ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Motorcycle riding & unbelievable camaraderie,a gr8 story & my personal experience :)

OOOOkay...where do I start This turned out to be a very interesting day! It's probably better that yall couldn't come in the end (you know who you are)

For those who don't know, I embarked on a last second ride from DC to Skyline Drive, which runs thru Shenandoah National Park

Everything was going pretty well until I found a nail in my brand new rear tire!

The weather this morning was about 90 and there was high humidity from last nights rain. I left around 11am after checking the bike and putting some air in the tires. The ride up 495 was ok, hit some traffic but it didn't last long. Stopped for a redbull and a good stretch then chugged on. After I got on route 17 things were really movin, zero traffic and the scenery was nice. About 25 miles down route 17 I was at half a tank and was pretty thirsty so I decided to stop off at a gas station to fill up and get some water. After fillin up and walkin around a little bit I went back to continue the ride. From there the roads and scenery were only going to get better!

As part of a habit I have, I do a nice look over of my tires when ever I stop to look for anything wrong like rocks in the tread. Well this time I go back to look at my rear tire and see what looks to be a little rock stuck in the tire...get closer and come to find there's a damn nail in my 3 week old rear pilot power. After discovering that, I went and got a cheapo tire pressure reader to see if it was leaking air, the meter read 26psi, definitely leaking. I'm not sure how long I was riding with that in for but I sure am glad I saw it. Wasn't sure what to do so I posted here and took Alex's advice and decided to call it and head back, bummer Went and paid a $1 to put air in my tire sat around for a couple minutes and checked the tire pressure again to make sure it wasn't leaking profusely. Put the pressure up to 36psi. I rode on that 25 miles back to right before I got on the 495 back toward washington. Stopped at a shell for some more air, and water, this time free air The psi was back down to 26. It was damn hot and humid, at least 95 with 100% humidity, I was sweatin like a beast. There was also another motorcyclist there so I asked his opinion and he said to keep doing what I was doing. We tried calling some shops but everything was closed. Oh yeah, while I was there this pretty blonde girl said she really liked my bike and asked for a ride...I said I would if I didn't have a nail in my rear tire Put some air in and checked the pressure a couple times, seemed to be holding ok so I decided to continue on.

Got on the 495n toward washington and not 3 miles later the bike gets a little wobbly and squishy in the rear, so I pulled to the side of the road and saw the tire completely flat. Just when I thought I was totally screwed, being 50miles from home and deathly hot outside, no roadside assistance on my insurance, and out a tire, things actually got better

Today I was absolutely blown away at the willingness and generosity of the motorcycle community to help others.

Seriously, not even 5 minutes after I pulled over and was off my bike, a lady pulled over to the side of the freeway to help me. She just happened to be part of a motorcycle group called "sudden impact" I told her my situation and that I was pretty much out of options, less I call a tow truck and fork over a bunch of money. She offered to call some of her friends from another motorcycle group she is close with called "hypnotik ryderz" because they had a truck and a motorcycle trailer. 10 minutes later she told me they were on their way, no questions asked! We chatted it up and I told her how thankful I was, she kept sayin that no matter what whenever you see a rider on the side of the road to always stops cuz you never know when its gonna be you that needs help.

What continued to blow me away was how many other riders slowed down and signaled to us if everything was ok, all of them were harley riders

One guy did pull over despite us giving him the thumbs up. He came over to us and we explained the situation and everything was good. He was an old salty dude with a thick albanian accent. He had a leather vest on with all kinds of military, special operations, usa patches and chest hair stickin out. We talked and he said he had been riding for 35+ years...old salty dude indeed after a while I asked him if he was former military (like it wasn't obvious). Turns out this guy was a former Green Beret who served in Vietnam, and multiple other campaigns. How awesome...he showed me some pictures and pictures of pictures on his phone of him with all sorts of guns and ammo strapped across his chest, shootin a .50 cal, team pics, pics from the 'nam, HALO jump pics from 30,000ft, etc. He had one picture of a quarter, a nickel, and a penny, all with bullet holes perfectly through the center. Said he had shot each at 300 yards out I was pretty amazed, he was a pretty funny guy. He gave me his card and said he kills for a living. He then turned around and on the back of his vest he had a skull and crossbones, and "THE EXTERMINATOR" embroidered on...he then told us he now works as a pest control guy About 30 minutes later I shook his hand and he went off. "passion" (thats her given name by her group) offered to go sit in her suv cuz she had the a/c on...more outstanding hospitality.

