ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 5th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Name: :D

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE - SOLD 2004 CBR600RR Candy Blue (sportech wind Screen / OEM Sliders)

How much do you think?

here it goes...

my friend likes my bike (2010 SE Black and Red) and i mentioned to him that i am planning to sell my bike and buy a 6R or R6. He asked me how much? paused and hhmmm...

the bike has less than 155 miles (basically brand new), new rear 150 dunlop, undertail bikelitz and a DIY painted wind shield. The bike is very clean. told him too that the jacket and pair gloves (speed and strenght) and the helmet (fulmer) comes with the bike.

so how much do you think i should price him?

ps. the bike is city driving only no highways.
WOWNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

How good a friend is this guy?

Anyway, your best bet is to look at craigslist or kijiji to see what similar bikes are going for and start from there.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #3
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE - SOLD 2004 CBR600RR Candy Blue (sportech wind Screen / OEM Sliders)

a good officemate friend...

I have seen for sale at craigslists 2009 with at least 3500 miles selling at $3500. i have seen one sold at $3500 2009 black with only 700 miles on it.

i am actually thinking around $4000 comes with everything i mentioned above.

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
It has been my experience never to sell something to a friend/co-worker. If something goes wrong with the bike it could ruin your relationship.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #5
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWNinja View Post
a good officemate friend...

I have seen for sale at craigslists 2009 with at least 3500 miles selling at $3500. i have seen one sold at $3500 2009 black with only 700 miles on it.

i am actually thinking around $4000 comes with everything i mentioned above.
Given how new the bike is I'd say that's a pretty good deal you're giving him....up here in Canada we have 2008 models going for $4000+ lol.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
It has been my experience never to sell something to a friend/co-worker. If something goes wrong with the bike it could ruin your relationship.
- oh yes perfect ingredient to ruin a relationship... thanks for the advise Snake i will take note of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Given how new the bike is I'd say that's a pretty good deal you're giving him....up here in Canada we have 2008 models going for $4000+ lol.
- WOW that's pricey...

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
fenwaynomar45
Greenman!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

y r u selling off all the gear too if your planning on getting another bike? color?
fenwaynomar45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
here it goes...

my friend likes my bike (2010 SE Black and Red) and i mentioned to him that i am planning to sell my bike and buy a 6R or R6. He asked me how much? paused and hhmmm...

the bike has less than 155 miles (basically brand new), new rear 150 dunlop, undertail bikelitz and a DIY painted wind shield. The bike is very clean. told him too that the jacket and pair gloves (speed and strenght) and the helmet (fulmer) comes with the bike.

Is this your first bike?

Is "strenght" the same as "strength"?

Are you ready for a 600?

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

The bike only has 155 miles on it, but you put a new back tire on it already?

I'm not sure why you think you would be able to get $4,000 for this bike when he can go to a dealer and get it for $3,999. When you consider that you ruined the windscreen and changed the OEM rear fender, I would think that this would deduct money from the bike's value.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #10
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

With only 155 miles on it and still in the break in period i seriously doubt that he could of done anything to the bike that would cause something to go wrong. If it was at least a year old with over a couple thousand miles i may be little worried about selling to a friend.

Old July 13th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #11
caliente103
ninjette.org member

Name: HECTOR

Motorcycle(s): Red 08 250r

keep it and save your $$$
Posted via Mobile Device
caliente103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Honestly, I say get as much as you can. I've given "deals" to friends only to find them flipping it for more money. They pissed me off and I let them know that it did. One actually gave me some of the profit as an apology. It helped, but I hooked him up with the "deal" (mustang GT) because I planned on seeing it turn around and help make it a true street/track car. So yeah I was mad.

Now I don't do that. I'll hook up my little brother, but I set rules when I "hook him up". Not to mention I threaten him with my black belt in TaeKwonDo as a friendly reminder that I am serious. hahahah

No point in selling the bike right now honestly. Only 155 miles, you still have a ton of payments. Honestly I'd spend just a little extra and get a nice new on with 0 miles.

I do want to upgrade from my 250, but honestly I really love my 250. So that is why I still have mine...even though I want a zx10. I'm in no rush because I really enjoy the 250.

If it is your first bike, once you get rid of it, you WILL miss it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #13
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
The bike only has 155 miles on it, but you put a new back tire on it already?

I'm not sure why you think you would be able to get $4,000 for this bike when he can go to a dealer and get it for $3,999. When you consider that you ruined the windscreen and changed the OEM rear fender, I would think that this would deduct money from the bike's value.
You cannot get a bike for $3,999 out the door from a dealership, especially a special edition. That price is most likely minus tax, registration, license, etc. The bare bones price that you can probably get a new 250 is about $4,500 to $4,700 and that is a non-special edition.

Anyways, I wouldn't sell to friends. Good luck on what you decide to do.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #14
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You still have to pay sales tax and register a bike purchased from a private party. You pay the tax when you go to register it.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
here it goes...

Sounds like you rode the 250 for about a day and a half. Why are you jumping to a 600?

Old July 14th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #16
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I think $4000 is a bit high. Your DIY windscreen mod actually reduces the value of the bike, and the undertail adds nothing unless he specifically wants that mod. The gear you're throwing in might be worth something to him, but you really can't expect to get much for used gear. All new bikes come with new tires so you can't charge him extra for the new tire, even though it's a 150 size tire. He will still have to pay tax and tag when he registers it so he's still looking at around $4500 in total. He could probably do better than that elsewhere if he's a good haggler. I think a fair price is in the $3300- $3500 range.

Old July 14th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #17
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
You cannot get a bike for $3,999 out the door from a dealership, especially a special edition. That price is most likely minus tax, registration, license, etc. The bare bones price that you can probably get a new 250 is about $4,500 to $4,700 and that is a non-special edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
You still have to pay sales tax and register a bike purchased from a private party. You pay the tax when you go to register it.
tjkamper makes my point. You can't compare an OTD price at a dealer to a private sale price. There are still fees and taxes to pay. You would however not have to pay any kind of dealer fees (delivery, assembly, etc.). As for it being a "Special Edition", this is just a way for Kawi to charge people more money. It's just colors or decals. In an after market sale, I'm not really sure how much value these things add.

I do wish the OP well with the sale. And if he is not in a big hurry, I would list it at $4K to see what kind of offers he gets.

Old July 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #18
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
No point in selling the bike right now honestly. Only 155 miles, you still have a ton of payments.
Unless he paid cash for the bike.

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

True

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #20
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
tjkamper makes my point. You can't compare an OTD price at a dealer to a private sale price. There are still fees and taxes to pay. You would however not have to pay any kind of dealer fees (delivery, assembly, etc.). As for it being a "Special Edition", this is just a way for Kawi to charge people more money. It's just colors or decals. In an after market sale, I'm not really sure how much value these things add.

I do wish the OP well with the sale. And if he is not in a big hurry, I would list it at $4K to see what kind of offers he gets.
His friend wants the special edition colors and if he buys it new from the dealership he will have to spend more. It doesn't stop people here on Craigslist, etc from listing their bike as special edition and trying to get more money for it. There are ways around the tax, I have seen people here do favors for friends and write a bill of sale for much less than what the actual sale price is... yea I know its not right but I have still seen it done. $4k does sound high, but it doesn't hurt to list that price and see what kinds of offers he gets.

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #21
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Quote:
There are ways around the tax, I have seen people here do favors for friends and write a bill of sale for much less than what the actual sale price is... yea I know its not right but I have still seen it done.
Its not right? Tax has already been paid on the motorcycle, having someone write less then what was actually sold isn't such a big deal. Government always wants a piece of something, I think its fair to pay as less as possible on tax, IMO...only because, as i mentioned earlier, tax was paid on the bike, why should it be paid again and again and again.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #22
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Its not right? Tax has already been paid on the motorcycle, having someone write less then what was actually sold isn't such a big deal. Government always wants a piece of something, I think its fair to pay as less as possible on tax, IMO...only because, as i mentioned earlier, tax was paid on the bike, why should it be paid again and again and again.
I don't understand the law on taxes but I just know when you buy anything new or used there there is always tax on it (unless you hail from one of those states that doesn't have tax), such used cars/bikes from dealerships, used games, used movies, heck even used books. When I moved from CT to CA I had to pay tax on my car again... stupid use tax. Heck even with online purchases you are supposed to keep the receipts if you don't pay tax on the item and then report it when it comes tax time.

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Tax is collected just about any time something changes hands, it's just the way the system was set up. It's unlikely there are ramifications from putting a lower sales price on the bill of sale for a relatively low-priced motorcycle, but there have been crackdowns in the car world. Due to so many people putting quite low amounts, some DMV's have started to use blue-book value to determine the appropriate tax and just ignore what people declare as the sales price. Check out this thread that shows the letter someone received from the NY DMV for a car where the seller did put a low sales price on that bill of sale.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #24
Blackwidow

i agree. its really stupid and dumb it all works out. I sold my old car privately and I sold it for 2g's, on the bill of sale I wrote that i sold the car for $500, at the end of the year, i took the copy of the bill of sale to my accountant and the kelly blue book value at the time of sale and wrote it off as loss. so it was a win win, for me and the buyer.

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #25
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Check out this thread .
WOW, talk about sneaky bastuds!!!

I guess if the value is suppose to be 11K and you write 5K its a huge difference, it raises a redflag. But knocking off a FEW g's shouldn't be a problem.

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #26
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
i agree. its really stupid and dumb it all works out. I sold my old car privately and I sold it for 2g's, on the bill of sale I wrote that i sold the car for $500, at the end of the year, i took the copy of the bill of sale to my accountant and the kelly blue book value at the time of sale and wrote it off as loss. so it was a win win, for me and the buyer.
It's also illegal.

Old July 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #27
LuxMundi
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R Black

sounds fair

Keep in mind that some people will shop 'til they drop to save a bit, while others just want a good solid deal with no hassle.

I probably overpaid for my used bike, but they had exactly what I wanted, close to home, and a good transaction. Yeah, you can save alot by shopping on craigslist, but especially in an urban sprawl area like ATL, you can eat up half a day just to kick the tires.
LuxMundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2010, 04:14 PM   #28
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I seldom thing.

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #29
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwaynomar45 View Post
y r u selling off all the gear too if your planning on getting another bike? color?
yes color...

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #30
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I seldom thing.
I agree with you.

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #31
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

sorry wasn't around for almost a couple of weeks, busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Honestly, I say get as much as you can. I've given "deals" to friends only to find them flipping it for more money. They pissed me off and I let them know that it did. One actually gave me some of the profit as an apology. It helped, but I hooked him up with the "deal" (mustang GT) because I planned on seeing it turn around and help make it a true street/track car. So yeah I was mad.

If it is your first bike, once you get rid of it, you WILL miss it.
My friend is not flipping the bike he loves my bike the first time he seen her and i was not thinking of selling it until he made some gestures, to her.

Please don't remind me... i'm starting to miss her...

Quote:
Thanks but we already processed the papers.

Quote:
Friends and couple of dealer agents told me not to register my bike to save couple of bucks, they mentioned about open title or something. What the hell i would rather visit DVM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Sounds like you rode the 250 for about a day and a half. Why are you jumping to a 600?
i don't ride the bike much coz i'm with bunch of bikers with at least 600cc - 1400cc that comes with dynojet and everytime i rode with them i always left behind and they have to slow down just for me. Every saturday instead of riding my 250 i ended up riding my friends CBR and i feel like i'm cheating on her. She's like a pet to me, i think she will be more happier if she'll have a new home. I will miss her, yes.

Quote:
Unless he paid cash for the bike.
We decided to do it bank to bank.

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #32
WOWNinja
oh yes it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Is this your first bike?
Is "strenght" the same as "strength"?
Are you ready for a 600?
My first (small) crotch rocket, i have owned small bikes prior to this.

I would say that strenght can be acquired in the long run after you get used to the new bike.

Ready for a 600? - My wife, friends, and more friends asked the same question and i answered them, why not and

Thanks a lot CC Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
With only 155 miles on it and still in the break in period i seriously doubt that he could of done anything to the bike that would cause something to go wrong. If it was at least a year old with over a couple thousand miles i may be little worried about selling to a friend.
You're right BlueRaven the bike sounds and looks like brandnew and there is nothing that i did to the bike that would cause to go wrong. except for couple of modifications, i would say improvement .

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente103 View Post
keep it and save your $$$
Posted via Mobile Device
I really wish i could keep her... thanks