ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:58 AM   #1
reabo
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja EX250 K8F

replacement parts

Im looking to replace my chain and sproket and back breaks on my ninja 250 08.

I want to get good part that will last. What should i be looking for and how much should i be looking to pay?

ty
reabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:55 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You might wanna start here and give this a quick read before moving on.

Next, you will want to check what size sprockets are currently on your bike. The stock sizes are; 14 tooth front and 45 tooth rear (in the US, different countries have different stock sizes). Rear sprockets normally have a number stamped right on it to make it easy to identify but you just may have to count teeth for the front. Changing the sprocket sizes (# of teeth) can affect how the bike feels, so if you don't want to change that, buy what you currently have. It is common for riders to install a 15 tooth front sprocket to give the 250 a "calmer" feel at highway speeds. It's a personal preference.

For normal road use, good price without overbuying and the longest life possible, you should be looking for steel sprockets and an O-ring/X-ring chain. You can buy the parts individually or in kits. I have found that buying the parts individually can be a cheaper option if you are a smart & savvy shopper, but the kits make it super easy.

Sprockets
For the price and quality, it's pretty hard to beat JT sprockets for the sprockets but I don't use their chains so I have no experience there. I also like Vortex sprockets and their prices are finally becoming more realistic.

Chain
I commonly use D.I.D (expensive), Renthal & EK (cheaper but fine quality) chains. Your looking for this size 520 w/ 106 links. They are commonly sold with more links than what you need and require the installer to cut the chain to length and install the master link. It's easier than it sounds but does need a chain breaking tool or a steady hand with a Dremel and small cutting wheel.

Brakes
You should be able to find an average set of rear brake pads for around $30 or less. EBC or an equivalent brand should do just fine for normal everyday riding.

Here is a common price breakdown (USD) prices vary from website to website;
Front sprocket: $15-$25
Rear sprocket: $30-$50
Rear brake pads: $30-$40
520 106 Chain: $100ish

Also, you might find that ordering from your dealer can save you shipping time/cost. Plus it's another set of eyes to double check that your ordering the right parts or haven't forgotten anything. I have no problem paying a few dollars more to have someone else handle that for me.

Happy shopping!

Last futzed with by csmith12; October 4th, 2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

^ /thread ^

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #4
KrazyWalle
ninjette.org member

Name: oswaldo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Passion Red, Ca Model)

Don't mean to thread hijack, but does replacing the rear sprocket with aluminum (same size) help with rotational mass?

Old October 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I am sure there is a measurable amount somewhere. After all, it does weigh less but that is just it, it's more about the weight savings vs rotating mass. If you were to measure it, it would make sense to me that it would be less rotating mass, not more.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote