ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 8th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Gaerne G-RW Street Boots Review (vs Sidi Cobra)

Just a quick note that I'm loving my new Gaerne G-RW street boots. I bought them and a pair of Sidi Cobra's from motorcyclesuperstore.com. From what I've read, I was expecting the Sidi's to be superior, but it was far from the truth.

With the Cobra's on, I was able to roll my ankle from side to side with almost full freedom. The boots just crinkled like they weren't there. While I'm sure they would provide great abrasion protection, I was looking for something more protective.

With the G-RWs on, I basically cannot roll my ankle from side to side. (Front to back is fine though, and the boot is hinged accordingly so it doesn't interefere with shifting.) It really feels secure and safe without sacrificing comfort. This is my first boot, and it only took me a few minutes to get used to shifting with them on, and now I vow to never, ever ride anywhere without them again. (The more I read, the more I think boots are second only to helmets in safety gear priority.)

I wear a size 11, and found that these were a bit too large. A thicker pair of socks takes care of that nicely though. The next size down is 10, which I figure would have been too small.

NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #2
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Try the Vortice and then report back... Mine give me complete confidence in the ankle protection department. I think the Vortice and the ST have the external ankle brace.

Old September 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
Try the Vortice and then report back... Mine give me complete confidence in the ankle protection department. I think the Vortice and the ST have the external ankle brace.
Yes, judging by their pics it looks much better. It's also $495 though....

If Gaerne can do it for $250, Sidi should be able to as well. (Both are made in Italy, incidentally.) Looks like they got rid of too much for their less expensive offering.

Glad you like your Vortices though, they look spiffy.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote