ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 21st, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
onepeon
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Thunder Blue

150/60/17 Rear tire

So I want to hear the options of people who have actually rode with a 150/60 17 rear tire.

I already bought a set of Mich Powers so before I install it and see for myself I want to hear others who have tried it.

I know that racebikerentals.com uses this size and they go thru tires all day. I did a lot of research and only hear bad things from it from people who have never rode or install them and good things from people who have installed them.

Let's get facts.

Thanks!
onepeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38470
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3
onepeon
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Thunder Blue

Thanks for the link.

Is $40 per tire a normal price to swap out tires? Anybody recommend a place in Philadelphia to swap tires and balance?
onepeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Should be about $10-15 / tire if you bring them the tire
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM   #5
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepeon View Post
Thanks for the link. Anybody recommend a place in Philadelphia to swap tires and balance?
If you look at the very bottom of any thread, it gives you additional links pertaining to the subject of the current thread! That's all I did...copied one of the links and replied with it!

To find an installer, go to this link and enter your zipcode:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx

Old June 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
If you look at the very bottom of any thread, it gives you additional links pertaining to the subject of the current thread! That's all I did...copied one of the links and replied with it!
yep, I'm finding that a very handy feature that I bet most don't use. I wonder if Alex could move that feature to the top of the thread instead of out of sight on the bottom. Alex?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think it's useful as well! But I'm wary about moving it too far upwards on the page. While it's important, it shouldn't take screen real estate from the thread you're on itself. With smaller laptop screens, folks would have to start scrolling down to start seeing even the 1st or second post in the thread.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM   #8
kkim

I agree. How about immediately after the last post in the thread... before that ad.

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

OK - it's moved up about as far as it can go. Need to leave it after that ad, turns out that ad location is the most successful, by a very wide margin, compared to every other location on the site. Can't explain why, but I'm not going to mess with it. The similar threads are now directly below it, trumping even the quick reply box. Let me know how this works for awhile...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM   #10
kkim

Thanks for being open to change. You Rock!!

Old June 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

No problem. Some things are easy, and some things are hard. Sometimes it's not easy to tell the difference externally. Moving existing items around on the page isn't too challenging, and is easy to move back if we change our minds. It's just editing a template rather than any particularly involved coding challenges. Hardest thing is to just make sure the spacing didn't get messed up.

Old June 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM   #12
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
To find an installer, go to this link and enter your zipcode:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx

Just thought I would bring this link back to the forefront, since onepeon did ask for installer info.

I too, do like the new location of similar links. Thanks Alex.

Old June 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #13
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I remember that thread (post #2) I started way back in the day....certainly helps to reread it.....

Months later---still as happy as a clam with my decision.....as stated before I love the 120/150 set up--I've had zero problems with it AND I just got back from a 280 mile trip-lots of freeway action...once again PERFECT.....

Let me know how it goes for you--love to see some pics of your tires
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
I've had zero problems with it
Other than crashing the bike with them the first time you took them to GMR after install.

Old June 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Other than crashing the bike with them the first time you took them to GMR after install.

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #16
adri99an

I have a short memory when it comes to low siding but it wasn't the tires that did any of that....coincidence

I've spoken to a few others that have the 150 set up and have read endlessly about it and many riders feel the same way as I do....I guess the best tire is what you like or prefer...many race with the 150 in the rear and love them as much as I do... some argue that this set up is unsafe and that a 140 in the rear is the largest option........I personally DO NOT think my rear had anything to do with low siding as I have been up in the canyon many....many...many times and have leaned her over many many times--again and again.....when I think back my low siding...it was due to gravel in my turn....and since have done that turn probably 50 times now with no ill effects....so going back to the question of who's ridden with them and is using them right now...I am and I enjoy them.....plus they look sexy hott unlike the 130 ten speed tire....

