ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old January 26th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #1
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nathaniel

Motorcycle(s): Past: 2007 250 Ninja 2005 XR650R 2003 KLX400R

So here's another reason I don't ride in Dallas...

So I don't ride my bike in Dallas. I ride it when I go home to East Texas on the weekends, and here's another reason besides the fact that there aren't any fun roads around Dallas...

I almost had a wreck because of someone else, again. I avoided having a wreck in an SUV with some dude while driving down a 4-lane road with mailboxes on the curbs. Some guy made a sudden lane change while I was going about 25 in the right lane (5 under the limit). He was stopped and basically tried to get in my lane and floor it (if he wouldn't have done this...). THEN, he looked in his mirror and stopped 1/5 of the way into my lane with me somewhere around 1/2 a car length behind him. I knew I couldn't stop in time, so I swerved as far right as I could (I almost hit him, the truck is pretty wide) and my $75 mirror I bought in July blew up all over some guy's mailbox.
Basically I had 2 choices: Wreck and have it be decided it was my fault (because I hit the guy from behind) and not have a truck for a few days... Or possibly loose a mirror that was all of $75.

Why can't people learn to look in their mirrors? Remember: I drive a full size truck and I had my lights on like I do every morning. And because someone was too stupid not to check their mirrors during rush hour, they cost me $75.

Old January 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #2
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Dallas is riddled with mobile dip sticks. I don't know how many times I've had to engage in defensive driving on bike and in car. I find the battle nowadays is with people driving glued to cell phones, improper lane changes, non use of turn signals , improper merging, not checking their blind spots, etc. Dallas is one of the worst cities to ever drive in. You really need to be on your toes all the time.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well you took the cheaper choice that's for sure. However you are wrong about one thing, it's wouldn't have been your fault. I've seen these cases before and it ends up being their fault because it is determined that you have command of the lane. With you having command of the lane they are violating your right of way and are therefore tagged with the fault. Glad it wasn't worse, I would have gotten that guys info and filed a report against him. May not come to anything but never know.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #4
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

DANGIT, but my truck has never been in a wreck (it was my great uncle's before it was mine, so I KNOW it hasn't been in a wreck), and I would like to keep it that way.

I'm always on my toes, people cut you off like crazy, some dude in a SMART CAR was in the right-side left turn lane next to me and I was on the inside lane because I needed to go to the gas station right after the corner. He cut me off and whiped right into the gas station. What the heck? I went up to him and was like "You know that my truck weights around 6,000 pounds, is around 7 feet wide, about 20 feet long and made of steel, right? Why did you do that, if I hadn't of slammed on my brakes, you would be an amputee right now in your squished plastic go kart." He was like "But, you didn't." So I said "Well I should have with the way you were driving." I got a mean look, but he wasn't exactly muscular, so I wasn't exactly scared (I don't really fear anyone, though. Maybe Chuck Norris.). The guy was probably around 35 and one of those "I'm richer than you are, which means I'm better, so shut up because I don't give a crap, I do this stuff all the time." kind of people.

Why do older people think that they are so much better at driving that 16-year olds? My grandpa told me: "You drive better than most people, like yo have been for years." And my grandma lets me drive her motor home if we go on trips so she can sleep on the way there.
It's like once people hit a certain age they think: "Well, now I can text and drive" or "Now I can talk on the phone and not use my turn signals when I drive" or: "Now I can cut people off because I drive a Porsche, while talking on the phone." My dad can barely stay in his lane anyway, in a little RANGER. Then he tries to dial the phone while he drives! WHAT THE HECK!?

I feel like I'm ranting, but I really hate stupid drivers, and I tell my dad "Dad, you're one of those drivers I really don't like to be behind, you're in the fast lane going slower than the far right lane, never using your turn signals, and you're weaving in your lane and occasionally popping out of it. Then when a person tries to pass you you speed up. Why do you do these things?" "Because I have never been in a wreck since I was 16." Then I think "Well that's probably because all of the other drivers, even the crappy ones, are defensive around you..." I actually fear being in his car, he won't start braking from 60 if there's a traffic jam until he's somewhere around 125 yards from the next car. Then he gets mad and is like "Why did they stop so fast!?" I just sit there and think "They didn't they were already stopped." I literally fear for myself riding with him.

I'll admit, I'm an offensive driver most of the time, I pass everyone. But I don't cut people off, I drive within my own limits, I use signals, I check 2 or 3 times before changing lanes, and I don't cut across 4 lanes of traffic in one fell swoop. I may make a mistake every now and again like come out of my lane like if I'm driving at night, but if I'm in traffic it won't happen.

Done ranting for now.

Old January 27th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #5
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I had some a hole in a Lexus take out my mirror right after i passed the police station and what does he do? He just speeds off... I pulled over to the side of the road and all but couldn't get his license plate numbers because my side view mirror shattered all over me and toppled down in between my feet. The he'll if I'm gonna let my insurance company charge me out the ass for it though. I just put my half shattered mirror back in and it's been there for a few months.

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #6
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

My cars in the shop because someone in the parking lot of work decided to not look out his SUV and backed into my car as I was driving down the isle (middle?).

Also the one other time i was hit was the scenario above where someone in the left lane tried to cut me off to turn into a parkinglot .. it hit my driverside fender. It was ruled their fault. The lady tried to say i was driving in excess and when she went to turn i ran into her. The cop looked at her like she was stupid and said "Do you think I'm going to buy that? besides you were in the left lane trying to turn right into a parking lot... not the right lane."

I also live in a state where the snow points out all the bad drivers. They are the ones doing 20mph down the highway who can't handle their car.

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #7
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

I drove in the snow once, and it was about 3" on top of the concrete. Everyone was doing like 15 MPH, while I was doing about 50-55 (speeding). It's like driving on clay, except clay is slicker.

I'm not reporting the mirror thing, I can just buy it. But I still hate that it happened.

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i dont' think thats because its Dallas, retarded drivers are EVERYWHERE. Maybe the DMV should require driving test for everyone every 10 years or so. and if you don't pass, then you lose your license.

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #9
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

There less less stupid people in Longview/Pittsburg, they actually take their time to look over before they make a lane change and can actually manage their lanes. They can even go around a corner in while staying in their own lane 99% of the time.

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

On my birthday next year, I will have to take a driver's test (age 70) So far I have 50years of accident and ticket free riding. I think they will let me drive a few more years.

On Distracted Driving: A short time ago I was shopping at our local Super Market. This incredibly large woman was driving one of those electric shopping carts happily chattering on her cell phone. She plowed right into my shopping cart and almost got me as well. She kept right on going, chatting away. It had to be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time. Another customer and I were laughing so hard we almost wet ourselves. "Nobody is safe from Da Cell Phone Marauder"

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #11
MiniCog
ninjette.org guru

HAHAHAHAHA! That's funny! I want to see something like that!