ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:51 PM   #361
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

For those of you who havent yet installed your woodcraft clip ons.. heres one small tip...get yourself a cheap long flathead screw driver that has a narrow shaft (i bought one for 3 bucks at Lowes) .... Next, prior to wedging it underneath the grip, as seen in KKIM's DIY, dip it in some dish soap... then push it under the grip and work it around underneath.. keep re-dipping as necessary and as you work the soap beneath the grip the grip will slide right off with minimal effort. Be sure that you push the flathead screw driver all the way to the end of the grip (repeat this process around the whole grip)...

Thanks KKIM !! Dont think i would have considered doing the swap without that DIY !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1122101338a.jpg (151.1 KB, 89 views)

Last futzed with by ninja3575; November 29th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #362
cbowman78
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Silly question coming up, does anyone remember where the "W" is marked on the clip on clamp?

The W mark represents the right hand side clip on. I would just like to verify that I have put it on the right side. Just doing double checks on the install and this is one of them. I can not see the W for the life of me.

Thanks in advance!!
cbowman78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #363
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

If I recall, the W was between the bolts on the inside of the riser. That said, if you've mixed anything up, I expect it'll be readily apparent. Given the riser posts are side-specific, I expect you'd wind up with bars pointing upwards if you put 'em on the wrong side.

Old January 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #364
insanez703
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zein

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by splittrain View Post
Okay soo, Im a tall white boy @ 6 feet..
I just threw on the Woodcraft clipons and HOLY SHETTT!!!

I sat on the bike, drove it around town OMG!!!@#@#$# WTF The bike feels completely different (posture etc.)! I feel like i just bought like a 600cc and was riding around. The feel of the bike feels just waayyyyy better! Wow, this is the greatest modification that you could do to your bike. I cant wait until I sit on it again and go riding.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND PUTTING CLIPONS ON YOUR NINJA 250RRRRR!!!!!

I am puttin pazzo shortys on later this afternoon and will post pics!
Hey there, splittrain!

I, too am a 6'1" tall arab (white looking) guy! Just a thought: after looking over ninjette and kawi forums threads for countless hours, I have yet to decide if getting these clipon's would really change the riding position drastically. I just took my friend's gixxer out and love the leaned position. Do you think it would be possible to check your bike out and possibly sit on it? I'd love to get to the bottom of this as it's been eating up my studying time (I go to school at the University of Mary Washington but live in the springfield area).

Much thanks in advance brudah!
insanez703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #365
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanez703 View Post
Hey there, splittrain!

I, too am a 6'1" tall arab (white looking) guy! Just a thought: after looking over ninjette and kawi forums threads for countless hours, I have yet to decide if getting these clipon's would really change the riding position drastically. I just took my friend's gixxer out and love the leaned position. Do you think it would be possible to check your bike out and possibly sit on it? I'd love to get to the bottom of this as it's been eating up my studying time (I go to school at the University of Mary Washington but live in the springfield area).

Much thanks in advance brudah!
They do lean you more forward on the bike. I am 5'9'' tall and I could tell a differnce. I love them, and will not be going back to OEM handle bars. Here is a picture of my clip on's so you can get an idea as to where your hands would be if you installed them.

Old January 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #366
insanez703
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
They do lean you more forward on the bike. I am 5'9'' tall and I could tell a differnce. I love them, and will not be going back to OEM handle bars. Here is a picture of my clip on's so you can get an idea as to where your hands would be if you installed them.
Looks great Scott; thanks for the quick response! 250RinBlack posted some pictures of himself on the bike and it looks like his posture changed significantly. Though only a couple inches taller, I'm hoping that my position will change equally as much. Guess I'm just being too hesitant. Thanks again for the reply

Old January 29th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #367
Eva689
ninjette.org member

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I installed the clip-ons two weeks ago and am loving how different the bike feels. I'm 6'1" and the combination of the A&L motorsports rearset adjuster plate and the Woodcraft clip-ons completely opens the bike out from an upright commuter. No more feeling like I'm a propped up blade of grass in the wind.

It is safe to leave the top of the forks exposed after this mod? Looking at them from directly above, it appears like there is a ring structure to seal the suspension fluid (much like the piston rings in your engine). Is it waterproof? I'm worried that drenching it in water when I'm washing the bike or riding in rain (not that that's a problem now - Australian summer) will cause me grief.
Eva689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #368
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

hello KKim,

i got a question for you. I did this mod and did a 10 miles test run (local street, max speed up to 50 miles). maybe its just me but it seem like my bike sounds louder and got slower? can you or anyone think of a reason that could cause this relating to clip-ons (yes i think i installed it right, followed step by step).

thanks!