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I dunno, I just wish that all the facts were on the table when you describe your experiences with that set of tires. Heck, even the OP is up for that:

Quote:
Let's get facts.
No matter how much better you think they are performing, they couldn't keep the bike from lowsiding, right? There's a thread up here with several posters warning how the profile of your rear tire with the 150/60/17 003RS was *way* off based on the picture you posted, and it worried me; your crash soon after in some ways seemed to validate that concern. 120F/150R with the 003RS's seem to be a questionable idea for this bike on the street. 110F/140R for the 003RS's are a safer and better-performing option, while by many accounts 110F/150R on the BT-016's work pretty well as the 016's are narrower than the 003's.

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #18
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Name: :D

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE - SOLD 2004 CBR600RR Candy Blue (sportech wind Screen / OEM Sliders)

Quote:
So I want to hear the options of people who have actually rode with a 150/60 17 rear tire.

I already bought a set of Mich Powers so before I install it and see for myself I want to hear others who have tried it.

I know that racebikerentals.com uses this size and they go thru tires all day. I did a lot of research and only hear bad things from it from people who have never rode or install them and good things from people who have installed them.

Let's get facts.

Thanks!
let me start with this, mine is not Mich Power it's the Dunlop GT 150/70/17. looks 100 miles better than the stock rear tire.

here's my fact:
i have issues when making turns (let say cornering at speed of 40mph+) i feel like i'm riding on a wet road, slippery. maybe because it was brandnew.
WOWNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #19
adri99an

Quote:
I dunno, I just wish that all the facts were on the table when you describe your experiences with that set of tires. Heck, even the OP is up for that:

No matter how much better you think they are performing, they couldn't keep the bike from lowsiding, right? There's a thread up here with several posters warning how the profile of your rear tire with the 150/60/17 003RS was *way* off based on the picture you posted, and it worried me; your crash soon after in some ways seemed to validate that concern. 120F/150R with the 003RS's seem to be a questionable idea for this bike on the street. 110F/140R for the 003RS's are a safer and better-performing option, while by many accounts 110F/150R on the BT-016's work pretty well as the 016's are narrower than the 003's.
Well Alex-the BT003s WERE questionable back then......and now as I've ridden with them- there is no question in my mind about them...I have confidence in the tire and the set up...potatoes- patatoes...I've put 3000 miles on them- mostly canyon and enjoy them...I would go BT016s next run since these race tires don't last long.....the only REAL way to tell if they are performing is by someone that actually has them on and is using them day in and day out--not just from what someone thinks because the proof is in the pudding....talk is talk.....fact for me is that the BT003s did not cause the low siding....I know this because I've run these mucho times in the canyon and leaned the heck outta them and didn't slide. You cannot state that because one low sided it is entirely the tire's fault.....but that's just my opinion.

Old June 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
the only REAL way to tell if they are performing is by someone that actually has them on and is using them day in and day out--not just from what someone thinks because the proof is in the pudding....talk is talk.....
Adrian, this post and the one directly above it says it all to me. It shows how the 003RS's in the 140 on the rear fit the rim better, and have a much better profile for actually using all of the capabilities of the tire. Just look at the difference from post #10 to post #9 in that thread. The 150's are just too pinched, get way too close to vertical making a portion of the tire completely unusable, and causing the profile while at max lean to be unexpected and strange. Does it mean they are patently unsafe and a rider is likely to crash because of them? No, of course not. Especially on the street when any decent rider is well under the performance capabilities of the tire and the bike. But that fact alone doesn't make them a particularly great choice, unless the rider is overvaluing the way a wider tire looks compared to how it truly performs.

For example, try out a 140/70/17 003RS on the rear next time and let us know why it performs better, or worse, than the 150's in the 003RS. Or as you suggest, compare it the BT-016's in the 150/60/17 size, which are significantly smaller than the 003RS's. Tell us how the bike behaves more predictably at the limit with a particular tire combination. Tell us how you dropped 3 seconds a lap with the new setup. Tell us how it wears more evenly and lasts 20% longer. Tell us how it rides better with more damping on sharp-edged bumps. Or even, do exactly as you've done here and state that you have 'em, you like 'em, and you're getting them again. That's a data point that our members can evaluate for themselves, and the more data points like that the better.

I like the intent of this thread, and the more experiences that more of our members share with their different tire setups, the more information each of us will have to play with.