20 minutes later the brigade showed up, and I mean a brigade 4 hayabusas, an escalade and a motorcycle trailer all showed up to help. Haze, C-dog, Princess, and Easy were there rider names Everybody was incredibly nice and we loaded my ninja up. Everything was closed so one of the riders, his name was Haze offered to bring the bike back to his place so he could patch the tire up. I hopped in with my new friend, passion and one of the riders stopped traffic while we got back on the road.

After we all got to Haze's house we rolled my ninja off, put her on a rear stand and Haze patched up the tire for me while C-dog went back to his house to get his portable air compressor. 30 minutes later the tire was patched up good and at 32psi and holding. They gave me some water and I told them how very thankful I was and I was off, back on the road again.

While riding on the freeway I took it easy on the bike, trying not to go over 65. I was at 70-75 the whole time tho pretty much Riding back through Traingle, Va things started to cool off and there was a slight mist about the air. I rode through a patch of rain that lasted about 5 minutes. I wasn't out of the woods yet tho

Once I got closer to D.C. I got caught in a rain storm so now I'm on the freeway, it's raining, I have my dark smoke visor on and there is water and mist everywhere from the cages. The wind was the only thing keeping my visor visible enough to see through by pushing the water out of the way. I slowed waaaay down and rode very cautiously the rest of the way back. I had my mesh jacket on w/out my liner and shift torque jeans so I was absolutely soaked . At this point I just wanted to make it back alive I finally made it back to base and after being soaked and riding thru 2 huge puddles that splashed water all up my leg I couldn't help but start to laugh to myself.

I was soaked, sore, tired and I was beginning to be able to smell myself, I smelled like a wet dog But I made it back in one piece and with a tire that is still useable. I met some awesome people and was totally blown away by the hospitality and camaraderie that I was shown by my fellow motorcyclists. All in all 8 amazing people were all involved in helping me, someone they had never met. These were complete strangers that put a grinding halt to their day, and dropped what they were doing to help one guy, and not just help me off the road but to also repair my bike and help me get back on the road. It was like I flashed some sort of motorcyclist distress sign in the air and riders around the area went and came flying to my aid. In this situation, I don't think things could have gone any better, really. I thank God for these people!

All in all I'm chalking this ride up as a win. Only thing that sucks is that I'm out some money for a (nother) rear tire. I'm gonna say the experience was worth it

As I parked my ninjette in the parking garage, I walked out and the clouds literally parted, the sun came out and the rain completely stopped The icing on the cake!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1230.jpg (83.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1231.jpg (85.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (139.9 KB, 6 views)

Last futzed with by jamesio; August 7th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
jamesio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

That was one hell of a day . Your very lucky to have had such hospitality given to you and I know what you mean about the weather too; it was pretty strange today . Glad you made it home alright and had a good time. I bet you'll never forget that ride for the rest of your life.

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Wow, really great story. I'm glad to see people still help each other.

Old August 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #4
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

wow cool story bro
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #5
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Great story! Thanks for sharing. Motorcyclists do look out for each other.

Old August 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Glad you made it home fine! Sorry about your PP1!

I think people that ride- understand that when we are broken down it's not like a car- we have different needs. Sounds like karma was on your side today. Next time I see a broken down motorcyclist- I will pull my cager or bike over and ask if he/she needs help. (pay it forward)

Now go find that chick- she may be your wife you passed up???
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

very nice story

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #8
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Awesome story man, glad it all worked out for you.

If you would like you can look into BAM. http://www.russbrown.com/what-is-bam.html#

If you are ever in a tough spot and are further out in the boonies they can be a life saver. Best part is that it is absolutely free. We had our entire motorcycle mentorship program sign up and created our own little web of military help should anyone need a hand.

Pay it forward!
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Wow, amazing story. Love it. For this very reason, I carry a tire repair kit around with me just in case. Especially for the longer trips. Glad it all worked out and yes, i'd call it a win as well. =) Now you have experience in rain riding too.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #10
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out! Fab!!

Old August 8th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #11
n_aditya
ninjette.org member

Name: Aditya

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (for the weekend's) and the Suzuki Fiero for office commute.

Great narration. Glad you found help when you needed it without breaking a sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
For this very reason, I carry a tire repair kit around with me just in case.
+1. There are a few things i never ride without. I always have my tailbag when i am riding and it consists of the below necessities no matter how near or far i am riding.

