ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Arrow Gorilla 8017

Hey guys,

Ordered my Gorilla 8017 finally.

http://gorillacyclealarm.com/alarm.8017

I'm Canadian and picked it up on Amazon.com for 150 bucks after shipping, customs, and tax. Compared to the 210 dollars I'd pay on Amazon.ca before shipping... Damn Canada, I love you, but WHY YOU SO EXPENSE!?! lol

Anyways, I did a search on the forums for anything related to my new alarm and only 3 things came up and none were really all that helpful. At the low cost of give-or-take 150 bucks I'm really surprised that not more people have this alarm installed/haven't really talked about it at all.

I'm looking for any good info regarding set-up, operation, placement etc. So, anyone know anything? Pictures of one installed on a new-gen ninja would be awesome, I got a 2011, blue.
Mauchner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Cool How to install Gorilla 8017 Alarm System and first impressions

Ok here goes my first tutorial. Even though this alarm (for some reason) is not very popular here, I am going to try and show you how I did it.

So here it is, 150 bucks shipped to my door from the states, I live in BC. Everyone should buy an alarm for their bike, it's great having that extra little piece of mind. And it's only a little more than a fender eliminator :S

Out of the box it was kind of... meh. Cheap plastic mould holding the alarm and two pagers in. All the wires underneath.

Little more of the contents for ya.

Start by taking off the passenger seat and the side fairings. Theres one large philips screw for each side and four plastic, ugh, "pops?" lol Like little snap in things. Just pull on the top right off, then the middle, then the left side.

Once both sides are off, take the two seat screws out. They are an allan key, or hex key I think you guys call them. The right size is in the tool kit that comes with the bike. You've got to slide the seat back (I believe?) and it will come off.

Careful you dont lose these! They fell out on me a few times! Not cool, think I might glue them in next time I get the seat off.

Take out le screw. This one.

Disconnect le clips. This one, and this one.

Disconnect the battery, don't lose the screws. What the hell? Is this supposed to be there? Never seen foamy stuff on a battery. Good bye, clean this all off as best you can.

Place in a secure safe location. lol

Ok this was tricky. Get that SOB in there. It looks centered but it's not. Its off to the driver's left side a bit against the fuse box.

You'll need to push on the battery casing like this to squeeze the alarm in.

The unit should be in there REALLY tight and probably won't go anywhere even without any (provided) velcro or zap straps but I managed to squeeze a zap strap under it for added secureness. Notice it goes on both sides of the frame bar that goes across. Don't pull it tight yet, just a couple clicks.

This is what you should look like now, COOL HUH!?

O.K you can pull it tight now lol.

Connect the harness to the alarm. coil up the red and black power wires and use the twist ties to tie everything together really nicely and tuck it all in beside the unit.

Connect the power cables like so. On top of the bikes connections. Make sure the antennae and any other cables are out of the way and not tangled. KEEP EVERYTHING NEAT.

Put the battery cover back on, reconnect the two clips and mount the tilt sensor. I did it wrong in this picture. It MUST have the wire coming out the right, not the left like I did. Use the provided velcro. Cut a big piece for the one thats going on the bike. You're going to put it on the flat bit right beside the fuse/in front of the two clips you just reconnected. Use a small piece of velcro for the actual sensor. Now... When mounting it the bike must be on its' side stand. With the bike on its side stand the sensor MUST be level. When the bike is tipped on its' side mercury pools on the now ( \ ) angled sensor and sets it off. So remember. Side stand=level, upright bike=angled sensor. With the wire sticking out the RIGHT. Opposite what I did.

This is your antennae, it's going to be under the passenger seat velcro'd to the underside of the plastic.

Feed the wire through the hole on the right side... right here.

The blue antennae wire must be laid out straight. It cannot be bent or wrapped around anything. We're going to run it up the left side. If you look really closely you can see I passed it through a loop in there. Do the same. You'll know what I'm talking about when you look at your bike if you cannot see it in my picture.

Not sure why this picture is upside down but I just used a twist tie and fastened it down lightly to the frame leaving the end to do what it pleases.

Oh hey look! I figured out I did the tilt sensor wrong and fixed it. Remember to make it level when the bike is on its' stand.

Wrap up the antennae nicely and velcro it to the underside (roof) of the rear end. It'd basically be under the outside of the right ass cheek of the passenger.

Ta-Da! Bike now has an alarm. It was really easy to install, only required about an hour and a half, a screw driver and an allen key. BEEP BEEP

To program the two pagers simply disconnect the main wiring harness from the alarm, wait a few seconds, plug it back in and immediately hit the lock button on one of the pagers. Once it recognizes it, press the other pagers lock button. Cheers, ride safe.

Have fun, take your time and let me know if you have any questions

Old March 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 09:06 PM   #4
bbjminardo
ninjette.org member

Name: Minardo

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black Ninja 250r

Nice man looks nice
Good installation guide
bbjminardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Thank you Had a good time making it. I'll be sure to make another for whatever else I do in the future.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 11:37 PM   #6
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
This may be of interest to you (if you haven't seen it yet)... http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102833.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Good read!

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/linked

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/linked
Where abouts?

Old March 27th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Whenever I say linked, I mean from the main DIY sticky thread at the top of the tech section. All DIY's are kept in the same place.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Mauchner
ninjette.org member

I see! Good stuff.