Old June 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I just realized that in this entire thread, there hasn't been enough mention about which particular models of the 150/60/17 we're all talking about. While a denoted size alone should represent the size of a tire, it turns out the actual dimensions can vary quite a bit. Richard's rental racebikes typically use the 150/60/17 of the Bridgestone BT-016's. That size is the smallest Bridgestone makes for the 016's. The profile seems OK, and is not as pinched as someone might expect; it appears to be a "narrow" 150, is the best way to describe it. The 150/60/17 in some other tires, even from the same manufacturer, have different actual sizes. The Bridgestone 003RS in a 150/60/17 appears much more pinched on the rim, with the profile affected much more than is noticeable on the BT-016's. The good news is that if you want a race tire, the 003RS is available in a 140/70/17, which fits our rims a bit better. There are varying reports about other models with the 150/60/17 size, from Pilot Powers to Diablos and others. Some of the fastest 250 racers (2:08 at THill, you kiddin' me??!!) are using the Pirellis.

Old June 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #22
adri99an

Well Alex- I may give the Pirellis a try...do they come in a 150? I'd love to hear what others are using and the type of tires as well. You have many valid points as far as the Bts go--I value them and may try the 140 next time around just to see what it's like compared to the 150.

Old June 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #23
kkim

I have one ride on a 150/60 bt016 rear tire. haven't pushed the tire due to it not being fully scrubbed in yet, but my initial reaction is that coming from a 140/70 bt090, the bt016 rides smoother, but feels a bit slower turning in corners, which I expected. So far, I like the tire and can live with it until it wears out.

Last futzed with by kkim; June 29th, 2010 at 12:26 PM.

Old June 28th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #24
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

I run the BT016 in 150 and love them. I might switch to the 003RS in 140 but I hear those do not last as long so I decided to go with the BT016 for now.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #25
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
coming from a 140/70 bt040
BT040 or BT090?

Old June 29th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #26
kkim

Quote:
BT040 or BT090?
bt090... fixed my post. thanks.

that's what I get for posting from memory while at work.

Old June 30th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #27
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

The Pirellis Sport Demons come in 150/70/17. I have a 130/70/17 installed on my bike and it performs great for most days.

I notice that I get pushed around a bit more in strong winds even compared to the stock 130 tires but in the twisties, the Pirellis are in their element. On the stock tires, I can sometimes feel the rear sliding slightly when I run wide into a corner and have to lean more / accelerate harder to make it out. The Pirellis, once they heat up a bit are like glue! Even in the wet, I have never had them slip or slide on me under any circumstance.

So the tires themselves are definitely made of good stuff. As for how well the 150s are, I couldn't tell you.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #28
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Bt-16 150/60 on the rear and love it. Had NO issues at the track with this tire. Gives AWESOME grip. Good price, and lasts a long time. What more can you ask for?? The leap from GT501 (which I lowsided on due to lack of grip among other things) to BT-16 resulted in over a 2 1/2 second improvement in lap times.
I love bt-16 tire, I run them on my FZ at the track with good results.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #29
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Bt-16 150/60 on the rear and love it. Had NO issues at the track with this tire. Gives AWESOME grip. Good price, and lasts a long time. What more can you ask for?? The leap from GT501 (which I lowsided on due to lack of grip among other things) to BT-16 resulted in over a 2 1/2 second improvement in lap times.
I love bt-16 tire, I run them on my FZ at the track with good results.
Would love to see a pic from the rear with that tire....

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM   #30
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

heres a pic of the "pinch" on the rim.
You can see that it is pinched a little and therfore you cant scrub off the rubber all the way to the edge of the tire.

The tire itself doesnt look that much bigger than the stock 501's that came on the bike.
The improvement in lap times tells the tale. Dont buy this tire if your looking for the "fat" rear tire look. You will be disappointed. If you want a adhesion improvement this tire is for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0011.jpg (68.3 KB, 96 views)

Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:28 AM   #31
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
heres a pic of the "pinch" on the rim.
You can see that it is pinched a little and therfore you cant scrub off the rubber all the way to the edge of the tire.