1. First Aid kit.

2. Tire Repair kit which consists of the required tools to remove the nail and fix the puncture strip

3. Tire pressure gauge

4. Water

5. smokes and breath mints

6. Lots of tissues to clean my visor when it gets plastered with bugs and insects

7. Hand sanitizer

I have a puncture each in my front and rear tire. Didn't realize how long those nails were in the tire until i was washing the bike and cleaning the wheels. They weren't bleeding air so i was fine. The tire repair kit helped in getting the nail off and sealing the hole with a puncture repair strip in less than 5 mins. Checked pressure after a few miles and she's all good.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #12
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the compliments everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
Awesome story man, glad it all worked out for you.

If you would like you can look into BAM. http://www.russbrown.com/what-is-bam.html#

If you are ever in a tough spot and are further out in the boonies they can be a life saver. Best part is that it is absolutely free. We had our entire motorcycle mentorship program sign up and created our own little web of military help should anyone need a hand.

The guy I bought my bike from told me about BAM and highly recommended them so I signed up the day I got the bike.That was my other option I forgot to mention. When the lady pulled over I had my BAM card in my hand, but at the same time I was skeptical at how reliable it was going to be. Have you used it before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
I carry a tire repair kit around with me just in case.
What kind of kit do you have? Any recommendations? I am definitely gonna look into getting one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
1. First Aid kit.
Also a good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Yeah, seriously

She was very cute...and blonde...and tall...and tan Right before she said that I had just poured half a bottle of water over my head, I was stressed out, and was dripping water and sweat and my shirt was soaked. I could only imagine my helmet hair When she started talking to me I just turned around and stared for a second like an

I told her I would, when, in fact, even if I didn't have a nail in my rear tire there was no way I could have given her a ride because I had my seat cowl on. She had me in a trance so I was just talkin out of my arse

Old August 8th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #13
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

With all the crap going on in the world it was good to read about the good folks out there.

Thanks for sharing!
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #14
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

WOW that's an awesome story "pay it forward" (: ohh did you get the blonde's number?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I hope he did. I'd be kicking myself if I didn't.

Old August 8th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #16
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

I'm kickin myself

I should have said somethin like, how bout you give me your number and when i get a new rear tire ill give you a call

but instead my brains went to mush

i went from this to this -->

Old August 8th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I hoped you face palmed yourself very hard lol you deserve it xD

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

lol aww another one slips away...

Thats an awesome story man, I absolutely love the motorcycle community

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #19
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Small thread when I was looking for tire repair ideas/kits.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=tire+repair

I ended up getting this:
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T...2823516&sr=8-1

and...

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Po...823516&sr=8-10

The plugs arent anything special and should work just fine. The inflator is actually quite small and will probably be fine in a pinch. I thought about using my mountain bike hand pump but when it comes down to laziness, electrical works better. I also have a battery tender port coming out from the battery so I can hook up both the tender and pump without taking the seat off to the battery.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #20
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
That sounded like a great experience. If I was passing through that area I'd consider hammering a nail into my own tire just so I could meet those fine folks! jk

Cagers can be really great too: I was helped out by 5 of them earlier in the week when I rode into a ditch.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #21
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Everyone should also look into the Riders of Kawasaki membership.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #22
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

TL,DR

sounds like a kewl story tho
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #23
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

wth are u supposed to do when u get a flat out of nowhere?=p

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #24
Art Vandelay
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): '07

OK, so, tacky question: did you offer them any money for helping? I never get the etiquette right in these situations and feel awkward about it, but I feel like giving or accepting money in these situations only cheapens the experience. Sometimes it seems to be expected, though, so I'm curious what you did and why.

For the record, I am much more comfortable offering a case of beer, if the situation presents itself.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #25
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
wth are u supposed to do when u get a flat out of nowhere?=p
some riders carry a repair kit and a portable air compressor

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #26
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
OK, so, tacky question: did you offer them any money for helping? I never get the etiquette right in these situations and feel awkward about it, but I feel like giving or accepting money in these situations only cheapens the experience. Sometimes it seems to be expected, though, so I'm curious what you did and why.

For the record, I am much more comfortable offering a case of beer, if the situation presents itself.
no i did not offer any money, they definitely didn't seem like the kind of people trying to make a buck. they were all very helpful and sympathetic to my position. we all chatted and talked, it never really even crossed my mind to offer them money. it was just really motorcyclists helping another motorcyclist. if we ever met again tho i would happily buy them all a round of drinks