ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 7th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #1
LuxMundi
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R Black

Horrible advice

So I lost my job in Feb; no real surprise, I worked in construction, which is crashing worse than a Squid on meth.

Since I had to give up my company truck, I've been on the ninjette full time, which has brought the worst advice from family/concerned friends: "Sell your bike!!"

I am always very gracious and thankful for all advice, but the whole time, I'm thinking:

If you have to be broke, better to enjoy it on a Ninja than hate life in a cage.
LuxMundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I have been out of work since September. It is a very unsettling time. Good luck I worked for 27 years as a mechanic. Now I am going back to school to learn welding. Don't sell you bike.If it was a 1000 I would say sell it for a 250 . Keep the 60 mpg bike.That is cheap to maintain and repair.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #3
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I have been out of work since September. It is a very unsettling time. Good luck I worked for 27 years as a mechanic. Now I am going back to school to learn welding. Don't sell you bike.If it was a 1000 I would say sell it for a 250 . Keep the 60 mpg bike.That is cheap to maintain and repair.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #4
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

If you live in a place where you can ride the bike every day, all year round, then the 250 is definitely going to be much more economical than any car will ever be.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #5
dowmace
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Thats exactly what my family has been telling me, but I ride mine to all of my job apps and interviews, because the other option is my Tahoe so lets see 80mpg, or 8mpg? hmm maybe I should take the ninja and sell the tahoe...

Old April 7th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #6
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

WHY sell your bike? My goat, it is a quality of life issue. If you can afford it keep it.
In these times, (which in retrospect have been a good learning lesson) we need little things to keep us going. I know we have friends, family etc but sometimes we just need something for US and US alone. I am a Realtor and have had up to a 80 % cut in pay the past two years and being self employed am not eligable for unemployment.
I am watching people crash all around. Some who truly do not deserve it because they have been responsible with their money. I has been pretty depressing. I am glad I have my bike. Even if in the crappy weather I can't ride it, I can at least tinker with it.
Keeps me going and now things here in the west are finally starting to pick up.

You got to have things to keep your mind at peace.
But here I am giving you advice

Old April 7th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Why is it that non-riding folks always view the motorcycle as the financial liability. Sheesh. If you tell someone you are having hard times, instead of them suggesting perhaps cooking at home instead of eating out, or shutting off cable, or backing off on the iTunes downloads....the first thing they say is "Sell your bike".

NO RETARDS...the bike is the only financially responsible thing in the house. It eats less then anything else in the house, takes up less room than its counterparts, will give you entertainment after you shut off the cable and iTunes, might help you score a sugar momma (or daddy, depending on your gender), makes job hunting fun so you actually want to do it, and makes you retain your sanity so you dont up and just strangle the life out of a non-biker.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You guys get some phenominal gas mileage.

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Lucky for me, if I lost my job I'd keep my Mustang GT and my motorcycle. They are both paid off.

I'd honestly keep whatever makes the most sense to keep.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I'd honestly keep whatever makes the most sense to keep.
I think this is the bottom line. I live in freakin' Canada. If hard times fell upon me and I had to restrict myself to one vehicle for whatever reason, you can bet your sweet behind that the bike is going first.

Old April 8th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My sister keeps pointing out how expensive every little thing is for my 250. She's right... I've spent much more on maintaining it than she has on her car. Even economical bikes are expensive if you can't do ALL your own work.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #12
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
If hard times fell upon me and I had to restrict myself to one vehicle for whatever reason, you can bet your sweet behind that the bike is going first.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

All I have ever had is my ninja and I live in a place where it is still snowing in april xD

Sometimes I have to take the bus, but I still think its worth it

CZero has a point as well though, although I think bikes pull out the edge with the low initial cost and we dont ever get those HUGE bills when things go wrong.
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxMundi View Post
If you have to be broke, better to enjoy it on a Ninja than hate life in a cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowmace View Post
...because the other option is my Tahoe so lets see 80mpg, or 8mpg? hmm maybe I should take the ninja and sell the tahoe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
I know we have friends, family etc but sometimes we just need something for US and US alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Why is it that non-riding folks always view the motorcycle as the financial liability. Sheesh. If you tell someone you are having hard times, instead of them suggesting perhaps cooking at home instead of eating out, or shutting off cable, or backing off on the iTunes downloads....the first thing they say is "Sell your bike".

NO RETARDS...the bike is the only financially responsible thing in the house. It eats less then anything else in the house, takes up less room than its counterparts, will give you entertainment after you shut off the cable and iTunes, might help you score a sugar momma (or daddy, depending on your gender), makes job hunting fun so you actually want to do it, and makes you retain your sanity so you dont up and just strangle the life out of a non-biker.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #15
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My sister keeps pointing out how expensive every little thing is for my 250. She's right... I've spent much more on maintaining it than she has on her car. Even economical bikes are expensive if you can't do ALL your own work.
That's true...and sometimes there's just something you can't do yourself. This is coming from a guy that changes his own tires btw.

I gotta tell you, though....my car is expensive as hell to maintain.

Old April 8th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #16
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Hang in there Josh - been there and it can be rough. Keep a positive attitude. A great book is "What Color is your Parachute". It can provide you with a lot of ideas on how to move forward and make lemonade out of lemons.

Old April 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #17
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I think this is the bottom line. I live in freakin' Canada. If hard times fell upon me and I had to restrict myself to one vehicle for whatever reason, you can bet your sweet behind that the bike is going first.
hmmm you could keep the bike and use that huge sprawling transit system of yours lol
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #18
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
hmmm you could keep the bike and use that huge sprawling transit system of yours lol
LOL yea....or maybe even just invest in some awesome winter books and hike to work...which would probably be faster.