The tire itself doesnt look that much bigger than the stock 501's that came on the bike.
The improvement in lap times tells the tale. Dont buy this tire if your looking for the "fat" rear tire look. You will be disappointed. If you want a adhesion improvement this tire is for you.

Mine looks exactly like that--I thought the BT016 didn't pinch as the BT003s--but there it is. I don't think this affects the way the tire functions as I've had mine on for 3000+ miles.....but some would argue otherwise. I wonder if the BT045 150 pinches this way?

Anyone have one on their ride that can post a pic?

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM   #32
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

I ordered a set of BT-016 (110/70 and 150/60) front/rear and currently sitting in my closet waiting fo this stupid GT501 to wear out so I can put them on.
I love the BT016..feel so smooth on the road, much more confidence in turns, so well planed compared to the 501...oh wait da minute..these are for "later"
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #33
adri99an

My rear 150 BT003.....my pinch resembles the BT016 pinch where the sidewalls will never get used...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050018.jpg (98.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg P1050020.jpg (92.8 KB, 54 views)

Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I want to make sure we're on the same page in terms of what people are telling you about "pinch". Pinch does not mean that you can't get to the edge of the tire. It just means that the tire is too wide for the rim, causing weirdness with the tire profile, different stresses on the tire that it wasn't designed for, and unpredictable results. Here's the 016 in 150 width that almost40 posted up:

Look at the red angle. This is how much the tire had to be pulled in to fit on the rim. It looks more than some tires, but not extreme. The edge of the tire's contact patch (in green) does start to look pretty steep, and likely isn't completely usable, but it's still an arc from the center of the tire all the way to the edge.

Here's the 003RS in 150 width that you posted up:

Look at the red angle, and see how far the tire had to be pulled in to fit on the rim. The angle is much steeper than on the 016. To the point that it will cause weirdness with the profile as the tire is mounted. That's one of the reasons that you and Mike noticed that waviness in the tire when it was new. And it's one of the reasons that the wear pattern isn't even, just by looking at the edge of the tire that you've used. Look at the areas near the blue arrows, showing how the wear pattern gets wavy at the same lean angle. Tires shouldn't look like that. It's a clear indicator that the contact patch is getting weird while you're leaned over.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM   #35
adri99an

I see what you're saying Alex- never disagreed with you about the waves produced or the pinch.....

Looking at the BT016-I didn't think it would also have that mini sidewall (in green) you pointed out...I'm guessing any 150 is going to do this? What do you think? Maybe one day you could come down south--drive my Ninja and tell me how the tire feels to you?

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I wouldn't stress about that area that's unused (the green part). Depending on particular tires and the way particular bikes are set up, sometimes the usable part of a tire isn't all the way to the edge, even with hard parts of the bike dragging along the road.

I don't know whether any 150 would also have a similar unusable area, but perhaps. I'd be curious to see what one of Richard's rear tires look like before they are taken off the racebikes.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #37
kkim

I believe Richard has mentioned before that the 016 tires he used on the ninjette were not able to use that last bit of tire. I guess he's so much of a noob, yo, that he's not able to heel the bike over to use all of it.

Chicken strips... how unsightly.

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #38
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I believe Richard has mentioned before that the 016 tires he used on the ninjette were not able to use that last bit of tire. I guess he's so much of a noob, yo, that he's not able to heel the bike over to use all of it.

Chicken strips... how unsightly.
Yes, Richard did mention that the 016 will have chicken strips but the 003 in 140 form will not have any.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #39
almost40

If Richard can wear a BT-16 to the edge then hes my Hero. I dont see it as possible. My front tire is worn all the way to the edge but its the stock size. You would run out of front tire long before you got to the edge of the rear on a BT-16. Of course you might scuff up the edge of the rear while your bike is sliding on its side down the track

Old July 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #40
gwynnus
ninjette.org member

Name: Neville

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, vespa gts 300

I run my 250 on a 150/60 rear and a 120/60 front, both soft compound Contis - prefer it that way and not just aesthetically. It's not so twitchy and I feel I have more control round corners.
gwynnus is offline   Reply With Quote