ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 11th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #161
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

Any reason you haven't gone with Megasquirt / Microsquirt? It handles boost quite well. The hardware required is similar, but the software is leaps and bounds ahead of what Ecotrons offers.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #162
swarfman64
Master modder

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): TURBO gpx250 99 CB250/500rs Sherco290 Trials Indian 1911big base (replica)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Any reason you haven't gone with Megasquirt / Microsquirt? It handles boost quite well. The hardware required is similar, but the software is leaps and bounds ahead of what Ecotrons offers.
Yes, there is a good reason.....I spent my money initially on the ecotrons set up because it was suppose to be engineered for the bike with options for turbo MAP and larger injectors.
Clearly that was a huge mistake, so now I've spent enough time and money on the project and trying to make the ecotrons system work that I could have bought a new 300.
Simply I've spent enough money, I will make this work but if I was to tip in another $800 to $1500 I'd be a fool. Yes I should have started with micro-squirt or similar.

Old December 12th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #163
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfman64 View Post
Yes, there is a good reason.....I spent my money initially on the ecotrons set up because it was suppose to be engineered for the bike with options for turbo MAP and larger injectors.
Clearly that was a huge mistake, so now I've spent enough time and money on the project and trying to make the ecotrons system work that I could have bought a new 300.
Simply I've spent enough money, I will make this work but if I was to tip in another $800 to $1500 I'd be a fool. Yes I should have started with micro-squirt or similar.
For what it's worth, you can pick up a Microsquirt box + short harness for $339, and it should work with the coolant temp / intake temp / MAP sensor / TPS that already exists in your Ecotrons setup.

Since you've already bit the big hardware bullet, a little extra cash on the software side would work wonders for you, IMO. Carbs can work, but EFI is king when it comes to handling boost. Well developed, with plenty of help available. If you went that route, I think it would result in the best solution for you long term with respect to reliability, economy, and power.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2015, 01:58 PM   #164
swarfman64
Master modder

Motorcycle(s): TURBO gpx250 99 CB250/500rs Sherco290 Trials Indian 1911big base (replica)

Yes efi is the best way to go, but in Aus in at around 600 for the squirt, I've reached the limit for cost, a line has to be drawn somewhere. The next build (not sure what it will be)will have a squirt. The carbs will still make power, there is a disadvantage in physicly changing jets etc but there both just metering fuel. The major plus for carbs is the cost reduction and simplification of a turbo install. Pros and cons, fact is I want to wind this up and spend my cash on a new project. For perspective, used pregen around 800 bucks, new gen 2000 bucks new 300 is bout 5600. I just can't spend anymore money on what's really a toy, it may be a quick 250 but as sport bikes go its not that quick. I could buy a used 600 or liter bike for 3000. If someone wanted to donate a squirt..................

Old January 1st, 2016, 03:17 PM   #165
speedpro
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): McIntosh Kawasaki turbo, FZR/MB100 bucket + one work in progress

Sorry but I haven't read the whole thread. I read towards the end where you were not so happy with the Ecotrons install on the turbo. I myself have Ecotrons on a turbo project and I'm just at the point of loading it up and sorting out fueling using the ALM from Ecotrons. So far so good for me but I have damaged my 2.5bar MAP sensor so am limited to the 1bar sensor at the moment. I have access to an inertial dyno and the bike revs out clean and the fuel is good as far as I've revved it with a throttle controlled limit of 1050 mbar. I built a brake dyno using a 330mm disc and a 4-pot Brembo caliper. It seems to be sweet for loading it up so far. The problem I seem to be having at the moment is the indicated TPS doesn't register until I've turned the throttle about 1/4 turn. The fix is to "flash" the ECU, nothing else. Also if it suddenly gets hard to start I reflash the ECU, and away it goes. I also lost ignition on #1 and as flashing the ECU had worked with other problems I flashed it and away it went again. I'm now running a large car battery next to the bike to make absolutely sure the 12V supply is good. Would be very interested in a chat if you want to PM me your number.
speedpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:07 AM   #166
swarfman64
Master modder

G'day Mike, Glad to hear you're having luck with the injection. Is it a ninja kit? What I mean is, Is it the ecu for the ninja kit from Ecotrons? Just interested as its internally different to there single cylinder ecu. I have been lurking around in other forums and loosely followed your build. I bet you don't know how you ever did without the dyno
I'll sling you a PM and number.

Old January 2nd, 2016, 03:42 AM   #167
swarfman64
Master modder

So not allot to report on the bike but some promising progress.
My fuel system is sorted, I have added a restriction to the pressure line to reduce the return line back pressure which has allowed me to have .5 psi idle fuel pressure. I have also supplied the regulator from the pitot pressure which gives me about 1.2:1 increase in fuel pressure. No bowl flooding or leaks and plenty of fuel. I have very slowly crept my RPM and load up on the dyno with my knock sensor hooked up and have found that the factory ignition system shows no signs of detonation at 9 PSI ((which is odd, as i had to retard the ignition with Efi because of major detonation)same AF ratio)). Makes me wonder how accurate that system was.
Alterations to the pitot (I'll detail later) has given me a reasonably flat level A/F through the range. I do have a major flat (lean) spot mid throttle, at this stage I think its the transition from the idle circuit to the main.
I have been able to get some full throttle pulls in after I nurse it through the lean spot.
One little issue I came across was fuel boiling in the pump and consequently loosing pressure as it vaporized. I insulated the pump and fixed it for now, I will move the pump to a better position later. This is only a problem after an hour on the dyno, the heat soak builds between running the bike and then making changes. The fuel in the tank itself gets quite warm too, something to be aware of if your not directly monitoring fuel pressure.
More as it happens.............

Old August 7th, 2016, 09:05 PM   #168
swarfman64
Master modder

Back on the case and......................Progress

Old August 8th, 2016, 05:04 AM   #169
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
How's it going?

Old August 9th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #170
swarfman64
Master modder

After a complete re-visit of the carbs I found in plain view a simple difference between these and other Keihin carbs used in boosted bikes. In short, the way the coast circuit is plumbed. This one system if not bypassed correctly is difficult to balance with boost pressure.
So I did some simple mods to a new set of carbs and fixed my mid range issue. There is still some fine tuning to be done but she's pretty close.
Standard ignition timing shows no signs of detonation. I did add 300 coils but not to solve any problems, just for simplicity and cleanliness.
Ive been running on the Dyno but not logging yet so no figures, but the pull from 4500 to 12000 in top gear is pretty nice.
I can only do small bits at a time with my other commitments but the end is near.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #171
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I look forward to seeing some numbers... Glad you are getting it sorted; wish I had the time and money I spend on a turbo build!

Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:10 AM   #172
swarfman64
Master modder

Small update on the blog for those interested

http://swarfman64.blogspot.com.au/20...o-project.html

Last futzed with by swarfman64; September 2nd, 2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Added link
swarfman64 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.