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #369
kkim

it shouldn't make a diff. what makes you think the bike is slower? maybe louder due to the revised angle you're sitting on the bike now?

only remote possibility I can think of is something to do with the throttle if you are pinching the cables? did you work on the throttle at all when you did the clip on install? is the throttle nice and easy to turn or does it bind at all when twisted and released?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #370
maxwellca21
ninjette.org member

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
it shouldn't make a diff. what makes you think the bike is slower? maybe louder due to the revised angle you're sitting on the bike now?

only remote possibility I can think of is something to do with the throttle if you are pinching the cables? did you work on the throttle at all when you did the clip on install? is the throttle nice and easy to turn or does it bind at all when twisted and released?
yeah i will check out the throttle cables. thanks KKim for the fast reply! awesome DYI by the way!

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:54 PM   #371
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva689 View Post
It is safe to leave the top of the forks exposed after this mod? Looking at them from directly above, it appears like there is a ring structure to seal the suspension fluid (much like the piston rings in your engine). Is it waterproof? I'm worried that drenching it in water when I'm washing the bike or riding in rain (not that that's a problem now - Australian summer) will cause me grief.
That ring is not like your piston rings. It is there to lock the springs inside of the fork tube. There is a seal around the piece being held in place by that ring that will keep water out of the forks.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM   #372
Eva689
ninjette.org member

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Thank you. Good to know I don't need to worry about them.
Eva689 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #373
chitor
Ninja Master

Name: Chito

Question

Can you change the bar end of a WC clip ons?

What do you guys think of this clip on(Accel):

I think this is similar to Shinto? I found it at www.accel123.com.tw

They have a local dealer here in the Philippines, so I might save several bucks if I buy this.
chitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #374
insanez703
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitor View Post

They have a local dealer here in the Philippines, so I might save several bucks if I buy this.
Those look pretty cool Chitor. Not sure if they'll fit below the triple tree like the WC clip-ons though. In this picture with the mounted on a 250 they are placed on the forks above the triple.

i do like the blue ones though

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:33 PM   #375
lunerkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Thanks so much kkim.

Finished installing my clips-on some time ago.
Huge difference and I really like them.

I am only 5'5" and I feel really comfortable with these.
I don't feel as cramped when I go into any sort of tuck on freeways which is a majority of my commute.
lunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM   #376
Liuser
ninjette.org member

Name: Dean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quick question yes / no question: Do you need to remove the throttle grip on the right side like the left?
Liuser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:18 PM   #377
kkim

if you are planning to change grips, yes. if not, no... just leave the throttle grip on the throttle tube and slide the entire throttle off in one piece.

Old February 21st, 2011, 07:16 PM   #378
Liuser
ninjette.org member

Great thank you kkim.

Used heatgun to heat the ends. Then a screwdriver with pliers for extra leverage to get those suckers off. Soap with water as other members worked miracles to get the grips off.

Took a little under 3 hours. At 5'9 it feels much better.

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:08 PM   #379
nexus
ninjee two-fiddie

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:

These are spot-on identical to Shinto clipons. The fork caps on the right are the same as well. Accel might be the company that Paul gets them from.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM   #380
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liuser View Post

At 5'9 it feels much better.
try some rear sets for an even roomier feel.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:27 AM   #381
Liuser
ninjette.org member

Quote:
try some rear sets for an even roomier feel.
That's next on my list!

Is there any pros/cons of the Woodcraft rearsets with and without the additional brake/shift levers? I mainly want rear sets for the room (1 inches back, 2 inches up). If the OEM brake / shift levers are okay, I will just stick with those. It's quite the price difference.

No pedals

With Pedals

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:13 PM   #382
kkim

try some peg relocating plates. that's what I have and for street use, they are fine. just make sure they include a longer shift rod with the plates.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15136

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM   #383
Liuser
ninjette.org member

Exactly what I was looking for. Just PM'ed ride2max, but his last activity states 2009. I hope that is limited to forum posts only instead of PM. If you (or anyone else) knows where I can purchase this set elsewhere via a trusted vendor please let me know.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #384
kkim

I would advise to not use the same vendor I did. Since then, many other companies have come out with similar plates. do a search on this forum and you'll find a few to pick from. Here's one, but there are others.

https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-4403...-brackets.aspx

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #385
Shwig
K.D.I.T of ninjette.org

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250r

did anyone have any problems with the clutch cable binding slightly ? my clip ons dont rub but my clutch slightly binds now

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #386
chitor
Ninja Master

Name: Chito

Quote:
Great thank you kkim.

Used heatgun to heat the ends. Then a screwdriver with pliers for extra leverage to get those suckers off. Soap with water as other members worked miracles to get the grips off.

Took a little under 3 hours. At 5'9 it feels much better.
Im curious about the heatgun? I dont have an acethylene torch, and I have the WC clip ons for several weeks now but Im unable to install it because I cannot remove the bar end. What exactly is a heatgun. Sorry for my ignorance. Is there no way to remove the bar end without heating it?

Thanks.
chitor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #387
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

Quote:
Im curious about the heatgun? I dont have a acethylene torch, and I have the WC clip ons for several weeks now but Im unable to install it because I cannot remove the bar end. What exactly is a heatgun. Sorry for my ignorance. Is there no way to remove the bar end without heating it?

Thanks.
a heatgun is a professional hair dryer
but seriously, google it.

But personally, i took a propane torch (widely used by plumber, etc..) and it willl cost less than a heatgun. just put the flame to a minimum level, and you should be fine.

I only used a propane torch and a phillips screwdriver to remove the bar end, and it was very easy. less than 5 minutes for both side. and i didn't broke anything
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #388
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Exactly what I was looking for. Just PM'ed ride2max, but his last activity states 2009. I hope that is limited to forum posts only instead of PM. If you (or anyone else) knows where I can purchase this set elsewhere via a trusted vendor please let me know.
i bought mine here http://www.a-lmotorsports.com/

but right now their website seems to have trouble.

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #389
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
For those of you who are great at stripping bolts like I am, I finally found replacement bolts. I've gone to ace hardware, lowes, and home depot with no luck and even checked the woodcraft website. The bolts have to have the same Allen head or else they won't fit correctly (I put some hex bolts in that wouldn't screw in completely and they fell out apparently).

I happened to walk by these bolts at cycle gear and they are exactly the same size. The size says M6x20 and it's 3 bolts for $1.99.

Hey Cuong, which replacement screw is this for?
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #390
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I believe the 4 bolts that clamp the riser down and the bolt for the bar are all the same size, but I've only swapped out the one for the bar. If you want, I can swap then out to verify since I'm working on the bike now.

Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #391
EddieNewYork
"Hey, That's My Bike"

Name: Eddie

Motorcycle(s): 88 Honda ZB50, 01 Honda Monkey, 07 CRF50, Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
I believe the 4 bolts that clamp the riser down and the bolt for the bar are all the same size, but I've only swapped out the one for the bar. If you want, I can swap then out to verify since I'm working on the bike now.
Oh no need bro thx, just wanted to know, lol. I'm actually in need of bar end screws.
EddieNewYork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #392
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
Does anyone have their stock handlebars available for sale?
i could sell mine, but i live in montreal, canada lol.

I'm sure someone else is willing to sell their stock handlebar

Old April 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #393
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob View Post
I bet shipping is really expensive to ship from canada.

Still looking for a left handlebar (stock) please.
no it's not expensive. but the shipping time can be 2 weeks.

I can check, but it should be around 15$ to ship both handlebar

Old April 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #394
forevertwowheels
ninjette.org member

Name: TKO

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011 Honda CBR600RR

question for clipon users.. what have you done about the extra bit of fork sticking up(red) and the holes from the screws(blue)? refering to kkims pic in the diy
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clipon.jpg (258.0 KB, 28 views)

Old May 6th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #395
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:

please let us know how it turns out.
It turned out wonderful! I have received the clipons 3 days ago, and will try to install them today. Paul is a very nice guy!
Thanks Paul!
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #396
kkim

Man, I love it when stories have a happy ending!

Enjoy, Domagoj.... and Paul, your Karma cup is now full. Thanks for stepping up.

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #397
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I'm grinning for the last 3 hours. Since I got off my new bike.

Now with this body position I should really start to think about rearsets
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #398
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I went to Lowe's and for $2 (comes in packs of 2 for $1) I bought some 5/16" plastic hole plugs. They are a tight fit (which is good actually) and fill the hole perfectly!

Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #399
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
It turned out wonderful! I have received the clipons 3 days ago, and will try to install them today. Paul is a very nice guy!
Thanks Paul!
Glad it all worked out Domagoj! That was fairly painless as far as international relays go. Happy to serve as a relay man anytime, esp when the communication and directions are as solid as your was!

Also super happy you like the new position. It took me awhile to get used to it as I was putting too much weight on my wrists from the beginning, but now that I am, the 800mi (~1300km) roadtrip I went on over the weekend to see the horse race in Kentucky was comfy and quite enjoyable.

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #400
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I don't believe this was asked, and forgive me if it was but;
Does the length of the exposed clip on effect handling at all. Since it's a 12" clip on say that on the right side the bracket for the brake, starter and throttle take up 11" ( everything is squished together as close as you can get) the other 1" is on the inside on the handle bars not being used.

Would those create leverage meaning more turn for less area?
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote