycle(s): '04 EX250F

Chasing electrical problems can be a PITA if you're not methodical about it. Get your service manual and wiring diagram handy and start by checking all of your grounds. As in all of them. Pull any aftermarket electrical stuff you have like LEDs and wamers off, too.

I believe there was an electrical recall on the '08s but not the '09s. But double check at NHTSA.gov.

I use BUSS fuses but like Craig said, they're a failsafe device, if they're blowing, something is wrong and it's not the fuse.
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM   #7
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

A bad ground won't blow a fuse - A bad ground will open an electrical circuit so something stops working. It is usually a hot wire (positive) making a short somewhere that would blow a fuse.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Might be from the accident.
If any of your wires touch the frame, you will blow a fuse.
The entire frame and anything screwed to it by a metal screw is grounded and most of the wires are "hot" or signal.. which means if they short and touch the frame a fuse will go.

It's probably like an intermittent type of thing to where the fuse only pops when the exposed wire actually touches whatever is shorting it.

It does this so you don't smoke the battery or the circuit as kkim suggests.

Since you know what fuse is popping, you know what circuit to chase down. I'd be looking for pinched wires and torn coatings etc.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Wherever a wire goes through a clamp or fairing, it is a good idea to use a grommet. Small lengths of rubber hose also work well agains abrasion. Don`t skimp on the wire ties once you have found the problem. You don`t want any wires flailing around (loose wires are the first thing I look at. They will invariably start an intermittant problem which can make you crazy) Good luck.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM   #10
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Yea, I do actually have exposed wires, pretty much all of my wires. ( My whole bike is exposed actually! haha) So how should I go about doing this? I have merely tucked the instrument wires between the forks (only because they are attached to the headlight wires, and cannot take them off really.) Since all of these wires are tightly bound together, should I electrical tape them more? I really have to balance the stability of the wires but at the same time not restrict them too much due to the movement of the forks pushing and pulling the wires. I tried zip ties, but they create too many pressure points on the fork, restricting movement. Remember that these wires can only extend in a very limited range of motion.

Therefore, is the only solution to redo all of the stock wiring? like undo the the OEM electrical tape to take out the instrument panel wires?

edit: of course, if this was the permanent condition of my bike, I would do so, but in the summer time I actually plan to do a full restoration of the plastics and such. So, I need a solution that can let me easily put the wires back on to their right place.

And thank you all for your input. I now have SOME knowledge of wires and what blowing a fuse actually is, and why it occurs.